PDA

View Full Version : Whites in the Winter Time

Bankrobber
12-21-2003, 18:12
I just went on a two mile hike up the mountains in the parent's house in Vermont with snow shoes. I was inspired. I am considering driving up to Franconia Notch and hiking to Lonesome Lake hut and back. I was wondering about trail conditions in the Whites this time of year. Would it be safe to hike to Lonesome Lake Hut? I would wear a capilene first layer, fleece bottom and top, a down jacket, and rain gear. I was wondering what others think about this plan.
Joe

MOWGLI
12-21-2003, 18:25
I just went on a two mile hike up the mountains in the parent's house in Vermont with snow shoes. I was inspired. I am considering driving up to Franconia Notch and hiking to Lonesome Lake hut and back. I was wondering about trail conditions in the Whites this time of year. Would it be safe to hike to Lonesome Lake Hut? I would wear a capilene first layer, fleece bottom and top, a down jacket, and rain gear. I was wondering what others think about this plan.
Joe

Was in NH a few weeks ago when 30" of snow fell. They've been dumped on again since then. An easier hike might be from Crawford Notch to Zealand Falls. Aside from the climb out of the Notch, the trail is as flat as it gets in the White Mountains. The AMC Highland Center should be able to provide you with an update on trail conditions.

Remember, you should have extra food, shelter, and a change of clothes with you, even if you are out for a day hike. You should also leave an itinerary with someone, and better yet, hike with someone else who is experienced in winter hiking in the Whites. The Whites can be dangerous year round. They can be deadly in the Winter.

Be careful.

DebW
12-21-2003, 23:08
The hike in to Lonesome Lake is fairly easy and should get alot of traffic. Once the trails are broken and have been packed by a half dozen hikers, it's not a difficult snowshoe, though there is some elevation gain. Check the weather, and check trail conditions at http://www.mountwashington.org/backcountry/index.php and http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/. Pick a day without substantial snowfall expected, mild winds, and temperatures above 10. Carry about 4 layers plus a down parka in the pack. Make sure you have enough clothing to comfortably stand around for a few hours if something goes wrong. Carrying a sleeping bag on a day hike is good insurance. Drink water all day long, eat frequently, but never stop long enough to get chilly. The Whites are beautiful in winter, but challenging.

poison_ivy
12-21-2003, 23:25
Just wanted to chime in and say that I hiked the Lonesome Lake trail this weekend -- it's a very popular trail and it was completely packed down and bareboot-able to the hut. Above the hut (if you plan to go past the lake) you'll want snowshoes, but it's not a very difficult trip. If you do on a Saturday with clear weather, you'll probably meet plenty of others along the way.

I'd also suggest, if you're heading up that way, to think about snowshoeing up the Mount Willard trail (in Crawford Notch)... it is only a couple of miles long, steep but not very difficult, and has outstanding views. It's one of my all-time favorites... I've taken quite a few of my friends for their first snowshoe trip in the Whites on that one and they have all loved it.

- Ivy

Peaks
12-22-2003, 09:32
For those not familiar with the area, The usual winter trail to Lonesome Lake is the Lonesome Lake Trail with a trail head at Lafayette Campground. It's not the Cascade Brook Trail which is the AT (but is certainly doable in winter).

Likewise, the Zealand Road into Zealand hut is closed in winter. So, it's about 6 or 7 miles from the parking lot. It's a good ski in during winter (and very quick to come out again because it is slightly downhill all the way out). I haven't tried to go into Zealand in winter via the Ethan Pond Trail (AT) or over the A-Z trail from Crawford Notch.

Lonesome hut, Zealand hut, and Carter's Notch hut are open in winter.

The popular snow shoe into Carter is Nineteen mile brook trail. The less popular snow shoe route is Wildcat River Trail from the Jackson side (and a great way to snow shoe in).

The deep snows of December 6&7 got wipped out by the rains on December 11.

icemanat95
12-22-2003, 10:56
Conditions in the White Mountains are highly variable, but the bottom line is that you should be prepared for the worst, especially if your plans involve going above tree line. A Presidentials Traverse during Winter is a good test bed for the skills needed to do a McKinley climb (minus the altitude). So until you get some experience under your belt, I would stay away from the high summits in the Winter. The years when people DON'T die on the Presidential Massif are conspicuous by their rarity.

As far as a trip into Lonesome Lake Hut is concerned. Go for it. Make sure you have either a well-stocked daypack with emergency shelter and food, or a light overnight pack, just in case.

I always carry good rain/snow/wind gear, insulating layers to keep we warm in relatively sedentary conditions, and, of course, a good moisture wicking base layer. 2 liters of water minimum, 1 liter handy, the other bundled up in your extra insulating layers to keep it from freezing.