PDA

View Full Version : Today's Deal!!!

bredler
01-04-2008, 14:22
One Great Deal Each Day- Outdoor daily

Now has, on 1/4/08, for you the consumer for your outdoor recreation needs...
...A 200,000 Volt STUN GUN!!:eek:

I question the outdoor recreation enthusiast's need for one of these:-? ...

travis71
01-04-2008, 14:37
fishing? heh

Blissful
01-04-2008, 14:43
Well, from what's happening on Blood Mtn with that hiker maybe we do need something like that. Sad. It really stinks what happened to that gal. It gets me mad that women can't go and hike without fearing some wacked out maniac cruising the trails.

take-a-knee
01-04-2008, 14:45
fishing? heh

Fence chargers are better for fishing...everything bites at 6 amps.

Sly
01-04-2008, 18:16
Well, from what's happening on Blood Mtn with that hiker maybe we do need something like that. Sad. It really stinks what happened to that gal. It gets me mad that women can't go and hike without fearing some wacked out maniac cruising the trails.

We only know she's missing. We don't know what happened.

Appalachian Tater
01-04-2008, 18:56
You need a weapon to defend yourself from prejudiced rednecks.

pedal
01-04-2008, 22:21

Not only women, but anyone on the trail needs to be concerned. Apparently a couple went missing in North Carolina in October. The woman was found murdered and the man hasn 't been found yet.
See the article here.
http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200771113131&source=rss

I carry protection with me, but I'm not convinced that I'm always in a position to access it quickly enough should the element of surprise be the first and/or primary weapon someone would choose to use against me.
This incident will not keep me off the trail, but it will certainly remind me that we all need to be more aware of our surroundings and observant of others that we might encounter on the trail and off.

I really don't believe Meredith is anywhere on the mountain or trail, but she probaby was taken away against her will. I really feel very sad for what her parents must be going through. Meredith and her family are in my prayers for sure.

SS

take-a-knee
01-04-2008, 22:32
You need a weapon to defend yourself from prejudiced rednecks.

So "predjudiced rednecks" equals sociopaths?

bredler
01-04-2008, 22:36
Not only women, but anyone on the trail needs to be concerned. Apparently a couple went missing in North Carolina in October. The woman was found murdered and the man hasn 't been found yet.
See the article here.

I carry protection with me, but I'm not convinced that I'm always in a position to access it quickly enough should the element of surprise be the first and/or primary weapon someone would choose to use against me.
This incident will not keep me off the trail, but it will certainly remind me that we all need to be more aware of our surroundings and observant of others that we might encounter on the trail and off.

I really don't believe Meredith is anywhere on the mountain or trail, but she probaby was taken away against her will. I really feel very sad for what her parents must be going through. Meredith and her family are in my prayers for sure.

SS

SERIOUSLY?!?!

This post was to highlight the humor of a weapon being on an outdoor gear site. There's already a thread for being sad about a lost hiker. I agree, it is sad and unfortunate, but do it there eh?

take-a-knee
01-04-2008, 22:37
See the article here.

SS

You wouldn't have a chance to defend yourself against a DC "sniper", you will have ample oppourtunity to defend yourself against a Charles Manson.

pedal
01-05-2008, 09:12
You wouldn't have a chance to defend yourself against a DC "sniper", you will have ample oppourtunity to defend yourself against a Charles Manson.

Agreed.

SS

DavidNH
01-05-2008, 10:00
Well I would have to ask first, is it even legal for a private person to own something like this?

Even if it is, 1) why would a hiker want one and 2) what good could it possibly do? Won't stop a bear and it can't be much good against a sniper.

David

Mrs Baggins
01-05-2008, 10:24

My husband and son can go out trail running or hiking in the woods all by themselves anytime. My husband never understands why I won't go out hiking alone. This incident in GA explains why. The same with travel, domestic or international. A guy can go anywhere but a woman alone is ALWAYS having to look over her shoulder, watch her every move, be aware of every person around her, etc. The women you see on travel shows "traveling solo" ? No, they're not. They have a production crew with them at all times. :mad:

Del Q
01-05-2008, 10:47
To me, it would be a sad day when hikers need to consider weapons on the trail. I figure my smell and two hiking poles should be enough in most cases against animals, snakes, bears, people, etc. Percentage wise, the odds are better in the woods than in the city, to me, the biggest risk is personal injury. Tough place for single females.

Del Q

pure_mahem
01-05-2008, 22:12
I find a walking stick, a trail axe, and a 9mm work pretty darn well as protection for me!

oops56
01-05-2008, 22:35
I be ok one look at me they be gone:eek: :eek:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_vikingwok.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/vikingwok.jpg)

bredler
01-08-2008, 04:23
Well I would have to ask first, is it even legal for a private person to own something like this?

Even if it is, 1) why would a hiker want one and 2) what good could it possibly do? Won't stop a bear and it can't be much good against a sniper.

David

depends on the state. In VA, yeah they're legal and cheap.

zoidfu
01-08-2008, 04:31
The couple that was murdered at the old Thelma Marks shelter(now Cove Mountain shelter) in PA were sleeping. The man was shot right off the bat in his sleeping bag. Not exactly a sniper... A manson type not that they could have done much.

Tobit
01-08-2008, 10:25
We only know she's missing. We don't know what happened.
She's officially dead now. :( Link (http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/08/georgia.hiker/index.html)

They need to fry that mofo!!