PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Missing on Blood Mountain

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 19:57
See the attached article. I live close to Blood Mountain and heard it on the radio on the way home.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14964662/detail.html

doggiebag
01-02-2008, 20:02
Oh man. Not again.

ChinMusic
01-02-2008, 20:03
Dang, bad weather to have to survive if you have no gear. The trail system is just not that complex around Blood is it? Isn't there just the AT and Freeman for someone day-hiking from Neels?

Hope for the best.

Hikerhead
01-02-2008, 20:08
Maybe Stumpknocker will run into her.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-02-2008, 20:10
Prayers - hope she has built herself a fire - ban or not.

Two Speed
01-02-2008, 20:11
Dang, bad weather to have to survive if you have no gear. The trail system is just not that complex around Blood is it? Isn't there just the AT and Freeman for someone day-hiking from Neels?

Hope for the best.As far as the trail system being complicated, well, that depends on the hiker. Don't forget that there's the abandoned section of the AT on the south side, the Coosa Backcountry comes in pretty close, along with the trail down to Lake Winfield Scott. Gotta say it doesn't sound good if they don't find her soon because it's gonna get cold again tonight.

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 20:12
Yeah not real sure how someone could get lost up there. But one thing I noticed was her dog's leash was in the car. Two things come to mind there. An unleashed dog knocked her down and she is laying up there hurt somewhere. Or she never really made it onto the trail. Bad either way. This article didn't say it, but the radio said her car was found at the parking lot just north of Neels where the Reece trail side saddles to catch the AT going up the mountain. I live about 20 miles by the way the crow flies from Neels. No one survived last night or tonight up there not properly prepared. It was 15 with 50 mph winds and an inch of snow at my house this morning. Suppsed to be colder tonight. Wind chill advisory has the WC down at -15.

Skidsteer
01-02-2008, 20:13

Hope for the best.

It's not terribly complicated.

Freeman and the A. T. form a loop hike with Byron Reese and the A.T leading to Hwy 129 from Flat Rock Gap.

Damn, I wish I was home to help search. I wouldn't want to spend the night up there without a sleeping bag with the wind we've been having the last couple days.

Two Speed
01-02-2008, 20:32
Yeah not real sure how someone could get lost up there. . . No one survived last night or tonight up there not properly prepared. It was 15 with 50 mph winds and an inch of snow at my house this morning. Suppsed to be colder tonight. Wind chill advisory has the WC down at -15.Ouch. Hopefully she's found or made shelter.
It's not terribly complicated. . .OK, then I'm a dimwit, because I did manage to get screwed up in Slaughter Gap twenty plus years ago; wound up at Lake Winfield Scott before I realized how bad I'd fouled up. The weather wasn't nearly as severe, either.

Skids & John, do you know if they need volunteers?

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 20:37

Union County Sheriff's department is heading it up. (706) 439-6066. Im sure they'd love to have help from folks familiar with the Mountain. But they ARE NOT searching at night and the state patrol copter was grounded due to the high winds. Call 'em, they might let you help. I'd go help if I didn't have to work all week.

Skidsteer
01-02-2008, 20:38
[quote=Two Speed;488382]OK, then I'm a dimwit, because I did manage to get screwed up in Slaughter Gap twenty plus years ago; wound up at Lake Winfield Scott before I realized how bad I'd fouled up. The weather wasn't nearly as severe, either.

Well, Slaughter had, like, what, five trails leading into the same place? With a few water trails in the mix?:D

Dunno, but I'd be surprised to be turned away. I'll be home Friday sometime. Hopefully she'll be found safe by then, but if not I'm headin' up to volunteer.

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 20:39
And as fare as being complicated, it depends on how far she was going. Being alone and just one car, I'd venture to say she was planning to go to the top and coming back down. Not too complicated on the NorthEast side of the Mountain is it? Just two trails, right?

Phreak
01-02-2008, 20:39
Can anyone tell me who I can contact to assist with the search?

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 20:41
i just put the number up there. (706) 439-6066

Two Speed
01-02-2008, 20:42
Union County Sheriff's department is heading it up. (706) 439-6066. Im sure they'd love to have help from folks familiar with the Mountain. But they ARE NOT searching at night and the state patrol copter was grounded due to the high winds. Call 'em, they might let you help. I'd go help if I didn't have to work all week.

Can anyone tell me who I can contact to assist with the search?You wanna call 'em and shoot me a PM?

Skidsteer
01-02-2008, 20:43
Can anyone tell me who I can contact to assist with the search?

No, but they usually set up at Neel's Gap or Reese parking lot for Blood Mountain searches. Either way, I bet Winton will know who to contact.

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 20:44
I'm confident Winton is somehow involved and would have all the INFO.

JERMM
01-02-2008, 20:48
I'm available tomorrow to help with a search or whatever is needed

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 20:51

I'm available tomorrow to help with a search or whatever is needed

I'd head on up Rabbit. I doubt they'd turn you away, unless they find here.

Reckon what the odds are she never got on the trail? The whole leash still in the car bothers me. While many folks hike with unleashed dongs, I cant imagine leaving the car without the leash, to leash the dog up if she bothered anyone or made anyone nervous.

Skidsteer
01-02-2008, 20:54
I'd head on up Rabbit. I doubt they'd turn you away, unless they find here.

Reckon what the odds are she never got on the trail? The whole leash still in the car bothers me. While many folks hike with unleashed dongs, I cant imagine leaving the car without the leash, to leash the dog up if she bothered anyone or made anyone nervous.

Good point.

Let's hope and pray it works out and she's found safe.

JERMM
01-02-2008, 20:56
[QUOTE=john30563;488416]I'd head on up Rabbit. I doubt they'd turn you away, unless they find here.

getting my gear together now

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 20:57
How close are you Rabbit? Did you call the Sheriff's department?

JERMM
01-02-2008, 21:02
I live in Lawrenceville, 70 miles from Mt Crossings, I haven't been able to reach anyone by phone yet, will keep trying and post something when I know. i just want to be ready to leave early in the morning if i can help

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 21:10
Keep us posted Rabbit. Thanks!

JERMM
01-02-2008, 21:15
if anyone gets through to the Sheriff's department or any other department involved with the search please let us all know what you find out

double j
01-02-2008, 21:43
man this sucks its very cold outside wish i didnt live so far away

WILLIAM HAYES
01-02-2008, 21:59
Terrible weather to be out in if you are not prepared. I did this section into neels gap several years ago in dec very cold time As I recall going NB the AT goes right and you pick up the trail down to Lake Winfeld Scott on the left a little tricky if I remember-of course it was sleeting rain at the time so my visibility was not the best I hope they find her the weather is cold here in aiken sc and I can imagine how tough it will be tonite wish I lived closerI woul certainly try to help.

Hillbilly

Smile
01-02-2008, 22:02
The N side of blood, coming down can be very confusing, it is not marked well where you need to take a hard left half way down the rock 'face' there.

I sure hope she is AOK, prayers and positivity headed her way wherever she is, hopefully she has the dog and they are together for warmth :)

JERMM
01-02-2008, 22:04
I can't reach anyone at the Sheriff's department, not knowing a last name or ext. number if falls into a general voice mail box.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or know someone within the Sheriff's department?

Kirby
01-02-2008, 22:08
Have you tried calling mountain crossings? Someone mentioned they would have information on it, and might be able to tell you whether the SAR operation is in need of anymore assistance.

Kirby

wrongway_08
01-02-2008, 22:09
Man, wish I could go help, this is really bad with the weather. If she knows how to build a simple ground shelter and keeps the dog with her - she should be okay. Sounds like she didnt have much with her.

Hope no foul play is involved. Seems weird she left the leash in the car, usually a person that has the leash ready would put it on the dog before leaving the car or have the dog exit the driver side and put it on there.

Another thing that is of concern is if they have started searching and yelling and all that - the dog should have heard them and barked or something, unless she is really way off course.

Keeping her and her dog in my prayers. I hope the 2 of them come out of this okay. Really sad news.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2008, 22:09
Mountain Crossings closes at 6 PM

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 22:18
Local NBC station just called the disappearance "bizarre". Could be media hype or they have info they aint sharing unless you stay up til 11 to see it.

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 22:21
Found another number, it seems more local, an exchange I recognize (706) 745-5250

Skidsteer
01-02-2008, 22:23
A similar news link (http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=205392&c=10).

Notice that they don't say they found the leash in or near the car.Just that they found the leash.

wrongway_08
01-02-2008, 22:23
Local NBC station just called the disappearance "bizarre". Could be media hype or they have info they aint sharing unless you stay up til 11 to see it.

I am worried it is a "bizarre" disappearance. Something doesnt seem right with it. I hope I am 100% wrong on this hunch. The leash is what seems weird and no sign from a dog....... if she was hurt and the dog could hear the searchers.... 95% of dogs would holler and bark for help.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2008, 22:24
Did they try tracking with dogs yet? Windy but it's still worth a shot. Bloodhounds and a good handler can do some amazing things. Might have an easier time tracking the other dog's scent as well. Who knows if they're together or where they are, but find one and it might lead to the other. Hope she's holed up on the mountain somewhere, or walked out, 'cause the alternative , well...:(

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 22:28
Here ya go with numbers
(706) 000-1111 Blairsville City Police (County Seat)
706-745-4399--911 non emergency calls
706-439-6091 -- Fire and EMS non emergency (I bet they are really heading the thing up if I were a guessing man!)
Good luck!

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 22:29
A similar news link (http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=205392&c=10).

Notice that they don't say they found the leash in or near the car.Just that they found the leash.

I heard the "in the car" quote on the radio on the way home or on the 6PM news I think. I can't remember.

Bulldawg
01-02-2008, 22:31
And something else we havent discussed here, who says she went up Blood? YOu are supposed to park north of Mountain Crossings no matter which direction you are headed. She could have as easily went up and over Levelland on the northbound side.

??????:confused::confused::confused::confused::con fused::confused:

Skidsteer
01-02-2008, 22:37
And something else we havent discussed here, who says she went up Blood? YOu are supposed to park north of Mountain Crossings no matter which direction you are headed. She could have as easily went up and over Levelland on the northbound side.

??????:confused::confused::confused::confused::con fused::confused:

The article says she was last seen on 'Blood Mountain Trail', which, of course, doesn't exist.

But it sound like they have some leads.

Alligator
01-02-2008, 22:50
What would be useful to know is whether she typically walks the dog using the leash in the woods. That and where was the leash as Skids asked. Oh, and how obedient is the dog. If they haven't found her on a trail, she may have wandered off after the dog and got lost.

Hope they find her soon. Too bad they had to call off the search.

JERMM
01-02-2008, 22:51
a lot of people refer to the Byron Reece trail as the Blood Mt trail.

I will check the local news in the morning at 6A to see if there are any new developments. If not then I will head on up to the Mountain Crossings store, Winton opens at 8A. If any others plan on going up I will see you there. I will be wearing a bright orange jacket.

OregonHiker
01-02-2008, 22:51
Did they try tracking with dogs yet? Windy but it's still worth a shot. Bloodhounds and a good handler can do some amazing things. Might have an easier time tracking the other dog's scent as well. Who knows if they're together or where they are, but find one and it might lead to the other. Hope she's holed up on the mountain somewhere, or walked out, 'cause the alternative , well...:(

Had a recent case near me were they asked that only trained SAR volunteers participate

Phreak
01-02-2008, 23:07
I just saw a report on the news and it doesn't sound good. A witness saw the missing hiker heading down the north side of the mountain towards Neels Gap and also saw a man walking a short distance behind her carrying a police baton. They found her two water bottles, dog leash, dog treats and a pair of men's sunglasses on the trail.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-02-2008, 23:11
:eek::eek::eek::eek: Prayers, prayers and prayers. This sounds like an abduction.

Montego
01-02-2008, 23:11
No, that doesn't sound good at all :(

JERMM
01-02-2008, 23:12
local NBC news just reported a hiker saw the missing hiker (Emerson) around 3P Tues on the trail hiking back toward her car. A man with a baton was spotted on the same trail.
a water bottle, leash, dog treats and sunglasses have been found on trail
officials are at the trailhead tonight and search will continue on Thursday

not good at all

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2008, 23:14
Had a recent case near me were they asked that only trained SAR volunteers participate

Lots of places like that. NH Fish and Game runs a lot of the S&R here in the Whites, but there is a core group of trained voluteers to draw on from lots of other agencies. First rule of rescue: don't become a victim yourself. No need to turn searching for one missing person into a recovery mission for well meaning but untrained volunteer rescuers turned victim.

That said, if it was my daughter or a friend's or maybe even just someone who asked, I know a few of us would probably ignore the authorities and be up on the mountain with full winter gear, headlamps, portable searchlights, etc. Conditions are obviously really bad, but the clock is running out fast on any hope. It might be irresponsible, but I couldn't stand by and do nothing.

Pedaling Fool
01-02-2008, 23:15
I just saw a report on the news and it doesn't sound good. A witness saw the missing hiker heading down the north side of the mountain towards Neels Gap and also saw a man walking a short distance behind her carrying a police baton. They found her two water bottles, dog leash, dog treats and a pair of men's sunglasses on the trail.
I know we know nothing now, but I really hate to hear about reports like this, I hope it doesn't end up like what this report leads me to think.

ChinMusic
01-02-2008, 23:16
Oh no, this does sound bad. We've gone from worrying about someone freezing to death to worse. I hope my fears are all wrong.

OregonHiker
01-02-2008, 23:18
Lots of places like that. NH Fish and Game runs a lot of the S&R here in the Whites, but there is a core group of trained voluteers to draw on from lots of other agencies. First rule of rescue: don't become a victim yourself. No need to turn searching for one missing person into a recovery mission for well meaning but untrained volunteer rescuers turned victim.

This was done to not disturb any trail the victim might have left

Skidsteer
01-02-2008, 23:18
Another link. (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/01/02/missing_0103.html)

ed bell
01-02-2008, 23:27
A good bit of conflicting info on this. Latest article says a collar was found.:confused:

Flotsam
01-02-2008, 23:48
I know a few of us would probably ignore the authorities and be up on the mountain with full winter gear, headlamps, portable searchlights, etc. Conditions are obviously really bad, but the clock is running out fast on any hope. It might be irresponsible, but I couldn't stand by and do nothing.It WOULD be irreesponsible. They are trying to track the victim. Well-meaning "volunteers" at this point will just create more tracks, trails and mis-leads. YOU could end up causing the lost person's death because the search teams were distracted by YOUR footprints and/or scent.

Let the SAR people do their jobs. They will call for volunteer searchers if/when they are needed.

Bulldawg
01-03-2008, 00:03
On local NBC channel 11 right now!

Bulldawg
01-03-2008, 00:07
Someone definately abducted this young girl. According to the news.....a guy say her headed down around 3. Behind he a few feet was a "weird" guy wearing sungalsses and carrying a police type baton. When the man who saw her returned back down the trail he found water bottle, dog collar, dog treats, mens sunglasses, and the baton. The authorities have these items. Makes me wanna "apck" when I hike close to busy roads, but now Im not some pretty young coed either.

BTW, the roommate says the dog "would never leave her side, they are inseperable."

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 00:15
Someone definately abducted this young girl...

Another young women has been missing from Athens since Dec. 29, under suspicious circumstances.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14965025/detail.html

Way too close geographically to just pass it off as circumstance. Bad, bad news.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 00:27
Im not some pretty young coed either.
:confused: Whats a coed?

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 00:29
:confused: Whats a coed?
??? you're, kidding???

No?

A female college student.

Frosty
01-03-2008, 00:30
:confused: Whats a coed?A piece of rope used in the south.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 00:31
??? you're, kidding???

No?

A female college student.
Just looked it up. I got either
COED Commission on Education for the Deaf or
COED Compact Oxford English Dictionary

Still :confused:

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 00:36
Just looked it up. I got either
COED Commission on Education for the Deaf or
COED Compact Oxford English Dictionary

Still :confused:

No fooling you Clouseau.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 00:39
Makes me wanna "apck" when I hike close to busy roads, but now Im not some pretty young coed either.

But the trail is safer than anywhere else, haven't you heard?:rolleyes:

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 00:41
How is it pronounced? Does it rhyme with code/road/load? Is this a southern term or something?

Tin Man
01-03-2008, 00:44
Can we keep this thread serious and about hoping for a positive outcome? Is it so hard to show a little respect for someone lost as well as their loved ones?

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 00:45
Can we keep this thread serious and about hoping for a positive outcome? Is it so hard to show a little respect for someone lost as well as there loved ones?I AM being serious. I just have no idea why they're referring to the missing woman as a "code".

ed bell
01-03-2008, 00:48
I AM being serious. I just have no idea why they're referring to the missing woman as a "code".http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/co-ed

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 00:55
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/co-edHe didn't say "co-ed", he said "coed". Which is a non-word that appears to rhyme with "load".

Internet research reveals that a "co-ed" is apparently an archaic term meaning a "co-educational student", which could be either male or female. Again, a big :confused: here.

Hope she is found safe.

Bulldawg
01-03-2008, 00:59
OK, I am a stupid uneducated redneck, drop it.

River Runner
01-03-2008, 01:12
Sad situation. I wish the man who saw her being followed had alerted someone sooner. It certainly doesn't sound good.

Maple
01-03-2008, 01:15
OK, I am a stupid uneducated redneck, drop it.

Keep in mind this person is from another country...perhaps speaks English as a second language.

Maple
01-03-2008, 01:18
This situation sounds very sad, and gives me second thoughts, especially about going the trail alone. And to think there might be a second victim also. I hope they find the man that was carrying the baton and wearing the sunglasses as he may be the clue to this whole thing. And let's hope they find him quickly before any one else can get hurt. My prayers for the victims and their families and friends.

doggiebag
01-03-2008, 01:20
He didn't say "co-ed", he said "coed". Which is a non-word that appears to rhyme with "load".

Internet research reveals that a "co-ed" is apparently an archaic term meaning a "co-educational student", which could be either male or female. Again, a big :confused: here.

Hope she is found safe.
Flotsam

This is not the appropriate time to discuss semantics and vocabulary. There is a young woman missing.

Regards

doggiebag
01-03-2008, 01:23
This situation sounds very sad, and gives me second thoughts, especially about going the trail alone. And to think there might be a second victim also. I hope they find the man that was carrying the baton and wearing the sunglasses as he may be the clue to this whole thing. And let's hope they find him quickly before any one else can get hurt. My prayers for the victims and their families and friends.
All we can do is hope and pray. This can easily turn out for the better come morning.

ChinMusic
01-03-2008, 01:29
This situation sounds very sad, and gives me second thoughts, especially about going the trail alone.
It would take away from the joy of hiking, having to worry about such things. Sad, but a real concern for solo females, even if the risk is remote.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 02:19
This does not sound encouraging...:(

From: http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=108958

Cold weather and darkness forced crews to suspend the search for a missing Gwinnett County woman.

Meredith Emerson, 24, along with her dog went hiking Tuesday on the Appalachian Trail on Blood Mountain in Union County, and has not been seen since.

She is described as an experienced hiker who knows the area well. It is said that she does not get turned around easily, so everyone is wondering what has happened to her. Given the cold weather, friends and family are desperate to find her.

Emergency personnel are staked out on the Appalachian Trail on Blood Mountain. They said they will resume their search for her at sunrise.

"Meredith is my roommate. She did not come home last night. She left a note that said she was going hiking yesterday afternoon," said her roommate. "She didn't come home, and then her dog wasn't there this morning, which it usually is, and then we heard that she did not show up for work, which is very unlike her."

Her car was found in the trailhead parking lot, covered in snow. But there was no sign of Meredith or her dog.

While the sheriff's department and GEMA are handing it as a missing persons' case, there are some details that have friends concerned. According to her roommate, a man hiking on the trail on Tuesday said he recalled seeing her and her dog on the trail, but he said he also noticed a gentleman on the trail that gave him an uneasy feeling, who he said was carrying a police baton.

The hiker who saw the man with the baton said he continued up the hill. He said that when he came back down the hill that he found some of Meredith's belongings including a leash, two water bottles and some dog treats. Also, next to those items, were a police baton and some men's sunglasses.

All of that information is being checked into.

Searchers covered about six miles of the Appalachian Trail on Wednesday, and they said they hope to get a helicopter up in the air on Thursday.

Anyone who has any information that may help in the search is asked to call GEMA at 706-439-6038.

Montego
01-03-2008, 02:32
Another young women has been missing from Athens since Dec. 29, under suspicious circumstances.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14965025/detail.html

Way too close geographically to just pass it off as circumstance. Bad, bad news.

[quote=john30563;488638]Someone definately abducted this young girl. According to the news.....a guy say her headed down around 3. Behind he a few feet was a "weird" guy wearing sungalsses and carrying a police type baton. When the man who saw her returned back down the trail he found water bottle, dog collar, dog treats, mens sunglasses, and the baton. The authorities have these items.

Makes me wonder if these two incidences are related as in "serial stalker"? I sure hope not. My prayers go out to these two girls and their families.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 02:39
Here's another update from 9news http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=83799

"...According to workers at the Visitors Center, someone saw Emerson coming down the mountain, trailed by someone with a police baton.

WXIA reports a hiker turned in a dog leash, two water bottles and a police baton to the Visitors Center. Emerson's car was also found. According to WXIA, the significance of the findings was not realized until later; authorities do not know the identity of the hiker who turned in the belongings but they would like to speak to him because he may have seen something.

According to WXIA, despite the finding of the police baton, the Union County Sheriff's Department is considering this a missing person search, not a criminal investigation...."

Missing persons? Friggin' Barney Fife is alive and well in Georgia.

Sly
01-03-2008, 02:56
...authorities do not know the identity of the hiker who turned in the belongings but they would like to speak to him because he may have seen something.

....despite the finding of the police baton, the Union County Sheriff's Department is considering this a missing person search, not a criminal investigation...."

Missing persons? Friggin' Barney Fife is alive and well in Georgia.

I think it's a police tactic hoping the perp will come forward. You see it all the time, criminals leaving evidence and returning to the scene of the crime.

PS I don't think it really matters if she left the leash in the car. It appeared to me people were reading too much into it. On the trail is a different matter. The fact other personal belongings were found on the trail, definitely leads me to believe she was abducted.

River Runner
01-03-2008, 03:52
I'm wondering if the dog was abducted too, or if it was killed and its body might be hidden somewhere near the trail?

Wonder if it's coicidence the other girl had a dog too that helped cue others to the fact she was missing?

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 04:19
I think it's a police tactic hoping the perp will come forward. You see it all the time, criminals leaving evidence and returning to the scene of the crime.

PS I don't think it really matters if she left the leash in the car. It appeared to me people were reading too much into it. On the trail is a different matter. The fact other personal belongings were found on the trail, definitely leads me to believe she was abducted.

Last seen alive 3pm Tuesday. Personal belongings found with those of a suspicious male with a police baton while heading back to her car Tuesday afternoon. Missing over 36 hours now either in severe cold and wind or abducted by sicko. Something's very wrong here and time ain't on this girl's side. I've never heard of kidnappers returning to the scene - they run. I truly hope I'm wrong, but a happy ending doesn't seem likely, too much time has already passed.

Sly
01-03-2008, 04:25
I've never heard of kidnappers returning to the scene - they run. I truly hope I'm wrong, but a happy ending doesn't seem likely, too much time has already passed.

Kidnappers maybe but that's not true of others. There was just something on TV where a couple showed back up the scene in WA that had murdered someone.

Thinking about it, what I can't understand if they found the baton, what was stopping the girl from running away or defending herself?

It's a mystery for sure...

zoidfu
01-03-2008, 05:44
Kidnappers maybe but that's not true of others. There was just something on TV where a couple showed back up the scene in WA that had murdered someone.

Thinking about it, what I can't understand if they found the baton, what was stopping the girl from running away or defending herself?

It's a mystery for sure...

Because he had already used it on her?

Sly
01-03-2008, 05:56
Because he had already used it on her?

I hate to get graphic (and pessimistic) but if he did that on the trail he would have had to drag her away. I would think there'd be evidence of that. Which leads me back into the police duping the perp to exposing himself.

For all we know it could be a case of the "Runaway Hiker."

zoidfu
01-03-2008, 06:08
I hate to get graphic (and pessimistic) but if he did that on the trail he would have had to drag her away. I would think there'd be evidence of that. Which leads me back into the police duping the perp to exposing himself.

For all we know it could be a case of the "Runaway Hiker."

Hmmmm... Great point.... The only thing that's certain is that they're holding back a lot of info.

zoidfu
01-03-2008, 06:11
Another question of mine- What the hell was going through that other hiker's head when he passed a guy CARRYING A POLICE BATON? I can't believe he just kept on going.... doesn't anyone have any common sense?

JERMM
01-03-2008, 07:14
I just spoke with FEMA (706-439-6038), she said there will be a press conference at 10A from Vogel SP. She didn't know if volunteers were needed and would not comment with any additional information or answer any questions, she advised to wait for the press conference at 10:00.

NorthCountryWoods
01-03-2008, 07:31
Another question of mine- What the hell was going through that other hiker's head when he passed a guy CARRYING A POLICE BATON? I can't believe he just kept on going.... doesn't anyone have any common sense?

My elderly neighbor used to walk the local trails with a baseball bat, kept dogs away. Also knew a local guy that hiked the LT in a kilt and carried a intricately carved wooden club that would put a police baton to shame.

If you confronted every weirdo on the trail, you'd be a busy guy.

zoidfu
01-03-2008, 07:37
My elderly neighbor used to walk the local trails with a baseball bat, kept dogs away. Also knew a local guy that hiked the LT in a kilt and carried a intricately carved wooden club that would put a police baton to shame.

If you confronted every weirdo on the trail, you'd be a busy guy.

Not every weirdo carries something that has no use at all except as a weapon. Do it your way, but I'm just going to try to use a little caution and a little common sense. I guess it's a little easier of a call for me since I always carry at least bear mace and usually carry a .22 pistol. I'm not advocating being a some kind of trail vigilante but seeing a guy with a baton following a woman is definitely going to set off the alarm bells in my head. The trail would be a lot safer if we all looked after each other or at least used our brain just a little bit.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 07:40
i'm calling BS on a witness seeing a man following a woman close behind with a baton, no dog and she made no attempt to alert this witness that she was in trouble. WHO is this witness?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2008, 08:13
Please be mindful that the family and / or friends of this missing lady may see this thread. Please don't post anything you wouldn't want to read if this were your wife, sister, daughter or friend.

StarLyte
01-03-2008, 08:17
i'm calling BS on a witness seeing a man following a woman close behind with a baton, no dog and she made no attempt to alert this witness that she was in trouble. WHO is this witness?

I was thinking this LW and was waiting to hear more facts. BS is right.

I hope the facts are incorrect or over-exaggerated and she's okay. :sun

TOW
01-03-2008, 08:17
Please be mindful that the family and / or friends of this missing lady may see this thread. Please don't post anything you wouldn't want to read if this were your wife, sister, daughter or friend.
Keeping this in mind, the whole thing seems a bit suspicious to me. :-?

Hyway
01-03-2008, 08:55
A girls missing, sketchy media reports of hearsay evidence, and half the board turns into private dicks.

A couple weeks ago when that dad and his kids went missing in California while out getting a christmas tree the media reported all types of silly stuff about how they were dressed and other stuff, heck I even heard one reporter say that a bikini top was found. Turned out they were dressed for bad weather and were smart about taking car of themselves. I wonder how many of the {people} on this board had some pet theories on what happened that had no resemblance to the actual events.

Tin Man
01-03-2008, 09:04
A girls missing, sketchy media reports of hearsay evidence, and half the board turns into private dicks.

A couple weeks ago when that dad and his kids went missing in California while out getting a christmas tree the media reported all types of silly stuff about how they were dressed and other stuff, heck I even heard one reporter say that a bikini top was found. Turned out they were dressed for bad weather and were smart about taking car of themselves. I wonder how many of the {people} on this board had some pet theories on what happened that had no resemblance to the actual events.

Um, maybe all of them? :-?

~Patiently waiting for a good outcome.

Dances with Mice
01-03-2008, 09:22
I'm still trying to process how some items found on the north side of Blood wound up being turned in at the Vistor's Center, which I take to mean the one at Amicalola. Those two points are some distance apart, even by car. Maybe they meant the store at Neels. Whatever.

The first news stories about any event tend to be incomplete, inaccurate, contradictory, and misleading. I expect that's true in this case too. All that's really known right now is that someone is missing.

Two Speed
01-03-2008, 09:27
I'm still trying to process how some items found on the north side of Blood wound up being turned in at the Vistor's Center, which I take to mean the one at Amicalola. Those two points are some distance apart, even by car. Maybe they meant the store at Neels. Whatever.The main office at Vogel State Park is referred to as the Visitor's Center
The first news stories about any event tend to be incomplete, inaccurate, contradictory, and misleading. I expect that's true in this case too. All that's really known right now is that someone is missing.Ain't that the ever lovin' truth.

woodsy
01-03-2008, 10:02
CNN Headline News is reporting the story this morning and saying Police do not suspect foul play at this time. FWIW

Hyway
01-03-2008, 10:11
Thank you frolicking dinosaur. I should have deleted it myself. It just bugs me how we take media reports as facts and than act like we know more than the people actually searching for the girl knows. It happens over and over, then after the facts do come out no one ever owns up to their ignorant deductions.

MOWGLI
01-03-2008, 10:14
I have 3 daughters around this woman's age. I hope that she is found OK. That's all I have to say.

jessicacomp
01-03-2008, 10:33
I read this and did what my mother has been asking me to do for weeks- signed up for slf defense lessons.
My prayers are with this girl and her family.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 10:41
I read this and did what my mother has been asking me to do for weeks- signed up for slf defense lessons.
My prayers are with this girl and her family.

That is a good start, also learn combat pistol shooting...and get a Glock.

TOW
01-03-2008, 10:54
CNN Headline News is reporting the story this morning and saying Police do not suspect foul play at this time. FWIW
What made me suspcious was all the other stuff being reported. So hopefully it is not an abduction. I hope she is found.

TOW
01-03-2008, 10:55
Thank you frolicking dinosaur. I should have deleted it myself. It just bugs me how we take media reports as facts and than act like we know more than the people actually searching for the girl knows. It happens over and over, then after the facts do come out no one ever owns up to their ignorant deductions.
I'll own up to mine anytime anyone wants to call me on it! I think I will anyway....................:-?

Tony
01-03-2008, 11:05
Headline News just stated that there will be a news conference in a matter of minutes for those interested in hearing what is being briefed.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 11:14
Headline News just stated that there will be a news conference in a matter of minutes for those interested in hearing what is being briefed.

nothing much reported. more at 11:30

Yahtzee
01-03-2008, 11:15

Thanks for the heads up. The commentator mentioned that police do not suspect foul play, but nothing from the report indicated that.

TOW
01-03-2008, 11:17
have they already had it? i got it on right now...........

Tony
01-03-2008, 11:17
If it were something where foul play had been initially or currently suspected, the news would have played it up harder. You know how the news is, the more violent, the more coverage.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 11:21

yeah. tune in at 11:30

Yahtzee
01-03-2008, 11:21

Already on. Only on for half a minute or so. When it became obvious nothing new was being reported, that the good info was to come at 11:30, the station cut away quick.

scothiker
01-03-2008, 11:24
Any information about people who want to volunteer to search?

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 11:35
i think they just said they found the dog

Grandma
01-03-2008, 11:45
If that is the case, it doesn't sound good for the girl. Not to mention the cold weather we had here last night. I bet the wind was brutal up on Blood.

Phreak
01-03-2008, 11:48
i think they just said they found the dog

Hey LW, what site are you getting your info from? I'm having trouble locating up-to-date information on this story.

Thanks.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 11:54
Hey LW, what site are you getting your info from? I'm having trouble locating up-to-date information on this story.

Thanks.

i've got HNN on the tube. Headline News Network

Survivor Dave
01-03-2008, 12:07
I know there are a lot of hikers looking for this girl. Has anyone offered to bring food, warm drinks and the like up to Neels to help them? I know a hot cup of coffee and food would be greatly appreciated!
I will be back in town from Miami tomorrow. If anyone wants to tag along with a pot luck of stuff, Lemme know. I hope to be there tomorrow evening with nourishment and such.

SD

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 12:08
there's a command post set up with food and such

Tony
01-03-2008, 12:10
I know there are a lot of hikers looking for this girl. Has anyone offered to bring food, warm drinks and the like up to Neels to help them? I know a hot cup of coffee and food would be greatly appreciated!
I will be back in town from Miami tomorrow. If anyone wants to tag along with a pot luck of stuff, Lemme know. I hope to be there tomorrow evening with nourishment and such.

SD

Headline news showed a part of the conference where it was stated that they had a warm up tent/space as well as hot liquids for the searchers. I am sure that any assist would be appreciated.

RITBlake
01-03-2008, 12:11

would you mind reducing the size of your signature font, its really distracting

you can make your point w/ out the huge font

thanks

TOW
01-03-2008, 12:28
cnn getting ready air right now...........

Notsosure
01-03-2008, 12:30

SD

She worked or did work for the Gwinnett Center Arena. My niece said the kitchen staff there are headed up to do just that.

rafe
01-03-2008, 12:30
would you mind reducing the size of your signature font, its really distracting

you can make your point w/ out the huge font

thanks

I'll second that request...

ed bell
01-03-2008, 12:31
I'll second that request...Third. Thanks in advance.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 12:32
whaaaa! all of ya. be thankful y'all are sighted

TOW
01-03-2008, 12:33
I Just Want Tbe Noticed. I Don't Get Enough Attention.........

Grandma
01-03-2008, 12:34
Don't let the man bring you down.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 12:35

can't believe you gave into snivelers

TOW
01-03-2008, 12:37
Ain't no one bringing me down, just joshing everyone. Now back to the thread, this ain't about me...........

bigmac_in
01-03-2008, 12:37

I agree with LW on this one - people complain about EVERYTHING don't they?

TOW
01-03-2008, 12:38
I'm weak LW, I was afraid that they were going to show up at TD's and whoop my hiney............

Smile
TOW, you're noticed. You write great stuff :)
Nice signature too!

Dino, thanks for posting your comments about her family, good to keep in mind.

I hope this works out AOK and there is good news, soon. Thoughts, positivity and prayers go out to the family and searchers.

Is the weather due to break down there anytime soon?

bigmac_in
Ain't no one bringing me down, just joshing everyone. Now back to the thread, this ain't about me...........

You're a big man TOW !

What's the update on the telly? Anyone?

TOW
01-03-2008, 12:39
It's breaking here so hopefully it should break there as well..........

TOW
01-03-2008, 12:39
i thought cnn was airing, they mentioned they were?

RITBlake
01-03-2008, 12:40

and now back to the obviously more important topic at hand, the lost hiker.

Tin Man
01-03-2008, 12:42
I tuned into HN at 11:30 as LW suggested. I now know more about hollywood hookups and breakups than I ever wanted to know... (where's the barf smilie?)

johnny quest
01-03-2008, 12:43
A Prayer For The Missing

O, Blessed Mother and St Joseph,
you searched when your Son Jesus
disappeared when he was twelve.
You would not give up
until he was found.
You know the pain of having someone missing,
and the joy of finding them,
as you found your son.
Help those who are searching now,
to find the answers to their questions,
and an end to their searching.
Inspire people to be vigilant,
so that their eyes and ears
may see and hear news that will bring hope.
Comfort those who feel lonely and sad
because the one they love has vanished.
Be with them in the storm
and guide them in their efforts.
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 12:44
Live video feed from the search area
http://www.11alive.com/video/default_live.aspx?storyid=108981

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2008, 12:51
First - they are saying on news they are accepting volunteers

Tony
01-03-2008, 12:51
Fox News said they are coming back to the story after commercial break. Hope to hear more than the quick blurbs that have been going on.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2008, 12:53
They are looking for a white male, age 50 to 60 with bad dental work, an older backpack, a yellow jacket and a large red dog named 'Danny". He was seen with the missing woman numerous times. He appeared very weathered and is possibly living on the trail.

chili36
01-03-2008, 12:53
In times like this, we can only hope for the best. Unfortunately, it doesn't look too good.

Peace be with her family.

TOW
01-03-2008, 12:54
Okay they are looking for a guy who is in his 50's-50's, 160 lbs, yellow jacket, very large backpack, bad teeth with a dog that goes by the name of "Danny." They are sayin this person was seen with the missing girl.........

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 12:55
report says they're looking for a person of interest. described as a white male, 50-60 years old, 160 lbs. with bad or no teeth, weathered looking wearing a yellow jacket and an older full backpack. he is hiking with a dark reddish retriever type dog named danny. he was seen several times with the gal on tuesday

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 12:56
For those that missed the press conference, the following is as best I can remember.

A "Person of interest" is described as a 50 to 60 year old white male with bad or no teeth and a dark red labrador retriever named Danny. He was seen by other hikers talking with Meredith several times on Tuesday. He was said to look as though he had been hiking/out for some time and carried a large pack, a sheath of some sort, etc. Volunteer are being sent out by S&R starting at noon.

Another live feed is scheduled for 2pm

Miss Janet
01-03-2008, 12:57
This has to be so hard for her family! I hope they are getting better information from the authorities than these news clips are giving! But it sounds like she is a smart and strong woman... I will keep believing that she will be ok!

doggiebag
01-03-2008, 12:59
That's very specific information. This thing will be over soon.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 13:03
That's very specific information. This thing will be over soon.

not really. this POI may have nothing to do with her disappearance. he may be minding his own business and hiked on north or south on the AT. i'm sure the GBI has people hiking in from both ways to find him

doggiebag
01-03-2008, 13:05
not really. this POI may have nothing to do with her disappearance. he may be minding his own business and hiked on north or south on the AT. i'm sure the GBI has people hiking in from both ways to find him
So true. I was jumping to conclusions. It's just upsetting. Hoping for the best.

Sly
01-03-2008, 13:29

What is your problem? It's a discussion board, people have ideas, some may be right, some may be wrong. It's obvious the people on the mountain don't know much more than we do and I'm sure they have theories too.

Would you prefer, no discussion at all?

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 13:39
What is your problem? It's a discussion board, people have ideas, some may be right, some may be wrong. It's obvious the people on the mountain don't know much more than we do and I'm sure they have theories too.

Would you prefer, no discussion at all?

Yeah, I always wonder about the "we shouldn't discuss this" posts on a discussion board. I doubt any of the speculation here has been any different than what people on the scene have considered.

If certain people don't want to read it they should quite simply not click on the link to the thread.

Sly
01-03-2008, 13:45
I'm not sure if this link has been posted yet. It's channel 2 in Atlanta. Check out the the video.

River Runner
01-03-2008, 13:50

Maybe since it's an internet forum and people are free to write what they are thinking, whether right or wrong?

I think the main thing is that people are concerned, and are wondering what has happened, leading them to guess. As long as it's done respectfully, no harm, no foul, in my opinion. I think darn near all of us realize it's only speculation.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2008, 13:55
From the report sly posted:

On Thursday search organizers asked other hikers to stay off the Blood Mountain Trail while they used an infrared device. They are hoping to pick up images of Emerson from her body heat.Please, anyone who plans to try to help, go thru the proper channels. Go to the command post and let them pair you with experienced SAR so that you don't hamper rather than help.

As for speculation - remember that it is very common for friends and family to visit hiking sites when someone disappears. Please don't posts speculations that you would not want to read in similar circumstances.

Dranoel
01-03-2008, 13:58
Heard the news from CNN.com I knew there would be a thread here concerning the missing hiker.

It doesn't sound like a way-ward hiker. This sucks.

Prayers going out to her family & friends for a good outcome.

partinj
01-03-2008, 14:03
I sure hope they find her alive and well. I will say a pray for her and her Family and friends

Sly
01-03-2008, 14:05
Besides Stumpknocker how many hikers left Springer New Years Day? They'll probably be stopped for questioning.

D'Artagnan
01-03-2008, 14:14
Hoping only for the best. Sounds like she is scrappy and knows how to handle herself. That's a major plus.

JERMM
01-03-2008, 14:15
the command post is at Vogel SP

Her parents arrived from CO and have joined the search

RITBlake
01-03-2008, 14:21
this might be a long shot, but has anyone though of perusing current trail journals and looking for a photo of this guy. It's possible that a thru hiker snapped a pic of him as they passed one another and just randomlly added it to his journal.

Worth a look, just want do something to help, and you never know.....

RITBlake
01-03-2008, 14:23
obviously not to many people out there now but we do occasionaly have folks that start on new years. And now that I think of it, some late sobos are finishing up as well. This needs to get out to the TJ and WB community in full effect.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 14:31
As for speculation - remember that it is very common for friends and family to visit hiking sites when someone disappears. Please don't posts speculations that you would not want to read in similar circumstances.

Noted. But I also think many of the speculative posts here have simply been 12 hours or so ahead of the curve. People here know the trail, hiker behavior, etc. perhaps better than most anyone.

johnny quest
01-03-2008, 14:35
RITBlakes idea is a good one. i wonderif there a way to send out an email to all subscribers appraising them of the situation and asking if they have any info to call the appropriate authorities

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 14:37
Headline News just said the GBI is calling this a criminal case

RITBlake
01-03-2008, 14:38
RITBlakes idea is a good one. i wonderif there a way to send out an email to all subscribers appraising them of the situation and asking if they have any info to call the appropriate authorities

good idea, maybe it wasn't a thru hiker, maybe somebody that went on a day hike and saw this guy that day or on a previous day and might be missing the story if he has his/her TV turned off.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 14:42
Besides Stumpknocker how many hikers left Springer New Years Day? They'll probably be stopped for questioning.I was just about to ask that myself. Won't the New Years thrus be pulling into Neels later today?

Dranoel
01-03-2008, 14:53
I was just about to ask that myself. Won't the New Years thrus be pulling into Neels later today?

Here is the describtion of the man (geez he can't be hard to remember):

Verdone said the man was seen talking to Emerson on the trail several times. She described him as a white male between 50 and 60 years old, about 160 pounds, with "bad dental."

The man had a sheath of some sort on one of his legs, Verdone said, but police don't know what was in it. He was wearing a yellow jacket and a large backpack -- "something you would use for a couple of days," she said.
"One of the eyewitnesses described him as being weathered and no teeth and looked as if he had been hiking for quite some time," Verdone said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/03/missing.hiker/index.html

Wise Old Owl
01-03-2008, 15:00
BLAIRSVILLE, Ga. -- Authorities announced Thursday they are looking for a “person of interest” in the case of a missing Gwinnett County hiker.

Meredith Emerson, 24, a Colorado native who now lives in Buford, went hiking with her black Labrador Retriever on Tuesday morning, friends said. MISSING SINCE JAN 1ST

Her 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier was found abandoned Wednesday at the base of Blood Mountain.

Authorities said the person of interest is a Garry Micheal Hindon in his 50's or 60's. Witnesses told police he was wearing a yellow jacket and a large, older large backpack, something a person would use if he was planning to be in the mountains a couple of days or more.

(added) missing or poor teeth. 160 pounds, He has a sheath on his belt. Traveling with a large reddish black retriever called Dandie.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/03/missing.hiker/index.html

Grandma
01-03-2008, 15:01
Stumpknocker was heading to the Hiker Hostel last night, and if he hit the trail this morning, then I am sure he has run into some of the S&R. I'm sure some of the other NOBOs are in the same area. With the cold weather, I am sure the trail was quiet that day around Neels.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 15:04
Stumpknocker was heading to the Hiker Hostel last night, and if he hit the trail this morning, then I am sure he has run into some of the S&R. I'm sure some of the other NOBOs are in the same area. With the cold weather, I am sure the trail was quiet that day around Neels.I thought they were all NOBO from Springer tues morning? The HH is back in Dahlonaga, the wrong direction for Nobos. Or am I confused here?

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 15:05
I thought they were all NOBO from Springer tues morning? The HH is back in Dahlonaga, the wrong direction for Nobos. Or am I confused here?

the HH is a short drive from Woody Gap

turtlex
01-03-2008, 15:05
I was just coming over here to post this. Scary stuff. Sending hopes that all turns out okay.

Regards, turtlex

Sly
01-03-2008, 15:08
I thought they were all NOBO from Springer tues morning? The HH is back in Dahlonaga, the wrong direction for Nobos. Or am I confused here?

The Hiker Hostel is at Woody Gap mile 20 or so.

TwistedANT
01-03-2008, 15:08
I am a co-worker of Meredith. I happened to stumble apon your all's forum when searching for more news info on her disappearence.

I wanted to say that it nice to see that even people who don't know Meredith are wanting to get involved in her rescue. I have ready many other post where people are extremly negative and unforgiving torwards the situation.

We have been paitently awaiting the news at work in hopes that they find her. A few of the employees at the office took the day off and are helping in the her search. I know that as each passing hour goes by that her chances grow slimmer and slimmer for survival but all we can do is pray that she is returned safe and sound.

If she isnt found today then I will be volunteering tomorrow to aide in her search. If any of you decide to help today or tomorrow I want to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for caring about this young womans life.

God bless you all and please keep Meredith in your prayers!

ARambler
01-03-2008, 15:09

You're confused. Look it up on TJ. He's with Superstar sic. HH is 7 to 10 south of Blood Mt.

warraghiyagey
01-03-2008, 15:12
I am a co-worker of Meredith. I happened to stumble apon your all's forum when searching for more news info on her disappearence.

I wanted to say that it nice to see that even people who don't know Meredith are wanting to get involved in her rescue. I have ready many other post where people are extremly negative and unforgiving torwards the situation.

We have been paitently awaiting the news at work in hopes that they find her. A few of the employees at the office took the day off and are helping in the her search. I know that as each passing hour goes by that her chances grow slimmer and slimmer for survival but all we can do is pray that she is returned safe and sound.

If she isnt found today then I will be volunteering tomorrow to aide in her search. If any of you decide to help today or tomorrow I want to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for caring about this young womans life.

Thanks T-ANT.
I'm sure we're all sending along the best of energy and concern. Hoping you'll keep posting here with any progress.
Peace
Warraghiyagey
:sun :sun :sun

Dranoel
01-03-2008, 15:16

You came to the right web site. White Blaze is dedicated to the hikers of the AT. It's kind of like family- we look after our own.

I would be doing my part in the search- but live in Las Vegas now.

Hope & prayers with the family & friends.

Miss Janet
01-03-2008, 15:17
I have emailed a couple of SoBo's just finished a few days ago. Maybe they met this guy on the trail if he has been around for awhile. I am sure Winton or Pirate will know if someone matching that description and having a dog is living off the trail down there. This man may know something even if he had nothing to do with her disappearance.

Speculation is natural and just part of the thought process that we go through. I really hope some of our darkest thoughts are not true.

ed bell
01-03-2008, 15:18

God bless you all and please keep Meredith in your prayers!Thank you for adding to our discussion. I certainly wish it was under different circumstances, and I'll keep her in my prayers.

MOWGLI
01-03-2008, 15:19
The Hiker Hostel is at Woody Gap mile 20 or so.

The hostel isn't actually at he gap. It is about 5 miles from the gap.

If she isnt found today then I will be volunteering tomorrow to aide in her search.

That's my plan if they are still looking for help. I know the trails fairly well having led hikes on the AT and the Freeman Trail numerous times.

warraghiyagey
01-03-2008, 15:20
Thanks T-ANT.
I'm sure we're all sending along the best of energy and concern. Hoping you'll keep posting here with any progress.
Peace
Warraghiyagey
:sun :sun :sun

Oh. And. . .:welcome :welcome :) :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2008, 15:20
Any idea if they need people to prepare food and drinks? I'm not much of a winter hiker due to my balance issues / bad leg, but I can handle cooking for a crowd and giving TLC to SAR people.

JERMM
01-03-2008, 15:24
the latest report on CNN, the spokesperson for the Union Co Sheriffs dept., said they are excepting volunteers to assist in the search. She didn't say where they are to report but the command center is at the Vogel SP visitors center.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 15:30
I have ready many other post where people are extremly negative and unforgiving torwards the situation.
Unforgiving? :confused: Nobody knows yet what has happened, what is there to forgive or be unforgiving about?

Kirby
01-03-2008, 15:32
Very upsetting, I hope with all my might things turn out OK.

Kirby

brotheral
01-03-2008, 15:32
I'm lifting up many prayers for this young lady !!
BrotherAL

warraghiyagey
01-03-2008, 15:33
Unforgiving? :confused: Nobody knows yet what has happened, what is there to forgive or be unforgiving about?
Hopes. We have a new member that knows the missing and some of the posts here may have been difficult for him to read.

Marta
01-03-2008, 15:33
Besides Stumpknocker how many hikers left Springer New Years Day? They'll probably be stopped for questioning.

Other than Stumpknocker (and Superstar), I ran into Blue Vist starting a NOBO. She was on the Approach Trail 1/1. There were a bunch of section hikers, including a couple of guys planning to go to Woody Gap over three days.

spittinpigeon
01-03-2008, 15:36
Union County Sheriff's department is heading it up. (706) 439-6066. Im sure they'd love to have help from folks familiar with the Mountain. But they ARE NOT searching at night
That seems to be the first mistake. At the most critical time, they weren't searching.

Sly
01-03-2008, 15:38
The hostel isn't actually at he gap. It is about 5 miles from the gap.

Yeah, I know, you get to it from Woody Gap. I'm sure most hikers don't walk the 5 miles. It's like the Kincora is at Dennis Cove but .4 off the trail

SmokyMtn Hiker
01-03-2008, 16:00
Latest news is they think the POI is driving a 2000 - 2001 white minivan with GA plates.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 16:04
Latest news is they think the POI is driving a 2000 - 2001 white minivan with GA plates.What is the best news website (not TV channel) for updates?

hammock engineer
01-03-2008, 16:05
Other than Stumpknocker (and Superstar), I ran into Blue Vist starting a NOBO. She was on the Approach Trail 1/1. There were a bunch of section hikers, including a couple of guys planning to go to Woody Gap over three days.

Southbounder wise, there should be 3 in the area somewhere. Hopefully me in a week.

SmokyMtn Hiker
01-03-2008, 16:07
CNN.com seems to have the most up to date info.

Dranoel
01-03-2008, 16:14
Here is a photo of her- with the missing dog:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ht_ella_meredith_080103_ms.jpg

I found her MySpace page- but it is set to private. Her dog, Ella, is the default photo. It seems she is pretty close to her canine friend.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=168655599

doggiebag
01-03-2008, 16:19
this might be a long shot, but has anyone though of perusing current trail journals and looking for a photo of this guy. It's possible that a thru hiker snapped a pic of him as they passed one another and just randomlly added it to his journal.

Worth a look, just want do something to help, and you never know.....
I'm using google search engines more specifically images.google.com - I'm thinking hikers like to photograph hiking dogs and long distance hikers. I'm using key words of: Georgia, Dog, Danny, etc. ... it's a long shot but there are thousands of pictures to go through. In addition to trailjournals and even possibly white blaze. If this guy's been around for a few years ... someone might have a picture of him or his dog.

tazie
01-03-2008, 16:19
[quote=Dranoel;489323]Here is a photo of her- with the missing dog:

Did I read somewhere that they found the dog already? (sorry, at work and not getting updated info) My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family.

Dranoel
01-03-2008, 16:23
Here is a photo of her- with the missing dog:

Did I read somewhere that they found the dog already? (sorry, at work and not getting updated info) My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family.

ABC News & CNN are still reporting both as being missing. They found the dog leash according to CNN.

River Runner
01-03-2008, 16:27

I'm just guessing here, but she was thanking the members at Whiteblaze for being concerned and supportive. I am guessing that other websites have said some unkind things, perhaps about how she shouldn't have been hiking alone, shouldn't have been hiking in such cold weather, etc. instead of being concerned for her well being and for those close enough, willing to help with the search.

A-Train
01-03-2008, 16:28
Yikes. My thoughts go out to her friends and family. We've got to pray for a miracle.

This reminds me of a similar situation at my college last year. A 21 yr old woman/student was abducted in Burlington VT and found later in the woods in Richmond, 20 miles away. What a tragedy. However a commercial/promotion was made with various celebrities in her honor, as a nice tribute.

Google "Michelle Gardner-Quinn" to see it.

Dranoel
01-03-2008, 16:28
I'm using google search engines more specifically images.google.com - I'm thinking hikers like to photograph hiking dogs and long distance hikers. I'm using key words of: Georgia, Dog, Danny, etc. ... it's a long shot but there are thousands of pictures to go through. In addition to trailjournals and even possibly white blaze. If this guy's been around for a few years ... someone might have a picture of him or his dog.

That's a great idea!

Needle in a haystack- but it might turn up something worthy. Especially, like you said, he has been a hiker for a number of years.

We need a photo of the person possibly linked to the disappearance of Meredith.

JERMM
01-03-2008, 16:33

doggiebag, good idea. According to the spokesperson from the Union Co Sheriffs Dept the name of the dog belonging to the POI is not "Danny" as stated earlier, but "Dandy or Dandie"

Dranoel
01-03-2008, 16:35

The person of interest dog is being reported as "Dandy"

FWIW

Chris_Asheville
01-03-2008, 16:36
Has anyone found anything by looking on Whiteblaze about the POI or has anyone heard from any local hikers in that area who may have been out that day?
Like someone said earlier, the details are pretty solid about the POI. I hope he comes forward. Most recently, I've heard they found her mittens nearby.

Please post updates ASAP.

doggiebag
01-03-2008, 16:39
The person of interest dog is being reported as "Dandy"

FWIW
OK I'm changing my keywords to include dandie, dandy, dandi ... etc.

Dranoel
01-03-2008, 17:03
I posted a new thread on the NWHikers.net forum:
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7964131

It's a long shot, but maybe our POI has hiked the NW at some point.

They have a good site for PCT & NW hiking. I've been lurking on their site for the past few months. They get involved in reporting & assisting finding missing hikers (as we do).

In fact, they have made me avalanche aware & what things to do (and not to do). :-?

The Weasel
01-03-2008, 17:19
it might be useful for someone to contact walasi yi...very possible he went by there.

TW

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 17:21
it might be useful for someone to contact walasi yi...very possible he went by there.

TW

i'm sure a ton of cops have already been there and questioned all the staff

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2008, 17:29
i'm sure a ton of cops have already been there and questioned all the staffAs well as the staff of every business along the trail, any hikers they have been able to locate and anyone living near the trail. What might be a good idea - and one that may not occur to police - would be to check the shelter registers on both sides of Blood Mountain. As cold,wet and windy as it has been, it is a virual certainity this person stayed in a shelter in the area if he was actually hiking - I'm sure the police have gone over the one atop Blood mountain thoroughly, but they may not think to look at the other registers.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 17:34
As well as the staff of every business along the trail, any hikers they have been able to locate and anyone living near the trail. What might be a good idea - and one that may not occur to police - would be to check the shelter registers on both sides of Blood Mountain. As cold,wet and windy as it has been, it is a virual certainity this person stayed in a shelter in the area if he was actually hiking - I'm sure the police have gone over the one atop Blood mountain thoroughly, but they may not think to look at the other registers.

i'm sure winton, pirate and the rest of the staff have helped investigators with all the info as far as registers and such. there's lots of former AT hikers living in that area who know how the grapevine works

Kirby
01-03-2008, 17:36
As well as the staff of every business along the trail, any hikers they have been able to locate and anyone living near the trail. What might be a good idea - and one that may not occur to police - would be to check the shelter registers on both sides of Blood Mountain. As cold,wet and windy as it has been, it is a virual certainity this person stayed in a shelter in the area if he was actually hiking - I'm sure the police have gone over the one atop Blood mountain thoroughly, but they may not think to look at the other registers.

Are you referring to the Blood Mountain Shelter one? Just curious.

It would be smart to comb the registry, I know I signed all the registry's when I went through the wilderness this summer, but that was because my dad wanted to make SAR's life easiler if I went missing(I didn't by the way).

This is a very disturbing case, and the man with the police batallion is quite scary as well. I hope this all turns out OK in the end.

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2008, 17:43
i'm sure winton, pirate and the rest of the staff have helped investigators with all the info as far as registers and such. there's lots of former AT hikers living in that area who know how the grapevine worksThat great to hear.

Kirby
01-03-2008, 17:45
i'm sure winton, pirate and the rest of the staff have helped investigators with all the info as far as registers and such. there's lots of former AT hikers living in that area who know how the grapevine works

Posted after this was posted, thanks Wolf.

Kirby

karo
01-03-2008, 17:48
An interview with 2 people about this investigation on Headline News at 5pm Eastern.

scope
01-03-2008, 17:49
Are you referring to the Blood Mountain Shelter one? Just curious.

It would be smart to comb the registry, I know I signed all the registry's when I went through the wilderness this summer, but that was because my dad wanted to make SAR's life easiler if I went missing(I didn't by the way).

This is a very disturbing case, and the man with the police batallion is quite scary as well. I hope this all turns out OK in the end.

Kirby

I assume she meant Woods Hole shelter which is the one most hikers would stay at near Blood Mt.

Israel
01-03-2008, 17:49
i didn't see this story on the internet until a few minutes ago over on fox news. This is so disturbing. I can't count the number of times I've hiked up from the same parking lot by myself and with my wife, etc. I am praying and praying and praying they find her ASAP and whoever is responsible if that is the case. Timing could not be worse to spend the night on the mountain- coldest nights in the last year have been the nights since the 1st of the year.
Praying for a safe return....

Tony
01-03-2008, 17:53
I know that this has probably crossed the minds of some. I know that some are taught that if you are injured or lost (or both) that you stay put and wait for searchers to find you. Just a thought, could it be possible that she may have slipped or fell, got injured and was found by someone on the trail and they kept to the sit tight and wait for help theory? Again, just a thought. It's a plausable thought that I thought I would add to the growing lists of what if's. Trying to stay positive in thought here. Prayers going out from me and mine to everyone involved.

leeki pole
01-03-2008, 18:06
I know that this has probably crossed the minds of some. I know that some are taught that if you are injured or lost (or both) that you stay put and wait for searchers to find you. Just a thought, could it be possible that she may have slipped or fell, got injured and was found by someone on the trail and they kept to the sit tight and wait for help theory? Again, just a thought. It's a plausable thought that I thought I would add to the growing lists of what if's. Trying to stay positive in thought here. Prayers going out from me and mine to everyone involved.
Yep, I thought of that as well. I hope she has a bag and some kind of shelter, being from Colorado she probably knows to carry them in winter hiking conditions. Prayers go out from here to everybody as well.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 18:09
Yep, I thought of that as well. I hope she has a bag and some kind of shelter, being from Colorado she probably knows to carry them in winter hiking conditions. Prayers go out from here to everybody as well.From what I have read, she was just out dayhiking. Very unlikely that she would have had a sleeping and a tent with her on a dayhike...

Waterbuffalo
01-03-2008, 18:11
I just saw the 5pm atlanta news
Officials released information about a person-of-interest Thursday. They described the person as a white male, in his 50s-60s, very haggard looking with bad teeth. He was wearing a yellow jacket and carrying a very large backpack. They also say he had a dark, reddish-colored retriever named Danny.
I may go up in the morning

doggiebag
01-03-2008, 18:15
In these temps. they would have needed to start a fire. At a certain point without starting a fire the only way you're staying warm is through physical activity. That only can last until the body is exhausted. Then it needs food and shelter to recharge. Without starting a fire heat has to be generated at the cellular level - burning calories - food. IMHO. Winter survival skills are needed for these conditions. It's hard to stay out there without an external heat source or resupplies.

Waterbuffalo
01-03-2008, 18:22
it was low teens to single digits up there last night alone

leeki pole
01-03-2008, 18:22
From what I have read, she was just out dayhiking. Very unlikely that she would have had a sleeping and a tent with her on a dayhike...
Understood, sir, but would you venture out with lows in the teens and wind chill around zero F without them? I wouldn't, and I hope and pray she did.

ChinMusic
01-03-2008, 18:31
Understood, sir, but would you venture out with lows in the teens and wind chill around zero F without them? I wouldn't, and I hope and pray she did.
I will carry a sleeping bag (and "space blanket") with me for dayhikes under severe conditions, esp if I know I will be outside of cell coverage. One can get real cold real fast if you are forced to stop (bad fall, etc). I have not read what she might have been carrying. I did read that she was experienced.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 18:40
Understood, sir, but would you venture out with lows in the teens and wind chill around zero F without them? I wouldn't, and I hope and pray she did.For a short dayhike, on a trail I knew? Sure.

scope
01-03-2008, 18:44

To Blood, yes. Not only is it a short hike, but well-populated enough that you could reasonably expect to get help if you're in trouble from a turned ankle, etc. I'm sure it didn't have the normal day hiking crowd that day, but there were obviously enough hikers to give a description of this POI.

Plus, when she left on the first, it was a relatively nice day in the high 30s before the late afternoon.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 18:53
Just saw the slideshow on CNN. Not a speck of snow on the ground, at least at the Vogel park command post. Good and bad. No tracks to follow. But she has a better chance of staying dry if she's not lying in snow...

Lugnut
01-03-2008, 19:02

Report now says the dog's name is Dandy, not Danny. Might help your search.

Edit: Never mind. Didn't notice post 202.

SawnieRobertson
01-03-2008, 19:03
Two things come to my mind.

First, I read on CNN.COM that she and her dog as well as "poi" and "Dandy" went on the Freeman Trail. Its beauty is partly because of its hidden quality. It is darker, more peaceful, as well as, I think, less traveled. That can translate to scary.

The other thought is about the couple in their late 70s/early 80s that became victims of foul play not all that many weeks ago. It seems as though there was also some interest in a white vehicle, but I think it was a white pickup. How far away from Blood Mountain did that happen?

I wonder if this young woman had a history of being too trusting, and I wonder why the sheriff's department keeps saying that there is no evidence of foul play.--Kinnickinic

karo
01-03-2008, 19:04
According to her roommate, she did NOT bring her winter bag. I assume she meant her sleeping bag.

RITBlake
01-03-2008, 19:15
Just saw the slideshow on CNN. Not a speck of snow on the ground, at least at the Vogel park command post. Good and bad. No tracks to follow. But she has a better chance of staying dry if she's not lying in snow...

I poked around on CNN but couldn't find said slideshow, link?

Hikerhead
01-03-2008, 19:16
and I wonder why the sheriff's department keeps saying that there is no evidence of foul play.--Kinnickinic
No body, no blood=no evidence. That's my guess.

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 19:16
The other thought is about the couple in their late 70s/early 80s that became victims of foul play not all that many weeks ago. It seems as though there was also some interest in a white vehicle, but I think it was a white pickup. How far away from Blood Mountain did that happen?
I think that was in North Carolina. Not sure how far, maybe a day's drive?

They were an older couple, had an AT sticker on their vehicle. And yeah, what did happen there? Last news I read, I think, was that they had found one body...can't recall now.

Anyone know?

Creepy to think they could be related...

SawnieRobertson
01-03-2008, 19:17
A Prayer For The Missing

O, Blessed Mother and St Joseph,
you searched when your Son Jesus
disappeared when he was twelve.
You would not give up
until he was found.
You know the pain of having someone missing,
and the joy of finding them,
as you found your son.
Help those who are searching now,
to find the answers to their questions,
and an end to their searching.
Inspire people to be vigilant,
so that their eyes and ears
may see and hear news that will bring hope.
Comfort those who feel lonely and sad
because the one they love has vanished.
Be with them in the storm
and guide them in their efforts.
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen

Thanks.--Kinnickinic

Flotsam
01-03-2008, 19:18
I poked around on CNN but couldn't find said slideshow, link?Sorry, it was not CNN, it was here:
http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/metro/gwinnett/0103missing/

Sorry about that.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2008, 19:20

I wanted to say that it nice to see that even people who don't know Meredith are wanting to get involved in her rescue. I have ready many other post where people are extremly negative and unforgiving torwards the situation...

Hi Twisted,

If any posts here bordered on over-speculative in a negative sense, I'm sure they weren't intended that way. I, for one, "think out loud" a lot, and sometimes confront reality and situations in a way that is too straight forward for some. Hiker rescues, hiking alone, trail safety, and trail crime, etc are all very common and hotly debated topics here on WB, so it is only natural that we would discuss this at length and offer up a lot of opinions.

I know that as each passing hour goes by that her chances grow slimmer and slimmer for survival but all we can do is pray that she is returned safe and sound.

With the 48 hour window over, neither scenario, lost/injured in woods in cold conditions or abducted, is particularly good. My own daughter went missing last year for a much shorter length of time. We eventually tracked her down safe-and-sound with the aid of her friends, local, and state police, but as parents the only way I can descibe it is that we were sick over it at the time.

I don't agree with wait times on "missing person" status especially for adults when their normal behavior makes their absense suspicious. If there is any chance - not proof - there is foul play law enforcement resources should be mobilized ASAP.

FWIW, and I'm not being cold-hearted, just analytical, I think Meredith did make a few mistakes:

1-hiking alone (and unfortunately, especially as a young female, and canine companions don't qualify)
2-not leaving a "return" time or contact time when exceeded to notify S&R agencies
3-leaving trailhead without suitable gear for conditions. This happens up here in the Whites a lot. Day hikers get stranded overnight, due to getting lost or injured, without proper gear to survive a night on the mountain.

But don't misunderstand, I DON'T think whatever happened is her fault. People don't "deserve it" because they make mistakes. People simply make mistakes and take safety for granted, and 99.9% of the time nothing bad happens, which re-inforces that behavior. Our reminders are unfortunately usually very unpleasant.

My heart goes out to Meredith, her family, and friends. I sincerely hope she is found soon.

Trail_hound
01-03-2008, 19:30
I think that was in North Carolina. Not sure how far, maybe a day's drive?

They were an older couple, had an AT sticker on their vehicle. And yeah, what did happen there? Last news I read, I think, was that they had found one body...can't recall now.

Anyone know?

Creepy to think they could be related...

Hi All: I just registered today solely because I wanted to read what was going on about this tragic case on this forum. I post over on Backpacker occasionally and thought the info would be better here. I hate I had to register for this reason. The couple that disappeared back in late fall was in Transylvania County NC. Not really close but not that far way either. I hope they find this girl. Its sad to know we cant escape tradgedy even in the places we go to try to escape it all. Pray for her...

StarLyte
01-03-2008, 19:32
Hikerhead - did you pocketmail Stumpknocker?

(I didn't thinking everyone was already doing it)

malamute
01-03-2008, 19:33
Police name Person Of Interest:

Police say they want to talk to Gary Michael Hilton about missing hiker Meredith Emerson. See below for pic

Mercy
01-03-2008, 19:34
Hi all.

Don't remember seeing this website posted here yet.

It has links to the local media outlets' coverage.

FWIW, I figure there's a lot of us who hike alone, and don't always leave a SAR plan, especially on day hikes we're well familiar with in areas that are frequented by others.

cbserafin7
I live in Sautee Nacoochee (Near Helen) just heard about the missing hiker and the police looking for a person of interest.
Boy I hope that she is found alive. Those who are leaving March 1st. or earlier. Do not hike alone until this "person of interest" is found.
indygirl

Flotsam
The couple that disappeared back in late fall was in Transylvania County NC. Not really close but not that far way either.
Yeah, found a recent article. They were definately victims of foul play:
http://www.wyff4.com/news/14585002/detail.html?rss=gs&psp=news

Trail_hound
01-03-2008, 19:36
Here is the link to the couple in NC if anyone wants to read it. Its actually not far at all as the crow flies.

http://fox61tv.com/first/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2507&Itemid=39

Hikerhead
01-03-2008, 19:37
Hikerhead - did you pocketmail Stumpknocker?

(I didn't thinking everyone was already doing it)

Yes, last night when we thought it was just a case of a lost hiker. He was at Josh and Leah's last night. Emailed me back that they would be hiking across Blood Mtn today. I'm waiting for a TJ update.

Arundodonax
01-03-2008, 19:39
Local police have named the POI-Gary Michael Hilton of Dekalb County GA.

Hikerhead
01-03-2008, 19:45
Well, we have a name and where the POI lives. Any chance that he could be a WB member?

Nest
01-03-2008, 20:00
Don't know if I was much help, but I just called the Unicoi Sheriff. I was hiking south that weekend for the new years eve bash on springer, and passed 5 teenagers from Mississippi who were gonna spend new years eve at Blood Mtn Shelter. Chances are they would be drinknig, so would probably wake up late. Hopefully they can track down these kids because there is a good chance they would have woken up late enough to hike by the missing girl and anyone else in the area at the time. I know it wasn't a lot of good info, but I figure everything helps.

Hikerhead
01-03-2008, 20:01
Here is the link to the couple in NC if anyone wants to read it. Its actually not far at all as the crow flies.

http://fox61tv.com/first/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2507&Itemid=39

From the link above....."Although his mother's body was discovered hours away in Brevard North Carolina, Bryant is searching the woods near Ducktown. An ATM there at the People's Bank may have captured a picture of the killer. On October 22, at around 7:30 p.m., someone walked up to the ATM in a yellow hooded rain slicker and used the couples bank card to withdraw $300. The bank's surveillance cameras show a man walking up to the machine, and also captured a tight, chest-height shot of the person at the ATM."

This POI was wearing yellow. A coincedence perhaps/probably.