PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Penn-Mar and Gathland St. Pk.

handlebar
01-03-2008, 21:11
I'm planning a shuttle hike in late January along a section of the AT from Gathland State Park to Penn-Mar. Does anyone know if it's OK to leave cars at those two locations? :-?

Don H
01-03-2008, 23:21
Pen Mar is is OK for parking. You have to park in the lot across from the entrance gate. I've not heard of anyone having a problem there.

handlebar
01-04-2008, 10:48
Thanks Don, Anyone know about Gathland? When I passed there on my thru there was parking near the picnic area. I just need to know if it's OK and if I need to notify the authorities.

wilconow
01-04-2008, 10:56
call them.

Gathland State Park
c/o Greenbrier State Park
21843 National Pike
Boonsboro, MD 21713-9535
Phone (301) 791-4767
Fax (301) 791-0962

handlebar
01-19-2008, 12:13
Just thought I'd post the response I got from the folks at Greenbrier re: parking. The indication was that the parking area is open and it's no problem. They did ask us to post a note in the window with our expected time of return.

Skyline
01-19-2008, 12:31
Just thought I'd post the response I got from the folks at Greenbrier re: parking. The indication was that the parking area is open and it's no problem. They did ask us to post a note in the window with our expected time of return.

Unless it's a very secure lot (guarded or perhaps locked after dark) I would never follow that advice.

Think about it: You have an advertisement in your window that broadcasts the fact that you won't be back for several days to any potential thief.

I understand why they may want to know that you're a long-term parker so they don't treat your vehicle as abandoned or trespassing, but there must be a better way to handle it through the Park office. Some places that hikers park, for example, ask you to fill out a short form they keep on file listing your name, make/model, license number, anticipated return date, and a way to get in touch with you or someone who knows you if the vehicle remains much beyond your scheduled return date.

dessertrat
01-19-2008, 12:36
I also hate leaving a note that effectively says "dear thief: if you really need all four tires and wheels from my car, but are afraid someone might see you if you do it during the day, then please return at 2 a.m., as the car will still be here."

Brushy Sage
01-19-2008, 19:54

Did you ask them specifically about Gathland? Several of the state parks in the South Mountains are administered out of Greenbrier.

Topcat
01-19-2008, 20:10
I have parked at Gathland several times with no problems. We called ahead and they said it was ok. Washtington Monument State Park has hiker parking lot next to the youth camping area with a gate that is locked at night. You can pay to park at Harper's Ferry at the visitor center, just let them know how long you will be out. The parking area i am antsy about is Weaverton because i have heard of break ins there but that was years ago.

Purple Hayes
01-19-2008, 20:52
I parked at Gathland last weekend with no problems they have two lots and plenty of parking. Make sure to get water at the park by the bathrooms , in front of the soda machines,there is a no freeze spigot. Crampton gap shelter spring is dry.Any questions on the area drop a line.

firemonkey
08-31-2008, 00:45
You can park at Penn Mar with a permit at no cost from the washington County parks and rec office, all you have to do is call give them your info. the lot is not secure however the locals next to the park will watch you car, I had a local man come and ask me when i would be returning he said he ask all the hikers so he know to keep an eye out for any vandels

Newb
02-06-2009, 09:19
he said he ask all the hikers so he know to keep an eye out for any vandels

I fear the VisiGoths more.

Tinker
02-06-2009, 17:31
I once put this note in my windshield while on a short hike in Maine: "Will be back soon, no dope or money in car. Money at home, dopes in the woods".
Oh, it was winter and the snow was 4-6 feet deep there. :D

Borrow an old shotgun case and leave it open on the back seat. That should work as well as a "For Sale" sign on your car with the message that it "needs work". Use your actual cell phone number in case someone is actually dumb enough to call you to find out where you are. You will, of course, be "just a couple of minutes away". ;)