PDA

View Full Version : Using GPS on the AT

rie
01-03-2008, 11:01
i'm curious if anyone has thru-hiked with a GPS system before instead of or in conjunction with paper maps. i'm planning on doing the AT this spring and got a sweet gift from my brothers, but i'm not sure which maps to upload to it from the AT website. any thoughts?

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 11:05
suppose to be a blind guy hikin' the AT this year by himself with a GPS

jersey joe
01-03-2008, 11:15
A blind guy hiking by himself doesn't sound so promising. Unless the GPS beeps when he walks near cliffs.

Toolshed
01-03-2008, 11:17
i'm curious if anyone has thru-hiked with a GPS system before instead of or in conjunction with paper maps. i'm planning on doing the AT this spring and got a sweet gift from my brothers, but i'm not sure which maps to upload to it from the AT website. any thoughts?
I don't think you can upload any maps to it from any AT website. If it is a Garmin GPS, you need Topo or Topo 2008 in order to upload a mapset. witherway, I usually take my GPS with me, but only as a toy. I always carry maps - Gives me a much broader pespective of where I am as well as the outlying/surrounding terrain.
The AT does show up on my Garmin Maps, but it's not like I need to look at the GPS while following blazes (nor could I, without walking into a tree)

Shiraz-mataz
01-03-2008, 11:19
I'm not a thru-hiker but have used a GPS on two recent section hikes. As a geocacher it's almost a requirement but I also had shelter coordinates and other landmarks loaded for the hikes. My GPSr is an ooooold yellow Etrex so it has no fancy-schmancy mapping software - only the waypoints. For its weight I count it as a somewhat useful tool for those "where the heck are we" moments when you may have taken too many steps off the trail.

doggiebag
01-03-2008, 11:26
I carried my GPS from Neels Gap to the Whites. There were days when I rarely used it ... but on the occasions that it was needed - it was worth the weight. One instance was when I had to bushwhack to avoid a swollen river (Gale River) in the Whites - I wouldn't have been able to make it to a road easily unless I had that toy. YMMV. Uploading maps will require you to purchase the software - at least with regards to my Garmin.

sixhusbands
01-03-2008, 11:32
A blind guy by the name of Bill Irwin did hike the entire AT without a GPS. He had his dog Orient and a cassette player, which his support team discribed the upcoming trail . He read the trail signs with his fingures ( try that one sometime) and his dog was believed to have the ability to distinguish the white blaze from the other colored blazes. He did get lost a few times and he fell over 4000 times , but he made it! In his book, Blind Courage he speaks of the many trail angels that helped him find his way.

I think a GPS is not necessary on the AT , as it is very well maintained and most hikers are willing to help you find your way.

WalkingStick75
01-03-2008, 11:42
I used a Garming 60csx in the wilderness not because a GPS is "needed" on the AT but hopefully I will be able to do some hiking in the Alps this year with my son and wanted to use it there to document the trip and it worked out very nice.

On a side note you should check out "Jet Photo" software. With this software you can link your digital photos with your GPS and later using google maps not only show your track but where a picture was taken on the map.

rie
01-03-2008, 11:43
do you remember what software you bought? the whole GPS mapset stuff is pretty new to me and my little thing has 8MB of space, and i'd be bummed if i filled the damn thing up with a mapset that wasn't useful

Midway Sam
01-03-2008, 11:48
I once downloaded a section of the AT from Dicks Creek Gap to Neels Gap to my GPSr and used it IN CONJUNCTION WITH my paper maps. I never rely 100% on an item that requires batteries. It took me a lot of patience and a lot of Googling and downloading of files and tools to convert the widely available "AT Centerline" Google Earth file to a GPX file. In order to get it to fit into my GPSr's memory I had to massively whittle down the track.

It wan an interesting exercise and it was sorta helpful, but at the end of the day I probably won't ever go to the effort again. The "AT Centerline" is at best a "good guess" as to the location of the trail and is already outdated. The only real help was that I was able to roughly identify where I was based on my location on the "shape" of the GPS track. ie if the GPSr indicated that I was in the middle of a large lefthand bend that was right after a series of small bends, I could translate that onto my paper map and deduce BASICALLY where I was for the day. Of course, if I would have paid more attention to the trail and less attention to my GPSr, I coulda figured that out on my own based on remembering elevation changes, turns, landmarks, etc.

My GPSr now stays at home on my AT adventures.

doggiebag
01-03-2008, 11:48
do you remember what software you bought? the whole GPS mapset stuff is pretty new to me and my little thing has 8MB of space, and i'd be bummed if i filled the damn thing up with a mapset that wasn't useful
In my case the MapSource - United States Topo worked well with the Garmin 60CSX. It showed the AT, water sources ... some shelters and all the needed contour lines to give you a good birdseye view of your immediate terrain.

Cuffs
01-03-2008, 11:56
I just upgraded (again) to a 60csx. As of right now I plan on carrying mine for a thru, but not as a navigational aid, but for caching! i wont spend too much time on the hunt, but it will be a nice diversion. (anyone want to buy a used 76cs?)

The Old Fhart
01-03-2008, 12:08
Rie-"the whole GPS mapset stuff is pretty new to me and my little thing has 8MB of space, and i'd be bummed if i filled the damn thing up with a mapset that wasn't useful"
With the Garmin 60CSx that I have it would take under 100Mb to store the entire A.T. and some of the surrounding area as topo maps. (I have a 2Gb card in my 60CSx storing street routing and topo maps for the eastern part of the U.S. and that takes about 1Gb.) The Etrex is small and lightweight but quite limited as a GPS receiver. The newer ones are reported to have better sensitivity than the old ones but using one in the woods is iffy at best. The 60CSx works well without losing lock even under heavy cover.

There is some GPS data (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851255/k.4226/Appalachian_Trail_GIS_and_GPS_Data.htm) (like centerline and shelter location) that you can download from the ATC but most of that is quite dated. As much as I use a GPS for geocaching (2900 finds) I personally don't think a GPS should be used instead of maps on the A.T. or is it practical. If you want to take a GPS in addition to map and compass, that would be somewhat useful, but still not necessary.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 12:17
I wouldn't carry one on the AT, but other trails. like the Pinhoti or the BMT where it would be conveinent to cache a food resupply, that would make it worth carrying IMO.

Cuffs
01-03-2008, 12:20
The Pinhoti is so well marked now-a-days its not even really necessary there now. This is specific to the AL portion of the Pinhoti, I cant speak for GA.

ARambler
01-03-2008, 12:58
Last May at Trail Days, I met BP who was finishing a 2 year hike of collecting gps data of the AT for Backpacker Mag. I haven't seen it posted. I'm not sure he was using the latest gps chip, so it may already be obsolete or too noisy to post. Anyone else heard about BP?

I'm not interested in using a gps on the AT (the cdt is a different story.) In '07 I saw a couple of geo-cachers who were looking for a plane wreckage. They said it was due north. I said the lead guy was drifting a little left. The other guy checked his compass and said, "your right". How often do you need to take a bearing at noon standard time, on a clear day, in the center of the time zone, pointing exactly with your shadow? Sometimes low tech is good enough, and for me, it is always sometime on the AT.
Rambler

Panzer1
01-16-2008, 21:45
Does anyone know how a GPS would be affected by temperature on a cold winter night on the trail? Would freezing cause it to break?

Panzer

OregonHiker
01-16-2008, 21:55
Does anyone know how a GPS would be affected by temperature on a cold winter night on the trail? Would freezing cause it to break?

Panzer

Do you already own one? If so check the specs in the back of the owners manual

If not visit the manufacturers web site for the model you may have in mind.

My guess it doesn't get cold enough in the SE to damage the unit,

Battery degradation may be an issue. You could always sleep with it in your sleeping bag.

Bob S
01-16-2008, 22:39
Use Lithium instead of Alkaline in a cold environment. They work well when cold and weigh much less. My GPS is an older (about 4-years old) Garmin Etrex Legend and it has an LCD display. It seems to do ok when cold, it changes screens slow but it works.

fiddlehead
01-16-2008, 23:55

Panzer

I carried my old E-trex up to 20,000' (spent the night at 17,500 where the temps were probably well below zero that night)
No problems with cold. Worked well. Only problem was the maps we had were on some crazy chinese meridian that were tough to figure out. Took a few days of trail and error before we made a template that was pretty close.

Now-a days you can download maps into the more advanced models. ( I don't have one of those yet and my E-trex was stolen this past Dec. on my trip to Philadelphia) i am now going backwards in time and using my old old old GPS-12 (bought it in '98 when i replaced my Magellan)
One of these days i'll upgrade (when the prices come down or i can buy something cheap)

Big_I
01-17-2008, 00:15
The Garmin eTrex Vista HCx has the entire AT preloaded at 1:24K.

Panzer1
01-17-2008, 00:44
One of these days i'll upgrade (when the prices come down or i can buy something cheap)My garmin nuvi 750 was $465 at Christmas and has gone down to $435 now on Amazon.com

So prices are coming down. Give it another year. I bet prices will be much more reasonable.

Panzer

Bob S
01-17-2008, 00:57
I bought my Garmin Etrex Legend at Office Max for $120.00 4-years ago. If you look around you can get a good deal as I did. I would have to think this model cost less now then it did 4-years ago.

E-Bay…..

Pirate
01-17-2008, 12:24
Google "gps coordinates appalachian trail" this should get you going on the right track.

HIKER7s
01-17-2008, 13:28
Having one on the trail is good if you want to have it and great if you know how to use it by the time you go. However, I have always been a purist first and easy second. I would submit your skills at map reading and the use of the compass be proficient before you use the GPS to depend on.

The above statement is for hikers. Obviously the in vehicle GPS is another completely different animal. You dont need the compass for that.

homebrew
01-17-2008, 13:36
GPS=to much weight. The AT is to well marked and a beaten down path.

Panzer1
01-17-2008, 13:48
GPS=to much weight. The AT is to well marked and a beaten down path.

Yea, I agree. all you need on the trail is a map and compass. You should not "depend" on anything electronic on the trail. Although I am not against bringing electronic toys just to play with.

Panzer

D'Artagnan
01-17-2008, 13:56
I tried GPS a couple times on-trail but had difficulty maintaining a clear signal. After that, I left it in the car. IMHO, dead weight. YMMV

Panzer1
01-17-2008, 14:00
I tried GPS a couple times on-trail but had difficulty maintaining a clear signal. After that, I left it in the car. IMHO, dead weight. YMMV

I think the problem with leaving it in the car is that if someone breaks into the car, they get a free GPS. Things like that are not unheard of.

My GPS weights just under 6 ounces, which means that it is not unreasonable to pack it with me. It is actually the most expensive "thing" in my car.

Panzer

HIKER7s
01-17-2008, 15:01
I think the problem with leaving it in the car is that if someone breaks into the car, they get a free GPS. Things like that are not unheard of.

My GPS weights just under 6 ounces, which means that it is not unreasonable to pack it with me. It is actually the most expensive "thing" in my car.

Panzer

Good point! My brother is a police Sgt in Bucks County and said to me recently as I told him I was getting the wife, who cant find her way our of the residential section sometimes, a GPS for the vehicle. (that non hiker/ hiker relationship you know..)

He told me to get some of those window wipes and be sure to clean up the mark it leaves on inside your windsheild. Theives that are looking for them also key on that mark. Figuring its somewhere in the glovebox or whatever inside the vehicle. If its not and they break in due to the mark, still going to be $ involved to you.

Panzer1
01-17-2008, 15:41
yea, I got those suction cup marks all over my windshield now. I know your supposed to clean them off but I'm always in a hurry. Lazy too. Maybe I should get a pack of those windshield wipes and use them. It will be cheaper that replacing a window.

Panzer

HIKER7s
01-18-2008, 11:25
Sure would be, they most go thru the side window.

Painted Turtle
01-18-2008, 12:06
I am a sectionhiker with 1030 miles done and have used mine on several occassions. Some with good results and some not so good. In VT is was totaly usless felt like trowing it away. There was just to heavy of a canopy.
Maine it worked pretty good. Now this was with a 10 year old Etrex.

It is mostly a toy to play with when I take a brake. You do not need one on the "AT".

I do some Geocaching so I take it sometimes for that also to see how close I am to a shelter. Keep in mind that some like my old GPS give distance as the crow flies. I am not sure about my new one. Only a month old.

I just got the new Delorme GPS PN-20. This you can load TOPO USA on. You can print out maps 1:50,000 use the UTM and pin point your location at will. The newer GPS models are said to work better under canopy cover then the older ones. Time will tell.

What model did you get?

Wise Old Owl
01-18-2008, 12:19
Since gas prices went up so has fencing the car version of GPS! Recenty while parked in front of a nice resturaunt in Willow Grove PA my car was broken into and the GPS & company laptop was stolen. They never opened the door and the factory installed alarm never sounded. The police officer arrived and he said "Third one tonight, I just came from that other nice resteraunt nearby" I called the Insurance Co. that night and they arranged a window replacement for the next afternoon. The SafteyGlass guy replaced the window in less than two hours and it was his fifth one that day. The car window employees have 50 installers with 5 that work at the office in a assembly line. I estimated from the conversation that about 12500+ windows a year in the philadelphia area for that one company alone. About two weeks later the police had a "cattle call" to claim some of the found stolen mechandise one night. Some 950 people showed up to claim a very small amount of recovered jewlery, phones, Ipods, MP3, Tools, and of course GPS. Few if any GPS were recovered as they resold so quickly on the internet. :-?

HIKER7s
01-18-2008, 12:47
Since gas prices went up so has fencing the car version of GPS! Recenty while parked in front of a nice resturaunt in Willow Grove PA my car was broken into and the GPS & company laptop was stolen. They never opened the door and the factory installed alarm never sounded. The police officer arrived and he said "Third one tonight, I just came from that other nice resteraunt nearby" I called the Insurance Co. that night and they arranged a window replacement for the next afternoon. The SafteyGlass guy replaced the window in less than two hours and it was his fifth one that day. The car window employees have 50 installers with 5 that work at the office in a assembly line. I estimated from the conversation that about 12500+ windows a year in the philadelphia area for that one company alone. About two weeks later the police had a "cattle call" to claim some of the found stolen mechandise one night. Some 950 people showed up to claim a very small amount of recovered jewlery, phones, Ipods, MP3, Tools, and of course GPS. Few if any GPS were recovered as they resold so quickly on the internet. :-?

SO CLEAN those windshield rings. Because even if its not on, it suggests you have one.

jhick
01-18-2008, 16:58
I would be happy with compass and map, but love to toy with my color Garmin etrex. I wouldn't have put the money out for it, but got it at a REI garage sale for $25!!! The rubber edging was broken off, but I glued it back on.

ps... It may be a little bit of a ride, but you PA guys may wanna check out the NJ REI next Saturday 26th, they are having another garage sale. Great deals, people will probably be camping out on sidewalk overnight. We showed up a couple hours before they opened and still found several great deals... North Face Windwall Fleece$14, Merrell Chameleon Wraps $24, a girls $150 down jacket for $12 and a few others.
see ya there!!!

Route Step
01-19-2008, 09:51
I met BP in the White Mtns. He was carrying a GPS as mentioned earlier for BackPacker and was heading north tracing the trail.

travis71
01-19-2008, 11:35
I love my GPS for day hikes, & I would definitely take it on overnight trips with me. I enjoy getting home & editing the "tracks" I made, then transferring them to Google Earth. I am in the process of remapping a smallish local state forest (as a hobby, not being paid of course) whose maps are somewhat outdated. I think it will be nice to have a picture of the park on a 3d overview to give a better perspective of your trail. I also use it to mark neat overlooks, rock formations, etc. It is a pretty handy device, i purchased it for caching, but have gotten alot of use out of it. It also helps me in orienting on hikes.

However, in my virgin trip to Dolly Sods here in WV on my old GPS (loaded with only the base maps, which are lacking) I was glad to have real area maps to look at, alongside my receiver. If I were to come into a great deal of cash & be able to quit my job & hit the trail... As of now, I would say I would take my GPS for certain... and I would also carry maps with me for at least my first few weeks out. After that I would know if I wanted to ass with the GPS (it might just be more of an irritant than anything else) & ditch the maps... or if the GPS was just too much trouble for too little return. Then I would just mail it home.

Chache
01-19-2008, 18:15
http://www.travelbygps.com/z_links/appalachian_trail.php
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851251/k.9E7B/Mapping_Links.htm

gumball
01-19-2008, 21:52
The Garmin eTrex Vista HCx has the entire AT preloaded at 1:24K.

Does that mean you do not have to buy extra maps for a topo of the AT with the Vista HCx?