PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks, 100Mi, But NOBO or SOBO??

GrtflDev
01-03-2008, 14:57
Hey now!

Wondering if anyone has some insight as to the difference of crowd conditions in late June/early July, and If it would be better in that regard to start out going South and end up in/near Mass., or start in Mass and work our way up. Rides and transportation isnt really an issue, whats more of a concern being from NYC Metro is lots of people. Any insight of information would be a great help and much appreciated..
Thanks in advance, all!
Cloudy

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 14:59
I would go NOBO if I were you

warraghiyagey
01-03-2008, 14:59
Vermont is a pretty sweet section and in you're given time-period I can't see a real difference in going either direction.
With that said - go SOBO!!!!:) :) :)

warraghiyagey
01-03-2008, 15:01
I would go NOBO if I were you
:mad: :cool: :p :)

rafe
01-03-2008, 15:02
June/July, the wave of NOBOs is somewhere between northern VA and southern New England. But the wave has already thinned out and spread out by then, so it's rarely a problem, IMO. You're likely to see as many day hikers and short-sectioners as thru-hikers.

A-Train
01-03-2008, 15:46
I'd start in Maine and walk SOBO back home. Mass is nasty in late june/early july. Too hot, tons of mosquitoes, ticks. Maine is nice and cool in july.

warraghiyagey
01-03-2008, 15:50
I'd start in Maine and walk SOBO back home. Mass is nasty in late june/early july. Too hot, tons of mosquitoes, ticks. Maine is nice and cool in july.
Excellent call.:) :)

NorthCountryWoods
01-03-2008, 17:25

Excellent call.:) :)

I thought we were talking Long Trail?

If we are, then north of AT split if you want quiet....cept for Camels Hump and Mt Mansfield, but even those are quiet compared to most of the AT.

GrtflDev
01-03-2008, 17:26
after doing some research on the Long Trail, I figured it would be best to start out at a friends house in Warren VT. Does anyone know what the average time would be (days) from the closest trailhead to North Adams Mass. is it possible to do it 11-12 days? Is it safe to assume that an intermediate-advanced hiker can make it in that much time barring any unforseen weather (which I am sure happens more than not) or accidents/hazzards? Thanks to you all for being so quick in responding, I havent been more than 5 days out in more than 10 years and want to take a stab at a short one before commiting my body to the 25+ days it may take to end to end it, I am psyched and all of those pictures of gear and the like are so incredibly helpful that I again must thank this site and you all. smile smile smile :)

rafe
01-03-2008, 17:33
Possible, yes, if you're in very good shape. From all reports, the LT gets tougher once you get N. of Vermont Rte. 4. And the location of Warren indicates that it's at least two or three days hiking N of Rte. 4. Figure a week from Williamstown/North Adams (MA) to Vermont Rte. 4 via the AT/LT.

A-Train
01-03-2008, 17:37
Woops, sorry. Long Trail, OK.

Your closest trailhead to Warren is Lincoln Gap, off of Rt 100 and near Waitsfield. Off the top of my head, its roughly 160 miles from the Mass line to here, maybe a bit much for 10-11 days. For something shorter you could go from Mass line to Rt 4/near Rutland, which is the easiest section of the LT. North of here gets more rugged. Or you could leave from Warren and hike 100miles south to Manchester Center.

Direction really doesn't matter too much as the conditions are pretty uniformed throughout Vermont this time of yr. In general the LT gets harder the farther north you go.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions

GrtflDev
01-03-2008, 17:40
We are in pretty good shape and that shouldnt be the problem. as far as tough goes.. terrain? inclines? trail conditions? or all? is it safe to assume that it would be tougher to start at the border and work down to Warren VT? can that be done in the same amount of time? you rock thanks

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 17:45
We are in pretty good shape and that shouldnt be the problem. as far as tough goes.. terrain? inclines? trail conditions? or all? is it safe to assume that it would be tougher to start at the border and work down to Warren VT? can that be done in the same amount of time? you rock thanks

LOTS of steep ups and downs starting at the Canadian border. slow going for sure

GrtflDev
01-03-2008, 17:54
I your opinion, what would be the best 100 miles on the long trail?

rafe
01-03-2008, 17:57
Define best. The mountains get higher and gnarlier the closer you get to Canada. That means harder hiking but probably nicer views. If you want a great account of a hike on the Long Trail, get Jan Liteshoe's book, The Ordinary Adventurer.

GrtflDev
01-03-2008, 18:00
best = your opinion ;)

A-Train
01-03-2008, 18:04
Best 100 mile section? Lincoln Gap to Canada. Also the toughest though. You hit all the highlights, starting out with a great 12 mile ridge walk, Camels Hump, Mansfield, Madonna, Whiteface, Laraway, Belvidere and Jay Peak. Not many people either.

rafe
01-03-2008, 18:05
best = your opinion ;)

Nah, I've only done the easy (AT/LT) part. Read Jan's book for the rest.

GrtflDev
01-03-2008, 18:11
Thanks A-Train, That sounds like a great hike and being that Lincoln Gap is close to my friends place, i am thinking of starting North and heading down to Lincoln Gap. I am gussine that most of the foot traffic is on the AT/LT part?

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 21:29
Best 100 mile section? Lincoln Gap to Canada. Also the toughest though. You hit all the highlights, starting out with a great 12 mile ridge walk, Camels Hump, Mansfield, Madonna, Whiteface, Laraway, Belvidere and Jay Peak. Not many people either.

i agree

GPK
01-04-2008, 02:15
Northbound or Southbound this is some of the best the Long Trail has to offer - peaks, views and few crowds. Inn at the Long Trail (Killington) to Long Trail Inn (Johnson).

GrtflDev
01-04-2008, 10:55
Can the Leg from the border to Lincoln Gap be done in under 12 days? Do we need longer, I want to take some side hikes that people have suggested and do not want to be rushed, but life goes on in the real world, and unfortunately we have to be back to pay the man...;(

A-Train
01-04-2008, 11:57
Can the Leg from the border to Lincoln Gap be done in under 12 days? Do we need longer, I want to take some side hikes that people have suggested and do not want to be rushed, but life goes on in the real world, and unfortunately we have to be back to pay the man...;(

I believe its around 100 miles, definately doable in 12 days even with the tough terrain. I started at Rt 4/Rutland and was able to average close to 15mpd, though I don't recommend going at that pace. Make sure to allow for extra time near Appalachian gap, burnt Rock Mtn, Camel's Hump area as it's slow going.

Also, don't miss the Long Trail Tavern in Johnson. Great stop. Really friendly owner Al, great food and good beers. Right near the LT too.

I'd also recommend building an extra day into your schedule in case you get bad weather (which is very possible on the LT). I'd hate to cross some above treeline sections like Mansfield, Camels Hump or Belvidere in a storm.

NorthCountryWoods
01-04-2008, 16:52
By the mileage in LT guide-

Lincoln Gap Road --> Canadian border + 1.3 miles for Journey's End Trail = 123.0 miles.

GrtflDev
01-04-2008, 20:20
Thanks North Country, I just ordered my book and it should be here soon. Do you happen to know where a good spot to get dropped off would be, around the 100 Mile mark, maybe the next trailhead or another blaze to the LT? Thanks again

NorthCountryWoods
01-05-2008, 10:23
If you still wanted to start at the Canadian border and head south, Camels hump would be right about the 100 mile mark.

If you still wanted to do 100 miles and end up at Lincoln gap, Hazens Notch would be the starting point.

I'd say start at Journeys end and see how far you get. If the weathers right and legs are good, you could squeeze out the extra miles. If not, you'd still be close enough to Warren to hitch or get picked up.

NorthCountryWoods
01-05-2008, 12:24
BTW, I'm going by the 25th edition, which doesn't include the detour (which I believe is shorter) for the new foot bridge over the Lamoille river.

The new edition will have this corrected.

pedxing
01-07-2008, 00:22
Warren is just 5 miles East of the Lincoln Gap trail head. If I was hiking the LT for two weeks and Warren was going to be one end, I'd do the 120 (and change) miles from Lincoln Gap to the Canadian Border.

I've done the LT once in each direction and I think I'd take that stretch South Bound. I think starting at the northern remote end would be a great start to the experience. The remoteness of the trail and the trail head will get you into a nice frame of mind, and you'll be saving the more spectacular string of peaks and ridges for the second half of your hike. Jay, which you would hit on day 2 is nice peak - but it doesn't match the sting of 4K peaks later on.

You can't go wrong. The whole LT is great, but the Northern half is the best.

A-Train
01-07-2008, 00:48
DEFINATELY don't miss the fire tower and .25 m side trail up to Mt. Belvidere. For me it was the best view on the whole LT, but I seriously lucked out. Got there on a weekday in september with crystal clear weather. No one around. Then again I've also been up there in a snowstorm, but that's another story!

You can see much of the LT you've walked/will walk, the Whites, the Daks on a clear day, and into Canada. It's quite a view!