PDA

View Full Version : Light sticks for those long winter nights?

scout005
01-01-2008, 20:41
I've been using cyalume light sticks for winter camping lately. They're lightweight and last 12 hours. The yellow seems to be easiest on the eyes. Saves on headlamp batteries and you can tuck em under a piece of gear if you don't want to be bothered by the light. I'm not partial to that cold white light from LED bulbs. Anyone else using these?

take-a-knee
01-01-2008, 20:47
I've been using cyalume light sticks for winter camping lately. They're lightweight and last 12 hours. The yellow seems to be easiest on the eyes. Saves on headlamp batteries and you can tuck em under a piece of gear if you don't want to be bothered by the light. I'm not partial to that cold white light from LED bulbs. Anyone else using these?

I used to use a lot of them when the taxpayers were paying for them.

Bob S
01-01-2008, 21:28
They are not very efficient for what you spend on them and the light they produce and the short time they last.. A LED flashlight will last weeks or months.

I have 1 LED flashlight that I use a few hours a week and it’s going on 2-years worth of use on the same AA Batteries.

Also I have 3 LED, Solar flashlights that never need batteries, they recharge every day.

Cyalume sticks are great for playing catch at night with my son when we camp. Give a few of these to some kids at night and they will have a ball with them.

jnohs
01-01-2008, 21:33
ah i use the yellow also 5 night trip 5 glow sticks. it just very convinent there are always on and easy to find and at night i tie it to the ceiling of my tent and it cast a nice dimm light.

mudhead
01-01-2008, 21:36
Good to throw a package under the seat of the car/truck.

Flat tire. Accident.

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 21:36
Yes, not very cost effective and if you are out for a week you need like 7 of the darn things. There are flashlights that do a better job. Some now have that Chemlight like glow.

Appalachian Tater
01-01-2008, 21:40
Get a colored LED if you really hate the white ones.

Tipi Walter
01-01-2008, 22:07
I see these danged things scattered here and there in the woods. Some hang on cord, discarded. Some in a firepit, discarded.

saimyoji
01-01-2008, 22:38
Of course the end all of this conversation is to have a camp fire: warmth and light, resuseable energy source, despite the LNT crowd. Myself, I see in the dark or use my echolocation. I've had it since my conversion to the dark side.

take-a-knee
01-01-2008, 22:43

They are the ticket for jug fishing at night (put the chem lite in the jug, lasts all nite)...as long as you ain't payin for 'em.

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 22:44
Yes, on a cold winter night I do like a fire. I don't know if I want one so large I can read by it - but it is worth it to know how to start one if you are going to be out in winter.

River Runner
01-01-2008, 23:09
The night sticks are nice if you are taking a youth group backpacking, so that they can easily find your tent at night in the event of need.

'Course, sometimes you might prefer they don't...

Bob S
01-01-2008, 23:17
I get light sticks fairly inexpensively. The local dollar store (The Dollar Tree) gets them in every Halloween for kids. At $1.00 it’s a good price for them. I usually buy 25 or 30 packages of them every October. They sell full sized ones (for $1.00 each) and also two ½ size ones also (for $1.00.) I mix it up about 50-50 between both.

gaga
01-01-2008, 23:30
http://www.taclighting.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=67&gclid=CMGA08LM1pACFRYasgodxiI9Wg
give it a try, then you will buy a lot of them , makes a great gift for sure:sun

River Runner
01-02-2008, 00:45
That reminds me - Wal-Mart had a glow tube that used 3 coin cell batteries, so it was reusable. I don't know if they still had them or not. I purchased a few for future camping trips with my grandson. It seems to reassure kids to have a little light like that around camp at night.

dla
01-02-2008, 11:43
This is a simple light design you might find interesting. http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/joule.htm

I used to use light sticks too, until the advent of LED technology.

gsingjane
01-02-2008, 15:33
When we take our Girl Scouts camping, we hang one on the latrine door so they can find it at night. Otherwise, no, though... too much rubbish for me, I think.

Jane in CT