PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Wish List

Former Easy
12-22-2003, 00:43
For the kid in us all, what's the most relevant item of hiking gear you would like to see under the virtual Christmas tree?

I defiantly need a Black Diamond headlamp, I think the Petzels don't hold a candle to the Diamond

attroll
12-22-2003, 01:45
I am not picky. I would like to see a soda can stove that works under my tree. I have tried making them on three occasions with no success.

steve hiker
12-22-2003, 03:18
I wanna win the lotto and have any woman I want.

Get your money for nothing
and your chicks for free
I want my
I want my own teepee
..money for nothing
...easy easy chicks for free

Former Easy
12-22-2003, 05:35
I wanna win the lotto and have any woman I want.

Get your money for nothing
and your chicks for free
I want my
I want my own teepee
..money for nothing
...easy easy chicks for free

Jumble Jowls

You don't need to win the lottery to get your chicks for free. But if you wish I will send you my used Petzel. That way you will be able to see what kinda chicks you'll get for free.

Good luck, Jumble Jowls were pulling for ya man, go get her big guy ......

tribes
12-22-2003, 08:26
I'll take a nice down parka with a dwr finish on it. I am not too picky so just about any will do :D

Lilred
12-22-2003, 10:45
I am not picky. I would like to see a soda can stove that works under my tree. I have tried making them on three occasions with no success.

ATTROLL I heard Santa has an extra one in his sack. If you'd email me your address, I'll make sure he gets your request...... ;)

Santa already brought me my frogg toggs. Now I'm wishin for REI's new tent called the Roadster.

Rain Man
12-22-2003, 11:30
... Now I'm wishin for REI's new tent called the Roadster.

Mary,

I slept in my REI Roadster tent last night in the back yard just for fun!!! But I won't say "nani, nani, boo, boo!" LOL It's a neat little tent. Did I say "little"?!

Here's hoping you've been a very good girl this year and St. Mick (not St. Nick) knows it. :)

Rain Man

NOTE TO READERS: "Mick" is Lilredma's adoring hubby. A nice fellow!!! (You can tell him I said so, Mary.) :)

Matt Pincham
12-23-2003, 06:38
Hey Former Easy,

I'm hoping Santa (aka my sister) has got me a Black Diamond.
I'm hoping Santa (aka my brother) has bought my Leki hiking poles.
I'm hoping Santa (aka Mum and Dad) have bought my backpack.
I'm hoping Santa (aka my Girlfriend) has bought my Salomon Boots.

Roll on March 2004 :D

On a serious note, the Black Diamond I'm getting is damned powerful for such a little lamp. Can't remember it's exact name but it has 4 LED's and a burn time of approx 100 hours. Lovely :)

Merry Christmas

Former Easy
12-23-2003, 07:16
Hey Former Easy,

On a serious note, the Black Diamond I'm getting is damned powerful for such a little lamp. Can't remember it's exact name but it has 4 LED's and a burn time of approx 100 hours. Lovely :)

Merry Christmas

Yeah those Black Diamonds are a must have, there candle power is awesome for such a small product. I need something I can night hike with, and the Petzel just didn't cut it, I tried hiking twice in the wee hours of the morning with the Petzel and almost broke my neck. So I didn't night hike again. I'd like to do alot more night hiking next trip, or at least start hiking a 3am at times. When your out in the woods and go to bed at 7pm you can only sleep so long. I usaully don't sleep more than 6 to 7 hours a day and alot of the time especialy at home just take two 3 hour or so naps a day.

Merry Christmas to all!

Mountain climber
12-23-2003, 08:00
Yeah those Black Diamonds are a must have, there candle power is awesome for such a small product. I need something I can night hike with, and the Petzel just didn't cut it, I tried hiking twice in the wee hours of the morning with the Petzel and almost broke my neck. So I didn't night hike again. I'd like to do alot more night hiking next trip, or at least start hiking a 3am at times. When your out in the woods and go to bed at 7pm you can only sleep so long. I usaully don't sleep more than 6 to 7 hours a day and alot of the time especialy at home just take two 3 hour or so naps a day.

Merry Christmas to all!

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47671181&parent_category_rn=4500596

I really like this light; it will give 4 hours of regular light and 70 hours with the 2 LEDs. I have looked around at several lights and I find this duel light the best of both worlds. I tried a petzel while on Blood Mountain and when coming down I lost the trail two times because the light would not shine farther enough to see the blaze painted on the rocks. Spent around 30 extra minutes each time finding the blazes.
This light has the extra power when you need it. You might loose 20 hours of burn time on the LED's but the extra power is well worth it when looking for something. :-? (Food for thought.)

Matt Pincham
12-23-2003, 09:21
Black Diamond MoonLight Pro (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47671182&parent_category_rn=10075628)

The above link is the lamp I've got. It's V bright and I'm looking forward to hiking a couple of nights with it.

I was considering the one you've got Mountain Climber but opted for this one due to the longer battery life.

Chappy
12-25-2003, 20:01
When my wife asked what she could send me for Christmas I told her any backpacking gear would be great. She sent me a gift certificate to Campmor's. Imagine my surprise when I tried to order on-line and found out I have to order by mail or at the store. So, I'll just have to wait for their catalog or...I could wait and visit the store in 05 when I'm on my thru hike!

cabalot
12-26-2003, 01:02
i got a thermarest guidelight full lenght from my bro and his wife, an olympus 400 dig cam from mom and dad, and grandma gave me cash, that osprey pack is in sight now.

Bearbait
12-26-2003, 01:13
Santa was very good to me. I got a Kelty Vortex 2 tent and a MSR hiker stove. The only thing left on my wish list a pair of gaiters to keep the junk out of my boots.

attroll
12-26-2003, 01:50
I got a food saver the type that you can vacuum seal things in. I really don't need anything else that I can think of believe it or not. My hike is scedualed for the year 2010 and I have everything I need now that I can think of.

Former Easy
12-26-2003, 02:36
I got a $250 (everyone pitched in) gift certificate to Bass Pro Shops which is good since they sell a little of something for most my outdoor interests. I also got a new Lodge cast iron skillet which I'm seasoning in the oven with Crisco right now. No I don't take the skillet hiking with me LOL ......... its for cooking over the fire while car camping.

Lilred
12-26-2003, 11:49
Santa came through for me too. My frogg toggs came a week early, and Leki poles were under the tree. :D

chief
12-26-2003, 14:30
i got the black diamond. light and brite, just what i wanted.

screwysquirrel
01-04-2004, 01:15
Easy, I hope you don't get a Diamond light and go night hiking, as the night hikers are one of the worst things on the trail when they come barging, banging clanging ,cussing and shining that damn light at 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning and not really being considerate of anybody else in the shelter. When you have hiked all daylong and really want a few hours of sleep, then those clowns come in, it really gets ya kinda P.O., I met quite a few of those considerate people last year between Waynesboro and Pine Grove.

Kerosene
01-04-2004, 18:04
My family knows better than to try to pick out gear for me, so I got an official ATC calendar from my daughter and the coffee table book The Appalachian Trail: Calling Me Back to the Hills (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156579382X/qid=1073253723/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0052236-3678451?v=glance&s=books) by Earl Shaffer.