PDA

View Full Version : 100 Day Thru-Hike for Students ?

kellett117
12-21-2003, 02:29
I'm just looking for some thoughts and opinions here:

My friend and I are both relatively experienced Hikers, in very good shape, and 20 years old. We're looking to thru-hike the AT, but would like to avoid taking a semester off from school to do so. Also, being college students, we're very poor :).

Do any of you experienced hikers out there feel that it is feasible to thru hike in 100-110 days and only spend about $1500?

We realize it's a sizeable undertaking, but we're motivated individuals ...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2003, 03:56
Totally doable. $1500 each or combined? I'm assuming combined. Go fori it.

RagingHampster
12-21-2003, 08:12
You'll have to average about 20 miles a day, assuming you take no zero days in towns. Is that $1500 for both of you, or $1500 each?

tribes
12-21-2003, 10:19
Check out trailjournals.com and look for Jersey Joe. He finished in 110 days or so and did the entire trail for about 1400 dollars. This journal will give you perspective of what you are going to get yourself into. You will have to average big miles and limit time in town and be reserved to the fact that you are going to be moving faster then most which means you will not be able to stay with any particular group. Some of his biggest problems were racing maildrops and having a heavy pack. Check it out! :jump

rumbler
12-21-2003, 10:46
Met a SOBO at the Long Trail Inn who was attempting to hike the trail in 100 days. He had done it previously as a NOBO and had taken 5 months. To give you an idea of the discipline he had to maintain, he had only one Guiness and spent only a couple of hours (laundry) at one of the most refreshing stops on the trail.

Nice guy, he had by necessity become a gearhead, doing everything he could do to get his full pack weight to about 12 pounds. I couldn't hike that way, but then I am old and addicted to a few creature comforts, like warmth and food.

He said he had averaged about 20 miles a day to that point, but hoped to pick it up as he continued south. It is an odd form of thru-hike, seemingly about the physical challenge as much as the trail. Certainly it drastically reduces the opportunities to enjoy some of the unique places and people associated with the trail.

But if it's all the time and cash that you have, it sure beats staying at home and watching television.

Peaks
12-21-2003, 11:19
Is the trail doable in 100 days (14 weeks)? There are some. Flying Brian is one. But he trained for a year before starting out, and he is an ultramarathoner.

But, averaging 22 miles per day, 150 miles per week would be a real challenge for most of us. Consider that in the survey done by Roland Mueser of 1989 thru-hikers, and published in his book "Long Distance Hiking," only 10% did the trail in less than 21 weeks or fewer. And you want to do it in 2/3 of that time?

If you only have 14 weeks, my advice would be to do 1/2 to 3/4 of the trail and enjoy yourselves. It's too good an experience to rush through at 150 miles per week.

$1400 budget? probably adequate for 1 person for 14 weeks, provided that you limit your visits to towns. That means minimizing hotel/motel stays, minimizing meals bought, and no beer and alchohol. But should allow money for some extras.
(After all, if you back figure $1.00 per mile, or $2200 for an average thru-hike of 25 weeks, that works out to about $100 per week.)

RagingHampster
12-21-2003, 11:34
Not athru-hiker myself, but would recommend going for half the trail. Maybe you could do a couple sections, go from Springer to Roanoke, grab a greyhound bus, and then go from Vermont to Katahdin.

Thats what I'd try to do anyways :)

kellett117
12-21-2003, 12:01
The $1500 would be for each person, so a total of $3,000 for the two of us.

While doing half or parts of the trail is a good option and would be enjoyable, we'd be making a sizeable investment with what money we have and we wouldn't complete the trail. Call it vanity, but I feel that my money would be better spent if I could complete the whole thing ... even if it is a bit more difficult.

We would plan to start around mid-May of this year and finish 100 -110 days later ...

We live in New England, so we would in essence be walking home. Something has to be said for the mental benefits of that....

:)

Bankrobber
12-21-2003, 12:06
Its doable, but I don't think it will be particularly fun. I had some time constraints on my hike. My brother was getting in married in the last few days of August, and school began just after that. I found myself at Swift Run Gap in Shenandoah NP on June 18, with about 1250 miles to go by August 28. I made it and I had a great time. It was not a particularly relaxed hike. I only was able to take 2 zeroes (one in Duncannon and one at my parents' place in Southern Vermont). You will not have the luxury of saying to yourself, "I am tired today, I will only hike eight miles today." While others drastically cut back their miles through the Whites, you will have to maintain at least fifteen miles a day. That is pretty tough in that section. If you are into hiking in groups, it can be hard to find someone moving at your pace.
On the other hand, keeping a fast pace gives you a certain freedom. You are not ever stuck in packs of people who encourage you to hike at their speed. You also get to meet a large number of people because you move faster than the average thru-hiker.
If you decide to hike, I have some recommendations. Hit the trail in great shape. Be ready to average 15-20 through Georgia. Start pushing 20s and the occasional 30 once you are in or past the Smokies. Keep this fast pace all the way through Virginia, the mid-Atlantic states, and Southern New England. Give yourself time through New Hampshire and Southern Maine. It is a beautiful area, and you risk injury if you hike too fast or hike at night through the area. You can start picking up your pace at Grafton Notch, just after the Mahoosucs in Maine. I don't think Maine is nearly as tough as some say, but my opinion is most likely the result of having adjusted myself to the Whites and Mahoosucs. You can cruise through Maine once you get a hang of hiking over rocks and roots.
Also, keep your pack as light as possible. Under 25 pounds is advisable.
However much of the trail you hike, enjoy your trip.

bearbag hanger
12-21-2003, 12:19
The $1500 would be for each person, so a total of $3,000 for the two of us.

While doing half or parts of the trail is a good option and would be enjoyable, we'd be making a sizeable investment with what money we have and we wouldn't complete the trail. Call it vanity, but I feel that my money would be better spent if I could complete the whole thing ... even if it is a bit more difficult.

We would plan to start around mid-May of this year and finish 100 -110 days later ...

We live in New England, so we would in essence be walking home. Something has to be said for the mental benefits of that....

:)

I think it's more than doable. You're young and hopefully, it much better shape than most of us. You will need to be in really good shape from the very start. I see the appeal of doing the trail in 100 or 110 days. Your asking a lot of your body. Our bodies are in need of a rest day every seven to ten days (it's not by accident that we have seven days in a week). Plus, you're going to have to eat a whole lot of food, or you'll get sick and have to drop out early. Even then, you'll be burning more calories than you can eat. If you kept this sort of pace up long enough, you would starve to death!

On the other hand, it's been done and I see no reason it can't be done again.

Money? I think you'll manage that to. Just spend your money on food and almost nothing else and you'll do fine. Although, I hope the $1,500 doesn't include the gear you'll need to start the trip.

Go for it!

Moon Monster
12-21-2003, 12:33
Motivation is the key and if you really have enough of it then go for it.

One concern I have for you is that you would be going as a pair. Trying to stay lock step together for 14 weeks at such a torrid pace could lead to occasional trouble since pacing at that speed should be very individual rather than regressing to your mean. Consider allowing each other to get slightly ahead or behind from time to time, i.e., make individual decisions each day as to how far to go.

I saw three ultra-lighters (12 lb. packs or lighter, or van supported) this year who all did the trail in fewer than 100 days. One did it in about 85 days, I think. I met that guy a couple times while I myself was moving rather fast, but I couldn't keep up with his discipline. He wouldn't neccessarily hike fast, he would just hike all day long--5:30am to 8:30 pm, every single day. He did 30-40 mile days. He had taken one zero day from Springer to New Jersey. I saw him enter a town for resupply and he spent litterally just a half hour buying groceries and eating at a restaurant--that itself takes discipline. He did not do maildrops, instead he resupplied every 1-3 days, never longer. He carried just a half quart of water at a time, drinking instead at the water sources. His pack was close to 8 pounds with food and water.

The first NOBO to finish this year supposedly was sub-100 days, and he still started in the colder times. He almost drowned in the Kennebec, though, because he apparently was in too much of a hurry and too stubborn to wait for daylight and lower river levels--don't let your pace put you in jeopardy, be smart and let up when warranted.

Most $$ is spent while not moving along the trail (in towns on lodging and replacement gear). At a 100 day pace, it should be very easy to spend less than $1500 each, and even possible to spend less than $1500 for your pair. I met an ultra-cheap pair in the south who were trying to do as much of the trail as possible on something like $700 or so for the both of them. They made it at least as far as Harpers Ferry. I have no idea how much farther they got, but that's 1000 miles on $350 each. That's an extreme case, and I think budegting for an adequate diet with lots of fat calories and calcium is essential for a fast pace and sanity.

All that said, I implore you to consider spreading the hike out over two summers or better: take a winter semester off. A 100 day pace could lead to burn out, you would be at a much greater risk of not finishing than if you gave yourself five months. The thru-hike is worth delaying graduation by a semester. You could even pack in the courses over next sumemr or in other semesters to make it up. Unless you have dependents to provide for or rigid scholarships to keep, there is no reason to rush for a speedy undergrad graduation.

tlbj6142
12-21-2003, 13:10
People do the PCT (500 miles longer) in roughly 110 days every year. Don't let the nay-sayers get you down. You can do it.

People don't typically do the AT in a hundred days simplly because they don't have to. The hiking season in the east is almost 10 months long (assuming you don't mind a bit if winter in the south). So, thru-hikers have the "luxury" of going slow. Getting drunk in towns and doing 10 mile days.

Check out messages posted by "chris", he finished the PCT (2650 miles) this past summer ('03) in less than 110 days. In particular check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2346).

Quick math...

15 weeks == 105 days
15 6-day weeks = 90 days

2150 miles / 90 days = 24 miles per day doing 6-day weeks.

If you are truely in shape. 24 miles a day on a 15 hour day is a mere 1.6 mph. Or 15 hours with a 15 minute break per hour (11.25 hours of hiking per day) at 2.2 mph. 2.2 mph is very doable. Most thrus do at least 2.5-3.5 mph once they get into shape. Tell me how many thrus actually take a 15 minute break per hour??!?! Not many. They sleep in 'till 10am and then rush to the next shelter just to sit on their ass from 5pm 'till bedtime. That sounds quite boring to me. I'd rather take 15 minute quiet rest stop every hour. Rather than spend 4-5 hours sitting around camp per day.

If you seriously make an effort to take a 15 minute break per hour (or 30 minutes in 2 hours, etc.), you will not be tired or exhausted at the end of the day. Eat your breakfast, snacks and lunch while hiking. Eat your "cooked dinner" during the late afternoon during a 30-45 minute break.

Edit:

Going this "fast" you should never need to carry more than 3 days worth of food. As such your pack weight (including food and water) should never exceed 20# (25# at most). Shopping sales, you can easily purchase a pack, shelter and bag for less than $200 and still keep your total dry pack weight below 10#. If you make your own gear, or spend a bit more. You can have a dry pack weight below 8# without much effort. Which puts your "wet" weight around 18# for 3 full days worth of supplies.

Don't underestimate the importance of eating the correct amount of food. You won't be able to "cheat" and fuel-up in towns. Read Chris' thread (link above) on the topic.

Also consider a flip-flop. Start at Harpers Farry, WV (easy train/bus access) and hike south to GA. Then flip back to Harpers Farry, WV and hike north to special K. This way your first few weeks won't be as trying as if you started in GA.

Good luck. :jump :banana :clap

MOWGLI
12-21-2003, 13:43
Do any of you experienced hikers out there feel that it is feasible to thru hike in 100-110 days and only spend about $1500?

You can do it! My friend Linguini did a SOBO hike in 2001 in less than 100 days. It was physically & emotionally taxing on him, but he is also more than twice your age.

Go for it, and have fun trying!

rickb
12-21-2003, 14:23
You may find that hiking fast with a partner is more difficult than hiking fast without one. Apart from physical differences, having a tight shedule can interject some "special" dynamics into any partnership.

Since you spoke of an "investment", you might want to hedge that investment by making sure you each have your own stove, tent, etc. And talk about under what eventualities either of one of you might want to leave the other behind, with no hard feelings.

Anyone know of fast time for two people to have hiked the trail together?

Rick B

tlbj6142
12-21-2003, 14:29
Anyone know of fast time for two people to have hiked the trail together?Ray and Jenny Jardine come to mind.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2003, 15:16
I ran support for a friend back in 91 who did the AT in 56 days. He was fat and out of shape when he started. Averaged 38 miles per day @ 2.8 miles per hour. It's a mind game. You can do it.

Peaks
12-21-2003, 17:53
Everyone here seems to say go for it. I'd like to suggest that you do some soul searching. The facts are that very few thru-hikers do the trail in less than 100 days. If you think you are one of them, then all the more power to you. However, if you are anywhere near the average, you will need at least 20 weeks.

A-Train
12-21-2003, 19:07
All the opinions stated above are good ones. Certainly a lot to think about. I'd suggest reading Highlander II's journal on trailjournals.com He hiked the trail in just over 3 months. As Moonmonster suggested, a few others did it in the time as well. They spent the overwhelming majority of the hike alone, mostly because most other folks didn't want to keep up that pace.
To me the most important and enjoyable aspect of my thru-hike was the people. 8 out of 10 thru-hikers would probably agree. To me not having the time to meet and talk with all the eclectic people out there doing the same thing as you is a big mistake, but I also respect those who wish to have a different hike. I hiked the trail in 5 months, could have physically done it in 4 months, but would not have wanted to do so, especially in 3 months. I'm 20, a college student too, and in pretty good shape. I would never want to bring about that much pain and damage to your body.
As others suggested, i'd either spread it over two summers or take a semester. Taking a semester off from school to hike the Trail was the most rewarding thing I've done in my life.

hungryhowie
12-21-2003, 19:53
I'm glad to see many of the posts here are in support of you following your dreams. That's great. In the past, I've seen quite a bit of negative feedback for ideas like this, people suggesting that you're not getting the "true essence" of the trail and b/s like that. The trail is just that: a trail. To each his own, hike your own hike, whatever floats your boat. The trail is what you make of it. While I certainly wouldn't want to HAVE to hike the trail in 100 days because of a time deadline, that's certainly not to say that I wouldn't do it in that amount without one. In 2000, I hiked the trail in 175 days (and that was with nearly 40 zero days along the way). I spent $1700 on trail expenses (every expense from Springer to Maine not including transit to or from the trail). I slept in a hostel about once/week and in a hotel (never by myself, I always split a room), about 7 or 8 times. I ended up buying about 1/2 of my food along the way and replaced a few worn-out gear items too. $1500 is certainly doable - it'll keep you in the woods more, but it is a trail afterall. The biggest expense that others had was the purchase of alcohol. Bar tabs add up quickly, and even though I took a leisurely pace and hung with some true partiers at times, my bills were considerably less than theirs since I don't drink.

My advice is to begin hiking with the intent of doing the entire trail in 100 days (or whatever you have). Plan for the whole trail and try. If, however, you get out there are 100 days doesn't seem feasable to you for whatever reason, either slow down and enjoy what part of the trail you can, or skip fall semester and keep on hiking. There's nothing less glorious about doing the trail in 2 or more sections. If anything, you may be better off (attitude wise) doing it that way. I took off 2 semesters from school to do this and enjoyed every moment. I had hiking friends that had to speed up in NH and Maine (IMO the prettiest part of the trail) to get done in time for school, and this was the part that I wanted to savor the most. Follow your heart. It can be done (and has been many times).

-Howie

kellett117
12-21-2003, 22:26
Thank you everyone for the input ... so far it's been very very helpful. I particularly like what you have to say, Howie ... to me no harm can be done in giving it a try. Please keep the advice coming if you have any ... it's a huge help.

--Brian

icemanat95
12-21-2003, 23:27
I'm in the "doable, but why?" category. Why do you want to commit yourselves to what, in essence, would be a high stress death march.

I've met folks trying to do what you are proposing, and they were miserable. Their feet were a bloody wreck (and I mean that literally) they never really MET anyone on the trail, they were constantly pushing, never had time to stop and smell the flowers, or the pines, or the ramps, or whatever.

Why do you want to hike the AT? Are you just putting a notch in your belt? If so, cease and desist. The AT isn't an extreme sport. Nor is it some elite training ground. At it's simplest, it is a long vacation. At it's most profound, it is a sacred journey of the spirit.

If all you want to do is punch out the miles and say you did it, then cut out the middle man, go down to Mexico for the Summer, come back and say you hiked the AT. No one is going to call you a liar, because no-one will know one way or the other. Sure you will be cheating yourself, but if you run through the whole 2170 mile trip, you'll be cheating yourself anyhow.

Someone once suggested that there should be an award for the longest continuous thru-hike (without excessive town time). I tend to concur with that. I'm not just saying that because my hike was long (6 months, 8 days), but because in that 6 months, 8 days, I still felt like I had to rush and was missing stuff I ought to have spent time to see. There are a thousand blue-blazed side trails to waterfalls and scenic overlooks, little loop trails leading into little coves and grottos. They shouldn't be missed. You could spend a month hiking the various loops and side trails in the White Mountains alone, and The Great Smoky Mountain Park deserves far more attention than most thru-hikers give her. The same for the Shenandoah, and Grayson Highlands and Mt. Rogers State Parks.

If you really want to hike the AT, don't rush it. Don't squash it in between two other goals. Give it its due. Wait until you graduate and do it then, when you can give it the time it needs to be truly savored. If it is so important to you that you cannot wait till you graduate, then take a semester off and give it a solid go.

I got the bug to thru-hike the AT when I was a 21 year old soldier sitting in a hospital bed at Ft. Benning, GA after breaking my leg in a parachute landing (the jump went fine, the landing sucked). I saw "Five Millions Steps" on the television and knew exactly what I was going to do when I got out of the Army. When it came time to outprocess I had no money, the economy sucked and I had few prospects for making money. I put off my hike, married my sweetheart, went through a series of crummy temp jobs, divorced my sweetheart, and then inherited some money from my grandparents. I took that money and whatever I could save up, and hit the trail. I was 26 years old and turned 27 on the trail just South of Rangley, Maine.

I spent a ton of time on the trail and spent my credit card into the ground to support my hike and get the most I could get out of it without worry. That was a great 6 months and I learned a lot about myself on that hike, not all of it pleasant, but it was good to know. If I had been rushing to meet my original goal of a 4.5-5 month hike, I wouldn't have met a lot of great people or seen a lot of great things. Sure it took a couple years to pay my way out of it, but that was OK. I only wish I had another month of it.

Give it the time it deserves, or don't bother at all.

Blue Jay
12-22-2003, 09:01
Peaks, step away from Roland's book, better yet burn it. It sucked when it was published and it is outdated garbage now. Roland was (is?) a boring person who interviewed only boring people because they were the only ones who would talk to him. You cannot possibly think the mile slaves would slow down to take his biased survey? To all future mile slaves go for it, life is too short not to try.

hungryhowie
12-22-2003, 10:47
Peaks, step away from Roland's book, better yet burn it. It sucked when it was published and it is outdated garbage now. Roland was (is?) a boring person who interviewed only boring people because they were the only ones who would talk to him. You cannot possibly think the mile slaves would slow down to take his biased survey? To all future mile slaves go for it, life is too short not to try.

Roland's book is, at best, absolute mis-information for planning a thruhike in today's world. When I thruhiked in 2000 (just three years ago!), the photon light was the only L.E.D. light on the market (though CMG introduced the Infinity while we were out there); the lightest waterproof jacket was Goretex Packlite (Precip and other w/b coatings were introduced later that Spring), the only ultralight packs on the market were the G4 and the Breeze, Hennessey Hammocks had just been conceived, and Trangia had the corner on the market of the alcohol stove. Think how the world of long distance hiking has changed since 1987!

Websites such as this are the best way to plan thruhikes nowdays. If a book is a must, Karen Berger's Hiking the Triple Crown is the best (there are 4 sections - 1 on thruhiking in general, 1 on the specifics for the AT, 1 on the PCT, and 1 on the CDT). It's much more current info, and more "true to life" than Roland's.

Burn it, throw it away, whatever; just don't quote stuff out of it like its accurate.

-Howie

max patch
12-22-2003, 11:22
A 100 day / 14 week hike requires you to hike almost 26 miles a day - every day - 6 days out of every week with 1 day a week to resupply and rest.

Some can hike those kind of miles. Most can't. Neither I nor anyone else here knows which category you fit in.

Go hike your 100 days. If you finish, great. If not, you can alway finish up later.

tlbj6142
12-22-2003, 11:24
Why do you want to commit yourselves to what, in essence, would be a high stress death march.I don't understand this statement. Doing 25 miles per day for 6-day weeks is not a death march. I just don't understand the thinking in which doing "big miles" (25 is not big) is the equivalent to running through the woods with your eyes shut. That just ain't true. This line of thinking is has to be some strange "AT thing". Just because you "don't have to", doesn't make it "insane" if you do.

A couple of months ago, I had a chance to hike along a trail in western PA (the laural highland hiking trail). One day I hiked 20 miles (and I'm an old lazy fat bastard) in 12 hours. I forced myself to stop every hour for 10-15 minutes. I had a 30 minute lunch. And a bit of sunning for over an hour on a nice rock out-croping. I arrived at camp with well over an hour of daylight left. I felt fine.

I think part of the problem is the social aspects of the AT put way too much pressure on you to "stay with the family", etc. Once you remove your self from those pressures, "doing big miles" doesn't become this so called "death march".

I've read dozens of times that "the people are the greatest thing along the AT". Well, hiking with the same 5 people for 2 months doesn't exactly give you a chance to meet "the greatest part of the AT", does it? The "typical" thru just doesn't want to stop and talk along the trail. They only seem to be willing to do so at shelters/towns or other designated spots. As such, if you want to experience "the greatest thing of the AT", you have to spend (waste!!) way too much time hanging out in shelters, towns, etc. There are other "great" things that can be found along the AT, meeting "the people" just happens to be easiest (read: for those that are too lazy to look elsewhere) item to find.

I can meet great people at work, school, church, etc. What makes meeting "the people" along the trail any different?

There are a thousand blue-blazed side trails to waterfalls and scenic overlooks, little loop trails leading into little coves and grottos. They shouldn't be missed.Except for beer, food, shelter, blue-blaze (because a particular route is easier) or yellow-blaze (gotta keep up with my "trail family"), how many thrus actually leave the trail just to hike a "beautiful section of the eastern USA"? Probably not too many. Section hiker, maybe, thru I doubt it. I have read three journals (I know not a good sampling) none of the three folks left the trail for a view (100 yrds doesn't count) or fun. They always seemed to be heads down trying to do another "big mile" day (15 miles!?!!). Followed by double zeroes.

If you are in shape and have the mental ability to pace yourself, 25-30 miles a day is not a big deal. Especially when you concider you have 15 hours of day light to do it. That gives you 9 hours to sleep! Who sleeps 9 hours on the trail? Drunks?

I'm not picking on you iceman, as I know you are not the only one who made these sort of comments in this (and other related) threads. Your messages just seemed to be the final "nail in the coffen" so to speak.

rickb
12-22-2003, 11:49
I just deleated my post, because I wanted to comment on the idea of pressure on the Trail.

IMHO, a 110 day hike with a partner almost guarantees stress. Even without a partner, I think it is almost inevitable.

Perhaps I am projecting my own personality charteristics on others; but so be it. Mine is just one opinion.

Hiking 20 or 25 mile days for a week is nothing like keeping that pace up over months. It just isn't.

As for your comments about the social aspect, you might be right. I met one person going in the same direction as me, and hiked with him for less than a week. I took just one zero day, and that only because the PO was closed. I had a different hike than most write about. Better? Worse? No, just different. We probably think alike on that.

But if you can put yourself on a 110-day schedule and not feel a great deal of stress day in day out, then more power to you. If you can do that with a partner (with whom you have not already established a long-distance hiking resume) , then I will be in awe.

I don't think many people could. If you believe you are one of them, great. If you believe you partner is also, wonderfull. But have a plan B. With any "investment", it is wise to re-evaluate your portfolio as market conditions change. And if your first investment choice does not yield the kind of dividends you go in confident that you will earn, you need not pull out of the market all together.

Iceman, you are a true friend to future hikers.

Rick B

RagingHampster
12-22-2003, 12:18
Last spring I attempted to hike a local "Long Distance Trail" end to end (about 120miles), and called it quits after a few days. I simply was not enjoying myself. So I flipflopped and section hiked other portions. I might have "pushed through" and "Did the trail", but it would have been a miserable week.

My point is, I hope your doing this for fun, and not to "add a notch to your belt" as was put in an above post. When I here someone talk about a thru as a "Financial Investment", It makes me wonder...

But I think once you hit the trail everything will be layed down in simple terms like it always is. :)

rumbler
12-22-2003, 12:33
I just don't understand the thinking in which doing "big miles" (25 is not big) is the equivalent to running through the woods with your eyes shut. That just ain't true. ... One day I hiked 20 miles (and I'm an old lazy fat bastard) in 12 hours. I forced myself to stop every hour for 10-15 minutes. I had a 30 minute lunch. And a bit of sunning for over an hour on a nice rock out-croping. I arrived at camp with well over an hour of daylight left. I felt fine.

With respect I have to completely disagree with you on this one. One twenty mile day can be easy, especially in VA or Maryland. On a nice day. Try doing six of them. In a row. In the rain. And then realize that you have thirteen or fourteen more weeks of the same pace to go. Probably in the rain. Sorry, but that kind of pace on an AT thruhike is anything but easy. It will beat you up, regardless of what kind of shape you are in. Furthermore, my observation was that people trying to maintain some predetermined frenetic pace even while their bodies where telling them to chill for awhile ended up dropping from the trail like mayflies. And many of these people were strong hikers. Doing it in 100 days might be realistic but it is going to beat on you big time.

Iceman makes some really good points. I took seven months and wish I could have taken more. And should I ever go back again I will not be racing through it. I missed too much and there would be too many new things I would want to see.

You have 100 days. If finishing the AT is your primary goal - and that certainly is a great goal - then by all means sprint through it. On the other hand I think you may find yourself wishing later on that you had been more flexible in your hike. And there is nothing wrong with hiking only half of the AT because you only had three months. The rest of it will wait for you.

Highlander II
12-22-2003, 12:56
100 day thru-hikes are definitely doable and can even be enjoyable. I enjoyed my hike this summer at just under 100 days, including 2 zero days. There were several others who were hiking at the same rate.

I also section hiked over two summers, 1991, 1992. This was a different time with much heavier gear and much less information about the trail being available. On this hike I was to start out with a partner from Springer and hike the whole trail over the summer of college. To make the story shorter -- my partner dropped out a month before we were to leave and I decided to start at Damacus in mid-May instead of at Springer to be with more people as I was concerned about hiking alone. My partner dropping out before I left was the best thing that could have happened for this trip and I will credit that as a major reason why I was able to finish on Katahdin that first year with only 450 miles to go the next. Incidentally I finished Aug 15 and probably had enough time to complete the whole trail if I'd only known beforehand.

I have several suggestions based on the original question:

1) Get all your own gear and don't plan on staying with your partner. If you end up staying together, then great but don't plan on it. You or your partner may find that one of you has different goals than the other and will end up parting ways because of that.

2) Lighten up your pack as much as possible. My base pack weight this year was around 16 pounds. I certainly could have lightened it up while hiking but I had something which worked and wasn't willing to spend the time to experiment while out hiking.

3) Train for the hike. In 1991/1992 I did almost no training but I was 19/20 years old. I had knee problems for most of the trip which I attribute wholey to the lack of training. This year I trained intensely and started off slower than I probably needed to and had no knee problems.

4) As others have said and I agree, start off at Springer and see how far you get. Consistently doing large miles (what the definition of large is, is a matter of personal opinion) is mental as well as physical and you may find that you don't want to do more than 5, 10, 15, 20, etc. miles per day. For me 30 miles per day plus or minus 2 miles is about the maximum I'm comfortable with. For reference, some days this would take until 5:30 pm and others 8:30 pm.

5) If you end up doing 25+ mile days, be prepared for the "why?" question because you'll get it a lot.

6) Just getting out there to attempt a thru-hike is an accomplishment in an of itself. I've talked to many who said "I wish I could do that". They never even attempt to plan to go. You've gotten to the planning stage so you've made the next step.

Lastly, hiking with only $1500 is totally doable. I spent a little over $1800 this year (not including gear) which included $400 in travel expenses to and from the trail. (I really wanted to get home from Mt. Katahdin and spent $300 for that alone.) A bulk of the additional money was hotel costs. My journal on trailjournals.com has a little better breakdown of expenses than I can remember right now.

Good luck!!!

tlbj6142
12-22-2003, 13:00
In the rain. And then realize that you have thirteen or fourteen more weeks of the same pace to go. Probably in the rain.I always forget about the $hity weather of the AT. It is one thing other long trails don't have as much of. I'm sure it plays a bigger part in the "pace" of the "typical" AT thru than any other single item.

Though, it too, is a mental hurdle, not a physical one. Most folks just choose to hide in shelters or towns once it awhile to escape it.

Given this, I'll soften my stance a bit. If you can overcome the $hity weather, social pressures and (in your case) "partner issues", you can finish the AT in 15 weeks. Those just happen to be Clingman Dome sized hurdles.

Good luck.

tlbj6142
12-22-2003, 13:11
If you end up doing 25+ mile days, be prepared for the "why?" question because you'll get it a lot.Great comments Highlander. Interesting that you mentioned the social pressures that make big miles difficult. What was your answer? Why did others think you were "nuts"? What the heck to people do when they are not hiking?

I HATE camping, it is the hiking I love. Camp is just too damn boring (eat, talk, drink?!?!). I'd rather hike longer and just sleep in camp.

Highlander II
12-22-2003, 13:48
I actually don't know why people seemed to think I was crazy/nuts to do 25+ miles a day. It didn't seem like much of a big deal to me...

I would guess they couldn't understand how it was physically possible to do that many miles consistently as they were "thru-hikers" and were doing 10, 15, 20, etc. miles per day.

As for my answer to the "Why?" question. Unless they were complete jerks about it, my usual answer was "I like to hike, so I hike all day." or "I get bored being in camp." If they were jerks about it, I usually would answer "I go by the 'hike your own hike' motto, I can not understand how you can do only x miles and not be completely bored out of your mind in camp for 8 hours out of the day". I guess it was mainly an ego thing and those with big egos couldn't cope with the fact that there was someone faster than them. I personally expected to be passed from day one and was by a few, though I don't think they finished. But so what if they were faster -- the AT is not a race, whether you do it in one year in xxx days or do it over the period of 30 years. We're all 2000 milers.

Incidentally usually the "why?" question was prefaced with the "When did you start?", "Wow I started on xx of xx month [a month before], how many miles are you doing per day?" questions. I got these two questions from absolutely everyone I met. I tried to be supportive of everyone because I truly believe in the "hike your own hike" motto.

Hike your own hike!!!

tlbj6142
12-22-2003, 13:57
Interesting how much "competition" (external or internal) there is between hikers. In fact, it seems odd that folks would even ask these questions (how many miles today? When did you start, etc.). Seems like questions that just force folks to become competitive and/or defensive.

Kinda of like walking up to someone at school and asking their GPA. And, then, giving them a hard time if it is "only a 2.5".

Wouldn't a better question be "how was your walk today?" Any good views? See any frogs along the trail? What's the deal with your pink socks?

Peaks
12-22-2003, 19:04

Yes, the book is dated, and does have its faults. But, it's still the best source I know of for a resonable survey of thru-hikers. Without it, you, me, and everyone else can only comment on their own personal experience.

At least I'm telling you what my source of information is, and when the data was taken. So, there are some facts, even if dated, behind my statements, not just an opinion.

And, because I know some individuals surveyed, I do not agree that he only got interviews from boring people.

On this thread, you have an individual (or couple) asking if it's feasible to hike the AT in 100 days. Did you do it in 100 days? I know I didn't, and don't have the desire to do it in 100 days either.

By the way, Pace-O was one fast hiker in 2002. How long did he take? And what does he have to say about this?

hungryhowie
12-23-2003, 00:59
Yes, the book is dated, and does have its faults. But, it's still the best source I know of for a resonable survey of thru-hikers. Without it, you, me, and everyone else can only comment on their own personal experience.

At least I'm telling you what my source of information is, and when the data was taken. So, there are some facts, even if dated, behind my statements, not just an opinion.

Yes yes yes...

And while you do state where your information comes from, some people, perhaps, might not realize how old this information is, or how much aspects of the trial have changed in the past 15+ years. This is why it just befuddles me that people continue to quote info from this survey. Individual input on boards like this is invaluable - while it is certainly not a condensed orchestrated work like Roland's book, it ecompases a much wider view (this board, for expample has nearly 2000 members! and there are several boards like this out there) because of its larger sample of the hiking population, and provides an interesting and more up-to-date synthesis of current hiking trends. I laughed heartily after reading Roland's book the first time, but stopped short after realizing that people could actually be using it to plan a thruhike nowdays.

-Howie

A-Train
12-23-2003, 01:37
Yellow Jacket,
What is the big deal with people doing things differently? You seem to have so much animosity and pent up anger over folks who are "wasting time" sitting at shelters all day or in town being lazy. HYOH! Why don't you whistle on by and just ignore these folks? And what's the big deal with people enjoying the social aspect of the Trail. I don't understand your point. Its fairly easy to say that people are the best part of the Trail when hiking "with the same 5 people for 2 months". That gives one the chance to really get to know that person and grow with them. I doubt most people have the opportunity to get to know 5 or 6 diverse strangers and live along side them for a couple months. sure you can meet people at your school, church or whatever, but the point is that you see them for a couple hours a day or week and that is it. People on the Trail can't hide or use distractions like in "the other world". This IMO allows others to open up and trust their trail friends. Mostly normal day life is too hectic and informal to truely get deeply inside others hearts and heads.
I was one of those hikers who you seem to continuely hate and slander. YES me. I got to shelters at 4 or 5 pm after hiking a 20 plus mile day, then I went on to sit on my fat butt and talk to my thru-hiker friends (only 5 of them) and we wasted valuable hiking time where we could have easily done another ten miles and seen more trail and wildlife. The fact is that some people, myself included actually enjoy the scnenary around shelters, taking time to prepare a decent meal and maybe reading a good book or singing a song. Sometimes it was fun to hike out to an overlook and catch a sunrise. My point is that there are other ways to hike. Why is this necessarily a waste of time?? Sure if i went by your method I woulda been done with my hike 2 months earlier, but it wasn't a race and my intention wasn't to spend as least amount of time as possible in the backcountry. And whats the problem with hikers spending time in town. For some the town experience is an opportunity to see small town america, meet friendly folks and also hang out with others lazy hikers who might wanna rest a bit. Don't like it? Go back to the woods, no one is making you stay in town or even look at those resting.
And back to people. Yeah you might hike with 5 others but you meet lots of other folks. I met hundreds of thru-hikers, sectioners and day hikers as well as friendly towns folks. I'm not saying the people have to be the best part of everyones hikes. But if you're not a social person than don't knock other peoples need to socialize, interact and get to know those around them.
The fact is, that someone hiking the Trail in 100 days will not ever meet anyone more than once for the most part.
And lastly, to some extent I understand and agree with your hike all day philosophy. Sure it makes sense. When you break it down you make it seem like there should be no reason why everyone doesn't hike 30 miles a day. The fact is, even tho you're not hiking any faster, it still is more physically and mentally demanding. Your not allowing your body any real time to rest. I know i personally couldnt get up at 530 and start walking all day and then plop down, go to sleep and get up and do it again. To me thats like running without a cool down walk. Its abrupt. I needed the transistion cool-down time for a couple hours before and after i started to hike.
I agree 100 percent that hiking the trail in 100 days is mostly a mental challenge. Most hikers are scared by the idea of a 25 or 30 mile day, they don't think its possible. But to me that entails a certain mentality that would make me feel like im constantly on the go, needing to go further and further, not being able to enjoy something for a couple hours or half a day if i really wanted to. It doesn't seem fair to have to compromise with yourself on a thru-hike and not stop somewhere just because you "can't". Then you're setting boundaries on yourself. If you have the mentality of going all day, it seems as if you're never content with where you are, as you always need to keep going. And that Katahdin is the only goal. Katahdin is just another mountain. Its every day that makes the trip what it is.
Back to the original purpose of this post-i think as well as others that if this is just an accomplishment, its hardly worth doing. Whats the point if its just to say you did it? The Trail is there to be enjoyed and as a tool to learn more about yourself and become a better person (or atleast for me). The hikers who were doing it as a physical award or accomplishment seemed to have a lot less fun.
And lastly, yes the hike all day, take 10-15 min breaks everyday sounds great in theory. But have you done it for 100 straight days? If you did i'd love to hear about it. The fact is that sometimes it's not possible due to weather or other circumstances. Its easy enough to do over a week or so, but doing it over months is a whole different ballgame. Occasionally you might just not want to hike thru the weather or want to take breaks in a driving cold rain storm. In that case it might be necessary to whole up in those boxes where you just might have to talk/eat and drink with other people.

Colter
12-23-2003, 02:01
I personally believe that the speed of your hike is a personal choice, just as the speed of a daily run is. Some folks want to see the world go by on a run, and some just want to challenge themselves. To me a 100 day hike isn't a waste if that's what YOU want to do.

It's possible to do the AT in 100 days, because some people have done it. To a very few people it's easy, to a few more it's possible, for most people it is, for all practical purposes, impossible.

The PCT is not the AT, a week hike is not a thru-hike, and you are not Flyin' Brian. Contrary to what some folks have said, stringing together a 100 day series of 22 mile days is a big deal. There's always injuries and other medical emergencies, family emergencies, etc.

Consider that maybe 10% (more or less) of folks starting out on a thru-hike complete a thru-hike in a calendar year. Maybe it's mental, maybe it's physical, but for whatever reason, they decide to quit.

Far, far less do it in less than 100 days.

Far fewer can make a hike of that speed with another person.

If you both of you are very good athletes with very good focus and are in very good health, you probably have the POTENTIAL to do it. The reality is that you'll probably fail.

It's your life and your decision. Life is full of risks. Just look at it realistically before you start.

tlbj6142
12-23-2003, 12:24
What is the big deal with people doing things differently? You seem to have so much animosity and pent up anger over folks who are "wasting time" sitting at shelters all day or in town being lazy. HYOH! Why don't you whistle on by and just ignore these folks? And what's the big deal with people enjoying the social aspect of the Trail. I don't understand your point.I really don't have a problem with folks that want to hike that way. It just seems that all too often it is described as "the only way to hike". If you have the time take 6 months to complete a thru, do so. But, understand that you can do it another way and get just as much out of the trip. And that it is "OK" and "not insane" to hike it in 105 days.

I'm just amazed at how quickly people pipe up and say "no fricken way". "I did in in 5 months and I thought I was rushed".

Sorry if I was offsensive towards you or others, as I don't mean to be. I just want folks to understand it is possible to hike the trail in 105 days and not "run", "feel rushed" or "pressured". Now, it takes quite of bit of physical (lots of pre-trip conditioning) and mental planning, but it can be done. And it can be just as enjoyable as someone who takes 6 months to finish.

A-typical doesn't make it wrong.

kellett117
12-23-2003, 14:16
Wow ... I did not mean to begin such a firey debate.

I am a person who likes to challenge himself. When I do something, I want to push myself to the max. I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I can do something that is physically or mentally difficult.

To a certain extent, I do take a bit of exception to those who say I shouldn't bother if I want to do it just so I can tell myself I did it.

Iceman says: "If all you want to do is punch out the miles and say you did it, then cut out the middle man, go down to Mexico for the Summer, come back and say you hiked the AT." I think one must understand that people are allowed to have different motivations for undertaking such a task, and no one motivation can be more righteous, legitimate, or fundamentally "right" than another. I want to hike the AT so I can have an experience of a lifetime with my best friend and when I'm done, yes, be able to say that I did it and be proud of it.

I want to experience the AT to the fullest extent that I can while I'm on the trail, but I'm not ashamed to say that I will be very proud when I'm done. If people ask, then yes, I'll tell them I did it in 100 days and that I'm proud of that fact. The Appalachian Trail is a resource that is available to anyone who wishes to take advantage of it, and they can use it and hike it for whatever reason they feel they want.

I asked in the beginning if it was possible that I could do the trail in 100 days. Some people said I could and why. Others said I could not and why. Those are the answers I take into consideration and consider most valuable. I thank each one of you who gave me one of those answers.

I hope I've made my motivation for hiking this trail clear. If you disagree, you disagree ... but I'm not going to Mexico.

tlbj6142
12-23-2003, 14:37
I did not mean to begin such a firey debate.You didn't begin this debate. It has been going on (in other forms and forums) for quite some time. Your question just brought it to the forefront in this particular place.

As Highlander mentioned above, the "debate" happens along the trail everyday. And you have exposed the little known secret of those that quote the HYOH creed. HYOH really means "Hike your own hike within these parameters. If you hike outside these parameters you can't be having fun, or enjoying yourself, etc." As such, they feel threaten and fight back. Instead of accepting it as a "valid" option.

Enjoy your hike. In whatever form it takes...

A-Train
12-23-2003, 18:31
[QUOTE=tlbj6142]

HYOH really means "Hike your own hike within these parameters. If you hike outside these parameters you can't be having fun, or enjoying yourself, etc." As such, they feel threaten and fight back. Instead of accepting it as a "valid" option.

YOU did just that. Instead of simply answering his question you felt it necessary to put down hikers who hike a certain way (with breaks, and town and shelter stays). I'm not here to start petty arguments but it seemed you were the one who feels threatened because most are going with the grain, not against it. No one ever said that that particular way was the only way to do it. Iceman, myself and other simply said if we were going to undertake such a challenge and adventure, it would be worthwhile to really have the time to enjoy it. If 100 days is plenty of time to hike the AT and smell the roses, then thats excellent. GO FOR IT!
I'm sorry if this "way" of hiking came off as the only way. He asked our opinions and I and others gave it. If you're so against the dominant way of hiking and thinking by the majority of thru-hikers there are a million other trails.

tlbj6142
12-23-2003, 22:43
I apologize for my tone and (in some cases) insults. I have re-read the thread and realized that most of the comments are non-threatening and I should not have responded in the manor in which I did.

At times I find it very annoying that many folks equate big mile days (I won't use the term "fast") with word such as painful, death march, physical harm, fast, running, scentless, damage, miserable and bloody stumps. Those are the phrases I have issue with more than anyone persons "style" of hiking. Again, I don't mean to pick on any one person in this thread, as I have seen these phrases mentioned dozens of times here and elsewhere.

I understand that in many cases they are "opinions", but they really are slanders on a particular style of hiking that is not commonly accepted to be within the range of normal. And, at the very least, shed negative images on those who choose to practice those methods. For what reason?

A-Train
12-23-2003, 23:41
In the spirit of the AT and the holiday season I say we put this bickering to rest and simply follow by the true meaning of HYOH. The Trail's been hiked millions of different ways. :)

brother_ron
12-30-2003, 16:04
i say that to a degree, everyone's right. YES you can do it, YES it will be a challenge, YES it has its advantages, and YES you WILL at times want to slow down. i thru-hiked the AT this year in 126 days and took 16 zeros. i could've done it quicker, but that was exactly how long i wanted to take. i loved the balance of being by myself all day and then getting to socialize at the shelters at night. i also liked getting to meet almost everybody out there and not getting stuck in any groups. if youre into physical and mental challenges, then your desired hike is certainly doable.
ron

warren doyle
02-03-2004, 22:53
Sounds good to me!
If you want to get-together for some advice, I'll be at Dance Flurry in Saratoga Springs, NY Feb. 13-15th.

jollies
02-04-2004, 01:26
I started my thru-hike the day after I graduated college--May 19 and finished September 1st of this past year, and that was with plenty of zero days. I think that's 104 days total. Feel free to contact me if you would like any advice. I'm very available.

tlbj6142
02-04-2004, 12:39
I started my thru-hike the day after I graduated college--May 19 and finished September 1st of this past year, and that was with plenty of zero days. I think that's 104 days total. Feel free to contact me if you would like any advice. I'm very available.You didn't die? Your body must have been destroyed during your self-imposed death march! Your feet, what about your feet? They must have been bloody stumps by the time you reached the Smokies.

I bet you didn't even notice the trees. Did you ever even look up? What about flowers? You can't tell me you hiked the AT in 104 days and still had time to smell the flowers.

And the people. The greatest treasure to be found along the AT. You must not have had the time to met a single soul on the trail. How lonely your trip must have been. I pitty you.

rickb
02-04-2004, 12:47
"I pitty you."

Me, I envy anyone who planned things such that he/she got to spend 104 days hiking while I was working.

Pitty is probably best reserved for those of us who spend more time thinking about hiking than doing it.

And unlike Yellowjacket, I am not being sarcastic. ;-)

Woe is me....

Rick B

jollies
02-04-2004, 13:53
Interesting thoughts Yellow Jacket, but I had a great deal of enjoyment doing my thru-hike. Met lots of awesome people too, some of whom I still talk to today. I was in very good physical shape when I started and averaged 2.5 - 3 miles per hour hiking, so I was able to do 25 miles in less than 10 hours. I had plenty of time to stop and smell the roses and take in the breathtaking views along the way, but that was because I started hiking by at least 6AM (sunrise) every morning. Can you wake up that early every day? :D :bse

Jollies
GA -> ME '03

tlbj6142
02-04-2004, 17:28
Interesting thoughts Yellow Jacket, but I had a great deal of enjoyment doing my thru-hike.Thanks for the validation. My previous post is nothing but complete sarcasim. Read the entire thread and you'll understand.

I'm glad you were able to have a great time.

jollies
02-05-2004, 00:04
I realized you were being sarcastic...tried to take a somewhat humorous approach with the smiley thingeys and stuff. No hard feelings man.

tlbj6142
02-05-2004, 00:19
Tell us more about your trip. Doing the trail that "quickly", your habbits would have been a bit different from the 120-140 day crowd.

Got a journal online?
I assume it was NOBO, correct?
What was your typical day like?
How many zeroes and neros did you take?
Use a bounce box?
Buy your food along the trail?
How often did you re-supply? 3-4 days or 5-7?
Doing 25 miles per day, were there parts of the trail where that was difficult to accomplish? Maine?
What was your pack weight?
How much do you think you spent? Were you trying to reduce expenses?
Did you stop in every town? Or avoid them?
Doing 25 miles per day, were you able to hike with the same folks for a time? Or were there new faces everyday?

jollies
02-05-2004, 00:45
Wow....lots of questions. I'll do my best to answer them I guess.

1.) No journal...I wrote mine into notebooks I carried along the way and I wrote so much I didn't have any ambition to type them up!

2.)I was NOBO, yes

3.)A typical day for me was to wake up at around 5:30, eat breakfast, start hiking, stop around 11:00 - 12:00 to eat lunch, then hike until about 4-5 PM. Of course included in between there were stops at shelters for breaks, stops at vistas, stopping to talk to people, etc.

4.)I think I took around 8 - 10 zero days, 4 of which were at the midpoint when I went home for a little more than a weekend. Neros, I believe I had around 3 - 4 of them.

5.)No bounce box. I had all of my food shipped to about 15 or so main post offices along the trail, and, since I had originally planned on carrying 7 days of food at a time, started bouncing about half of my food 3 or 4 days forward. This last thing was an adaptation to my planning which I found was stupid.

6.)I wish I had. If I were to do a thruhike again, I would do this without a second thought. Fresh food was something I never got to take advantage of.

7.)Answered in 5.

8.)I HAD to slow down to 20 per day in the whites, because they were the most difficult part of the trail for me. Southern Maine was a little slow going too, but I think that was about it. For the most part, from 40 miles south of Damascus all the way to Vermont, I was able to hit 25 - 30 miles per day without too much trouble.

9.)When I started, my pack weight was 46 pounds. That was with 8 days worth of food and a lot heavy gear. By the end at Katahdin, I believe when I resupplied I hit at most 32 - 35 pounds. In the middle I probably got down to 30 (had to get some heavier clothing and sleeping bag in New Hampshire).

10.)Expenses for me were separated into pre-hike and hike. Pre-hike I bought all of my food and new gear and that came to about 750 dollars. During the hike, I think I spent around 2000 on everything else. I tried to reduce expenses by not staying over in towns. If I could, I stayed just outside of them and hiked in for the day and hiked out before it got too late. Towns are where everyone burns all of their money.

11.)Started to answer in above. Basically, I wanted to get the experience from most of the towns. A lot of the smaller ones, I just avoided, and in PA, I knew most of them already cause I live here. I stopped in all of the main ones, but skipped a lot of the smaller ones that were large distances from the trail and difficult hitches because it just took too much time to get in and out, so I didnt go unless there was a reason.

12.)There were some stretches where I was able to hike with the same people, but not for more than 3 - 4 days. There were some power hikers, but they weren't doing it for the entire way, just small sections to make somewhere by a certain time, for the most part. Mostly though, new faces all along the way. Now that wasn't a bad thing, I met lots of people that way and I can say that by doing that, I bet I was able to meet a lot more people than the typical thru-hiker. Yeah, I didnt get to spend as much time with them, but I got to meet them. :-)

What do you think??

Peaks
02-05-2004, 09:45
Just a couple of observations.

First, looks like his pace is much faster than most of us. While many of us average 2 miles per hour, there are some that average closer to 3 miles per hour. So, instead of doing 12 to 15 miles per day, they do closer to 20 miles per day.

Second, I think Jollie is a good example of someone whose goal is to hike the trail rather than visit small town America. This is meant as a recognition, and not as a criticism.

Third, it shows that the trail can be hiked in 100 days or so. But, because the average is 5 1/2 months, I would not recommend that anyone follow his example, unless they are extremely committed to their hike and in good shape for it. I suspect that most of us would burn out very quickly at a pace of 140 miles per week.

tlbj6142
02-05-2004, 09:46
What do you think??Sounds you had a great time.

Food logistics are very difficult if you go the postage route. I think that is why most folks just buy along the trail. Those that know they will need 3-4 packages in certain locations just use a bounce box, or send packages from the trail where they have a better idea of how much and when they'll need the package.

I'm glad everything worked out for you.

When you did talk to folks (especially other thru-hikers) did they think you were nuts doing 25 mile days all week? Earlier in the thread this was mentioned as sore point between "traditional" thru-hikers and those moving a bit quicker.

warren doyle
02-05-2004, 10:35
It's great to break down stereotypes and misconceptions.

jollies
02-05-2004, 11:34
When you did talk to folks (especially other thru-hikers) did they think you were nuts doing 25 mile days all week? Earlier in the thread this was mentioned as sore point between "traditional" thru-hikers and those moving a bit quicker.

Definitely. I got the "you're nuts" line, or "that's really fast" line just about every time I tell someone. For example, at PA Ruck a week ago, I must have heard one of those two lines about 10 times :D I know people use the HYOH thing a lot, and I agree with that except when one person's hike interferes with someone else's. I don't think I harassed :datz or embarassed :bse any "traditional" thru-hikers on my way, but I would apologize profusely if I did. I think everyone's hiking styles contribute to the whole AT community. What would the trail be like if everyone did the same thing??

jojo0425
02-05-2004, 11:51
You'll never know unless you try. That's my two cents. Make sure to give us a trip report when you're done! Good luck to both of you.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2004, 11:58
I wanna see someone go for the 48 day record. I'll help support someone if they wanna give it a shot. I'm one of the best in the business.

Jaybird
02-05-2004, 12:01
I ran support for a friend back in 91 who did the AT in 56 days. He was fat and out of shape when he started. Averaged 38 miles per day.

WOW!

this hiker was a MACHINE!

Yo Kellitt117:

if you guys have got 3+ months...it can be done....but, you're gonna miss some of the scenic views, the great camradierie you read so much about & the general "feel" of the trail.....if youre going for speed,....go for it!

my suggestion would be to...start @ Springer...take your time & enjoy it & do as much of the trail as you can in your alotted time....then pick up the rest of the trail next year..... ;)

see ya'll UP the trail!

Lone Wolf
02-05-2004, 12:04
More like a MAINEAK! (his trail name). :D

SkunkleberryFinn
02-05-2004, 13:51
I alos am in school and cannot afford to take a semester. What my roomate and I are planning on doing is hiking about half of it (harper's ferry)... We will be leaving in May and returning in Aug. by the time school starts.. This was we can realx, enjoy the trail MUCH more and have time to enjoy great experiences. Also, we can be flexible and afford to have a zero day if our bodies want us too. I am just worried that yull go to hard too fast and have to leave the trail because you weren't ready for it..

moonnsun
02-05-2004, 14:13
Thank you everyone for the input ... so far it's been very very helpful. I particularly like what you have to say, Howie ... to me no harm can be done in giving it a try. Please keep the advice coming if you have any ... it's a huge help.

--Brian

I agree with Howie, it is all about what you are personally looking for. Being a college student myself I have been trying to decide when to thru-hike, I have decided for myself to wait until i graduate next fall and then leave in the spring of 2005 and that is because i want to take a little longer on the trail. You will definately have enough money to go. Do you already have the equipment you will need or is part of that money for equipment? Just remember the trail is all about what you make of it. So go for your dreams!

Smooth03
02-05-2004, 17:06
Please take Yellow Jacket's post with a bit of hesitance. Sounds to me as if YellowJacket has not hiked the whole trail. If he/she has then I apologize.

On a number of points I disagree. First off 15 hours a day everyday is almost not doable. If it takes you roughly 45 minutes in the morning to break camp and eat, then hike for 15 hours, then another hour for dinner and setting up camp that leaves you with only 7 hours of sleep. Many people have trouble living comfortably on 7 hours of sleep in their sendentary lives. I found that when I SOBOed this last year that my body required 11-12 hours of sleep every night and that was at only 17 miles per day. So sleep deprevation would be a serious issue for you.

Yellow Jacket is correct that you will only need 3-4 days worth of food. But you must realize that everytime you go in to town its going to take anywhere from one to three hours out of your hiking day.

In reference to Yellow Jacket's PCT relation I think that it is totally irrelevant. Addmittedly I have not done the PCT but from my experience on the AT and what I've heard about the PCT the AT is more dificult because the PCT is graded for horses and does not have the constant ups and downs of the AT but instead is more gradual long ups and downs.

After all this I believe doing the trail in 100 miles is totally doable. BUT, you only will enjoy it if you are the type of person who enjoys challenging themselves to the ultimate everyday. I know from your posts you are hesitant to do it in sections but I would consider it. The only extra expense will be transportation(hitchhike) and an extra 30-50 days worth of food since you will have the same gear your second season doing it. Whatever you decide to do good luck.
Smooth MEGA 03

People do the PCT (500 miles longer) in roughly 110 days every year. Don't let the nay-sayers get you down. You can do it.

People don't typically do the AT in a hundred days simplly because they don't have to. The hiking season in the east is almost 10 months long (assuming you don't mind a bit if winter in the south). So, thru-hikers have the "luxury" of going slow. Getting drunk in towns and doing 10 mile days.

Check out messages posted by "chris", he finished the PCT (2650 miles) this past summer ('03) in less than 110 days. In particular check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2346).

Quick math...

15 weeks == 105 days
15 6-day weeks = 90 days

2150 miles / 90 days = 24 miles per day doing 6-day weeks.

If you are truely in shape. 24 miles a day on a 15 hour day is a mere 1.6 mph. Or 15 hours with a 15 minute break per hour (11.25 hours of hiking per day) at 2.2 mph. 2.2 mph is very doable. Most thrus do at least 2.5-3.5 mph once they get into shape. Tell me how many thrus actually take a 15 minute break per hour??!?! Not many. They sleep in 'till 10am and then rush to the next shelter just to sit on their ass from 5pm 'till bedtime. That sounds quite boring to me. I'd rather take 15 minute quiet rest stop every hour. Rather than spend 4-5 hours sitting around camp per day.

If you seriously make an effort to take a 15 minute break per hour (or 30 minutes in 2 hours, etc.), you will not be tired or exhausted at the end of the day. Eat your breakfast, snacks and lunch while hiking. Eat your "cooked dinner" during the late afternoon during a 30-45 minute break.

Edit:

Going this "fast" you should never need to carry more than 3 days worth of food. As such your pack weight (including food and water) should never exceed 20# (25# at most). Shopping sales, you can easily purchase a pack, shelter and bag for less than $200 and still keep your total dry pack weight below 10#. If you make your own gear, or spend a bit more. You can have a dry pack weight below 8# without much effort. Which puts your "wet" weight around 18# for 3 full days worth of supplies.

Don't underestimate the importance of eating the correct amount of food. You won't be able to "cheat" and fuel-up in towns. Read Chris' thread (link above) on the topic.

Also consider a flip-flop. Start at Harpers Farry, WV (easy train/bus access) and hike south to GA. Then flip back to Harpers Farry, WV and hike north to special K. This way your first few weeks won't be as trying as if you started in GA.

Good luck. :jump :banana :clap

tlbj6142
02-05-2004, 17:27
Please take Yellow Jacket's post with a bit of hesitance. Sounds to me as if YellowJacket has not hiked the whole trail. If he/she has then I apologize.I have not. I was just showing it could be done. And in fact it has. See jollies comments. Seems like he had a great time. And from what he has posted, I don't get the impression it was all that stressful.

tribes
02-05-2004, 18:06
I think that there is no doubt that it can be done. Some people's bodies hold up better than others with high mileage days. You should head out and give it you best shot and not let anyone on this site tell you otherwise. Only you will be able to determine if the pace you have set for yourself is possible, but more importantly: enjoyable. If you are pushing too hard or it becomes unenjoyable, than by all means slow down and have start having fun. If you wanted to not have fun you could have taken summer classes right? If you have to bail out due too time restrictions you will still have the time of your life and the unfinished part of the trail will be waiting for you when you want to return.

Smooth03
02-05-2004, 21:38
Your right. It has indeed been done and by no means do I mean to say that it can't be done. But it has also been done in 49 days. My main point of disagreement is the 15 hours a day. I know you were using it to prove a point and in truth most people would not need 15 hours to hike 26 or even 30 miles but I think that 99.99 percent of people would be unable to hike for 15 hours everday, total mileage aside.

I have not. I was just showing it could be done. And in fact it has. See jollies comments. Seems like he had a great time. And from what he has posted, I don't get the impression it was all that stressful.

Peaks
02-06-2004, 09:47
Your right. It has indeed been done and by no means do I mean to say that it can't be done. But it has also been done in 49 days. My main point of disagreement is the 15 hours a day. I know you were using it to prove a point and in truth most people would not need 15 hours to hike 26 or even 30 miles but I think that 99.99 percent of people would be unable to hike for 15 hours everday, total mileage aside.

I found that people who bragged about their high mileage days generally didn't tell you that they took the next day or two off to recover. So, like you say, most of us can put in the 15 hour day occassionally, but not consistently.

jollies
02-06-2004, 12:35
A perfect example of this is the 40-mile challenge. If you complete it, its a major bragging point, but what isn't said is how long it takes the person and how long they are in Damascus with a sore and aching body :-) I know of one group in particular whom I was hiking with....it took them 15+ hours if not longer to do it. They started at 5:30 and didnt get to Damascus until 10:30 that night....what is ithat....um 17 hours!! They didn't move the next day, I can guarantee that. :)

Lone Wolf
02-06-2004, 12:38
Back in 93 I did the 40 into Damascus in just under 12 hrs. I ran the last 10. No problems the next day.

Smooth03
02-06-2004, 13:26
I totally agree. I remember staying at the Cookie Lady's in Mass meeting a NOBO who was averaging around 24 miles a day. I was mightily impressed. He then proceeded to tell me he had also taken 32 zero days which was almost a third of his time on the trail. Doing that high of mileage is still impressive but he fully acknowledged he wouldn't have been able to keep that high of a pace if he hadn't stopped so much.

I think the thing people over look isn't so much the mental aspect but the physical aspect. Indeed if you are mentally tough enough than doing 25+ a day is not impossible. And in terms of any one given day doing 25 isn't impossible either. But many people run into physical problems that require them to take time off. Shin splints, stress fractures in their feet, strained ligaments, and weight loss amongst other problems are issues faced by many hikers. Recovery from these issues have nothing to do with someone's will or determination.
As I've said before, doing it in 100 days is indeed possible. But of those who set out and say "I'm doing it in 100 or less" I would guess less than 5% complete it in that time, or complete it at all. Remember only between 15-20% of beginning thru-hikers finish at any rate, let alone one so dificult as doing it in 100 days.

I found that people who bragged about their high mileage days generally didn't tell you that they took the next day or two off to recover. So, like you say, most of us can put in the 15 hour day occassionally, but not consistently.

warren doyle
02-06-2004, 14:19
Brian,
I hope you can achieve what you set out to do. And if you do, I hope you copy this thread and read it soon after you return from the summit of Katahdin and see it as a reflection of human nature. For the most part, those people who have done what you want to do have given you encouragement and hope. For the most part, those people who haven't done what you want to do have been critical and/or questioning about your dream. I have found some people can be genuinely supportive about you reaching your dreams or some people may not want you to achieve what they cannot achieve. The challenge is to listen more carefully to the former than the latter.
For myself, at the age of 53 and if I desired to, I have no doubt that I could mentally, physically and emotionally backpack the entire Appalachian Trail in 100 days or less. I would start in early May and be on Katahdin by mid-August. I would not take any 'zero days' except for horrendous weather on exposed landscapes. I would hike at a relaxed pace (1.25-2 mph) from sunrise to sunset (the pace includes stops for meals, swims, views) and never carry more than 25 pounds in my pack. The only time I would alter this routine is during the times of day when there is hot/humid temps (above 90's). I would alter my routine to start hiking about 2 hours before dawn and to end hiking about 2 hours beyond dusk. This change would enable me to take a 4-6 hour nap/siesta during the heat of the day. And I would find something to enjoy in each and every day.
I have found that moving forward on the trail is simpler, and therefore less challenging, then moving through real life.
I wish you well pilgrim.
From 26,000 miles of trail wisdom.

Pencil Pusher
06-14-2004, 23:02
Bump, cuz this is a good thread. I like the idea of going light, fast and cheap, all the while enjoying the trip.

screwysquirrel
06-15-2004, 01:18
Warren, I guess those who can't, don't want to or refuse to be be ego-driven to do it in a hundred days, are the non-acheivers you mention in your post. It's great to be able to want to do this but if some don't, it doesn't make them either jealous of him or nonsupportive of someone trying to do it. They're just trying to say what someone would miss doing this kind of hike.

Pencil Pusher
06-15-2004, 02:34
I think hiking the trail in under 100 days is sufficient for those who come prepared. Self-supported at that. About the only thing that would prevent completion would be an injury. Sometimes those can be prevented, other times it's a crapshoot. But a skilled hiker, in good shape and competent mind...? Do something hard that not many others (relatively speaking) have done and it really frees your mind when you think about other things.

As for what someone would miss with this pace, well it is the budget student hike with limited time and money.

weary
06-15-2004, 16:27
Brian,
For myself, at the age of 53 and if I desired to, I have no doubt that I could mentally, physically and emotionally backpack the entire Appalachian Trail in 100 days or less. I would start in early May and be on Katahdin by mid-August. I would not take any 'zero days' except for horrendous weather on exposed landscapes. I would hike at a relaxed pace (1.25-2 mph) from sunrise to sunset (the pace includes stops for meals, swims, views) and never carry more than 25 pounds in my pack. ... . And I would find something to enjoy in each and every day.
I have found that moving forward on the trail is simpler, and therefore less challenging, then moving through real life.
I wish you well pilgrim.
From 26,000 miles of trail wisdom.

I'm 75. I have no doubts. I couldn't do the trail in 100 days. I could do it in 180 days -- assuming I didn't encounter an unforseen health problem. Since I now have a pigskin heart valve, I'm in better health than I was in 1993, when I did most of the trail, accompanied for 700 miles with an 11-year-old grandchild, who needed an adult more than I needed to hike all the trail.

Warren is absolutely right when he says wise people will find something enjoyable to see and do each and every day on the trail.

The saddest things I saw on the trail 11 years ago were the occasional hikers who hated the trail, but felt committed to finish despite that hatred. The trail is basically a piece of cake, if one can bring oneself to ignore the rain, the hills, the muscle aches, the bugs. If you don't enjoy this incredible place and this incredible opportunity to spend months amidst it, find something else to do.

Know yourself. If you find that the trail is not enjoyable, my advice is to leave and do something that is. Life is short. My first overnight involving the AT occurred 60 years or so ago. It seems like yesterday. Well we didn't actually sleep. We started at noon one day on the trail to Carter Notch and arrived on Washington in time to see the sunrise before traversing the presidentials and getting back to Dolly Copp 25 or 30 hours after we had started -- just in time for supper.

Weary

jersey joe
06-15-2004, 16:48
My friend and I are both relatively experienced Hikers, in very good shape, and 20 years old. We're looking to thru-hike the AT, but would like to avoid taking a semester off from school to do so. Also, being college students, we're very poor :).

Does anyone know if kellett117 is actually going to attempt a thru this summer?

stu
06-28-2004, 01:46
i would suggest reading some trail journals of people who did big mileage to get an idea of what you are in for. William Tarantino's journals are a good example-pcthiker.com, trailjournals.com. He's a college kid who did the pct in similar time constraints and is doing the AT this year. Im sure there are many more.