PDA

View Full Version : Hot spring to Gatlinburg

sansancc
01-04-2008, 21:39
I was thinking about taking my first bacpacking trip in the beginning of march. I was wanting something that is going to give me the full experince, and something kinda close to home. I was thinking about going from Hot Springs to Gatlinburg(my home town), maybe a little further. How meny days would this trip take if I hiked about 10 miles a day and took 2 days off in the middle to chill out?
If anyone is interested in joining me let me know, I have just started planning and could use some advice.:-?

Thanks, Cassandra

Lone Wolf
01-04-2008, 21:43
I was thinking about taking my first bacpacking trip in the beginning of march. I was wanting something that is going to give me the full experince, and something kinda close to home. I was thinking about going from Hot Springs to Gatlinburg(my home town), maybe a little further. How meny days would this trip take if I hiked about 10 miles a day and took 2 days off in the middle to chill out?
If anyone is interested in joining me let me know, I have just started planning and could use some advice.:-?

Thanks, Cassandra

it's 67 miles. 8 days. have fun

sansancc
01-04-2008, 21:48
Is there plenty of water avaliable?
How meny camp sites?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2008, 21:50
gallons of water and mega campsites

sansancc
01-04-2008, 21:51
thank you

sansancc
01-04-2008, 22:01
Are there any resupply stops along the way or will I have to bring all my food with me?

Pedaling Fool
01-04-2008, 22:04
Are there any resupply stops along the way or will I have to bring all my food with me?
Yes: http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1

sansancc
01-04-2008, 22:17
How far from mountain mamm's to Hot Springs? Sorry about all the ?'s just gettin the facts.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2008, 22:19
How far from mountain mamm's to Hot Springs? Sorry about all the ?'s just gettin the facts.

35.8 miles

sansancc
01-06-2008, 16:27
How far would it be from Hot Spring to Max Patch? Love the view from there.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 16:28
19.8 miles

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 16:29
~20 miles

Bearpaw
01-06-2008, 16:35

Mountain Mommas is closed. For good.

However, about three miles north of Davenport Gap (the route down to Mountain Momma's), you'll hit Standing Bear Farm an Hostel. It'sw a good stop and they have resupply there. You could also probably manage to bet a lift to a grocery if you really need it.

http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/

Also, consider a copy of the Thru-hiker's Companion which will give good town info for all the AT, including the sections you're looking at walking. Also, I would suggest taking lowland trails through the Smokies to Gatlinburg. Getting permits for the AT shelters can be a pain, since you're not a thru-hiker, and you can avoid a lot of hiker traffic and (if you're going soon) snow and ice on the AT.

Best of luck with your hike.

Hikerhead
01-06-2008, 16:35

Mtn Mamma's was closed and sold. There is parking at Big Creek campground and the AT can be reached in 2 miles from there by using the Chestnut Trail.

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2008, 16:37
Sansancc:

Since you're writing from Gatlinburg, I suggest you visit the excellent outfitter there, the Happy Hiker. The staff there could answer many of your questions, help you with gear, and most important of all, they could supply you with maps and guidebooks which will be very useful on your trip, and will also answer many of your questions about such things as distances, road crossing; campsites, water sources, etc. Also, you'll get information on facilities for hikers; re-supply locations, etc. (I couldn't help but notice that you asked about Mountain Momma's......are you aware that this place has closed? This is PRECISELY the sort of info that you'll find if you buy one of Trail guidebooks such as the Thru Hikers Companion or the Thru Hikers Handbook. Both of these works will be avilable in the new 2008 editions in a week or two, and I suggest you pick one up).

BobbyNoel
01-06-2008, 16:41
The Happy Hiker & Mt. Bluff outfitters in Hot Springs are both fabulous for info and everything else you need.
Rob
Fort Lauderdale

BobbyNoel
01-06-2008, 16:42
PS: Standing Bear Farm can be described in many ways, "flavor" might be one of them; a unique experience.
Rob
Fort Lauderdale

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2008, 17:10
Bobby is correct, Bluff Mt. is one the 3 or 4 finest outfitters on the entire Trail, and is a great place to gear shop, and also a great place to Re-Supply.

sansancc
01-06-2008, 18:35
Thanx guys, I go down to the happy hiker on my day off, I've been in there befor, about a year ago, and they didn't have much of a selection.

sansancc
01-06-2008, 19:07
What is the address to standing bear farm?

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 19:17
http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/