PDA

View Full Version : A Walk In The Woods - By Bill Bryson

RagingHampster
12-21-2003, 12:05
I figured I'd try to jolt the Media forum to life...
What does everyone think about the book?

Personally I found AWITW quite entertaining and well written. I can relate alot to Bill in some of the story, and found myself laughing out loud during many parts. I think the AT represents alot to alot of people, and does so differently for each one of us. I give the book two thumbs up!

Kerosene
12-21-2003, 12:06
Oh no, not this topic again!

Bankrobber
12-21-2003, 12:16
I thought the book was hilarious. I was ready to hate it after hearing so many people eat it alive. The guy was obviously not cut out for a thru-hike. Throwing all of his gear to the side of the Approach Trail was not the most environmentally friendly thing to do.
The book was entertaining. He provides an interesting narration of what the trail looks like to a fat, out of shape outsider of the trail community.
I think that some of the environmental criticisms he used against the forest service had a good of truth to them, and were beneficial to educating the public.
The one downside of the book was that its portayal of the trail became much of the public's. I don't know how many people came up to me while I was planning my hike or after my hike and asked if I had read Bill Bryson's book. Nevertheless, it was a funny book that by no means gives an adequate portrayal of life on the trail.

illininagel
12-22-2003, 11:00
What does everyone think about the book?

I've read quite a few AT books. I enjoyed A Walk in the Woods. But, I think it's important to not take this book to seriously. Bryson admits that he is not a "mountain man."

I found myself laughing out loud while reading this book. I would also recommend this book to a friend. So many people that I know, who otherwise have absolutely no interest in hiking or the backcountry, have enjoyed this book.

DeBare
12-22-2003, 11:18
I thought the book was great. Ever since I read it I've been thinking of hiking the trail. I am planing to do it in 2004 starting in April. I am reading all I can and I am picking up equipment as I learn more about it.

Rain Man
12-22-2003, 11:20
I've read quite a few AT books. I enjoyed A Walk in the Woods. But, I think it's important to not take this book to seriously. ....

I found myself laughing out loud while reading this book. I would also recommend this book to a friend. So many people that I know, who otherwise have absolutely no interest in hiking or the backcountry, have enjoyed this book.

I'm the same way about this book. Loved it and it started me hiking the AT. I guffawed so often and so loudly that my family made me read sections to them, which I did with tears in my eyes.

Frankly, I'm surprised anyone takes Bryson's literary license and humorous hyperbole (gross FALSE exaggerations) seriously. I don't think his hiking buddy threw stuff off the mountain to get rid of weight. That was a JOKE, guys. And it worked ... quite well in my book. :)

Rain Man

Skyline
12-22-2003, 12:06
It seemed like two different people wrote this book. The first half was gut-busting hilarious. The second half was kinda boring IMO.

And, while I don't imagine Bryson applied to ATC for the completion certificate, he ends his book with (paraphrasing), "I don't care what anyone says, we DID walk the Appalachian trail..." Really?

While the book IS entertaining, it's a shame that so many folks had their intro to the A.T. via Walk In The Woods. It is definitely a How-NOT-To-Do-It book, but how many readers "got it?"

One question for those of you who hiked in '96 that I've asked whenever this comes up: Other than Amicolola to Fontana, did any of y'all actually SEE Bryson and/or Katz on the Trail? Just wondering...

kevin
12-22-2003, 12:54
I read "A Walk in the Woods" about 3-4 years ago. Not even really sure what made me pick it up as I hadn't heard of Bill Bryson or the AT at the time. I guess I just saw it while wandering through the bookstore and decided to give it a go.

Honestly, I don't remember too many details from the book, except for thinking that it obviously was "embelished" a bit in areas (especially his partner -- Kass if I remember right). But what I do know is that it started something for me. At first, I thought "Hmmm...this Appalachian Trail think sounds pretty cool, but I couldn't imagine myself doing it." However, it was a thought that stayed in the back of my mind and before I knew it moved to the front of mind. Now, while I won't be doing a thru, if all goes as planned I will be spending a couple months on the trail this summer.

Needless to say, more of my "education" came from this forum (and I'm sure much more of that education will come from the first week or so), but without the Bryson book, I don't know if I would've discovered the possibility.

I also have to agree with those that found it hilarious. One of the more entertaining AT books out there.

Former Easy
12-22-2003, 13:24
To quote Baltimore Jack " Bill Bryson is a Candy Ass " LOL

Seriously though, I did enjoy his book and decided to hike on the trail and did so a few months after reading it. The funny thing is my mother an older lady in her 70's and not an outdoor type, recommended this book to me. "Walk in the Woods" was featured on Oprah of all places and was a book in the Oprah book club. This is how she found out about it.

There were however a few comments he made that I didn't appreciate, one being the comments on the Crossman's and Rainbow Springs where I had an enjoyable stay and am sorry they won't be around the next time I hike thru Franklin.

The other being the general picture he painted of a few other hikers.

But all in all the book was a good read.

Would I read it again - NO

Would I recommend it to others - Well that depends, if you haven't hiked on the trail yet - YES, if you have already hiked on the AT - NO

Grampie
12-22-2003, 17:24
I liked the book. I liked even more after my thru and reading it again. You have to look at it as a piece of fiction.
I normaly agree with Baltimore Jack in his opinion about trail subjects but not this one.

Rain Man
12-22-2003, 18:01
I liked the book. I liked even more after my thru and reading it again. You have to look at it as a piece of fiction.
I normaly agree with Baltimore Jack in his opinion about trail subjects but not this one.

BTW, for those of you travelling over the holidays, you might be able to get Bryson's book at you local library, on tape. I did for my Thanksgiving drive, and enjoyed the drive and the time flew by, listening to the book.

Rain Man

Matt Pincham
12-23-2003, 06:28
I'd fixed my sights on the AT only a week or two before reading 'A walk in the Woods'. It's my mothers book and it sits near my bedroom door staring at me everyday, but I'd never been bothered to pick it up.

When I realised how much I'd like to hike the AT I remembered that my Mother had a book about 'walking in the woods' (though I did not realise it was based on the AT) so I decided to read it. The excitement that filled me from reading this book has since made me absolutely determined to hike the AT and everything is coming together very well.

Thankyou Bill Bryson.