PDA

View Full Version : Light Windproof Fleece w/ Pit Zips?

tlw08
01-03-2008, 13:11
A question:

I am in search of a quality windstopping shell with insulating qualities for an early march AT NOBO departure.

The Mountain Hardware Tech Windstopper appealed to me until I tried it on... it seems to stop wind and that's about it.

The North Face Denali appealed to me until I realized it didn't stop wind.

I overheat easily so pitzips are preferred.

I intend to only wear a Capilene 3 base layer. Waterproof qualities are not too important as I'll be bringing pro action frogg toggs.

:confused: :confused: :eek:

bigcranky
01-03-2008, 14:38
I have an EMS Windstopper shell with pit zips. It's fine around town, and maybe on day hikes, but I don't take it backpacking.

Windproof fleece tends to be heavy and bulky, and not very warm. The windproof part is great -- but there's just not that much insulation there. I find mine is too hot to hike in unless it's *very* cold, but not warm enough when I stop.

I carry a separate wind shirt and insulation jacket. For March I would carry a 3-oz wind shirt (like the Patagonia Houdini top or the Marmot Ion jacket) and a Micropuff pullover (a synthetic insulated top). I wear the wind shirt while hiking, and pull the insulation on at breaks and in camp.

You could carry something like the TNF Denali jacket along with a light wind shirt, though the Denali suffers from a weight and bulk penalty, too. You might want to look for a light puffy jacket, either down or synthetic, something in the 12-14 ounce range, and add a wind shirt. I find that's a good combination that time of year.

If you are *very* cold all the time, then you might benefit from a windproof softshell or fleece. My lovely wife wears her Marmot Sharp Point jacket all the time on the trail, usually over a light baselayer or a microfleece top. I would sweat buckets trying to hike in that combo, but it works for her. But this would be something to wear on the trail, not pack for warmth when stopping. (You'd still need the puffy insulation layer for that. She carries a light down jacket for this purpose.)

Kerosene
01-03-2008, 14:54
Check out www.beyondfleece.com (http://www.beyondfleece.com) for a variety of customized insulated gear.

Mocs123
01-03-2008, 15:13
I second the opinion about the separate insulating and windproof layers. If you plan on hiking in it try a fleece and a windshirt, if it is just for camp try puffy insulation

Mooselook Marty
01-03-2008, 16:30
Although it does not have pit zips, the venerable Marmot Driclime windshirt is a lightweight, breathable and warm alternative. Love mine!

Marty

tlw08
01-03-2008, 16:48
So in theory the pro action frogg toggs should act as a windshirt no?

What then are some recommendations on low-weight in-camp (puffy) insulation?

I know there are approximately 1,000 choices out there. Also, I have no interest in making my own. Willing to spend $150 at the high end, preferrably less.

:confused: :confused: :)

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 17:34
This looks good:

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/product_focus.jsp?OPTION=PRODUCT_FOCUS_DISPLAY_HAN DLER&style_color=83973-610&patcatcode=MAIN_FA07_US.CLOTHING_GEAR.MENS.JACKETS .DOWN/SYNTHETIC

Also the Montbell:

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=73&p_id=2301226

I have the no-longer produce REI Gossamer which is a lot like the Montbell weight-wise. I'm good to somewhere around freezing with a microfleece, undies, hats etc. I plan to add a thruhiker kit vest as an inner layer with the jacket.

tlw08
01-03-2008, 17:52
Thoughts on the Patagonia Micro Puff (w or w/o hood) vs Integral Designs PLQ vs this Montbell? What will dry quicker if wet?

Mocs123
01-03-2008, 18:01
I have a 2006 Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover (no hood) and a 2005 Mont-Bell UL Thermawrap jacket (no hood). The Micro Puff is heavier but warmer than the Mont Bell. Both are well made and have held up nicely to my abuse. The new Micro Puffs use new insulation and are slightly hevier than the models they replace.

And yes the Frogg Toggs could be used as a wind shirt.

bigcranky
01-03-2008, 19:00
I use my Micropuff pullover (no hood), and it's plenty warm in March. That said, if I had to replace it right now, I'd buy the parka version with a hood. Or I'd buy the Montbell Alpine Light Parka in down, also with a hood, and save a few ounces.

scope
01-03-2008, 19:10
Montbell Alpine light jacket or inner jacket (down, no hood). I don't see any need for you to worry about getting it wet, nor do I think there should be a need for a hood if you have one on your s-bag (assuming you have something like a wool cap,etc.)

J5man
01-03-2008, 19:19
For what's worth, today I hiked here in KY where the temps started out in the 20's when I began. Based on info I have read on the cold weather threads and contributions from Tipi Walter and others, I tested some of the layering suggestions. Upper layer I wore a synthetic short sleeved tshirt covered by a long sleeve synthetic tshirt, a fleece vest, and my Frogg Toggs as a wind breaker. Bottom half, I wore silk long johns under my synthetic hiking pants. Of course I had on a hat and gloves too. 30 minutes into I took off the jacket and gloves to cool down. I am still learning how to layer and regulate but this site has been wonderful. I have never hiked in cold weather until recently and now a whole new world is opened.

FanaticFringer
01-03-2008, 19:33
Just bought a Montbell Alpine Light Down jacket. Great price. Free shipping.
I got the last medium in Thyme. Love that color.
www.prolitegear.com/montbell_alpine_light_down_jacket.html

tlw08
01-03-2008, 19:36
I've found some pretty good deals on the Micro Puff Hoodie & the Thermawrap Parka - where the Montbell is 10oz or more lighter, the Patagonia is Patagonia, and I've never owned Montbell gear.

Micro Puff also comes with stuff sack.

Thoughts?

tlw08
01-03-2008, 19:37
That Alpine Down is also appealing. I have a functional wool cap that isn't too wind proof and so the hoods on the above two seem possibly important.

Mags
01-03-2008, 19:40
I've found some pretty good deals on the Micro Puff Hoodie & the Thermawrap Parka - where the Montbell is 10oz or more lighter, the Patagonia is Patagonia, and I've never owned Montbell gear.

Thoughts?

Montbell makes exquisite, well designed and functional gear.

I have a thermawrap (came with a stuff sack as well), and used it on the CDT in 2006 for the second half of the trail, and it is something I keep in my pack for ski touring.

Good stuff.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 19:45

Thoughts?

The montbell is lighter, but the patagonia is warmer, take your pick. If you go with the montbell you may need a vest underneath when it is really cold.

tlw08
01-03-2008, 19:52
Called them and Montbell does come with a stuff sack.

When you say "really cold" what do you mean? I am not planning on encountering subzero temperatures but under freezing could be guarenteed.

Mags
01-03-2008, 19:56
I am not planning on encountering subzero temperatures but under freezing could be guarenteed.

I wear it for quick stops when skiing or waering on really cold days in shoulder season backpacking. If you get REALLY cold, get into your sleeping bag. It is lighter to use something you have than to carry an extra piece of gear "just in case".

hopefulhiker
01-03-2008, 20:00
I used the silkweight base layer, and the Marmot driclime windshirt, has arm pit vents, also use the Patagonia down pull over for in camp use.. also used Frog Toggs top for an outer shell/rain jacket...

bigcranky
01-03-2008, 20:56
Don't bother with the stuff sack with a synthetic jacket like the Thermawrap or the Micropuff. Just fold it gently and lay it in the top of your pack, or slide it down the inside front. The loft will last longer that way, and it's faster to get out and put on at breaks.

Mocs123
01-03-2008, 21:06
Both will compress to about the size of a grapefruit, but I don't use the stuff sacks either

I find the Patagonia to be 5-7 degrees warmer than the Mont Bell and there is a ~ 2.5 ounce diff.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 21:34
Called them and Montbell does come with a stuff sack.

When you say "really cold" what do you mean? I am not planning on encountering subzero temperatures but under freezing could be guarenteed.

My REI Gossamer is about the same weight as the Montbell and I'm good with it to around freezing, any lower and I need more insulation, that's why I'm making a vest kit.