PDA

View Full Version : Pack for thru-hike?

ATRookies
01-03-2008, 16:54
Hello Everyone! This is my first post! I am preparing a SOBO thru-hike in 2010 or 2011. I am in the process of preparing, and absorbing as much as i can while training and hikinh to train my body as well as my mind. The one thing i've been doing alot of research on is all of the different kinds of pack.

What kind of pack is recommended for a SOBO thru-hike? I am female, 5'5 and weigh 130. What would be a sufficient pack? I want to buy my gear sooner so i can hike with it and strengthen my hips and ankles! (The one thing i think i want, is my sleeping bag carried inside my pack. I dont have a good reason other than i don't want my 'bed' to be out in the open for 2,000 miles!)

Thank You all in advance! :dance

rafe
01-03-2008, 16:56
Check out Granite Gear (eg. Vapor Trail, Nimbus Ozone) or ULA (eg. Catalyst.)

Just a Hiker
01-03-2008, 16:58
You'll get alot of suggestions about packs, but for my money Osprey Packs are always a good choice. Well made, not too awfully expensive and their customer service is one of the best in the industry. Good luck on your hike.

Just Jim

jesse
01-03-2008, 17:05
can you sew? You might want to look at making some of your stuff.

http://www.ray-way.com/index.htm

AlwaysHiking
01-03-2008, 17:29
With the amount of time you have, you might benefit from renting some gear. I bought three packs before I finally found one I really like. Could have saved myself some $$ if I'd rented a few first.

Most packs offer similar features but they can carry very differently from brand to brand, even from model to model in the same brand.

One thing to think about is the rest of your gear. You'll either start with a pack and then buy gear that fits it or you buy the gear first and then a pack. When I started lightening my load I couldn't get a lightweight pack until I had the rest of my gear down first. So that's just something to think about while you're planning your purchases.

CherrypieScout
01-03-2008, 19:20
I have been happy for years with a Gregory Shasta. But I do want to up grade to a Gregory Diva. It weighs about 5 less pounds and has all the support I need.

Blissful
01-03-2008, 21:17
Get your gear first, then your pack.

I saw lots of Osprey out there on the trail. And Gregory Diva. I went with a Gregory Jade later on in my hike, but it is kind of small for cold weather hiking gear. Sufficient for late spring, summer.

Marta
01-03-2008, 22:37
I used a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus for most of my hike. It's reasonably priced and quite light. Having a lightweight pack means you need to keep the rest of your stuff light.

Have you checked out the cheap gear challenge?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5594&highlight=gear+challenge

take-a-knee
01-04-2008, 00:04
My daughter loves her Granite Gear Vapor Ki.

4eyedbuzzard
01-04-2008, 00:08
What kind of pack is recommended for a SOBO thru-hike? I am female, 5'5 and weigh 130. What would be a sufficient pack? I want to buy my gear sooner so i can hike with it and strengthen my hips and ankles! (The one thing i think i want, is my sleeping bag carried inside my pack. I dont have a good reason other than i don't want my 'bed' to be out in the open for 2,000 miles!)

Thank You all in advance! :dance

With any internal frame pack you'll be carrying your bag inside the pack. But your bed will still be out in the open for the entire trail, if you get what I'm saying.