PDA

View Full Version : Your Backpack with Hammock

Monkeyboy
01-02-2008, 10:22
Hey Guys,

Got a Hennessey Expedition for Christmas and have the question all of us probably had with the new hammock...

What to do with your backpack?

I've noticed that some people with daypacks will just hang it on the line by the head of the hammock...

Can you do that with a larger pack, say 5,000 to 6,000 cu. in.?
Is that too much weight for the line with you in it?

What do you do to keep it dry? I can put the rain fly on it, but that won't keep the backpads and straps dry.

You can mount it to a tree, but same problem with keeping dry.....

etc, etc, etc.....

So, what do you guys do?

SouthMark
01-02-2008, 10:39
I carry a large trash/leaf bag and just put my pack in it under my hammock at night.

Jaybird
01-02-2008, 10:48
Hey Guys,
Got a Hennessey Expedition for Christmas and have the question all of us probably had with the new hammock...
etc, etc, etc.....So, what do you guys do?

wish you had a tent!:D
hehehehehe

Monkeyboy
01-02-2008, 10:51
Was actually thinking of carrying a small one boy tent just to have a place to put mine, my son's and my brothers backpacks in overnight..... :)

We all got new hammocks......

And actually was thinking of doing exactly what Southmark said, but worrying about mice.....

Saw on the website a picture of a man lounging in the hammock with his pack on the rope at the head, but it was a smaller daypack, not a real backpack.

trippclark
01-02-2008, 10:52
Hey Guys,

I've noticed that some people with daypacks will just hang it on the line by the head of the hammock...

What do you do to keep it dry? I can put the rain fly on it, but that won't keep the backpads and straps dry.

etc, etc, etc.....

So, what do you guys do?

This topic comes up often, so you may want to search past threads for more info on this. First off, for me, once I remove my food and other smellables and bear-bag those, then take out my hammock, fly, and quilts, the pack is close to empty. Sometimes I just put the near empty pack on the ground below me. Other times - especially if the ground is wet or if rain threatens - then I will suspend the pack from my hammock (but still under the tarp) at the head end with a caribiner at the top and the hip belt at the bottom.

Toolshed
01-02-2008, 10:53
Hi MB,
Welcome to the treehangers (I can't think of a betterplace for a Monkeyboy to swing!!!)!!!
I usually carry another bit of rope and usually hang it from a branch or burl on a closeby tree. Several times I just laid it on the ground beneath me on the raincover and cinched it tight around it and then flip the whole thing over. to protect from any wind driven rain.

Cannibal
01-02-2008, 10:57
I just clip it to my webbing with a biner; never had a problem. As trippclark said, your pack will be mostly empty so weight really isn't an issue. I also sometimes use my pack (assuming it's dry) as a leg rest under my knees in the hammock.

Kerosene
01-02-2008, 11:07
Hey, your pack straps and hipbelt are going to get soaked whenever it's raining (unless you wear The Packa (http://www.thepacka.com) or a poncho (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45)), so I just put my pack enclosed in its cover on the ground beneath my hammock. You might also consider replacing your Hennessey rainfly with a larger one to provide more coverage and additional shelter when it's raining.

Just Jeff
01-02-2008, 11:10
Put your stuff in a compactor bag or pack liner under your hammock. The tarp will keep it dry, and the bag will protect it from ground moisture. This is easiest and lightest if you already carry a bag liner.
Get a gear hammock. I've made two types: a Pack Cover Gear Hammock (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html) and a kids hammock (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html).
Slowhike made Storage End Caps (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html#StorageCaps) that hang on the end of the hammock...great idea.
Hang it with your bearbag. Kind of a pain if you realize you need something after it's hung.
Clip it to the end of your hammock with a 'biner. The tarp will keep it dry unless you get windblown rain. Very easy to get to your stuff, though. If an extra 10 lbs makes a difference in stressing the hammock lines, you need to upgrade your hammock!
Sleep with your extra stuff and stick your non-framed pack under your legs for insulation.
Get a Clark and put your stuff in the pockets. Or sew your own pockets into your hammock.

Tipi Walter
01-02-2008, 11:17
wish you had a tent!:D
hehehehehe

YUP, GOTTA LOVE THE TENTS:banana

Just Jeff
01-02-2008, 11:19
I'll trade putting my pack inside a pack liner over hip pointers, sore backs, and wet campsites any day. But I'll never use that dancing banana!! :D

Cannibal
01-02-2008, 11:19
YUP, GOTTA LOVE THE TENTS:banana

Absolutely; they make a great place to store the coolers when car camping. :D

Tipi Walter
01-02-2008, 11:23
I'll trade putting my pack inside a pack liner over hip pointers, sore backs, and wet campsites any day. But I'll never use that dancing banana!! :D

You might use the banana if you had a Hilleberg tent.:sun

BTW, what the heck are 'hip pointers'??

FanaticFringer
01-02-2008, 11:32
I strongly recommend getting a larger tarp. Some have used it with success, but most of us at hammockforums.net feel it is like hammock floss.:D
The small stock Hennessy tarp offers little room for error in bad weather. A bigger tarp helps with things like cooking, dressing in privacy among other things.
There are a few really nice tarps to choose from. One cheap option is the Sportsmans Guide tarp. They are currently out of both the 9x9 and 12x12 camo versions. Not sure when they will be available. If you dont mind white:eek:
this one gives super coverage www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694
This one offers many pitching options www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/11%20x%2010%20Tarp.htm
If you can sew, this might be the best option www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir
Here's some good comparisons of some bigger tarps www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

Just Jeff
01-02-2008, 11:32
Hip pointers are sore spots on your hips that usually come from sleeping on too hard of a surface. Like sleeping on the floor at home, CCF on rock or compacted ground, etc.

And I don't really want to know what you do with bananas in your Hilleberg. But Hilleberg does make some really nice cooler-keepers...no argument from me there!

Monkeyboy
01-02-2008, 12:06
I like the idea of the kids' hammock....under the tarp, off the ground and away from trees.....

Looks like I'll have to fire up wifey's sewing machine........

Thanks for the input, guys......I knew I could count on you.

DawnTreader
01-02-2008, 12:53
I've got Just Jeffs gear hammock from JRB.. My Catalyst fits with all other gear that I don't sleep with.. Great piece of gear.. stuff off the ground, doubles as pack cover.. water getter... hell I've even hung it to a tree, filled it with water and washed a load of laundry in it..

Hurley
01-02-2008, 13:34
I clip it to the tree huggers with a pack cover over it.

RITBlake
01-02-2008, 14:09
Put your stuff in a compactor bag or pack liner under your hammock. The tarp will keep it dry, and the bag will protect it from ground moisture. This is easiest and lightest if you already carry a bag liner.

This method is pretty failsafe and worked well for me throughout my hike. I used my rainfly instead of a compactor bag but it's the same idea. Just cinch your rainfly down and put it directly below your body. Unless you are in a very bad storm the area below your hammock will stay dry.

You could always get it off the ground by putting up on a few small branches just to get it off the ground.

Captn
01-02-2008, 15:11
This method is pretty failsafe and worked well for me throughout my hike. I used my rainfly instead of a compactor bag but it's the same idea. Just cinch your rainfly down and put it directly below your body. Unless you are in a very bad storm the area below your hammock will stay dry.

You could always get it off the ground by putting up on a few small branches just to get it off the ground.

This is gonna sound foolish, but have you considered carrying less stuff and using a smaller pack?

take-a-knee
01-02-2008, 15:59
This is gonna sound foolish, but have you considered carrying less stuff and using a smaller pack?

You're right, it does sound a wee bit foolish...hell, if I were you, I'd just carry nothing at all, then you'd have no worries... right? The hills would be easy wouldn't they? Then there is that long interval between sundown and sunrise.

We used to call folks who thought like that the "travel light-freeze at night" gang in my infantry days. Search and Rescue folks and coroners have different terms for them.

whitefoot_hp
01-02-2008, 20:03
well if you have your shelter set up, your insulation in it, you shouldnt have much left in your pack, and if there is, obviously its just junk that wont keep you from 'freezing' at night.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-02-2008, 22:13
I have the HH hyperlite and use a McCat deluxe tarp-plenty of room underneath-I simply cinch up the pack in its raincover after hanging my food bag etc and clip it to the hammock line works well for me IMO you don' need a 5000-6000 backpack check out the granite gear vapor trail you may be carrying a lot of unnecessary stuff; You may want to visit Backpacking light and check out the gear lists
Hillbilly

Monkeyboy
01-02-2008, 23:26
Unfortuately, I've found that I do need the 5000-6000.

I'm a Scoutmaster and periodically have to take a boy's gear to lighten his load, or be the one to carry the stove with gas, extra water bottle, extra food portions, etc. to accomidate the group....

Can't really tell a 12-year-old boy to toughen up and stick it out......when he says he ain't going to carry it anymore, he usually means it.....or starts crying......either way, you wind up carrying it.

Also, even if I don't use the extra space, I'd rather have it than not.

take-a-knee
01-02-2008, 23:57
I have the HH hyperlite and use a McCat deluxe tarp-plenty of room underneath-I simply cinch up the pack in its raincover after hanging my food bag etc and clip it to the hammock line works well for me IMO you don' need a 5000-6000 backpack check out the granite gear vapor trail you may be carrying a lot of unnecessary stuff; You may want to visit Backpacking light and check out the gear lists
Hillbilly

You have excellent taste in hiking gear.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 00:00
Unfortuately, I've found that I do need the 5000-6000.

I'm a Scoutmaster and periodically have to take a boy's gear to lighten his load, or be the one to carry the stove with gas, extra water bottle, extra food portions, etc. to accomidate the group....

Can't really tell a 12-year-old boy to toughen up and stick it out......when he says he ain't going to carry it anymore, he usually means it.....or starts crying......either way, you wind up carrying it.

Also, even if I don't use the extra space, I'd rather have it than not.

I'd reccomend a frame pack in that case. My old Kelty weighs 4.5 pounds, and will carry all I can pick up, and you can probably find one cheap at a flea market/yard sale. I've even thought about making a gearskin of sorts to replace the packbag on mine, that would reduce it a pound probably.

Monkeyboy
01-03-2008, 01:13
My pack's not that heavy.....weighs about 4.0 lbs empty.

But with taking out the hammock, sleeping bag, blowup pillow, etc....I still have stove, gas, few clothes, etc....in it.

Plus, didn't want the pack to get wet from rain or dew, and actually have a chance to dry out overnight from sweat. Also, didn't want mice to get into it. Never had a problem with mice in a tent as I do in shelters, so really didn't want to hang my pack in the shelter while hammocking, and really don't want it on the ground in necessary.

The small gear hammock on the side should be little to no weight and is a great idea for keeping it dry.

Just Jeff
01-03-2008, 09:31
Check out the gear hammock pack cover on my page - might as well make it multi-use if you're gonna spend the weight. And even if you don't need a packcover, it does lots of other things, too. Super simple to make...just four hems and a shockcord, really.

Fiddleback
01-03-2008, 10:48

It strays from the subject a little, but yup, it's worked for me. Obviously the sleeping system is in the hammock and I bring in, or hang from the ridge line; trail clothes, water bottle, toilet kit and my toys (camera, iPod, etc). Once the food and kitchen gear is hung in a bear bag there isn't much left in the pack. The virtually empty pack is light enough to hang under the tarp or with the bear bag...

FB

neo
01-03-2008, 14:02
Hey Guys,

etc, etc, etc.....

So, what do you guys do?

this is the greatest hammock of all times:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 21:38
this is the greatest hammock of all times:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

You tell 'em Neo.

Monkeyboy
01-04-2008, 00:09
Check out the gear hammock pack cover on my page - might as well make it multi-use if you're gonna spend the weight. And even if you don't need a packcover, it does lots of other things, too. Super simple to make...just four hems and a shockcord, really.

Yeah....I also checked that out, and changed my mind that that should be the way to go.......

And if worse comes to worse, I could put it over my pack cover for extra rain protection

Tinker
01-04-2008, 00:12
I strap my pack to a tree, upside down, with the rain cover on it if rain looks likely. I leave the top lid and pockets open for mice, etc. to explore without chewing holes.

Tinker
01-04-2008, 00:15
I strap my pack to a tree, upside down, with the rain cover on it if rain looks likely. I leave the top lid and pockets open for mice, etc. to explore without chewing holes.
Oh, yeah, the pack is empty. Food bagged and hung. Clothing in a stuff sack on the hammock support line under the fly. The gear hammock looks like a good idea, too.

Captn
01-04-2008, 11:19
It strays from the subject a little, but yup, it's worked for me. Obviously the sleeping system is in the hammock and I bring in, or hang from the ridge line; trail clothes, water bottle, toilet kit and my toys (camera, iPod, etc). Once the food and kitchen gear is hung in a bear bag there isn't much left in the pack. The virtually empty pack is light enough to hang under the tarp or with the bear bag...

FB

It was surprising what I discovered I really didn't need to carry around ....

RITBlake
01-05-2008, 00:40

My spring/summer/fall base weight is around 8-9 lbs so I'm not sure how much smaller it could get.....

But thanks for the tip?

Captn
01-05-2008, 16:55
My spring/summer/fall base weight is around 8-9 lbs so I'm not sure how much smaller it could get.....

But thanks for the tip?

What's your gear list look like?

bigcranky
01-05-2008, 18:40
This is my daughter's rig, with her pack hung at the tree and a rain cover over the pack.

http://tinyurl.com/2xk49x

This is not a tiny pack, by any means, but hanging it here works pretty well.

take-a-knee
01-05-2008, 19:43
This is my daughter's rig, with her pack hung at the tree and a rain cover over the pack.

http://tinyurl.com/2xk49x

This is not a tiny pack, by any means, but hanging it here works pretty well.

I bought my daughter a Macat.

BigToe
01-05-2008, 20:51
I use a compactor bag for a pack liner. After my gear's out for the night, there's not much left in the pack so I slip the compactor bag over the pack and prop it up against the tree. If it's wet I "V" my hiking poles against the tree and tuck the pack top grab on top of the poles to keep the pack off the ground.

My typical camp:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12187

I use Just Jeff's gear hammock for the stuff I may need during the night - it's just a reach away. Also I use JRB quilts and extended fly - highly recommended!