03-31-2008, 17:25
Yep, figured it must've been a cold day. ;) Do I know my man or what? :D

36 above zero F...is a cold day?

IMO that is a warm day.

dixicritter
03-31-2008, 17:28
36 above zero F...is a cold day?

IMO that is a warm day.

OK I'm sure for you it's a heat wave Steve. ;) Good to see ya btw. I admit I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold. :D

mudhead
03-31-2008, 17:29
Tell Rock the hippie beard thing is coming along nicely. Should need a scunnci by NH.

dixicritter
03-31-2008, 17:30
Tell Rock the hippie beard thing is coming along nicely. Should need a scunnci by NH.

Will do! :)

peanuts
03-31-2008, 19:45
he looks soooo skinny.....i am glad he is having a good time!

warraghiyagey
03-31-2008, 21:09
he looks soooo skinny.....i am glad he is having a good time!

Yes, he is loooking gooo oood. Can't wait to meet him in the NE.;)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

warren doyle
04-01-2008, 11:19
Wow! That sure stirred things up.

"For the record I could have deleted Warren's offensive post, and have deleted one already from this thread where he was being ugly towards Rock and myself."

Ugly? Just for suggesting that I forded Stony Creek, as others do (even in 'high' water), rather than taking the road walk?

I'll change it to "D******** Housewives" now.

Two Speed
04-01-2008, 11:23

"For the record I could have deleted Warren's offensive post, and have deleted one already from this thread where he was being ugly towards Rock and myself."

Ugly? Just for suggesting that I forded Stony Creek, as others do (even in 'high' water), rather than taking the road walk?

I'll change it to "D******** Housewives" now.Paranoia sure is a pain in the neck, ain't it, Warren?

Thru Hiker Wife
04-01-2008, 11:23

I'll change it to "D******** Housewives" now.

I have one comment...you're an arse! Nough said.

Alligator
04-01-2008, 11:26
Go away Warren:p. This thread is about the respect and admiration we hold for Sgt. Rock, things you crave but never will get.

warren doyle
04-01-2008, 11:45
Interesting reaction.
Can we get an objective thread reader/critic in here please?

Hooch
04-01-2008, 11:49
Warren, you're such a dickhead. As someone else here posted, this thread is about SGT Rock's progress on his thru and the admiration and respect that most here hold for the man. He's doing this after serving his country for 20+ years, something you obviously don't know anything about. Just go away, for chrissakes. If you want to pick on someone, at least be man enough not to do it while he is inabsentia. Take your cyberballs elsewhere and rain on someone else's parade.

Two Speed
04-01-2008, 11:50
Go away Warren:p. This thread is about the respect and admiration we hold for Sgt. Rock, things you crave but never will get.Oh, yeah, I forgot the envy option. That's gotta be tough in combination with paranoia.

Jaybird62
04-01-2008, 11:53
Interesting reaction.

I have never met either of you. I think d.c. is going through enough right now without having to read a distasteful attempt at humor like that. Bad Form....

Jaybird62
04-01-2008, 11:53
Dixie, I am glad to hear that Rock is doing great!!!

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 12:24
Well actually I do have an update... Not good news... and no this is not an April fools gag. I just got off the phone with SGT Rock and he asked me to post this, he's looking for a ride into Glasgow, VA. He needs to get home to get to the doctor. His left ankle isn't healing, it is getting worse and now his knee is starting to go. So thus ends his thru. He's hoping someone will read this that can come rescue him or knows someone in the area. He's trying to get to the bus station in either Lynchburg or Roanoke.

Again, this is Not an April Fool's joke! He's pretty bummed, but said that the hike has become more like a job than fun anymore so he's ready to call it quits. He's gotten out of it what he wanted, so he's ready to come home. His words.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 12:27
i'd go get him but my truck has been in the shop for a week. clutch and tranny problems. call or PM hikerhead. i'd bet he'd do it

Hooch
04-01-2008, 12:27
Well actually I do have an update... Not good news... and no this is not an April fools gag. I just got off the phone with SGT Rock and he asked me to post this, he's looking for a ride into Glasgow, VA. He needs to get home to get to the doctor. His left ankle isn't healing, it is getting worse and now his knee is starting to go. So thus ends his thru. He's hoping someone will read this that can come rescue him or knows someone in the area. He's trying to get to the bus station in either Lynchburg or Roanoke.

Again, this is Not an April Fool's joke! He's pretty bummed, but said that the hike has become more like a job than fun anymore so he's ready to call it quits. He's gotten out of it what he wanted, so he's ready to come home. His words.Discretion is the better part of valor, so they say. I'm sorry Rock's thru has come to an end, but he's gotta have his knees and ankles. If no one can get him, let me know, I'll personally go pick him up, feed him and give him a ride home.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-01-2008, 12:28

Again, this is Not an April Fool's joke! He's pretty bummed, but said that the hike has become more like a job than fun anymore so he's ready to call it quits. He's gotten out of it what he wanted, so he's ready to come home. His words.

Sorry to hear of the medical problems and that he's coming off the trail. It sounds like he is ready though and I'm sure you'll be happy to have him home.

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 12:39
Thanks y'all. I appreciate all the help so far!

deeddawg
04-01-2008, 12:43
Interesting reaction.

Sure. I don't know you, I don't know Sgt Rock, I don't know the creek.

It seems you've made ill timed and unfunny attempts at humor. Mixing in a snarky comment putting down Sgt Rock didn't help matters.

I'd say either drop it an move on, or better yet apologize to those involved even if you didn't intend to ruffle feathers.

[...] Ugly? Just for suggesting that I forded Stony Creek, as others do (even in 'high' water), rather than taking the road walk?

That's not strictly true, at least not as I read it. Your post referring to the ford as being less difficult than several other fords, then tacking on "The Few, The Proud, The Forders." presents an air of snarky superiority that probably didn't sit well since you weren't there. Other posts indicated a swollen creek and snow in the air. Most people facing a washed out bridge on a relatively unfamiliar creek in such conditions would realize the danger of at least hypothermia if not that of being washed away and drowning.

Such a drowning happened in my home town a few years ago when a couple college kids were in a gorge this time of year and found themselves on sheet ice next to a rain-melt swollen creek. A rescuer tried to get to them without waiting for other help or proper equipment and slipped into the creek. They found his body a few days later. The creek is normally a few inches deep and no danger to anyone.

Just my opinion.

Two Speed
04-01-2008, 12:43
. . . but said that the hike has become more like a job than fun anymore so he's ready to call it quits. He's gotten out of it what he wanted, so he's ready to come home. His words.Well, crap. There goes the best journal this year.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 12:47
Warren, you've outed yourself and shown your true colors. It is time to go away and try to find someplace where most everyone doesn't know what sort of person you really are. You've managed to convince pretty much the entirety of WB that you are less-than-desirable company. Go find some sycophants who don't know you yet. You are viewed with pity - not admiration --- a trail has-been with a mean / paranoid streak. While you have scads of knowledge about the trail and about slackpacking (not too much on backpacking as most of your trail miles didn't involve backpacking), you almost never contribute anything positive to forum - you only comment to sit up scat or to draw fire from others and then scream 'foul' when your tactics work. You've threatened to leave numerous times --- Speaking as a forum member - not in any official capacity at this forum - please make good on your promise... er... I mean threat... to leave.

Now, back to the topic of this thread - I'm very proud of you Rock for what you have done. I saw your ankles and I know what it is to hike with that kind of pain. You have gone way more miles in experience than many who hiked up Katahdin.

Rock, you are still one of my heros. I'll save all the lovin' and admiring glances for when you are here in person.

::: Dino curls a loving tail around Dixi and awaits Rock's return :::

PS - I could go to Bristol TN / Abingdon area to get Rock if someone can get him that far. He-Dino has an important Doc appointment tomorrow and I have to be back here for that.

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 13:01
I want to thank everyone for the wonderful response! Rock is making his way to Glasgow, where Hooch is going to pick him up for me. Thank you once again Hooch!

Hikerhead
04-01-2008, 13:02

I can get him down to Damascus. I'm trying to reach him now.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-01-2008, 13:03
I want to thank everyone for the wonderful response! Rock is making his way to Glasgow, where Hooch is going to pick him up for me. Thank you once again Hooch!

Yeah! The hero comes home! You guys enjoy his homecoming. We;re all so proud of him as I know you are too!

Hooch
04-01-2008, 13:05
I can get him down to Damascus. I'm trying to reach him now.If you can get him to Damascus, I can get him there and get him home. I'll PM you my #, ok?

envirodiver
04-01-2008, 13:16
Tough break. Nothing that can be done about injury.

Not to mention trying to do something as difficult as a thru hike under the microscope that he has been under. It seems that would make it even a bit more difficult.

Hope I get to see him out on the BMT this spring and/or summer

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 13:18
Yeah! The hero comes home! You guys enjoy his homecoming. We;re all so proud of him as I know you are too!

Absolutely! :)

Hikerhead
04-01-2008, 13:20
I talked to Hooch and Rock. I'll pick him up today after work and drive him down to Dots in Damascus where Hooch is going to pick him up and drive him home.

Sorry to hear this.

Hooch
04-01-2008, 13:22
I talked to Hooch and Rock. I'll pick him up today after work and drive him down to Dots in Damascus where Hooch is going to pick him up and drive him home.

Sorry to hear this.Sounds like a plan. See y'all a little later.

Jaybird62
04-01-2008, 13:23
I hope his ankle and knee recover soon.....

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 13:30

Sorry to hear this.

Sounds like a plan. See y'all a little later.

You guys are awesome! Drive safely!

Hooch
04-01-2008, 13:31
Offa here and on the road in a lil bit. Safe journey to Hikerhead and Rock.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 13:32
Offa here and on the road in a lil bit. Safe journey to Hikerhead and Rock.

what's Rock's ETA at Dot's?

Tin Man
04-01-2008, 13:38
Major bummer! :(

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 13:41

Hikerhead is picking him up after he gets off work, not sure what time he said. Rock is trying to make his way to Glasgow in the mean time. I don't know exactly when they plan on getting there but I figure it will be later this evening. I don't expect to see Hooch and Rock until probably very late tonight.

Sly
04-01-2008, 13:45
Say it ain't so! I think he should give his ankle time to heal and get back on when some of the pack catches up. Maybe hike southbound. New England is not to be missed.

But, I'll honor his decision. I'm good like that. ;)

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 13:49
Oh he'll never give up hiking. You can count on that. :)

d'shadow
04-01-2008, 14:01
Glad to know he is okay and coming home. Injuries can happen at any time and I'm so sorry he was unable to continue his hike. I really enjoyed following his adventure and thank both of you for sharing your experiences. Dixie, you have been very brave and a good sport, and SGT Rock, what an adventure. Hope your injuries heal quickly and will be glad to see you posting on WB again. Welcome back:welcome

Hikerhead
04-01-2008, 14:05

Aound 11pm. One beer and heading back home. Do they have pool tables there? :)

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 14:07
Aound 11pm. One beer and heading back home. Do they have pool tables there? :)

No pool and she'll be closed by then

Hikerhead
04-01-2008, 14:10
No pool and she'll be closed by then

That's probably a good thing.

Hikerhead
04-01-2008, 15:15
By chance is there anyone Glasgow/Lexington that could pick up Rock and bring him to Roanoke, the Hollins college exit # 146???

Hikerhead
04-01-2008, 15:28
OK...Thoughtful Owl came thru..Thanks! ..He's going to be picking Rock up in about 30 minutes and bringing him here where I work. So we can head for Damascus at around 5:30 and should be there at around 7:30. I'll try to reach Hooch.

wakapak
04-01-2008, 15:34
ya know....i love how this community pulls together! ya'll are so awesome!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 15:34
OK - Thoughtful Owl is picking up Rock in about 30 minutes and taking him to Hikerhead in Roanoke area. HikerHead is taking Rock to Damascus and Hooch is driving from KY to Damascus, meeting them and bringing him home to Dixi and the boys.

Dixi has her hands full right now so I'm passing this on.

The hiking community is awesome. That is all.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-01-2008, 15:46
OK - Thoughtful Owl is picking up Rock in about 30 minutes and taking him to Hikerhead in Roanoke area. HikerHead is taking Rock to Damascus and Hooch is driving from KY to Damascus, meeting them and bringing him home to Dixi and the boys.

Dixi has her hands full right now so I'm passing this on.

The hiking community is awesome. That is all.

Excellent. I'm sure they're all worked up about daddy getting home.

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 15:58
I haven't even had a chance to tell the boys yet. The oldest isn't even home from school yet. I might as well wait and tell them both at the same time now. lol.

Y'all have no idea just how overwhelmed I am by all this right now. The response has just knocked me over... Y'all are the best! The words "Thank You" just don't seem to cover it, but I can't seem to stop saying them.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-01-2008, 16:03
I haven't even had a chance to tell the boys yet. The oldest isn't even home from school yet. I might as well wait and tell them both at the same time now. lol.

Y'all have no idea just how overwhelmed I am by all this right now. The response has just knocked me over... Y'all are the best! The words "Thank You" just don't seem to cover it, but I can't seem to stop saying them.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/hug006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) Love ya babe!

Y'all have a good night. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/hug014.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org):D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 16:03
Think you'd better let Creek Hopper finish his homework before you tell him - he will be way too excited to finish once he knows.

warraghiyagey
04-01-2008, 16:09
I'm sure I'm in a looooong line of folks who will be glad to have Rock back around.:sun:sun

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 16:55
Update...

I talked to the boys, and they are the best boys a parent could ask for, as if I didn't already know that. Their first concern was if their dad was OK with coming off the trail or not. Then they were concerned about his ankle. I reassured them on both points of course.

I also just spoke with Rock. He has been picked up by Thoughtful Owl and they are in route to Roanoke to drop him off with Hikerhead. He sounded relieved to be on his way home.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 16:56
i'll wait on him at dot's

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 17:04
Dino pokes nose into thread to echo what Dixi said about the boys - they are really neat. Bet Dixi has trouble getting them to go to bed tonight (before Daddy's home)

A-Train
04-01-2008, 17:09
Sorry to hear the hike is coming to a close. Was looking forward to showering you with magic up in NY, Rock, but 'twas not to be I guess.

A thru-hike ending injury is devastating. I had to quit the PCT in 06' cuz of it; it made every day miserable and feeling like work.

Was the hike feeling like work before you got injured? If so, you made the right decision. The trail will only feel more like work thru the Mid-Atlantic-then it is a mental challenge. But if it was the effects of the injury, as Sly said, maybe you can eventually get back on the horse.

I can imagine you probably miss your fam after being away from them so much. Whatever you decided to do, you've got my respect for acting on a dream and all of your meticulous planning.

WB will continue to enjoy you-either here or from afar. Katahdin is just a mountain.

Tin Man
04-01-2008, 17:21
Here's hoping Rock gets put back together quickly and made stronger than before. If more of the trail is in the cards this year, great. If not, then another time - the trail isn't going anywhere. :cool:

Hikerhead
04-01-2008, 17:25
Sorry to hear the hike is coming to a close. Was looking forward to showering you with magic up in NY, Rock, but 'twas not to be I guess.

A thru-hike ending injury is devastating. I had to quit the PCT in 06' cuz of it; it made every day miserable and feeling like work.

Was the hike feeling like work before you got injured? If so, you made the right decision. The trail will only feel more like work thru the Mid-Atlantic-then it is a mental challenge. But if it was the effects of the injury, as Sly said, maybe you can eventually get back on the horse.

I can imagine you probably miss your fam after being away from them so much. Whatever you decided to do, you've got my respect for acting on a dream and all of your meticulous planning.

WB will continue to enjoy you-either here or from afar. Katahdin is just a mountain.

I don't think anybody said that it was over with. He's going to the doctor to have it checked out.

He'll be back out there.

Skidsteer
04-01-2008, 17:41
I don't think anybody said that it was over with. He's going to the doctor to have it checked out.

He'll be back out there.

Be nice to see.

I'm with Sly. A few week's rest can do wonders and Rock's already ahead of schedule.

Dixi, I bet if you tell him he has to moderate the Politics forum his subconcious mind will kick-start his body into healing. ;)

A-Train
04-01-2008, 17:43

He'll be back out there.

Check post 1016. His wife says "thus ends his thru".

Then I went on to say "maybe you can eventually get back on the horse".

Tin Man
04-01-2008, 17:53
Check post 1016. His wife says "thus ends his thru".

Then I went on to say "maybe you can eventually get back on the horse".

He says that now. Wait until he sleeps on it. Or spends a few nights in a warm house with hot running water and food that didn't start out dry as sand. Uh, wait, hmm. :-? We shall see and hear more after the doctor report, I suspect.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 18:28
Fellows, while I never say never.... what is going on with Rock is aggravation of some really old injuries and he's already tried coming off the trail a week to let it rest and heal.

Continuing on until you do permanent damage isn't smart, it isn't being tough - it being stupid. At this point, I doubt Rock goes back out to finish the entire trail this year -- I do believe he will finish the trail as a section hiker. It's all good.

Two Speed
04-01-2008, 18:29
. . . Dixi, I bet if you tell him he has to moderate the Politics forum his subconcious mind will kick-start his body into healing. ;)I'm gonna vote against that one. Might provoke him into getting back on the trail before he's healed up.

I know I'd run screaming from a threat like that.

Skidsteer
04-01-2008, 18:31
I'm gonna vote against that one. Might provoke him into getting back on the trail before he's healed up.

I know I'd run screaming from a threat like that.

Good point...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 18:33
:::: Dino wraps a loving tail around Skidsteer and Dixi - the unfortunate nannies in the political area ::::

Appalachian Tater
04-01-2008, 18:40
Well, this is a shame. Sounds like he's okay about it, though.

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 18:44
He assures me he is OK with this decision. From the sound of his voice, I'm taking him at his word. I'll know for sure when I see him. ;)

Two Speed
04-01-2008, 18:53
If anyone knows you should. Sucks that he had to get off for a while, but it must be nice to look forward to seeing the old boy around.

FD, as far as wrapping a loving tail around Skids & Dixi how about letting them borrow those Lorena Bobbitt shears when they're moderating the Politics forum? You can always wrap a loving tail around any survivors.

If they deserve it.

Blissful
04-01-2008, 19:26

Wow, this is so hard.

I'll tell you, I had to get off at the Blue Ridge Parkway after Daleville. Calf injury. So I understand. But after a week, I was back out again. In Mass I got off for an ankle injury and healed it up for 2 weeks and was back out.

So take heart!!! Try to get it healed up (go see a sports doc) and don't let Virginia beat you. There's plenty of time.

But section hiking is good too. Whatever you can do.

TOW
04-01-2008, 19:36

Man, that is not good news. But you know what Rock is going to be okay, he's going to heal up just fine. And what's going to help him is the love that you and the boys have for him.

I think you folks are some swell people........

TOW
04-01-2008, 19:42
OK...Thoughtful Owl came thru..Thanks! ..He's going to be picking Rock up in about 30 minutes and bringing him here where I work. So we can head for Damascus at around 5:30 and should be there at around 7:30. I'll try to reach Hooch.
heading to Dots right now............

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 19:46
TOW, give Rock a big 'ol Dino hug... and then give one to LW & Gypsy if she is around.... and Wonder. Sorry I missed you guys last trip. I did try to see you and Wonder.

saimyoji
04-01-2008, 20:27
Totally supportive and wishing the best for all about this whole thing....but it just smacks of a major "Gotcha" as it is April Fools Day. A little admin retribution? Either way, GO ROCK. :cool:

P

saimyoji
04-01-2008, 20:28
Totally supportive and wishing the best for all about this whole thing....but it just smacks of a major "Gotcha" as it is April Fools Day. A little admin retribution? Either way, GO ROCK. :cool:

P

PS (got cut off) Yes I did read Dixie's post about this NOT being a joke. But thats exactly what I'd say if it was a joke. :-?

TOW
04-01-2008, 20:37
Rock just rolled into town about a half hour ago with Hikerhead and Hooch is getting ready to take him home. He's looking pretty good.......

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 21:15
Saim - this is not a joke. Reptile's honor.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 21:17
Rock just rolled into town about a half hour ago with Hikerhead and Hooch is getting ready to take him home. He's looking pretty good.......

they all just left. was a good meeting. rock gave me a special gift :cool:
oh. i'm thinkin flip-flop

A-Train
04-01-2008, 21:26
they all just left. was a good meeting. rock gave me a special gift :cool:
oh. i'm thinkin flip-flop

Maybe he'd be the first to finish in Glasgow!

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 21:43
I also got a phone call from Rock saying they are on their way. We will get him to the doctor ASAP and get his ankle looked at.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 21:45
oh. i'm thinkin flip-flopReally?

Jaybird62
04-01-2008, 22:11
Rock rocks who cares if he finishes or not, I think thats up to him and his family to decide.......Rock, you got my respect and then some.......the same goes out to your wife....

Gray Blazer
04-01-2008, 22:14
Rock Rocks.

Thoughtful Owl
04-01-2008, 22:46
He assures me he is OK with this decision. From the sound of his voice, I'm taking him at his word. I'll know for sure when I see him. ;)

I picked Sgt. Rock up at Petites Gap this afternoon and shuttled him to Roanoke to meet up with Hikerhead. He looked good and was joveal (though a little hungry:)). Based upon our conversation in the car, I'm with DC, I believe Rock is OK with coming off the trail. His purpose for being out on the trail is not to do a death march but to do something enjoyable. He is a very intelligent man and will make his decision after a medical evaluation.

I wish him the best and look forward to seeing him out on the trail again, when ever that may be.

Sgt. Rock and Hikerhead, it was good to meet both of you inspite of the circumstances.

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 23:04
I have a feeling "a little hungry" was a bit of an understatement. LOL. Thanks again, Thoughtful Owl!!!!

Hikerhead
04-01-2008, 23:09
I'm back home. Thanks Thoughtful Owl and Hooch for jumping in to help out. Good to meet The Only Wanderer for the first time and seeing LW again. I like that Damascus town if only for 30 minutes. Get well Rock.

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 23:12
Glad to see you made it home safely too Hikerhead! Thanks again for getting Rock to Damascus!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 23:14
::: Dino goes outside and sniffs air - smells the aroma of returning hiker in the air :::
Either that or the wind shifted from the sewerage treatment plant

gungho
04-01-2008, 23:19
wishing you the best Rock, the trail will always be there. Get well, and I know you'll be back out there in no time

dixicritter
04-02-2008, 00:01
They have arrived safe and sound. We are off to bed.

Jaybird62
04-02-2008, 00:06
They have arrived safe and sound. We are off to bed.

Glad to hear......Get well soon Rock!!!!I enjoyed your journal, but I enjoy your posts on here also......I m glad you are back buddy, and I am know your family must be......all the best to you :sun

Thru Hiker Wife
04-02-2008, 00:07
Yeah!!!!! Glad to hear he made it home safe and sound. Get well, Rock and welcome home!

warraghiyagey
04-02-2008, 00:37
Still working on my new song "Sgt. Wussy Pants," but won't sing it til I'm in the south next to him and Dixi where he can punch me in the nose good and proper and Dixi can say (as I'm lying there in a pool of my own Karma) "How you like THAT Beeeyotch."
Mmmmm. Can't wait!!:):sun:p:D:banana

Thru Hiker Wife
04-02-2008, 00:40
Still working on my new song "Sgt. Wussy Pants," but won't sing it til I'm in the south next to him and Dixi where he can punch me in the nose good and proper and Dixi can say (as I'm lying there in a pool of my own Karma) "How you like THAT Beeeyotch."
Mmmmm. Can't wait!!:):sun:p:D:banana

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

warraghiyagey
04-02-2008, 00:43
MMMMmmmm Hmmmmm!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/computer001.gif
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/computer001.gif

Thru Hiker Wife
04-02-2008, 00:58
Rock crushed Wargy like bug.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/violent090.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

warraghiyagey
04-02-2008, 01:01
Rock crushed Wargy like bug.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/violent090.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
What evahhhhh!!!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sw018.gif

TOW
04-02-2008, 07:00
and as usual this thread has been HIJACKED!

hehehehehehehehehehehe............................ ............

dixicritter
04-02-2008, 14:24
Hooch left about 30 minutes ago headed home. We've had a great time visiting with him today.

Also Rock just left to go to the doctor to get his ankle checked out. He was able to get an appointment for 3pm today. We'll let y'all know what they doc says.

Thoughtful Owl
04-02-2008, 14:54
Thanks Dixicritter. Yeah, we want to know how Rock is doing. Hope it's nothing major and he can get healed up quickly. He is a good man. I really enjoyed talking with him the short time we were together in the car.

Blissful
04-02-2008, 15:32
Hooch left about 30 minutes ago headed home. We've had a great time visiting with him today.

Also Rock just left to go to the doctor to get his ankle checked out. He was able to get an appointment for 3pm today. We'll let y'all know what they doc says.

Waiting anxiously. :o Hope it goes well. !!!!

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2008, 15:37
Hope his ankle is okay. It would be cool if he could get back on the trail in a few weeks if he wants to.

gungho
04-02-2008, 16:14
I applaud you Sgt Rockhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_100.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)for realizing that you could no longer go home. Hopefully the damage is minimal and heals quick. Also, a shout out to thoughful owl and Hoochhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)

Heater
04-02-2008, 17:05
When I read this yesterday, I knew it probably was not a 04-01 gag. That's not you or Rock's style. I hope for the best for him.

That said, I think he heals and flips to Kathadin and walks home. Could do that in two sections. I have not done the Southern part of the trail but I gotta say that the Northernmost three states are the prettiest. Not to be missed.

Matter of fact, the way he is doing it is one of the the ways I have planned it. NOBO early, then SOBO later. To avoid bugs... ticks mainly and to give tme for other family things.

Either way, I am happy that he already feels he has done what he has and is happy with it. The trail has been there a long time and wiil be there a lot longer.

Rock on! :sun

SGT Rock
04-02-2008, 17:10
SITREP follows:

I went to see the Doctor today (good man, former Navy surgeon, gotta trust a guy like that) and he gave me the following diagnosis. I have tendinitis and a sprained ankle with possible stress fractures. I am now wearing an air cast with a prescription for some NSAI (Naproxen) and have been told to take a couple of weeks off the trail as a minimal diagnosis. We got some x-ray shots of the foot and ankle to see if the stress fractures are there (wouldn't be the first time for that) and to what extent they are. There may be a follow up order for some ortho stuff and more time off. From past experience I am betting I have a stress fracture in my foot - not a hell of a lot of fun.

So back to the hike. Hikerhead did a great job of shuttling me and slacking me around the area, I owe him some sort of medal for the assist on that. But I really injured this leg around the 9th of March when I was hauling ass to make it to Dismal Falls. Since then I have been hurting and have been playing hard core trying to suck it up and drive on. When I took the week off my ankle was twice its normal size and had returned to about normal when the Frolicking Dinos put me back on. Since then I've been limping along telling myself that it was getting better, but the 31st I only made about 5 miles and was done. The 1st I made it about 4 miles and was ready to quit. I have tons of stamina (resting heart rate is in the 50s) but downhills are painful - walking down a flight of stairs is even bad. So I got to that gap and had to finally admit to myself that I was not actually getting better but getting worse.

Now just doing that simple little thing was a hard thing. If you want to say anything about me, the one thing I will have to admit is that I am too damn stupid to be honest with myself when it hurts. I sat there at Petites Gap and had a "Come to Jesus" talk with myself. I had said for years if it ever got 'not fun' I would quit, but I was past that point by a few days and was going on to make a thru-hike just so I could say I had done it. Despite the fact I would always say I would never do one just to say I had or to make a point, I was now, in fact, doing just that. About the last really good day I had on the Trail was a few days ago. Since then I had been pushing myself trying to make miles and trying to convince myself I was getting better and still enjoying it. I admit to being one stupid ass **** head.

So after coming down to reality I had to figure out what to do next. Honestly, after coming to reality - I still had this urge to at least make it half way before stopping. What a dumb ass. I finally got around to kicking myself for still thinking like that. Then I called home to talk to my wife, I had this feeling I was letting her down after all the time she spent supporting me.

Anyhow, forces on WhiteBlaze got around to saving my ass from myself. Thoughtful owl came to the gap and got me from the trail and delivered me to Hikerhead. Hikerhead got me to Damascus where I stopped to see Lone Wolf and Larry, then Hootch got me home. I am in awe at the way friends went out of their way to help me out and I pray I never forget that lesson. I am humbled by the response of WhiteBlazers. Just when I was starting to wonder if WhiteBlaze was even worth staying with at times, y'all turn out to make me ashamed to even think that.

Now I am this point where I have to figure out the next step. I have at least two weeks to recover before even deciding to get back on or how to do it. Lone Wolf's idea of doing a flip-flop sounds like a great idea, but who knows now if I may need to take longer - the doctor will tell me soon I hope. Another thing I have to take account of is time - I started this knowing I had a time limit of sorts to make it in. My wife was going to get a job to keep the bills paid and make up the short fall of income during my hike but we knew at some point I would have to get another job. My hike savings was combined with the fact that I'm on terminal leave in order to fund this project. If I don't have the ability to get back on in a timely manner then there is no way I can finish without causing my family financial hardship and there is no way I could keep walking in clear conscience while my family has to tighten the belts for me. It just ain't the way I was raised.

I have had a great time. I've seen great things and have met great people. No matter what, I have made it about 800+ miles and have no regrets. I would rather finish my hike now and come back later as a section hiker and have good memories than to force myself to hike through injury just to quell the naysayers or to claim I have achived some status as a hiker. I've got many other things to claim in my 41 years that are more important and just as challenging as a thru-hike and having one more plaque to put on the wall doesn't impress me anymore. If I cannot get back and finish I'll get over it. The best part for me is I have a great family to come back to and great friends that have been there for me. I'm blessed.

I am sure that there will be some that somehow find fault in me if I don't go back and finish. If you are that sort of person then it probably makes you feel better if I don't finish and I am sure you will come in and say something - I bet you prove me right really soon and that is sad for you if you think about it.

Anyhow, all that said, I am not giving up hope that I'll get back out there. I'm only just coming to grips with reality and preparing myself for the worst. I also hope that, for good or bad, future thru-hikers learn from what I have done and take both the good things and the bad things I have done. Don't try to go too far, too fast, and be too hard to listen when your body says it's time to quit for the day.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-02-2008, 17:23
Welcome back, Rock. :welcome The hero lives on. I hope everything turns out the way you, Dixi and the kids want.

max patch
04-02-2008, 17:25
Hope everything works out in whatever way you want it to.

Family is more important than a 6 month vacation.

mudhead
04-02-2008, 17:33
Does it itch inside that air cast?

Did you shave that scurvy hippie beard yet?

Are you full yet?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Tin Man
04-02-2008, 17:34
Rock, Well said. You are The Man. Best wishes for whatever comes next.

[Anyone who wants to be naysayer is not worth anyone's time or a second thought. Period.]

Thoughtful Owl
04-02-2008, 17:36
Hay friend, stay off that foot and give it a rest. I will tell what we have been telling Footslogger, you have a bunch of friends out here on WB rooting for you and will continue to do so regardless of what type of decision has to be made. Do get some rest and enjoy the family, I know the boys are glad to have you at home.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-02-2008, 17:40
::: Dino puts a warm and loving tail around Rock and is careful not to pop his cast with her spiny parts :::
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/DrDinoonRock.jpg

I went up to Rock and Dixi's place to see the Rock Star for myself...

Hooch followed me to the airport area from Rock and Dixi's place. Sorry about the country roads.... I took him out via White's Mill and Tuckaleechee Pike :D Yee Haw

LW, I don't know how to break this to you, but Bella has been unfaithful.... see jumped right up in my arms and gave me the biggest smooch.

Pics of the usual suspects:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/0/8/3/ernie_with_cigar_4_2_08.jpghttp://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/0/8/3/kristi_4_2_08__2.jpg
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/0/8/3/hooch_4_2_08__1.jpghttp://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/0/8/3/sonny_and_bella_4_2_08__4.jpg

Sly
04-02-2008, 17:50
Best of luck Rock and a speedy recovery. Heal first, hike later. Hugs to Dixie!

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2008, 18:05
Don't be so hard on yourself. Stubbornness is a valuable trait, too.

And Dixi Critter looks happy to have you home.

Skidsteer
04-02-2008, 18:10
Rest those feet!

Best wishes for a fast recovery.

Hooch
04-02-2008, 18:15
Back in Lexington, safe and sound. It was nice to see Lone Wolf again and meet The Only Wanderer and HikerHead. For anyone who hasn't been to Dot's the cold beer and killer cheeseburgers aren't to be missed! Many thanks to Rock and Dixicritter for putting me up last night after we got to their place, feeding me breakfast and showing me the kick ass outfitters in Maryville. Big ol' thanks to She-Dino for letting me follow her out of the country back to territory that I knew. As always, nice to see you Dino! Rock, you take care of that ankle and Dixi you take care of Rock. Keep him off it (Yeah, right!) and he'll be back on the trail in no time. Yell if y'all need anything.

ed bell
04-02-2008, 18:17
Maybe another Easy Company Work Trip in a couple of weeks? I'd like to check out that section of yours in the middle of Spring.:cool: Hang in there.:);)

Two Speed
04-02-2008, 18:38
Did someone say Easy Company?

TOW
04-02-2008, 19:42
Rock, perhaps it is time to spend some time in the art of story writing because you are certainly gifted in that art form.

There is this one single thing that I admire about you and that is the fact that you know how to communicate in the art of story what it is exactly that you are thinking. But I want you to quit putting yourself down for implying that you are some sort of a dummy for being a hard head by continuing in one of your dreams even when it is hurting.

When you have a dream there is this thing called pride mixed with spirit that tells you to continue on even when it is agonizing. In some cases this voice should be listened to, but not in this case. You made the right decision

We all have read of people not making the right decisions, some are in the grave and some are crippled for life.

You my dear sir are very admired here and abroad. For those of us who admire you we also admire the fact that you have come on here and told us what it is that is going on with you.

Screw the naysayers, they are a dime a dozen!

peanuts
04-02-2008, 19:44
best wishes and a speedy recovery!!!
it will work out

SGT Rock
04-02-2008, 19:47
Welcome back, Rock. :welcome The hero lives on. I hope everything turns out the way you, Dixi and the kids want.We are going to work through it. I'm happy eitheer way.

Hope everything works out in whatever way you want it to.

Family is more important than a 6 month vacation.You said it Max.

Does it itch inside that air cast?

Did you shave that scurvy hippie beard yet?

Are you full yet?

Enquiring minds want to know.Yes, no, no.

Rock, Well said. You are The Man. Best wishes for whatever comes next.

[Anyone who wants to be naysayer is not worth anyone's time or a second thought. Period.]Yep.

Hay friend, stay off that foot and give it a rest. I will tell what we have been telling Footslogger, you have a bunch of friends out here on WB rooting for you and will continue to do so regardless of what type of decision has to be made. Do get some rest and enjoy the family, I know the boys are glad to have you at home.I know what you mean. It was great meeting you face to face finally.

Best of luck Rock and a speedy recovery. Heal first, hike later. Hugs to Dixie!Thanks Sly.

And Dixi Critter looks happy to have you home.Stubborness is a good thing. I ain't going to stop being stubborn.

Rest those feet!

Best wishes for a fast recovery.Thanks Skids.

Back in Lexington, safe and sound. It was nice to see Lone Wolf again and meet The Only Wanderer and HikerHead. For anyone who hasn't been to Dot's the cold beer and killer cheeseburgers aren't to be missed! Many thanks to Rock and Dixicritter for putting me up last night after we got to their place, feeding me breakfast and showing me the kick ass outfitters in Maryville. Big ol' thanks to She-Dino for letting me follow her out of the country back to territory that I knew. As always, nice to see you Dino! Rock, you take care of that ankle and Dixi you take care of Rock. Keep him off it (Yeah, right!) and he'll be back on the trail in no time. Yell if y'all need anything.Thanks for the assist Hooch - glad you made the trip safe.

Maybe another Easy Company Work Trip in a couple of weeks? I'd like to check out that section of yours in the middle of Spring.:cool: Hang in there.:);)Actually I was thinking just that this morning before I went to see the doc. I was thinking this weekend as a matter of fact, but I may wait a little now that I've heard from the doc.

Did someone say Easy Company?
Yep. Just because I can't hike right now doesn't mean I'm going to stop.

Two Speed
04-02-2008, 19:56
Don't push it too much, but let us know when the next Easy Co trip is on. That stress fracture story would probably get you out of all the work. Well, for a coupla trips, anyway.

BTW, good job on the journal. Between Dixi and yourself I was enjoying that very much.

Blissful
04-02-2008, 19:58
Thanks so much for the update. Have to say, we sure did miss you here on WB. :)

mudhead
04-02-2008, 20:16
Secret tapeworm repellant: Dried apricots, raisins, and full fat cottage cheese. (Sunmaid, Sunmaid, Your local.)

Course, your other half needs a meal at a steakhouse, I am sure.

Check into your vitamin D and calcium intake.

Heal well.

Hooch
04-02-2008, 20:29
Thanks for the assist Hooch - glad you made the trip safe.
No sweat, I was glad to be able to lend a hand.

warraghiyagey
04-02-2008, 20:34
Rock, good to have you back. And thanks for the update. Hopeing you heal well and you, Dixi and your family have a great summer, whichever path that may entail.:sun

Trail Yeti
04-02-2008, 21:52
Rock, next time...WEAR A KILT...for luck as well as good fashion:);)
Hope your ankle heals well, you made the right decision. Hi dixi!

J5man
04-02-2008, 21:54
The REAL truth behind Rock's ankle injury: Hikerhead sabotaged Sgt. Rock (hit him with a pool cue) after Rock kicked his a$$ in pool while visiting in Roanoke! Hikerhead did the same to me (kicked MY butt) a week before that....so if HH evers tells of getting an ankle injury......hmmmmmmmmm........you'll know where it came from! Sgt Rock, Godspeed on your recovery. I enjoyed visiting with you while you were in the Roanoke area.

Hikerhead
04-02-2008, 23:02
The REAL truth behind Rock's ankle injury: Hikerhead sabotaged Sgt. Rock (hit him with a pool cue) after Rock kicked his a$$ in pool while visiting in Roanoke! Hikerhead did the same to me (kicked MY butt) a week before that....so if HH evers tells of getting an ankle injury......hmmmmmmmmm........you'll know where it came from! Sgt Rock, Godspeed on your recovery. I enjoyed visiting with you while you were in the Roanoke area.

Actually we even upped (bad english). I was hoping to get one more shot at him in Damascus but they have a law on the books that forbids pool tables, imagine that. :confused:

take-a-knee
04-02-2008, 23:28
I don't doubt for a second that Rock has a really bad ankle and that he needs to get off the trail, but I also think the fact that he's spent two years in Iraq and countless other months TDY away from his family plays no small role in his decision to go home. I believe this says a lot about his character and priorities. He's been looking after those in his charge all of his adult life, that is what sergeants and fathers do.

Deerleg
04-02-2008, 23:32
Hey Rock glad you made it home safe. Sectioning is not such a bad thing, I think a lot of us have been living and breathing this trail for years and will continue to do so and will keep hiking a little at a time. I think many of us don’t care if we ever finish, we just want to keep getting out there. It’s never going to be checked off my list. I was hopping to walk a few miles with you thru Shenandoah in the next week or two, but I’m guessing that our paths will cross eventually! Get healed up and enjoy some well earned R & R.

Erin
04-03-2008, 01:24
Sgt. Rock,I am going to miss reading your journal entries and photos. I have been following your progress since you started your hike because I noticed you served in Iraq. Thank you. I am very impressed with the fact that the WB's involved in this site over there are so supportive and helpful to one another, to you and your family. The best of luck with your feet.

Mini-Mosey
04-03-2008, 03:31
So many others here have expressed the sentiments that I feel, although I've never met you face-to-face. I respect you as much as ever. Ireally do hope to meet you, as well as others on this site, face-to-face someday. You just take care of yourself and enjoy your family and do what's best for YOU. My very best wishes to you and your family. (And may I add: 800+ miles is NOTHING to sneeze at!! God bless....

sheepdog
04-03-2008, 08:03
I hope you heal up good as new Rock.

Alligator
04-03-2008, 09:17
Let that foot heal up. By the time it does, you'll know where your path lies.

Jan LiteShoe
04-03-2008, 09:41
Sgt. Rock,I am going to miss reading your journal entries and photos. I have been following your progress since you started your hike because I noticed you served in Iraq. Thank you. I am very impressed with the fact that the WB's involved in this site over there are so supportive and helpful to one another, to you and your family. The best of luck with your feet.

Well spoke. Ditto from this corner. Speedy recovery. Feet are our friends. Gotta take care of our friends.

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 09:47
Rock, perhaps it is time to spend some time in the art of story writing because you are certainly gifted in that art form.

There is this one single thing that I admire about you and that is the fact that you know how to communicate in the art of story what it is exactly that you are thinking. But I want you to quit putting yourself down for implying that you are some sort of a dummy for being a hard head by continuing in one of your dreams even when it is hurting.

When you have a dream there is this thing called pride mixed with spirit that tells you to continue on even when it is agonizing. In some cases this voice should be listened to, but not in this case. You made the right decision

We all have read of people not making the right decisions, some are in the grave and some are crippled for life.

You my dear sir are very admired here and abroad. For those of us who admire you we also admire the fact that you have come on here and told us what it is that is going on with you.

Screw the naysayers, they are a dime a dozen!Thanks Larry. You ought to start writing again.

best wishes and a speedy recovery!!!
it will work outThanks peanut. Maybe the next hammock hang out if I'm still here recovering I'll show up.

Don't push it too much, but let us know when the next Easy Co trip is on. That stress fracture story would probably get you out of all the work. Well, for a coupla trips, anyway.

BTW, good job on the journal. Between Dixi and yourself I was enjoying that very much.She is great ain't she. As for the work - those blow downs that need all the attention are only 0.5 miles in on that old Forrest Service road so the walking wouldn't be that bad. I have an 18 year old boy that could carry the chainsaw for me ;)

Thanks so much for the update. Have to say, we sure did miss you here on WB. :)Thanks Blissful. BTW, when I lost my spoon I ended up with one of those stupid Light My Fire Sporks again.

Secret tapeworm repellant: Dried apricots, raisins, and full fat cottage cheese. (Sunmaid, Sunmaid, Your local.)

Check into your vitamin D and calcium intake.

Heal well.I'm taking Gluclostomine and a couple of other vitamins - but doeses of rare steak are also on the diet plan.

No sweat, I was glad to be able to lend a hand.Hooch, it wass a pleasure riding with you. I hope you have a good hike with your son in the upcoming trip.

Rock, good to have you back. And thanks for the update. Hopeing you heal well and you, Dixi and your family have a great summer, whichever path that may entail.:sunWe will work to make the best of it no matter what.

Hope your ankle heals well, you made the right decision. Hi dixi!A kilt? Is it easier to hitch in a kilt?

The REAL truth behind Rock's ankle injury: Hikerhead sabotaged Sgt. Rock (hit him with a pool cue) after Rock kicked his a$$ in pool while visiting in Roanoke! Hikerhead did the same to me (kicked MY butt) a week before that....so if HH evers tells of getting an ankle injury......hmmmmmmmmm........you'll know where it came from! Sgt Rock, Godspeed on your recovery. I enjoyed visiting with you while you were in the Roanoke area.Naw, it wasn't like that. I shoot better when drinking, so all Hikerkead had to do was limit my intake so I never got to that level, he learned that on the first night.

Actually we even upped (bad english). I was hoping to get one more shot at him in Damascus but they have a law on the books that forbids pool tables, imagine that. :confused:We need to get Lone Wolf and the Damascus White Blazers on that to have that law changed.

I don't doubt for a second that Rock has a really bad ankle and that he needs to get off the trail, but I also think the fact that he's spent two years in Iraq and countless other months TDY away from his family plays no small role in his decision to go home. I believe this says a lot about his character and priorities. He's been looking after those in his charge all of his adult life, that is what sergeants and fathers do.You are absolutly correct take-a-knee. I have missed them for most of the trip (I got to see them in the times I didn't) and the thought of sitting around a trail town for weeks waiting to see if it would heal instead of coming home to them was a motivating factor. If I have to be off, then the best place I could spend it is home with my boys and wife. Shooting bows, throwing 'hawks, driving lessons, seeing movies, etc. I've spent more time from home in the last 22+ years than most multiple thru-hikers have been on the trail and I know you know how that feels.

At a certain point of sitting and waiting to hike I'll run out of the time and funds to do this hike. If I start working as soon as I make the decision then I can save as much of that fund as possible and keep up ahead. I'd rather make the decision to stay home or hike as soon as possible, and if it is stay home - then get a job and start banking funds for a long section in the future.

Hey Rock glad you made it home safe. Sectioning is not such a bad thing, I think a lot of us have been living and breathing this trail for years and will continue to do so and will keep hiking a little at a time. I think many of us don’t care if we ever finish, we just want to keep getting out there. It’s never going to be checked off my list. I was hopping to walk a few miles with you thru Shenandoah in the next week or two, but I’m guessing that our paths will cross eventually! Get healed up and enjoy some well earned R & R.You are absolutly correct on that Deerleg. At a certain point a thru-hike is like a job. You have to go to work and do your miles if you are going to make it. What I found happening is some things that would have impressed me more while on a section hike started to be 'just another overlook' or 'just another waterfall' or 'just another____' with a few minutes spent at them then back to the making the miles thing. If I had to make a reccomendation to people thinking about a thru-hike in the future, my honest assessment is this: Section hikes are the way to go. You can pick sections and hit them at the best times of the year for that type of terrain. Some sections are the prettiest in the snow of winter, some sections are best in the heat of summer when you can use that waterfall as a shower, some sections rock in the spring when the flowers are coming in. Get the time and the money to go when you want and pick the section you want to do. If you want to do a long hike by all means do that, but doen't allow yourself to get to the point where you feel you have to keep hiking to finish no matter what. Slow down when you want to. If you ever find yourself in that 'make miles' mentality you may want to force yourself to take an on the trail zero.

Sgt. Rock,I am going to miss reading your journal entries and photos. I have been following your progress since you started your hike because I noticed you served in Iraq. Thank you. I am very impressed with the fact that the WB's involved in this site over there are so supportive and helpful to one another, to you and your family. The best of luck with your feet.Thanks for the vote of encouragement. I have had a great time doing the journal and there are still some pages to come. And WhiteBlazers are generally great people. They are hikers and hikers, in my experience, tend to watch out for each other.

So many others here have expressed the sentiments that I feel, although I've never met you face-to-face. I respect you as much as ever. Ireally do hope to meet you, as well as others on this site, face-to-face someday. You just take care of yourself and enjoy your family and do what's best for YOU. My very best wishes to you and your family. (And may I add: 800+ miles is NOTHING to sneeze at!! God bless....800+ miles is a pretty good distance and I fell good to have gone that far myself. It's just when you set your aim at 2228.4 and are about 1400 short you feel like you really screwed up. If I had followed my own advice above I wouldn't have that nagging feeling.

I hope you heal up good as new Rock.Thanks man.

Let that foot heal up. By the time it does, you'll know where your path lies.You are right. And thanks again Alligator. You and your family were great. Get those boys out backpacking as soon as they are able!

Alligator
04-03-2008, 10:08
...Thanks Blissful. BTW, when I lost my spoon I ended up with one of those stupid Light My Fire Sporks again.
I knew you weren't going to like that purchase:D. I kinda like mine though. I like the knife part for simple soft cutting. It spares getting my Micra dirty.

You are right. And thanks again Alligator. You and your family were great. Get those boys out backpacking as soon as they are able!YW. Every time I think the weather has warmed up enough, we get hit with cold rain.

FishBone
04-03-2008, 10:09
"If I had to make a reccomendation to people thinking about a thru-hike in the future, my honest assessment is this: Section hikes are the way to go. You can pick sections and hit them at the best times of the year for that type of terrain."

Well said, Sgt.Rock. I read somewhere: "It's not about the miles, it's about the SMILES!"

As a section hiker by choice and circumstance (still gainfully employed), I've appreciated the flexibility afforded by a more leisurely approach.

Although a tough decision, you made the right call. No use abusing your body beyond a reasonable point. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

dixicritter
04-03-2008, 10:33
Best of luck Rock and a speedy recovery. Heal first, hike later. Hugs to Dixie!
Thank you Sly! :)

And Dixi Critter looks happy to have you home.

Stubborn he is too. ;)

And I won't lie, I am happy to have him home. Wouldn't wish this on anyone though.

BTW, good job on the journal. Between Dixi and yourself I was enjoying that very much.

Got any strong rope? That's what it's gonna take to tie him down. ;)

I only do the typing and spell checking. I've been enjoying his journal as much as everyone else. :o

hmmm, now that doesn't sound like such a shabby idea. :sun

Hope your ankle heals well, you made the right decision. Hi dixi!

Hi Yeti! Can't wait to see ya again! It's been too long! :)

peanuts
04-03-2008, 11:03
lots and lots and lots of hugs dixi....

dixicritter
04-03-2008, 11:10
lots and lots and lots of hugs dixi....

Thank you peanuts! I can't wait to see you again and get those in person. :)

peanuts
04-03-2008, 11:13
no problem dix, maybe hot springs:)

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 11:39
SITREP follows:

I went to see the Doctor today (good man, former Navy surgeon, gotta trust a guy like that) and he gave me the following diagnosis. I have tendinitis and a sprained ankle with possible stress fractures. I am now wearing an air cast with a prescription for some NSAI (Naproxen) and have been told to take a couple of weeks off the trail as a minimal diagnosis. We got some x-ray shots of the foot and ankle to see if the stress fractures are there (wouldn't be the first time for that) and to what extent they are. There may be a follow up order for some ortho stuff and more time off. From past experience I am betting I have a stress fracture in my foot - not a hell of a lot of fun.

So back to the hike. Hikerhead did a great job of shuttling me and slacking me around the area, I owe him some sort of medal for the assist on that. But I really injured this leg around the 9th of March when I was hauling ass to make it to Dismal Falls. Since then I have been hurting and have been playing hard core trying to suck it up and drive on. When I took the week off my ankle was twice its normal size and had returned to about normal when the Frolicking Dinos put me back on. Since then I've been limping along telling myself that it was getting better, but the 31st I only made about 5 miles and was done. The 1st I made it about 4 miles and was ready to quit. I have tons of stamina (resting heart rate is in the 50s) but downhills are painful - walking down a flight of stairs is even bad. So I got to that gap and had to finally admit to myself that I was not actually getting better but getting worse.

Now just doing that simple little thing was a hard thing. If you want to say anything about me, the one thing I will have to admit is that I am too damn stupid to be honest with myself when it hurts. I sat there at Petites Gap and had a "Come to Jesus" talk with myself. I had said for years if it ever got 'not fun' I would quit, but I was past that point by a few days and was going on to make a thru-hike just so I could say I had done it. Despite the fact I would always say I would never do one just to say I had or to make a point, I was now, in fact, doing just that. About the last really good day I had on the Trail was a few days ago. Since then I had been pushing myself trying to make miles and trying to convince myself I was getting better and still enjoying it. I admit to being one stupid ass **** head.

So after coming down to reality I had to figure out what to do next. Honestly, after coming to reality - I still had this urge to at least make it half way before stopping. What a dumb ass. I finally got around to kicking myself for still thinking like that. Then I called home to talk to my wife, I had this feeling I was letting her down after all the time she spent supporting me.

Anyhow, forces on WhiteBlaze got around to saving my ass from myself. Thoughtful owl came to the gap and got me from the trail and delivered me to Hikerhead. Hikerhead got me to Damascus where I stopped to see Lone Wolf and Larry, then Hootch got me home. I am in awe at the way friends went out of their way to help me out and I pray I never forget that lesson. I am humbled by the response of WhiteBlazers. Just when I was starting to wonder if WhiteBlaze was even worth staying with at times, y'all turn out to make me ashamed to even think that.

Now I am this point where I have to figure out the next step. I have at least two weeks to recover before even deciding to get back on or how to do it. Lone Wolf's idea of doing a flip-flop sounds like a great idea, but who knows now if I may need to take longer - the doctor will tell me soon I hope. Another thing I have to take account of is time - I started this knowing I had a time limit of sorts to make it in. My wife was going to get a job to keep the bills paid and make up the short fall of income during my hike but we knew at some point I would have to get another job. My hike savings was combined with the fact that I'm on terminal leave in order to fund this project. If I don't have the ability to get back on in a timely manner then there is no way I can finish without causing my family financial hardship and there is no way I could keep walking in clear conscience while my family has to tighten the belts for me. It just ain't the way I was raised.

I have had a great time. I've seen great things and have met great people. No matter what, I have made it about 800+ miles and have no regrets. I would rather finish my hike now and come back later as a section hiker and have good memories than to force myself to hike through injury just to quell the naysayers or to claim I have achived some status as a hiker. I've got many other things to claim in my 41 years that are more important and just as challenging as a thru-hike and having one more plaque to put on the wall doesn't impress me anymore. If I cannot get back and finish I'll get over it. The best part for me is I have a great family to come back to and great friends that have been there for me. I'm blessed.

I am sure that there will be some that somehow find fault in me if I don't go back and finish. If you are that sort of person then it probably makes you feel better if I don't finish and I am sure you will come in and say something - I bet you prove me right really soon and that is sad for you if you think about it.

Anyhow, all that said, I am not giving up hope that I'll get back out there. I'm only just coming to grips with reality and preparing myself for the worst. I also hope that, for good or bad, future thru-hikers learn from what I have done and take both the good things and the bad things I have done. Don't try to go too far, too fast, and be too hard to listen when your body says it's time to quit for the day.

That was quite a heart-felt appeal to our feminine sides, Rock. The trail has softened you, as it is prone to do. The trail is nature at its finest, natural selection, it weeds out the weak so that only the strong can make it to the end. Stay off that 'ankle injury'.;)

STEVEM
04-03-2008, 11:45
That was quite a heart-felt appeal to our feminine sides, Rock. The trail has softened you, as it is prone to do. The trail is nature at its finest, natural selection, it weeds out the weak so that only the strong can make it to the end. Stay off that 'ankle injury'.;)

Sarge ain't soft. He went further than Bryson and Katz. :D

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 11:45
See. I told you, and could have guessed who it would be.

A-Train
04-03-2008, 11:47

beware the idiot packsniffers for they are mean when threatened.

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 11:48

LOL. What? I am merely commenting upon the nature of the trail. :D

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 11:52
By the way, has this 'injury' been confirmed?

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 11:53
obviously you don't ****ing read

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 11:56
Just got a call from the doc - looks like a stress fracture too. I am going to see an orthopedic guy on the 10th.

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 11:59
The only account we've heard so far, came from Rock himself. I'm not suggesting he's lying.., I just think that citing some other sources might be helpful.

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 12:01
Whatever. Like I need to prove anything.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 12:01
The only account we've heard so far, came from Rock himself. I'm not suggesting he's lying.., I just think that citing some other sources might be helpful.

yeah you are. you're a dick. but everyone knows that. :)

wakapak
04-03-2008, 12:02

What A**hole...

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 12:05
What A**hole...

Now, Now, young lady.

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 12:10
Whatever. Like I need to prove anything.

Easy guy, it's just a little good natured ribbing.;)

woodsy
04-03-2008, 12:44
yeah you are. you're a dick. but everyone knows that. :)

What A**hole...

I sense a general opinion forming so I'll third it!

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 12:46
Hey McDick, where ya been? hiking?, LOL, Hahaha......hahahahah
McQuest;Man, myth, legend.....Hahaha.......hahaha

packsniffing. wannabeing

wakapak
04-03-2008, 12:48
packsniffing. wannabeing

pretty much. guess he's gotta make himself feel good somehow.

rhjanes
04-03-2008, 12:59
Rest and Heal up there Sgt.

Blissful
04-03-2008, 13:20
Just got a call from the doc - looks like a stress fracture too. I am going to see an orthopedic guy on the 10th.

Bummer. :( Sometimes they need to do an MRI to verify as they are tough to see on x-ray.
But glad you are home, safe and sound, where you can heal up.

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 13:22

What? You want a note from his Dr.? And while not suggesting that he's lying...you most certainly are implying it.

What makes someone want to kick a guy like you are trying to do? Really not a very nice person are you?

warraghiyagey
04-03-2008, 13:34
Pretty much:(

JAK
04-03-2008, 13:40
Sorry to hear about the ankle.
Enjoy your recovery and don't let it get you down too much.
Maybe take up paddling or biking for awhile to stay in shape.

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 13:44
I was thinking about caving

Tin Man
04-03-2008, 14:09

Hey DickMcQuirk,

This is the stupidest crap on WB today. Cite other sources? Why don't you cite several references that you are human? Never mind, I am sure no one would attest to that unless they were paid. The ignore button were invented for the likes of you. BYE!

Marta
04-03-2008, 14:10
Whoa! I was a few pages behind on my reading and now I hear this!

I am so sorry, Sarge. Going SOBO in '06 I met a couple of guys who were finishing up '05 hikes that they had given up because of stress fractures. I think it's an affliction of the strong because you have to be strong and fit into to hike yourself into one.

Good luck with the recovery. I hope things do work out so that you can get back out there and discover the joys of going SOBO...

Tin Man
04-03-2008, 14:11
I was thinking about caving

Caving? Don't trolls hide in caves? Or were you gonna pack when you go?

warraghiyagey
It's not even worth thinking about. Reacting to posts like that just lends them credibility. Read right past that stuff and it disappears

Gray Blazer

Go tell it to your buddy, longshanks.

Shadowmoss
04-03-2008, 14:20
Ummmm, Rock, caving is (or can be) even harder on ankles. Clambering over rocks (we call them 'breakdown' in caves) can twist even a healthy ankle. Not to discourage your new interest, but you might want to wait a bit on that one, too.

It is great that you went on your first caving trip with a grotto (local chapter of the National Speleological Society), so I'm fairly sure you were shown the safe(er) way to cave. You know Ed Speer is a life member of the NSS?

Shadowmoss
NSS 14522 (I think) - inactive for several years

JAK
04-03-2008, 14:20
Caving eh. Cool. I've been wondering when to take Margaret caving. I guess the thing to do would be just to go into the entrance until she is older. I like caving. I've caved only twice. It kinda scares the crap out of me, especially when you crawl through the really narrow stuff. It's scarey fun, not scarey serious, at least not the cave I was in.

So how did you like my molasses joke? :)

Tin Man
04-03-2008, 14:21
[Anyone who wants to be naysayer is not worth anyone's time or a second thought. Period.]

It's not even worth thinking about. Reacting to posts like that just lends them credibility. Read right past that stuff and it disappears

I need to follow my own advice posted earlier. ;)

Sometimes I was I was an admin though. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-03-2008, 14:22
I was at Sgt Rock's house yesterday just before he went to the doctor. He limped pitifully (brought tears to my eyes to see) and could barely walk. Thoughtful Owl, Hikerhead and Hooch have all seen him as have LW and TOW. Does the our wannabe Captain Kirk really want to dispute the word of all of the above on severity of Rock's injuries?

I didn't think so - now crawl back under the bridge where good trolls belong.

(Note to rest of mod staff - delete me if I'm outta line, but someone needed to confront this loser boy)

Thoughtful Owl

Sgt Rock,
Really sorry to hear this. Hay, if there's anything I can do from this end all you gotta do his give me shout at anytime.

Tin Man
Ummmm, Rock, caving is (or can be) even harder on ankles. Clambering over rocks (we call them 'breakdown' in caves) can twist even a healthy ankle. Not to discourage your new interest, but you might want to wait a bit on that one, too.

It is great that you went on your first caving trip with a grotto (local chapter of the National Speleological Society), so I'm fairly sure you were shown the safe(er) way to cave. You know Ed Speer is a life member of the NSS?

Shadowmoss
NSS 14522 (I think) - inactive for several years

I am pretty sure he was pulling our leg.

Thoughtful Owl
04-03-2008, 14:26
Hay where did that dumb a$$ DickMcQuirk come from? I think it's the first time I have seen him post. I guess I can see why. If you don't have something to say that's for the good of the cause, it's best to just keep your mouth shut and say nothing. Maybe he will just crawl back in his hole.

Wilson
04-03-2008, 14:26
I was at Sgt Rock's house yesterday just before he went to the doctor. He limped pitifully (brought tears to my eyes to see) and could barely walk. Thoughtful Owl, Hikerhead and Hooch have all seen him as have LW and TOW. Does the our wannabe Captain Kirk really want to dispute the word of all of the above on severity of Rock's injuries?

I didn't think so - now crawl back under the bridge where good trolls belong.

(Note to rest of mod staff - delete me if I'm outta line, but someone needed to confront this loser boy)

He can't, the trolls would kick him out. He would'nt make it as a half-ass troll.

Wilson
04-03-2008, 14:32
Rock, by far yours was the best trail journal I've read. Take care.

JAK
04-03-2008, 14:35

Shadowmoss
NSS 14522 (I think) - inactive for several yearsProbably right.
Maybe just stick to wenching 'til the ankle gets better. ;)

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 14:54
Actually I am serious about taking up caving, although I will probably have to lay off anything like that for a while. Dave and Carl who took us in that cave were great and have sort of given me the bug. I used to go into caves a bit back in North Alabama during high school and was lucky never to get lost in one. Now that I've seen the inside of a cave again I remebered how cool it was.

As for Kirk, I knew he was just poking fun at me, we have done that back and forth before in other threads. I ain't been offended yet.

JAK
04-03-2008, 15:03
Maybe next time he'll use a smiley. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-03-2008, 15:06
As for Kirk, I knew he was just poking fun at me, we have done that back and forth before in other threads. I ain't been offended yet.Oh, in that case, I take back my thoughts regarding Captain Kirk.

Pennsylvania Rose
04-03-2008, 15:13
The kids and I just got back from our spring break trip and the 1st thing I read about is Rock getting off the Trail. Sorry about your foot/ankle, but you're smart to listen to your body - nothing unmanly about admitting pain and misery when you're risking permanent injury. I can tell that Dixie and the boys are happy to see you again, too, as are all of us at wb.

Ironic thing is that we were in your neck of the woods - Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock - but couldn't help you out because we had no clue.

Hope you're back on your foot soon. When you get a chance to section be sure to keep a journal - I've really enjoyed your writing. And here's one to make you blush - my 15 yo daughter has been following your progress, too. She must have mentioned your hike a half dozen times this week and looked for all the BMT trailheads as we were driving. You've fueled her obsession for a thru. Or she has a teenage crush. :)

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 15:48
Oh, in that case, I take back my thoughts regarding Captain Kirk.

why. he runs his suck here too. http://www.trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=5187&thread=40&roomid=7&EntryID=96411

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 16:03
packsniffing. wannabeing

You would know a wannabe if he came up and slapped you in the beard.

Someday you're going to get too close to the fire and that beard's going up ( too much shine dribbling down your chin)

To hell with the rest of you losers too, I've hiked more miles than 90% of you.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 16:05
You would know a wannabe if he came up and slapped you in the beard.

Someday you're going to get too close to the fire and that beard's going up ( too much shine dribbling down your chin)

you don't hike and you know it. we all know it. you're a fraud. wannabe :) btw, what is shine?

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 16:13
And Lw has also been posting here. http://www.trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=forum&roomID=7&flush=1&CFID=140841&CFTOKEN=11345653

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 16:15
And Lw has also been posting here. http://www.trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=forum&roomID=7&flush=1&CFID=140841&CFTOKEN=11345653

I applaud your courage, its about time you've decided to come clean.

zoidfu
04-03-2008, 16:16

Are you 12 years old?

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 16:17
I applaud your courage, its about time you've decided to come clean.

i never post over there you assclown. nice try. grow up boy :D

zoidfu
04-03-2008, 16:18

I'm pretty sure it's wishful thinking on his part.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 16:20
I'm pretty sure it's wishful thinking on his part.

he's not even a bad troll. he's very pathetic.. laughable. poor kid. :)

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 16:20
Are you 12 years old?

I guess I should take advice from 'Zoid-fu'.

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 16:21
All right, chill y'all.

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 16:22

Neither did I, butt-munch. Nice try.

zoidfu
04-03-2008, 16:23
I guess I should take advice from 'Zoid-fu'.

Well, maybe you should seeing as your parents evidently never figured out how to raise you.

JAK
04-03-2008, 16:28
Y'all gotta make better use of smileys. :eek:

:welcome

woodsy
04-03-2008, 16:34
On concrete probably.......

budforester
04-03-2008, 16:36
Sorry to hear about the ankle.
Enjoy your recovery and don't let it get you down too much.
Maybe take up paddling or biking for awhile to stay in shape.

JAK is onto something there; when I got all busted up, I could paddle a lot sooner and a whole bunch farther than I could walk. His later suggestion of wenching has great appeal, too.

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 16:39
I've actually thought of getting a bike and getting a job close enough to ride back and forth to work - low impact and good cardio.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-03-2008, 16:39
Can't we all just get along?:confused:

KirkMcquest
04-03-2008, 16:44
On concrete probably.......

Look who's talking. Your nowhere near the 'wilds of Maine'.lol What's that a picture in your living room?

You've never been on a tough hike in your life.

Tin Man
04-03-2008, 16:53
Can't we all just get along?:confused:

When the trolls come out all you can do is wait and/or push the ignore button. The more you say, the more encouraged they become to type more stupid drivel.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-03-2008, 16:55
When the trolls come out all you can do is wait and/or push the ignore button. The more you say, the more encouraged they become to type more stupid drivel.

Yeah, that's why I've not gotten involved. Just a shame to turn a nice thread about a good, respectable man into a flame war.:(

GGS2
04-03-2008, 16:56
I've actually thought of getting a bike and getting a job close enough to ride back and forth to work - low impact and good cardio.

That's the ticket. And swimming, maybe, if there's a cheap pool nearby. Steady, moderate push. No pain, good slow gain.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-03-2008, 16:57
Yeah, that's why I've not gotten involved. Just a shame to turn a nice thread about a good, respectable man into a flame war.:(

That and I don't have a penis to use to write my name in the snow.:eek::D

Sly
04-03-2008, 16:58

For a woman it's all in the hips, and practice, practice, practice!

max patch
04-03-2008, 16:58

Isn't that why the Lady J was invented?

Heater
04-03-2008, 17:06

Wanna use mine? http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/MrGrover_uk/emoticons/wink.gif

Thru Hiker Wife
04-03-2008, 17:07
For a woman it's all in the hips, and practice, practice, practice!

Sly,

That would take a hell of a lot of practice...T-H-R-U...oh, the hell with it.

:D:D:D:D

Thru Hiker Wife
04-03-2008, 17:07
Wanna use mine? http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/MrGrover_uk/emoticons/wink.gif

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:cool:

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 17:09
Isn't that why the Lady J was invented?

penis envy

Sly
04-03-2008, 17:09
Sly,

LOL... Just do dry runs until you get the hang of it. ;)

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 17:12
Sly,

It's also easier to write in cursive. The stopping and starting required to print is tough.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-03-2008, 17:22
I'm a Whiz Freedom (http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/whiz_freedom_features.aspx) fan, though the Lady J (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13827)is good too. (Whiz is easier to use and keep clean)

::: Dino grabs mic and says in best WalMart voice 'Troll turd clean up needed on posts 1190 forward' :::

STEVEM
04-03-2008, 17:24

It's not such a big deal when the snow is really deep or blown up against a wall.

mudhead
04-03-2008, 17:27

Your other half will let you try, if you ask nice.

Reminds me of the farmer ripping on his neighbor because he recognizes his daughters handwriting.

tomsawyer222
04-03-2008, 17:30
Actually me and my hiking partner were only a couple miles ahead of rock we he got hurt. We were hiking with dr pepper and tabasco and stayed with them at harrison ground spring after rock got back on the trail going north bound. How did you hurt your foot rock? Did the ice get you? I know that it iced pretty bad on that sunday night. I was hoping to run into you but i never actually got to meet you. We hiked from VA 42 4 days south of daleville and went all the way to the james river but i think you were off the trail at the time.

Hikerhead
04-03-2008, 20:41

Wow!!! Rest up and take it easy. I'm hiking with Carl this weekend so I'll did for some more info. I'll need to go to the climbing wall and get rope certified for the really fun stuff. You do the same and maybe we can hit the Murder Hole sometime.

Lugnut
04-03-2008, 23:38
So Rock. Does this mean you'll make Hardcore now? Guess you would rather be well enough to hike but you can make us your second choice!

SGT Rock
04-04-2008, 11:13
We shall see. If I can make hardcore I certainly do want to.

warraghiyagey
04-04-2008, 11:18
I'm a Whiz Freedom (http://www.whizproducts.co.uk/en/whiz_freedom_features.aspx) fan, though the Lady J (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13827)is good too. (Whiz is easier to use and keep clean)

::: Dino grabs mic and says in best WalMart voice 'Troll turd clean up needed on posts 1190 forward' :::
Look out everybody, Dino's weilding her whiz freedom power trip again.
:D

longshank
04-04-2008, 15:12
Hey everybody! Long time no see! What're you all up to? hhhhhmmmmmmm.....?

Gray Blazer
04-04-2008, 21:27
Hey everybody! Long time no see! What're you all up to? hhhhhmmmmmmm.....?

Hi, Kirk. Where's Mattituck?

STEVEM
04-04-2008, 22:45
Hi, Kirk. Where's Mattituck?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattituck

Flush2wice
04-04-2008, 22:45
Sorry to hear about your injury Sarge. Cigars and whisky will speed your recovery. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. :)
Hope to see you out there again soon!

Hooch
04-05-2008, 08:32
I'm just catching up to this tread after a couple days......Kirk, from the bottom of my heart.......dickhead! Like anyone here has anything to prove to you.

Two Speed
04-05-2008, 08:44
Hooch, don't feed the trolls. :cool:

Hooch
04-05-2008, 08:55
Hooch, don't feed the trolls. :cool:Yes dear. :rolleyes::D

KirkMcquest
04-05-2008, 09:11
Sorry to hear about your injury Sarge. Cigars and whisky will speed your recovery...

I think Milk 'n' cookies might be more appropriate.:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-05-2008, 09:12
Troll control:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Smileys/IgnoreKirkMcQuest.jpg

Hooch
04-05-2008, 09:17
Troll control:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Smileys/IgnoreKirkMcQuest.jpg

Way funny!

SGT Rock
04-05-2008, 09:19
We also have a universal ignore feature. When some folks create animosity to a level where they cannot say anything at all, we can make it so everyone on the board has to ignore them. We have only used it once.

KirkMcquest
04-05-2008, 09:23
Why don't you guys just start a commune and go rub each others feet. Sgt. Rock knows damn well that Longshanks and I have increased the activity on this site X3. Your welcome, you can ignore me now

Lone Wolf
04-05-2008, 09:35
I'm just catching up to this tread after a couple days......Kirk, from the bottom of my heart.......dickhead! Like anyone here has anything to prove to you.

he got shut down big time on Trailjournals :D

Two Speed
04-05-2008, 09:48
Troll control:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Smileys/IgnoreKirkMcQuest.jpgSpeaking as a part-time troll I find that very offensive.

You misspelled "wouldn't." ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-05-2008, 10:30
Speaking as a part-time troll I find that very offensive.

You misspelled "wouldn't." ;)You're never a troll - rowdy sometimes, but never a troll.

Love,

Dyslexic Dino

Excitable Hiker
04-05-2008, 13:22
PA Rose wrote:

nothing unmanly about admitting pain and misery when you're risking permanent injury.

Nothing further from the truth. Chas Michael Michaels sucked it up and continued skating with a serious fracture. Rock is pussy!:D

Thru Hiker Wife
04-05-2008, 13:28
PA Rose wrote:

Nothing further from the truth. Chas Michael Michaels sucked it up and continued skating with a serious fracture. Rock is pussy!:D

:eek: Oh my. There's a pack of roaming idiots on the WB. Someone notify the authorities and please...protect your women, children and small animals.:D

warraghiyagey
04-05-2008, 14:10
You're never a troll - rowdy sometimes, but never a troll.

Love,

Dyslexic Dino

Rowdy??? Did someone say rowdy sometimes?
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/angelic002.gif

Hooch
04-05-2008, 14:14
PA Rose wrote:

:eek: Oh my. There's a pack of roaming idiots on the WB. Someone notify the authorities and please...protect your women, children and small animals.:D
You know, it's my theory that idiots like this who come in and stir the pot right off the bat are a few of same people over and over again. I may be wrong, but who knows? They come in, make a few comments, split and make a new ID a few weeks or so later and continue the process like that guy a while back who was trying to get eveyone to quit saying "thru-hike" or Wild Cowboy, etc.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-05-2008, 14:18
You know, it's my theory that idiots like this who come in and stir the pot right off the bat are a few of same people over and over again. I may be wrong, but who knows? They come in, make a few comments, split and make a new ID a few weeks or so later and continue the process like that guy a while back who was trying to get eveyone to quit saying "thru-hike" or Wild Cowboy, etc.

:-?Ahhh, yes, I have considered this possibility as well. Such a shame.:mad:

Back on topic:

Rock, I hope you are on the mend. I know Dixi and the kids are happy you're homeand I'm sure you are as well. Tell everyone I said hi (and Dixi that I miss our midnight and 8am phone calls). Y'all take care!

warraghiyagey
Idiots make me feel smarter.:o

generoll
then why must we feed the Trolls? arguing with them only encourages them. Hooch, I know your motives are pure, but just make them invisible.

Hooch
04-05-2008, 14:20
then why must we feed the Trolls? arguing with them only encourages them. Hooch, I know your motives are pure, but just make them invisible.GR, you're a wise man. I appreciate your advice. :)

Thru Hiker Wife
04-05-2008, 14:20
then why must we feed the Trolls? arguing with them only encourages them. Hooch, I know your motives are pure, but just make them invisible.

Nope, nope. This was my fault. I usually do ignore but sometimes they get the best of me.:o

Flush2wice
04-05-2008, 14:21
Maybe you guys should google "Chazz Michael Michaels" before jumping to conclusions.

JAK
04-05-2008, 14:21
Idiots make me feel smarter.:oA slap in the face makes me try to feel smarter.
;)

KirkMcquest
04-05-2008, 14:22
That's what makes someone like Mcquest so unique. I have endured the hatred, the barbs, and arrows of the haters here on WB. I have not wavered, backed down or flipflopped.

Say what you will, Mcquest ALWAYS comes through the front door.

JAK
04-05-2008, 14:26
Are you refering to "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" ?