PDA

View Full Version : Durango to Denver vs. Denver to Durango?

makeyourself303
01-04-2008, 05:09
Hi, I'm a 17 year old kid and I am planning on doing a thru hike of the CT this summer. I am planning on beginning in Durango and finishing in Denver so I could do the trail with a friend coming from california. I have read in multiple places that it is harder and not a enjoyable as the other way around. The elevation gain is much greater starting in Durango, and the fact that you finish in Waterton Canyon compared to the mountains of Durango isn't as majestic. I have lived in Colorado all my life and elevation has never been a problem. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a first hand opinion of this aspect of the CT. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sly
01-04-2008, 05:16
I've hiked lots in CO on the CDT but haven't connected the ends of the CT, yet. If I were do do the CT end to end I'd definitely hike Denver to Durango for all the reasons you stated.

You can work it out with your friend to do the same.

makeyourself303
01-04-2008, 05:18
thanks alot man, i will definitely talk it over with him and i should be able to convince him

Sly
01-04-2008, 05:21
thanks alot man, i will definitely talk it over with him and i should be able to convince him

No problem. The only difference in logistics that I can see are getting to and from the trailheads.

How does he plan on getting to CO?

mudhead
01-04-2008, 07:21
Not much different driving to Durango vs Denver. It is a haul either way.
Even if its way southern CA, they will need a parking spot.

Mags
01-04-2008, 11:59
I'd start in Denver for all the reasons you mentioned. Seems like you've done your homework. I will add that though you've lived in Colorado, your buddy may be coming from a lower elevation. Starting from Denever will ease him into higher elevations.

makeyourself303
01-04-2008, 15:33
my friend that is coming from california is actually from colorado, he is just going to be out in california for a few months and is coming back by bus. starting in durango would be much easier for him because it would be about a 40 dollar cheaper bus fare, and the drive would be 7 hours less. It would also be better because we both live in fort collins so there would be lot more convienence from ending in denver vs. durango. But still considerng all of these things I do think that it would be a better idea to end in durango mainly because of the beauty compared to denver.

Bearpaw
01-04-2008, 16:01
my friend that is coming from california is actually from colorado, he is just going to be out in california for a few months and is coming back by bus.

A couple of thoughts spring to mind. If your friend is coming from the California coast or any place at low elevation, he will still need some time to re-acclimate to the elevation. If he hasn't been backpacking through mountains while he is there, he will likely appreciate the somewhat mellower walking of the first few days from Denver as well. Thus I would recommend the Denver to Durango route.

Also, do you already have ride set to pick you up in Denver? If not, it is a crappy way to end a hike, walking 8 miles of gravel road festooned with mountain bikers, only to end at a parking lot 12 miles from Denver proper. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting a ride since the lot had LOTS of bikers even on the Wednesday I started, but then you have to get around Denver, which can be a chore. If you finish in Durango, you can probably get an easy 3-mile ride to town and the trolley makes in easy to navigate around.

Why not ask your friend to take the bus to Durango, then pick him up there?

In any event, I was VERY glad I hiked the CT south-bound.

makeyourself303
01-04-2008, 16:07
my friend is going to be doing alot of backpacking while he is out there and is always in shape so that shouldn't be a problem. However I can see then eleveation being a problem for him after being in california for 2-3 months. i do think that i am going to do it the southbound route after hearing all of you guys clarify what i had been told previously. i was also wondering where the worst part of the trail was for bikers? i have also been told of a few bad spots for atv's and motorcycles? as much information you guys can give me goes a long way so i really appreciate it, thanks.

Sly
01-04-2008, 17:01
The area south of Tin Cup Pass was the worst for ATV's and motocycles and Monach Pass to Marshall Pass for mountain bikes, but they're not as troublesome as the motorized vehicles.

I didn't go but some others raved about the hiker friendly town of Tin Cup. Next time through I plan on checking it out.

Sly
01-04-2008, 17:11
my friend that is coming from california is actually from colorado, he is just going to be out in california for a few months and is coming back by bus. starting in durango would be much easier for him because it would be about a 40 dollar cheaper bus fare, and the drive would be 7 hours less.

On Greyhound with a 14 day advanced noticed, from CA the prices are $73 to Fort Collins and and $64 to Durango.

The fares from Durango to Fort Collins which may be harder to determine the travel date are noted below...

makeyourself303
01-04-2008, 17:24
On Greyhound with a 14 day advanced noticed, from CA the prices are $73 to Fort Collins and and $64 to Durango.

The fares from Durango to Fort Collins which may be harder to determine the travel date are noted below...
it must have been because i did it within the 14 day notice. and i have actually done a day ike on tin cup pass and there were tons of atv's and motorcycle's. still a beautiful place though.

yappy
01-04-2008, 20:04
Denver to Durango.. i agree. Much more scenic way to end your hike.

DCHiker
01-04-2008, 20:09
If I had the choice I'd end in Durango... It'll be a great place to relax after the hike.

ARambler
01-04-2008, 23:01
I may be the only hiker who was glad to hike down Waterton Canyon, but I'll put in a plug for for northbound, especially for late season hikers. Early season hikers should go southbound to avoid lingering snow and bugs in southwest CO in June.
You should also consider whether you want to hike home or away from home. Based on the Appalachian Trail it seems like slightly more like to hike (toward) home, but I think hiking away from home is generally best. It holds out the option of emergency aid if you have problems early.
So, if there are no big logistical factors, going south may be slightly better for you.
Rambler

Taba
12-27-2008, 23:06
When I thru-hiked the CT in 2007 I went from Denver to Durango. I was told that going the way I was going that the trail got better every day. I didn't really beleive them because the day I heard that was also the day when I thought I had seen the most beautiful country and mountain views I had ever seen. Then I woke up the next day and to my delight the man who told me that was right. From then on to the end of the trail I kept asking how can it get better than this. Every day was better than the one before. I also beleive that the acclimation process going this way is much easier because you will start at 5,000' hike up to 7,000' and then down to 6,000' to camp. Wake up and hike to 8,000' and camp at 7,000' and so on until you get up to the 11,000' to 12,000' range. By that time the you should be used to the altitude.
I have hiked over 4,000 miles and thru-hiked 4 long-distance trails and the only I wanted to go back and do again was the Colorado Trail. It was so awesome I wanted to see it all again just to make sure it was real. I never did re-hike the CT but instead went to NC for the Mountains to Sea Trail in 2008. I am going to re-hike the MST in 2009 because I wrote a thru-hiker's manual for the trail and want to make sure all of my information is correct.

Good Luck and enjoy everyday!!!!

fiddlehead
12-28-2008, 00:25
I too will vote for the Denver to Durango being the better of the two although not a real big deal.
I started in Denver, hiked to route 50 (Salada) and then flip flopped. I saw a ton of southbounders that way. I had only seen 2 or 3 other hikers going towards Durango.
I agree the trail would get better everyday going Denver-Durango and durango is a much better place to finish.

Have a great hike. It's a fun trail.
Personally i would jump on the CDT where it crosses over a lot. It is more scenic and more above treeline.

fta
12-28-2008, 11:54
i started in durango last year and i wouldnt do it again if i could help it i will definatly start in denver next year