PDA

View Full Version : Personal pocket heater

tritonl
01-03-2008, 17:03
Has anyone used one of these on the trail? I had one when I was a child and I remember it got nice and hot on a small amount of lighter fluid. It would be really nice to have during the cold nights early in the year.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 17:16
The very best personal pocket heater:

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html

rafe
01-03-2008, 17:21
The very best personal pocket heater:

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html

Everything comes around to that, doesn't it, TAK? Troll.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 17:24
Everything comes around to that, doesn't it, TAK? Troll.

oh. like you've never been off topic. :cool: nice piece. i like the all black one

tritonl
01-03-2008, 17:34
Ohh, wow, another productive response from the peanut gallery.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 17:36
oh. like you've never been off topic. :cool: nice piece. i like the all black one

Me too.

zelph
01-03-2008, 17:39
Has anyone used one of these on the trail? I had one when I was a child and I remember it got nice and hot on a small amount of lighter fluid. It would be really nice to have during the cold nights early in the year.

I tried alcohol in mine but it did'nt work the way it suppose to. It got hot and then got hotter and then started to leak fuel and then all_____ broke out. Another failure:eek: (I did'nt want to carry an additional fuel)

I then converted a Zippo lighter into a nose warmer but that was shot down by our EPA experts. I now use it for a conversation piece. The thread is somewhere in the DIY gear section.

Edited to show thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20370&highlight=nose+warmer

Bob S
01-04-2008, 01:51
I picked up 6 of the Jon-E brand heaters at a local flee market. My son and I use them when hiking in the winter. They get very hot, so hot you have to keep them in the cloth bag or you get burnt. I tried denatured alcohol in them and it worked ok, it had a different smell then the lighter fluid and did not last as long. With lighter fluid these things will run for 6-hrs or more. Alcohol lasted only a few hrs.

4eyedbuzzard
01-04-2008, 02:04
I tried alcohol in mine but it did'nt work the way it suppose to. It got hot and then got hotter and then started to leak fuel and then all_____ broke out. Another failure:eek: (I did'nt want to carry an additional fuel)

I then converted a Zippo lighter into a nose warmer but that was shot down...

"It got hot and then got hotter and then started to leak fuel and then all_____ broke out..."

And you wanted something of similar design near your face?:eek:

turtle fast
01-04-2008, 02:17
Better yet get one of those chemical reactive ones....where you open the package and expose it to air...heats up by chemical reaction. I use them alot and have used it in my sleeping bags on one extremely cold winter camping trip....but got the best sleeep ever of my life that night and was tosty warm! I slept for 10 straight hours and felt like a million bucks afterward....everyone else had already packed up and left me at my campsite as they were all too cold!! Also the ingredients are basic non-toxic not something you want to dump into the environment, but if it happened it wouldent hurt anything.