PDA

View Full Version : Pack for thru-hike?

ATRookies
01-03-2008, 16:55
Hello Everyone! This is my first post! I am preparing a SOBO thru-hike in 2010 or 2011. I am in the process of preparing, and absorbing as much as i can while training and hikinh to train my body as well as my mind. The one thing i've been doing alot of research on is all of the different kinds of pack.

What kind of pack is recommended for a SOBO thru-hike? I am female, 5'5 and weigh 130. What would be a sufficient pack? I want to buy my gear sooner so i can hike with it and strengthen my hips and ankles! (The one thing i think i want, is my sleeping bag carried inside my pack. I dont have a good reason other than i don't want my 'bed' to be out in the open for 2,000 miles!)

Thank You all in advance! :dance

Appalachian Tater
01-03-2008, 19:24
Hello Everyone! This is my first post! I am preparing a SOBO thru-hike in 2010 or 2011. I am in the process of preparing, and absorbing as much as i can while training and hikinh to train my body as well as my mind. The one thing i've been doing alot of research on is all of the different kinds of pack.

What kind of pack is recommended for a SOBO thru-hike? I am female, 5'5 and weigh 130. What would be a sufficient pack? I want to buy my gear sooner so i can hike with it and strengthen my hips and ankles! (The one thing i think i want, is my sleeping bag carried inside my pack. I dont have a good reason other than i don't want my 'bed' to be out in the open for 2,000 miles!)

Thank You all in advance! :dance

Frequently given advice is to buy your pack last of all your gear so that you can get the correct size to hold your gear. Ideally your bag is in your pack where it can stay dry. Since you have so long, consider borrowing or renting a backpack and testing it over the weekend to get an idea of what features are important to you. Comfort and weight are very important and proper fitting of th pack is important for comfort. Also make sure that whatever pack you buy is from a brand that stands behind their products--you don't want to have to buy a new pack on your thru because the company refuses to replace a defective product.

wrongway_08
01-03-2008, 20:43
Try out a few, I have switched packs 3 times before deciding to go with the Jam 2 from GoLite.

I would say from my own trial and error, get the equipment first - camp out a few times in your back yard to see what you like/dont like. Adjust your gear accordingly to these trials.

Borrow some packs and try the packs out. Or you can ake your gear to REI and fill up the packs in the showroom, then walk around the store. Make sure you like how the pack holds your gear, the size of the pack, pockets, how the top secures and most importantly how the pack feels fully loaded.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 21:35
Get a Moonbow Gearskin and all your gear will fit regardless.

Programbo
01-03-2008, 21:52
I would suggest working your way up to a "thru-hike" since you have so much time..Start with day hikes..then weekend trips and finally longer trips..You`ll learn from trial and error what you do and don`t need when out on the trail long before you leave...This doesn`t apply to you but nothing bugs me more than someone who is a month away from starting a thru hike and is asking what they should pack or eat etc...Your comment about your bed being out in the open for 2,000 miles tells me you have a lot to learn before you`d be a good candidate for a SOBO thru-hike..Being in NOVA you are real close to the C&) Canal and the AT in general so try some day hikes as a start and then work your way up!...Have fun ..maybe I`ll see you up on the trail as I go on day hikes several times a month

kokopelli
01-03-2008, 22:04
I am going to hike from springer to Fonatana, maybe to 444 (top of smokies), I can't do it all at one time. I will like to start the last weekend of feb 08, but i will consider changin thar start. reply here or e-mail me at [email protected].

turtle fast
01-03-2008, 22:13
I have 4 packs to access for my thru hike, all of various sizes and makes, from my primary pack the Mountainsmith Circut 3 at a larger volume, to my 2 REI Rising Star lower lighter volume and spare packs, and to a trusty old Camp Trails Pack spare if other 3 fail....unlikely though.
1- The best overall answer I have been given is to first go with fit as it is primary. Go to a respected outfitter to try on a pack and get someone knowledgable to pack fit you in the store. REI has a good video online of pack fitting that will bew helpful.
2- Features that you want like outside pockets, hydration bladder holders, and removable day packs have to be considered.
3 - Weight, get something that you are confortable with

Hurley
01-03-2008, 23:06
I don't think I've ever seen anyone post about the Kelty Nimble 3500
http://kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=4&cat=66&id=19

I got mine off ebay for $160. Excellant pack for the money. Everything on the pack feels really comfortable. Mine has about 50 miles so far on it and I plan on taking for a 2008 nobo hike. Kelty has a ton of other packs too.

ScottP
01-06-2008, 20:01
It's really a matter of personal preference--some people that are real trail experts hike in huge external frame packs from the 70's, and some other very experienced hikers carry packs that are smaller than the backpack I wore to school when I was 10.

The only answer is to try out as many different types of packs as you can--try to buy something used or borrow a pack from a friend. Even as you hike you will get more comfortable both carrying more gear and being able to enjoy your experience while having less--the comprimise is yours to find.

What you need to keep in the back of your head is an overall strategy. What kind of life do you want on the trail? Do you want to hike the whole day? Do you want to hike half the day then spend the other half of the day hanging out in camp reading and cooking elaborate meals? What is your budget? Is your body tolerant of carrying a heavy load day after day? Are you comfortable camping with next to nothing day after day?

If you're going to go buy one nice piece of gear, treat yourself to a good sleeping bag from Western Mountaineering (Montbell and Marmot are also very good brands).

the_iceman
01-06-2008, 20:20
I am going to hike from springer to Fonatana, maybe to 444 (top of smokies), I can't do it all at one time. I will like to start the last weekend of feb 08, but i will consider changin thar start. reply here or e-mail me at [email protected].

She hailed from the same area.

the_iceman
01-06-2008, 20:22
Then get a pack that holds it with little room to spare. Look at Gregory packs. They make a number of women specfic packs and have GREAT customer service.

maxNcathy
01-06-2008, 20:37
Jimmy, check out Gossamer Gear.

88BlueGT
01-14-2008, 02:04
Check out the ULA Catalyst. I've heard nothing but excellent things about and it was even declared backpackers best "thru-hiking" packpack. I plan on using it for my thru in 09.

rafe
01-14-2008, 11:05

Don't worry about your pack quite yet. Get the rest of your gear together. Get a cheap, decent pack... any kind. Go backpacking. Figure out what gear works for you and what doesn't, with a view to always lightening your load.

When you figure out what goes in the pack, then it's time to start looking for packs. If, by the time of your thru-hike, you've mastered "ultra-light" hiking, then that will lead you to a certain range of pack choices. Or you may find that you're in some other category, leading to different choices.

For what it's worth, check out the websites for ULA and Granite Gear. They make nice packs that are popular among thru-hikers in the "light-weight" (not-quite-ultralight) category.

bearbag hanger
01-14-2008, 11:19
Ditto on the ULA Catalyst
(http://www.ula-equipment.com/). BUT, get what works for you. The two most important criteria for a pack is fit and the ability to comfortably hold what you plan to carry, weight wise. Try to get the smallest pack that can carry all your stuff. During a thru hike, you'll be mailing back stuff you figured out you don't need. Be sure it doesn't put most of the weight on your shoulders. A good fitting pack should tranfer most of the weight to the hips. Another way to say this is look for good load lifters. Pass on the packs that don't have hipbelts until you have a lot more experience and know you can handle them.

You'll have to go to an outfitter to figure all this out and not too many outfitters carry ULA, but there are a couple. Another brand to look at is Granite Gear, which is carried by more stores. Gregory also has some good packs, but they also have some bad models. Be careful, some outfitters will sell you the most expensive, heaviest pack they have in stock. If they do, it's best to find another outfitter somewhere else. Try to find a pack around the two to three pounds in weight, maybe around 3,500 to 4000 cu in, or about 60 - 65 liters.

Hope this helps,

tomsawyer222
01-14-2008, 11:36
Dont forget feathered friends for a good sleeping bag to put in your pack they are up there with the best

yappy
01-14-2008, 11:44
i am about your size and the granite gear vapor works well for me. the pockets aren't so great but the fit is superb...agree feathered friends makes a GREAT sleeping bag.