PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hiker - Possibly in WV - now found in LA

looking4matt
01-03-2008, 17:56
Matt is an active outdoorsman. He is 27 yrs old, 5'9' 170 pounds. He has been missing since Friday, Dec 28. We have no idea if he went off to hike. His card was last used to buy camping equipment at a Target in Barboursville, WV on Sunday. He could be near that area. He never goes camping for long without alerting friends and family. We haven't heard from him and therefore we are very concerned with his safety. Please look for his 1995 Blue Chevy Astro Van KMU-5010 and his dog, Sully (black & white). They are the keys to finding him. If you think you see him please call the Roanoke police: 540-853-2212

News Article:

Roanoke City Police tell us Matthew Garrett was last seen making a delivery for Next Generation BillIards in Lynchburg, around 1:30 p.m. On December 28th.

Monday, police released a picture of the company van that Garrett drove. It's a 1995 Chevrolet, with Virginia license plate KMU-5010.

If you've seen the van or Garrett, call police.

Matthew's family is understandably worried over his disappearance. They say Matt's dog Sully is with him, and that he would never go this long without calling his friends or family.

"The key to finding Matthew is going to be somebody spotting that van, or possibly his dog Sully,"Garrett's father, Bob Garrett, told us.

matthew's parents say he often wears dark rimmed glasses.”

Added by Frolicking Dino: This man was found unharmed in New Orleans, LA.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2008, 18:26
Here is a link to a website about this missing hiker:http://www.mattismissing.com/
and a picture of him and the van:

Edited to remove pictures of man and van as they are no longer needed

AlwaysHiking
01-03-2008, 19:02
It's been a bad week for hikers... very destrubing to hear of two going missing back to back.

Sending good thoughts and good vibes out to anyone involved and hoping that Matthew is found safe.

HIKER7s
01-04-2008, 07:36
any news on this guy?

travis71
01-04-2008, 09:28
I live about 30-45 minutes from Barboursville. After work I will swing by a local state forest, & drive through the camping area. I think its closed for the winter, but will give it a look.

If the original poster reads this again... is Matt a camper? We have had a cold snap & a good bit of snow the past 3 days. Schools have been closed & night time temps in the teens. I dont think a non camper would try to muscle out the weather, but would seek shelter.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-04-2008, 09:32
From the web site:

Matt has contacted us and let us know where he is. His father, Bob, is on the first flight out of Roanoke to meet him and bring home his son. Thank you for all of your prayers and support which have made this miracle possible.

HIKER7s
01-04-2008, 09:46
FOUND! great

Now lets get that word against the other missing person's fate (along with alive)

Marta
01-04-2008, 10:34
Very good news.

d'shadow
01-07-2008, 15:29
Always a good idea to leave detailed information with someone you trust before leaving for a hike. Give vechicle info, trail head, planned trails taken, and a time you intend to return, along with numbers for ranger notification incase you do not return on time. Anything can happen, even to an experienced hiker, having someone out there knowing where you are can save a life.

Tin Man
01-07-2008, 15:32
Always a good idea to leave detailed information with someone you trust before leaving for a hike. Give vechicle info, trail head, planned trails taken, and a time you intend to return, along with numbers for ranger notification incase you do not return on time. Anything can happen, even to an experienced hiker, having someone out there knowing where you are can save a life.

And don't forget to leave your trail name with your itinerary. My wife still asks me if I forget to jot it down.

Sly
01-07-2008, 15:35
So where was he, on a bender?

Midway Sam
01-07-2008, 15:37
So where was he, on a bender?

That would be my guess...

http://new.wset.com/showstory2.hrb?f=n&s=485297&f1=loc

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-07-2008, 15:43
This was posted as a missing hiker because the man's last used of his ATM card was in WV at a Target - he bought camping equipment. It is my understanding that the ATM card was not subsequently used until the young man contacted his family.

Sly
01-07-2008, 15:50
This was posted as a missing hiker because the man's last used of his ATM card was in WV at a Target - he bought camping equipment. It is my understanding that the ATM card was not subsequently used until the young man contacted his family.

That makes sense...

RITBlake
01-07-2008, 16:17
I'm happy for Matt but I thought this was going to be about a different hiker :(

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-07-2008, 16:18
I've changed the name of this thread under the circumstances
I'm happy for Matt but I thought this was going to be about a different hiker :(