PDA

View Full Version : all new member

twinkletoe66
12-22-2003, 12:06
hello. i am a new member to this site, and let me tell ya, i love reading all your posts. my husband and i are going to start hiking the a.t. and would love some advice. we would appriciate any kind anyone can give us. we are going to start in sections, :) very small sections and eventually hike the whole thing.

maranda

hungryhowie
12-22-2003, 13:51
hello. i am a new member to this site, and let me tell ya, i love reading all your posts. my husband and i are going to start hiking the a.t. and would love some advice. we would appriciate any kind anyone can give us. we are going to start in sections, :) very small sections and eventually hike the whole thing.

maranda

Great! Welcome. I'm kinda new here (at whiteblaze) myself. I thruhiked the AT in 2000 and have done several large and small section hikes on it since. I've picked up a partner in the past year myself, and am surprised at how fun hiking as a couple actually is.

You're near D.C., so why not start your hikes near there (anywhere from Shenandoah to Duncannnon, PA should be fairly accessible, right)? That area of trail isn't particularly visually stunning, but at the right time of year offers pleasant walking though miles of beautiful mountain laurel blossoms. The terrain isn't particularly challenging, either, which is a bonus for just starting out.

In regards to the gear that you'll carry, try to keep it as lightweight as possible. Do you have previous backpacking experience? hiking during the summer (or late spring -early fall) will allow you to get by with lighter-weight sleeping bags and fewer clothing items than trying something in the winter.

The more info you give us about what you'd like to do, the more we can help.

welcome,

-Howie

Bankrobber
12-22-2003, 14:33
I'm going to have to disagree with you, Howie. I think that the trail through Shenandoah is quite stunning, as is the area south of the park. I do agree that Front Royal to Duncannon is not the most beautiful.

Jack Tarlin
12-22-2003, 16:56
Wewlcome!! Best of luck with your hiking plans. Considering where you live, you might want to visit the Harper's Ferry headquarters of the Appalachian Trail Conference, which is THE place to go for maps, guidebooks, and other information on the Trail. You can also visit their website at www.atconf.org; the section of their website called "The Ultimate Trail Store" has a complete listing of the maps, guides, and other books that they offer for sale.

Matt Pincham
12-23-2003, 06:32
Welcome Maranda.

My girlfriend and I will be thru-hiking the AT next year (almost this year now...how exciting :) )

You'll find a lot of helpful people on here and if you ask ANY question you're usually bound to get an answer.

Best of Luck
Matt

Jericho
12-31-2003, 12:47
Hi Matt I plan to hike at least NJ & NY (& maybe Penn) later starting in June. I think meeting other hikers around supper time to share the days' adventures would be fun and beneficial. I really don't know how to successfully negotiate the WB Forum, but if you want to respond to my post, I'll try to dialogue more. JerichoJumper
O I hiked all of NE last summer...I loved it, it was beautiful, Maine was the Best!

screwysquirrel
01-02-2004, 02:03
I agree with Bankrobber, the Shenandoahs are really some spectalcular vistas in the fall and late summer. Plus you have all the stops there to refresh yourself.