PDA

View Full Version : Ziploc Baggies vs. Kroger Brand

J5man
01-03-2008, 22:31
I am still experimenting with trail cooking and especially freezer bag cooking. FYI - Ziploc quart size bags are a little wider than Kroger brand. Why does this matter you ask? I am using the 2 qt. polypropelene container with screw on lid (Kroger brand) as a "cozy". After it's ready to eat, the ideal thing is to be able to "roll" the baggie over the lip of the container. The Kroger baggies are too narrow to do this but the Ziploc brand will do it. (See Skidster's video demo on cooking and making coffee to see). Also, as always, Sarbar is the hands down authority on freezer bag cooking, so check out her posts and website for all you need to know (www.freezerbagcooking.com (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com))

Cuffs
01-03-2008, 22:41
Zip Loc of course! (Also because I own stock in SCJohnson!)

hopefulhiker
01-03-2008, 23:06
Zip Lock but not the ones that are heavy duty...

Cuffs
01-03-2008, 23:18
On a more serious note... I have done home testing of knock-off brands and find that they (the knock offs) fail at the corners when adding hot water to food...

J5man
01-03-2008, 23:21
Yes, it seems here at least what I found so far too is that this is a scenariou where branded is better than generic.

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2008, 00:44
zip lock leak, freezer bag and vacume will hold up for months.

jlb2012
01-04-2008, 08:49
On a more serious note... I have done home testing of knock-off brands and find that they (the knock offs) fail at the corners when adding hot water to food...

"Fail at the corners" - this may be a sign that you are zipping the top all the way closed - I have had good luck with the generic brand sandwich bags that I use but I learned to never zip them all the way closed and to pour the hot water in while the bag is already in the cozy so as to give the bag extra support. Zipping the bag all the way closed tends to build considerable air pressure in the bag as the hot water heats the remaining air in the bag.

headchange4u
01-04-2008, 10:35
I have used store brand and Zip Lock brand bags. I have had more failure at the seams with Zip Lock than any other brand and I have found store brands tend to leak at the zipper or the seam fails.

I now use the light blue Glad freezer bags. I have used hundreds with no leaks or failures yet.

sarbar
01-04-2008, 11:44
My personal favorite is the above mentioned blueish green colored Glad bags. I use Ziploc ones as well. Not a huge fan of off brands due to how narrow and tall they make them.

lonehiker
01-04-2008, 12:50
Last summer I experimented with the Glad Twist-Tie gallon storage bags. (Albertson's brand calls them Food and Bread storage bags). They appear somewhat flimsy, but I had no problems with leaking. I put them in my cozy before adding water. Another great advantage to these is that I can pull the bags opening outside of the cozy so that I can get to the bottom easier.

lonehiker
01-04-2008, 12:51
These bags are also significantly cheaper than the zip-lock bags.