PDA

View Full Version : Spot

kayak karl
01-03-2008, 05:14
http://www.rei.com/product/766529?cm_mmc=ps_google-_-Category%20-%20Camp%2fHike-_-TTO_Brand_SPOT-_-Spot
has any one tried this. with hikers and mountian climbers lost it seems like a good idea and the price is right.

Franco
01-03-2008, 06:24
The following is a reply from one of the guys at Spot, addressing some of the FAQ.

I saw the commentary here and thought it would be worth clearing up how SPOT works. SPOT gets a GPS fix using an onboard GPS chip. This is a fast-acquisition G3 GPS chip -- in most cases only needs a second to get a fix, particularly if you've already turned it on and sent a test message in the area you will be using it. SPOT sends the coordinates and a status indicator (911, Help, or OK) to the right destination. Communications are outbound only -- using the highly reliable and robust Globalstar Simplex data network. (For the more technical - this is the L-band, not S-band portion of the Globalstar Network)

The Globalstar constellation of 40 satellites is fully operational and stable in supporting the Globalstar Simplex data network. The Globalstar Simplex data network has a proven 99.4% reliability while processing over 6 million messages a month – the equivalent of 2.3 messages per second. It has been operational for several years sending messages for industrial and governmental customers.

The neat part for me is the ability to let family or friends know where you are and that you are OK. The other feature that can be useful is the face –saving “I am not lost but come and get me because I don’t know where I am” signal. This is the non emergency button that lets your family know that you need help but don’t want or need an helicopter and a SAR platoon to come and get you. So far I have only seen a couple of users comments, both mostly positive. A Google search will provably find more.

Don’t forget that there is a $99 yearly fee with this one. (or $9.95 per month)