PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Question

sawwhetowl
12-22-2003, 01:09
Has anyone used the two layer hammock sold by Brigade Quartermaster ? It looks interesting. The idea of a secure place for my sleeping pad sounds good. Another hammock that I'd like some feedback on is the Amazonas Moskito traveler. I wonder how reliable the zipper is?
thanks,
Hank

attroll
12-22-2003, 01:25
Never heard of it. Is there a web site for this hammock?

sawwhetowl
12-22-2003, 01:44
Yeah, The Moskito is at the rei.com and several others, and the Brigade is actually called the "twin layer tropical hammock" see it at http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=5991&M5COPY%2Ectx=10303&M5%2Ectx=10303&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Bivouac%20%2D%20Sleeping%20Bags%2C %20Shelters%2C%20Modular%20Sleep%20Systems%2C%20Bi vy%20Bags&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=hammock&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam

Youngblood
12-22-2003, 07:57
Has anyone used the two layer hammock sold by Brigade Quartermaster ? It looks interesting. The idea of a secure place for my sleeping pad sounds good. Another hammock that I'd like some feedback on is the Amazonas Moskito traveler. I wonder how reliable the zipper is?
thanks,
Hank

I have used both of them in my backyard, but I didn't take either one on a backpacking trip. I agree that they both look interesting, but neither one is a complete backpacking hammock system. They don't cost much and basically 'you get what you pay for'. However, the twin-layer hammock from Brigade Quartermaster did inspire me to make my own two-layer version of a Speer Hammock, because, as you mentioned, it does tend to hold the sleeping pad in place. I found that it also allows you to get in/out of the hammock without the classic wrestling match with the sleeping pad.

The twin-layer: Too small for me (6 ft), both in length and width. Looked like the sewing would eventually fail where the rope/webbing attachment loop is formed. Attachment ropes/webbing are bad news, the knot melts on themself and will not untie. No bug net or tarp.

The Moskito traveler: Uses about a dozen small cords to shape hammock on both ends. These tend to tangle and also provide a shape that does not allow a flat lay, ie, it keeps you in a banana shape. The mosquitto netting is a larger weave than classic no-see-um netting; this is good for ventilation but might be a problem with no-see-um's. No tarp or attachment ropes.

Hope this helps. They will give you an idea of what a backpacking hammock can be.

Oh yeah, about the zipper... I didn't use it long enough to have a comment. I bought it from REI and after trying to sleep in it in my backyard, I returned it.

Youngblood

peter_pan
01-15-2004, 09:22
Two years ago i made the equivelent of the moskito by taking the amazonia hammock by byer of maine and sewining a flat of noseeum on the top with a loop to hold it up and velcro on both sides. It worked well. It does lay as flat as a hennessy, if you lay on the diagonal, as in the hennessy. The cords do tangle . This is easily fixed by adding a small cabiner on each end and putting a loop in the ends of you hammock rope. Generally the end twists thru the hammock strings and by removing the cabiner, untwisting and reclipping it is readily remedied in a few seconds. This is a good low bucks answer but the hennessy is just easier, more secure, and tip free.