PDA

View Full Version : White Blaze Fever

kevin
12-22-2003, 13:03
I just finished reading my copy of "White Blaze Fever" by William "Mountain Slayer" Schuette. For those not familiar with this book, its essentially an extended trail journal that follows Mountain Slayer's hike and is full of additional "hiker tips" througout. As I rarely read books more than once, I'm putting this one up for grabs. The first person that posts a reply gets it free of charge. I'll take care of shipping...just include an email address so I can contact you for a shipping address.

2Ply
12-22-2003, 13:16
What the heck, :-?
[email protected]

illininagel
12-22-2003, 15:37
I just finished reading my copy of "White Blaze Fever" by William "Mountain Slayer" Schuette.

I happen to be reading "White Blaze Fever" right now. So far, I'm not overly impressed. It seems too much like a plodding, daily trip log rather than an interesting story. At this point (about a quarter of the way through the book), the author has yet to share much about his background, why he is hiking, etc. Rather, he basically writes about the trail that he covered each day and the weather conditions. Hopefully, it will pick up soon.

It's generous of you to share your book with others.

kevin
12-22-2003, 21:05
At this point (about a quarter of the way through the book), the author has yet to share much about his background, why he is hiking, etc. Rather, he basically writes about the trail that he covered each day and the weather conditions. Hopefully, it will pick up soon.

He does address the "why hike the trail?" question a bit at the end, but don't expect too much of a pickup. I'd give it a 2 out of 4 stars as a rating. There were some worthwhile hiker tips and some good descriptions of the highs/lows one encounters on the trail, but it did get a bit dry sometimes. Overall, I felt I got my money/time's worth out of it, but wouldn't rate it as a "must read."

Toolshed
11-25-2004, 11:23
I jusr finished reading it. I ended up using it to put me to sleep every night. The only difference between reading the book in bed and reading trail journals online was I could fall alseep and let the book fall on the floor. Not the same with a laptop.

Kerosene
11-26-2004, 12:40
I wasn't very impressed with White Blaze Fever (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1589394291/qid=1101487185/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-2103523-7566200) either. My all-time favorite is still Model T's Walking on the Happy Side of Misery (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1401020410/qid=1101487156/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2103523-7566200?v=glance&s=books).