PDA

View Full Version : Devices to make sounds in your head?

The Mechanical Man
01-02-2008, 02:31
What is your favorite music, or sounds to hike to?

I see many AT hikers wearing headsets, sometimes completly unaware of the REAL trail sounds around them.
Every once in a while.......when I ask a simple question, or try to engage in trail talk, all some hikers do is look kind of spaced out, and say................NOTHING for a while, then they come up with a............ WHAT?

What are YOU listening to if you can't answer a simple question, it must be pretty good stuff?

When I see a hiker in a "Trail Trance", (A New trail term, you heard it hear first), listenig to some device that is crawling into their ear like something from the movie "ALIEN".

I ask myself, .......are they, .....talking on the phone, making journal entrys on their blueberry device, getting a divorce at this moment, .......... or what?
I have seen it all. hehe

Not that there is anything wrong, with any of that.

River Runner
01-02-2008, 02:41
What I'd like is a device to get sounds out of my head. Like when an annoying song gets stuck in there and I keep hearing it over and over.

The Mechanical Man
01-02-2008, 02:58
It's like when logs and rocks with a pefect sitting spot for your butt come along when you are good and tired and say......................PSST.

Here I am,you really want to sit here for a while............
When anyone spends much time in the woods, the trees and rocks start talking to them.

Hurley
01-02-2008, 03:32
I listen to music if I'm out hiking by myslef. Not for long periods of time though. When I get tired of music I listen to nature, and when nature is no longer cutting it I switch back to music. Alot of poeple do get caught up in thier own world and it takes a momet to pull it together. I try to make an effort to at least acknowledge everyone I see out hiking.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2008, 06:09

I see many AT hikers wearing headsets, sometimes completly unaware of the REAL trail sounds around them.
Every once in a while.......when I ask a simple question, or try to engage in trail talk, all some hikers do is look kind of spaced out, and say................NOTHING for a while, then they come up with a............ WHAT?

What are YOU listening to if you can't answer a simple question, it must be pretty good stuff?

When I see a hiker in a "Trail Trance", (A New trail term, you heard it hear first), listenig to some device that is crawling into their ear like something from the movie "ALIEN".

I ask myself, .......are they, .....talking on the phone, making journal entrys on their blueberry device, getting a divorce at this moment, .......... or what?
I have seen it all. hehe

I have a CD of you telling all of us how great a maintainer you are and about all the trail stars that you've slept with etc. free cold showers but parking for a fee! :)

TOW
01-02-2008, 06:46
Can I get a copy of that LW?

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2008, 07:33
I just listen to all the voices:eek: :D

max patch
01-02-2008, 13:12
When I see a hiker in a "Trail Trance", (A New trail term, you heard it hear first),

I read it at Trailplace first.

DawnTreader
01-02-2008, 13:23
I wouldn't leave for a hike without my mp3 player.. I'm not out there to talk to you or anyone else .. I could care less if somebody is annoyed that I have earphones on. If I feel like talking to you, I'll take one out and talk. who gives a rats ass.. phones, blackberry's , pocketmail.. bring your laptop for all I care... Maybe you need to start your own therapy/whine session. You could call it "trail talk." Wingnut could be your first guest....

Usually I listen to local radio stations while falling asleep in my hammock at night, and I listen to mp3's during the afternoon when I need that extra lift..

Cuffs
01-02-2008, 13:43
What I'd like is a device to get sounds out of my head. Like when an annoying song gets stuck in there and I keep hearing it over and over.

Its a small world after all, its a small world after all, its a small, small world!

partinj
01-02-2008, 13:50
I sure the snake you step on while you are listen to your mp3 will forgive you and not bite you.Then again the snake might be having a bad day.

DawnTreader
01-02-2008, 14:06
I sure the snake you step on while you are listen to your mp3 will forgive you and not bite you.Then again the snake might be having a bad day.

Do you listen to your radio when you drive?? I'm sure that the ambulance that needs to pass you will forgive you when he gets stuck behind you because you can't hear the sirens..

Is that the best argument for not listening to tunes on the trail?? possible snake bite?? It sounds to me like your better off at home where no harm could possibly come..

Jaybird
01-02-2008, 14:30
Can I get a copy of that LW?

I'd ask for a copy too, LW...
but, we ALL know thats ILLEGAL, right?
:D hehehehehehe

Franco
01-02-2008, 19:36
One of the pleasures of bushwalking ,for me, is spotting wild life, including avoiding some of it. With that I also tend to have enough problems with keeping on the often almost non existent trail to be distracted by music. I do however listen to some music for an hour or so before I go to sleep.
Franco

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2008, 19:42
I read it at Trailplace first.

Trailplace, what Trailplace? That new site? Nothing much posted there yet.;)

History is what is cached on the server today. One click and it's all down the memory hole.

"Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past," - 1984, G. Orwell

Tinker
01-02-2008, 19:54
Is provided by nature. If I need music, I'll make my own on a backpacking guitar, but I've carried it on a couple of hikes and find I don't feel much like playing it in the woods. On multi day hikes I might carry a small radio with ear buds to check the weather, though.

kayak karl
01-02-2008, 20:03

I have seen it all. hehe

i dont drive, work, bike, kayak, hike or other activities :) with ear things. it blocks the real world and our ability to protect our selves. also those ipod thing a ma jiggers are RUDE in public. just my opinion:D ( don't ask me about Blue-tooth:D)

A few days ago I walked along the edge of the lake and was treated to the crunch and rustle of leaves with each step I made. The acoustics of this season are different and all sounds, no matter how hushed, are as crisp as autumn air.Eric Sloane (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Eric_Sloane/)

The Mechanical Man
01-03-2008, 02:16
i dont drive, work, bike, kayak, hike or other activities :) with ear things. it blocks the real world and our ability to protect our selves. also those ipod thing a ma jiggers are RUDE in public. just my opinion

Thanks kayak karl for your opinion, I feel exactly the same way.

I have some friends and relatives visit our place, that think it's ok to just walk away to answer their stupid ringing phone sounds, and ignore everyone for the next ten minutes while jabbering.

Now that is RUDE, I tell them to come back to visit when they have some quality time to spend, ..............they don't come back for a year! :banana

Powder River
01-03-2008, 02:44
http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/ProductDetail.htm?ProdID=com.zondervan.97803109263 20&QueryStringSite=Zondervan

This is what I'll be listening to!! Some 80 hours long...whew. Good news is the mp3s will save me 9 ounces over the paper version.

Oh... and probably a few WILCO shows will be on there too. Maybe an audio book on Teddy Roosevelt or the battle of Pea Ridge?

I will probably limit my ipod use to about an hour or so a day. I'm in full agreement that nature should be enjoyed, however I think my mind will need more excercise than just 'left, right. left, right. left, right.' I'm afraid I will otherwise be too tired at the end of the day to accomplish the desired intake of "input" the old fashioned way.

Of course, I'm probably showing my generation now. (I will also be taking a smartphone, a bluetooth keyboard and fully intend to use them to have pizza delivered to trail heads, along with their other uses.) I just had someone very dear to me tell me that I'm generation Y, not X. I HEARTILY disagree with that. (was born 1980). My personal definition is that if you were old enough to appreciate Nirvana BEFORE Kurt Kobain died, then you are gen X or older. Gen Y is anybody younger than that, who grew up with crappy music.

But I'm sure the trail will be full of lots of folks ('boomers?) who will be aghast at the use of mp3s in the great woods, so I'll try to keep my gadget use discreet.

camojack
01-03-2008, 02:50
I just listen to all the voices:eek: :D
Me too! Small world... ;)

The Mechanical Man
01-03-2008, 03:22
BBBBBbaAA, BadAAAAA.

Bad To The BONE,.......................

rafe
01-03-2008, 10:28
Snowmobiles. Oh, sorry.... wrong thread.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 11:01
Whiney pussies. Oh, sorry....wrong thread.