PDA

View Full Version : Car to Car Hiking - notes on windshield

insideragp
12-22-2003, 09:36
Any advice on what type of info (if any) to leave on a note on the dashboard? We (wife & I) have been hiking car to car about 6-13 miles depending on where we can dump the cars. Should we leave a note at all? We haven't left a car overnight yet, just all day stuff.

Thanks!

2Ply
12-22-2003, 09:54
In the 20+ years of hiking here in Ga my truck has only been broken into 1 time, and every car at the trail head had a smashed out window and something missing that day. I think that by having nothing left in the car to take discurages a break in. Leaving a note seems to let someone know you wont be around and gives them plenty of time to see what might be worth taking.Just a thought. :-?

RagingHampster
12-22-2003, 10:01
Empty out your vehicle, and lock valuables out of sight. Lock your doors, and don't leave a note.

An alternative is to leave a bunch of those fake vomit piles on the front seat and floor. Then mix tooth paste and cream corn and splatter bits of it on the inside of the windshield. Make sure you have clean-wipes in the glove-compartment... :p

TJ aka Teej
12-22-2003, 10:27
Any advice on what type of info (if any) to leave on a note on the dashboard?Yup. leave a note:
"Billy Bob and June Bug,
Me and Bubba will be right back, we're a-running the dogs. If'n you aint seen no police, just fire some shots into the air when you git here with the beer and ammo,
Momma" :D

hungryhowie
12-22-2003, 11:04
Any advice on what type of info (if any) to leave on a note on the dashboard? We (wife & I) have been hiking car to car about 6-13 miles depending on where we can dump the cars. Should we leave a note at all? We haven't left a car overnight yet, just all day stuff.

Thanks!

Leaving a letter saying that you'll be gone all day is an invitiation for a break-in. Tell your family or friends where you'll be and when you'll be back.

I've never had a car broken into (knock on wood), and I try to discourage it as much as possible by leaving nothing in the car except for strategically placed refuse in the front and back seats that are clearly not covering anything.

If you're going to leave anything, the hillbilly tact is worth a shot...

-Howie

Tater
12-23-2003, 17:57
I've heard it's best to leave your doors UNlocked, to save your windows from a smash-in. Of course, don't leave anything valuable inside, either.

The Solemates
12-23-2003, 22:02
Someone tried to steal our car while we were hiking the Bartram Trail in GA/NC last year. Luckily, something spooked them in time so they left before getting it. The only problem was that they left the car in the middle of the road, blocking anyone from getting around it. A local resident called the police, who had to come tow it. Much to our surprise after hiking a week, we came out to find no car and evidence of it being stolen.

After MUCH running around and hitch-hiking, we finally made it back to our car. We had minor damage to the rear taillights, almost as if some drunk had done a hit and run. The police never found a reason for all of this. We had no valuables visible inside the car. Some people are just idiots. Since then, I have not left a note. Just a chance you take I guess. Of course, parking it along a major road is smart. We had left ours out in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road. If you did write a note, I would say something like "Bob: dropped my tent, gone up the trail to find it. Be back in an hour. Just meet me at the restaurant like we had planned."

Skyline
12-23-2003, 23:00
Empty out your vehicle, and lock valuables out of sight. Lock your doors, and don't leave a note.

An alternative is to leave a bunch of those fake vomit piles on the front seat and floor. Then mix tooth paste and cream corn and splatter bits of it on the inside of the windshield. Make sure you have clean-wipes in the glove-compartment... :p

The fake vomit is a cool idea, might be effective. But wouldn't the toothpaste/cream corn attract bears and other four-legged critters that would do as much (more?) damage than two-legged ones? At least in areas with lots of bears?

sp00ky
12-23-2003, 23:37
Here's what I do and it has worked so far...

Drive a crappy car :) I drive a 1991 Chev. Corsica with major rust spots, missing paint, and the gas cap cover broken off.

No one in their right mind would think anything would be of value in there!

Besides even if they do break in, they would have to know the secret combination of gear shift position in park, but pulled back as hard as you can, windshield wiper set on intermittant, and radio set to AM 1230, otherwise it won't start.

Scott :)

slowroller
12-24-2003, 00:26
spOOky I think you got the right idea, I never have had my old work truck broken into......

Blue Jay
12-24-2003, 08:35
Spooky, you have exactly the right answer.

insideragp
12-27-2003, 10:20
Our 94 Mercury Villager Van with 140K miles on it is a pretty good ride in that respect. Not easy to hide stuff but then again, we are carrying everything we brought with us except empty coffee cups so no valuables visible.

Problem is the van is dying so it's time for some new wheels. Wife keeps coming back to the XTerra but she's not thrilled with the gas mileage. I'd like an old truck that I could put a plow on for fun. I snowblow the neighborhood (guess that makes me the neighborhood angel) and need to pick up compost/mulch so a truck would be better. You should see the funny looks I get when the whole van is full of mulch up to about midwindow in the back. Big 8HP Snowblower JUST fits in the back to go help my wuss brother do his place.

Also, we go car to car so there's another car involved. No problems so far covering all of Jersey this year in 7 day hikes with 2 cars so 14 potential episodes.

Thanks,

AG

Theo
01-09-2004, 19:10
Yup. leave a note:
"Billy Bob and June Bug,
Me and Bubba will be right back, we're a-running the dogs. If'n you aint seen no police, just fire some shots into the air when you git here with the beer and ammo,
Momma" :D
I think I'd follow Teej's lead. My way of think'in.

Nightwalker
01-09-2004, 19:46
Someone tried to steal our car while we were hiking the Bartram Trail in GA/NC last year.

Did you park at Burrel's Ford? Next time you use that trail, try parking at the Burrel's Ford Campground and walk downhill 4/10 of a mile. That lot usually has more than one car in it, and a ranger visits it every day.

Frank

azchipka
02-11-2004, 03:49
DO NOT LEAVE A NOTE OF ANY KIND. THIS IS JUST ASKING FOR BREAK IN.

I would highly suggest you do the following to ensure you car is not impounded though. Contact the local police department, NPS, and Forest Service for the location you will be leaving your car and inform them of when you plan on arriving at your car and how long it will be there, etc......

I say because I had two cars impounded last year during the summer after the car was left for more then 3 weeks, only to find the owners where on a extended trip in the back country, they even had permits but never thought to tell us they where leaving a car parked, and since it was not registered to the permit holder or one of his family members we had it hauled away. They ended up with a $853 bill awaiting them when they returned for storage fees.

Just my 2 cents