PDA

View Full Version : Frogg Toggs - slit pants pockets let H20 in ...

Bootstrap
01-01-2008, 21:03
I just bought my first set of Frogg Toggs on sale for $30.00, jacket and pants, and plan to use them not only for backpacking but for a blue water sailing trip in January.

I put them on over my pajamas and stepped into the shower, and they kept me nicely dry *except* ....

... the pants have slits to let my hands into the pockets of the pants I am presumably wearing under them. A fair amount of water leaked in through one of them.

I'm tempted to either tape these slits shut or get some kind of velcro seal to hold them shut. What do the rest of you Froggers do with these slits?

Jonathan

generoll
01-01-2008, 21:30
I wasn't as smart as you. I didn't pre-test mine. I learned what you already learned the hard way, by getting soaked on a backpacking trip. I glued my pocket slit shut. I sent Frogg Togg an email describing what I believed to be a design defect and they responded by offering to sell me the deluxe suit. I may get another set of the Toggs but it will be the kind with the bibs next time.

River Runner
01-01-2008, 23:11
I haven't had a problem with mine doing that even though I've had them in the rain several times. My jacket is long enough it totally covers the slit in the pants pocket area.

I guess much might depend on sizing and build of the person wearing them.

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 23:16
Sew then shut

kayak karl
01-02-2008, 16:46
I just bought my first set of Frogg Toggs on sale for $30.00, jacket and pants, and plan to use them not only for backpacking but for a blue water sailing trip in January.

I put them on over my pajamas and stepped into the shower, and they kept me nicely dry *except* ....

... the pants have slits to let my hands into the pockets of the pants I am presumably wearing under them. A fair amount of water leaked in through one of them.

I'm tempted to either tape these slits shut or get some kind of velcro seal to hold them shut. What do the rest of you Froggers do with these slits?

Jonathan
thanks for the heads up. i tested mine but it wasnt raining that bad.

Bootstrap
01-02-2008, 17:14
I called Customer Service at Frogg Toggs. The woman I talked to said:

1. New models of Frogg Toggs now have snaps or velcro on those pockets.

2. I can add velcro or tape, as long as I don't sew anything or violate the integrity of the fabric itself, and they won't hold it against my warranty. They suggest I add velcro to the pockets using an adhesive.

3. If I'm not happy, they will stand behind it after I try this.

I'm going the Velcro route ...

Jonathan

travis71
01-04-2008, 11:30
Hey all, newbie question here. I have been putting together my hiking kit & looking at clothes to get me through the rain. What is the difference between something like the Frogg Troggs, & something like the Marmot Precip gear? (aside from the price)

totempole99
01-08-2008, 18:28
What is the difference between something like the Frogg Troggs, & something like the Marmot Precip gear? (aside from the price)

I'd assume weight and space savings too. I too am looking at getting a pair of Frogg Toggs after using the Precip jacket and pants. My Precip jacket (a shade over a pound; an older version) is somewhat bulky to pack, and from what I have seen of FTs, the material is pretty thin and I'd think it would pack up smaller. I really like the Precip pants (mine weight 11.2 oz) and will probably continue to use them with the FT jacket, unless the FT pants just blow me away.

I've got a few questions for those who already have FTs. How much does each piece weigh? How does the sizing run (true, big, small)? I'm a skinny 6'2", and can't decide between a M and L. I don't think the slits in the pants are a hard modification, but did yours work after the changes?

And generoll, you mentioned you may get the bibbs if you were to get another pair. Would this bibb set be for backpacking or something else? Why should I pay the extra $5 to get this kind? Me thinks it would just weigh more and not offer any more rain protection while backpacking.

ScottP
01-08-2008, 19:45
Frogg toggs are probably better for the AT. They won't last 2000 miles, but you really don't need raingear in the summer on the AT. o2 rainwear, the cheapest and lightest variant of frogg toggs, are a good choice. The 'paper raingear' as some call it is cheaper, lighter, and more fragile. It's very breathable, and isn't quite as warm as a full rainjacket like the precip

OR makes a rainjacket called the zealot that is gore-tex and weighs about the same as the paper raingear, but it costs $300.

As far as rainpants go, they really aren't that useful for hiking, although they might be nice for camping. paper rainpants worked out poorly for everyone I saw that had them--they didn't last long, and they chafe.

mudhead
01-08-2008, 20:46
[QUOTE=totempole99;496366]I How does the sizing run (true, big, small)? I'm a skinny 6'2", and can't decide between a M and L.

I tried some on at Dick's. Odd sizing. Go try them on. The pants are huge, but you are long. I can't imagine a L being long enough in the sleeve for you, but maybe.

generoll
01-08-2008, 23:43
The bib pants would go higher and not leave a gap between the pants and the jacket when you lift your pack onto your back. I think the bibs come without the slit pocket opening which is just an opening for water.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-09-2008, 00:18
I found the Frogg Toggs pants really annoying. After a few uses they get kind of fuzzy & pick up every dry leaf & little stick that you sit on. I ditched mine & bought a cheap pair of sealed nylon rainpants. Worked much better as long pants for around camp in cold weather.(and just as good in the rain)

The whole breathability thing is a waste of time on the AT anyway, not worth worrying about. And you will get wet no matter what kind of gear you have (if the rain doesn't get you the sweat will :-)....just need to accept that & focus on staying warm !

Cheers

Kaptain

mudhead
01-09-2008, 07:02
Did you find the jacket functional?

Critterman
01-09-2008, 10:40
....I've got a few questions for those who already have FTs. How much does each piece weigh? How does the sizing run (true, big, small)? I'm a skinny 6'2", and can't decide between a M andL....

Mens large -- top- 11.0 oz, pants 7.1 oz They seem baggy to me. I am 5'11" 170 lbs
My precip jacket weighs 13 oz and has much more functionality ( pit zips etc), I believe I will stick with it. I think FT would be great for some one on a tight budget because they are cheap.

Lyle
01-09-2008, 11:59
Frogg Toggs jackets work great for the price and weight. Nothing works perfectly. As has been already mentioned, the pants are fragile for hiking, but usually unecessary during the summer. The pants are mostly for staying warm in camp according to my experience.

Early and Late season hiking may demand more use of the pants, but you could easily buy a second pair and still come out MUCH cheaper than other alternatives. They can be repaired quite effectively with duct tape.

I used a similar product (no longer available that I can find) during the flooding in '06. Several days of torrential rains - I was very impressed with their performance. Pants weren't used since we were wading up to our thighs along the trail.

I don't think the FT are as easily compressed as some other alternatives.
My $0.02 worth.

Tobit
01-09-2008, 12:16
I really like FT's because they make big sizes. It is really hard to find rain gear in big mens sizes. I'm 6' 2" and have a very big frame and mostly wear 2X.

- T

Grandma
01-09-2008, 13:01
Which suit do most people have?

BrianLe
01-09-2008, 15:54
I have driducks raingear, which I think (?) are similar or the same as frog toggs?

The jacket for me is plenty long to cover what you're talking about, but I find rain pants annoying in anything but continuous cold and wet (like winter time). I converted my driducks pants into chaps --- saved a little weight, but more importantly, I can put them on and take them off much easier, one-leg-at-a-time. They still do a good job of covering what needs to be covered, so long as you're not trying to sit down on something wet. And they breathe better that way.

Nevertheless, I'll rarely walk far in them --- as someone already said, if it's raining long enough, you either get wet from the outside in, or from the inside out. A poncho plus shorts (and bare legs) is ideal if the temperature isn't too low. Works well for me in the Pacific NW for the summer and some spring and fall days.

River Runner
01-13-2008, 04:16
Driducks are quite a bit thinner and less durable than Frogg Toggs.

I've used both - Driducks are great if I don't really expect to need the raingear, and if I don't expect I would wear them for supplemental warmth.

Frogg Toggs are nice when I anticipate rain, but the exterior of the fabric does stay pretty wet, so dealing with it inside a tent or hammock on rainy evenings is a pain.

I haven't found the perfect raingear yet.

SlowLightTrek
01-13-2008, 17:49
The North Face HyVent I got at Neel's Gap lasted to Katahdin. It's still waterproof in any kind of rain and perhaps good for another long distance hike. Another thing about raingear is that it is also a windshell. A windshell can be more important at time for keeping you warm than just for keeping you dry. A good rainshell that you can hike in will give you the best warmth for the weight imo. Rain pants function the same. They provide the windshell for the thermal and wicking layers. Rain can get pretty nasty at 40 degrees and your legs pretty cold.