PDA

View Full Version : Dated? Or Not?

rafe
01-04-2008, 23:41
There's an old book that I like to refer to. It's by Roland Mueser and the title is Long Distance Hiking. Published in 1998, it's all about thru-hiking the AT, with most of the info garnered from questionaires filled out by thru-hikers of the Class of 1989.

So yeah, it's dated. Question is, is it still relevant? Discuss. Nicely, please.

I'll say heck yeah (still relevant) and as Exhibit A, I present Carol Moore's (Lagunatic's) Hiker Menu, scanned from Page 102 (the chapter on Food, Calories and Weight.)

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/lugnuts_menu.jpg

nitewalker
01-04-2008, 23:56
There's an old book that I like to refer to. It's by Roland Mueser and the title is Long Distance Hiking. Published in 1998, it's all about thru-hiking the AT, with most of the info garnered from questionaires filled out by thru-hikers of the Class of 1989.

So yeah, it's dated. Question is, is it still relevant? Discuss. Nicely, please.

I'll say heck yeah (still relevant) and as Exhibit A, I present Carol Moore's (Lagunatic's) Hiker Menu, scanned from Page 102 (the chapter on Food, Calories and Weight.)

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/lugnuts_menu.jpg

i belive my buddy pitdog has this book. :rolleyes:

sarbar
01-05-2008, 01:47
Relvant :D

jrwiesz
01-05-2008, 09:37
How come there is no _too[relavant is my vote] in terrapin any more?

Peaks
01-06-2008, 11:06
Dated? somewhat. Certainly some equipment has changed. For example, alcohol stoves dominate currently, and very few external frame packs anymore. But, I suspect that many of the things have not changed, such as time off the trail, duration, etc.

The only way to know is for someone to do another survey. Various attempts have been made, but I have not seen results. I certainly would be interested in an updated survey, done exclusively with recent thru-hikers.

Deadeye
01-06-2008, 11:17
It's absolutely relevant, and fascinating to look at the changes since he collected his data (which is somewhat older than the 1998 publishing date). For instance, in the survey of pack brands, external frames outnumbered internal frames 89 to 65, and Granite Gear wasn't even on the list (nor was Osprey). My own casual observance now is that internals out number externals by a good 10 to 1 margin, and Granite Gear and Osprey packs are everywhere.

Still, lots of other things don't change, so it's an interesting book.

rafe
01-06-2008, 11:26
Some things certainly have changed:

* hikers starting earlier at Springer now
* hikers are (mostly) using poles, and lighter packs
* stove choice (Whisperlites out, alcohol and canisters in)
* hikers are using lighter boots, trail runners
* there are a few more "zones" and established hostels now
* cell phones weren't in common use back in Mueser's day

On some matters, Mueser is prescient. For example, on the issues of water treatment and footwear... But really, IMO, the overall issues facing long-distance hikers haven't changed that much. Just a few details relating to gear.

Bearpaw
01-06-2008, 12:12
It is relevant just to get potential thru's thinking about stuff they might not have otherwise pondered beforehand. I loved the section on water treatment. (Note: those who never treated their water had the lowest incidence of water-borne illness, for example.) I read it just before I began my thru-hike.

Also of note, there will likely be a NEW variation of this book coming out with much more recent samples, from the late 90's through 2004, that Johnny Swank is putting together. Unlike Roland Mueser, who had to distribute questionnaires while he thru-hiked, Johnny Swank harnessed the power of the internet to get many more completed questionaires than Mueser. I will interested to see results and what format he releases them in.

rafe
01-06-2008, 14:01
Also of note, there will likely be a NEW variation of this book coming out with much more recent samples, from the late 90's through 2004, that Johnny Swank is putting together. Unable Roland Mueser, who had to distribute questionnaires while he thru-hiked, Johnny Swank harnessed the power of the internet to get many more completed questionaires than Mueser. It will interested to see results and what format he releases them in.

For those who haven't read the book, be aware that Mueser was no packsniffing academic weenie. He succesfully thru-hiked with the class of '89. He was in his mid-fifites at the time. He knows the issues as a thru-hiker. A handful of his questionnaires were filled out by folks who'd hiked before '89.

rafe
01-06-2008, 14:03
PS., in the above post I wasn't trying to suggest that J. Swank was in any way a "packsniffing academic weenie." It was meant in praise of Mueser, not to detract in the least from J. Swank's forthcoming work (which I look forward to seeing!!)

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2008, 14:57
Well, Terrapin, if some of his questionaires were filled out by folks who hiked before 1989, then his work is even more dated than I first thought. That was ahile ago.

All I know is that if I were a newbie, or if I were planning a thru-hike today, I'd put more credence in information from folks who'd hiked in the past few years than I would from people who had hiked two decades ago.

I look forward to Johnny's book.

rafe
01-06-2008, 15:26
Jack, relax. Nobody's remotely suggesting that this book should be anybody's exclusive reference on the AT. Just out of curiosity, have you read the book or seriously examined the content? I'm guessing from your comments that you have not.

Darwin again
01-06-2008, 15:46
Relevant. It's an odd but good read.:o

bearbait2k4
01-06-2008, 16:20
I think it's quite relevant - the perfect book to read to prepare for a thru-hike attempt. It gives the basics, and answers many questions that first-timers have quite succinctly. If you look at the demographics of people attempting the AT thru-hike, there are quite a few that have never experienced a long-distance hike in this magnitude, so there will typically be a number of basic questions without really getting into specifics and being too preachy on what one should do with their hike. It also delves into the important issues that a greenhorn may not even think about. In essense, it prepares you for the trail, which is what I would expect from a Q & A book about the AT.

All in all, I think it's still a great reference, as a basic guide to what you need and what to expect. A person can then go from that starting point, and formulate his or her own plans. Sure, it's a little more old-school than what modern LDH has become, but I don't believe it's all that dated.

notorius tic
01-06-2008, 16:21
The only relatived thing is the actual e relatixity of it all(pass your self 1 or more times in this life) an YOU just might find yourSELF<:

turtle fast
01-06-2008, 16:38
I currently own the book, I agree their are still alot of relevant issues in the book. You could still have a happy thru hike if you used the older gear that he had expounded on. I though have to agree about cell phones and internet usage since his book was published....changes the ease of information.

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2008, 16:50
Um, Terrapin, don't assume things you know nothing about.

I own the book, have read the book, and have seriously examined its contents, tho I haven't looked at it in years.

It's out of date.

warren doyle
01-06-2008, 18:05
I generally favor all narratives/'research' surveys from before the mid-90's: Roland, OD Coyote, Ed Kuni, Cindy Ross, David Brill, Bill Irwin. I liked the long distance hiking subculture of that era more than the present subculture. Ed Kuni never paid for any indoor lodging during his flood-disrupted yo-yo. More people slept under the stars and followed the white blazes. There were less smokers and partiers. Hikers had a tendency to walk from mountaintop to mountaintop rather than from town to town. Conversations were more focused on the natural beauty and challenges of the trail, not which hostel one was going to stay at in Erwin.

Roland Mueser and O.W. Lacy did very good qualitative reserach during this era.

emerald
01-06-2008, 20:24
Roland Mueser and O.W. Lacy did very good qualitative reserach during this era.

I remember a bit of advice O.W. gave me many years ago; he was absolutely right.

Was his MBTIŽ research related to A.T. thru-hikers ever compiled and published and is there any place it can be read online?

A-Train
01-06-2008, 22:24
Well, Terrapin, if some of his questionaires were filled out by folks who hiked before 1989, then his work is even more dated than I first thought. That was ahile ago.

All I know is that if I were a newbie, or if I were planning a thru-hike today, I'd put more credence in information from folks who'd hiked in the past few years than I would from people who had hiked two decades ago.

I look forward to Johnny's book.

Who's Johnny?

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 22:28
Who's Johnny?

johnny swank

A-Train
01-06-2008, 22:29
What's his book gonna be about?

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 22:31
What's his book gonna be about?

www.sourcetosea.net/thruhiker/study.html

ofthearth
01-07-2008, 15:58
It is relevant just to get potential thru's thinking about stuff they might not have otherwise pondered beforehand. I loved the section on water treatment. (Note: those who never treated their water had the lowest incidence of water-borne illness, for example.) I read it just before I began my thru-hike.

The real interesting part is on page 98 where he talks about how illness get passed around and refers to a workshop at the 13th ALDHA (1994) that asked about sharing water, plates, food etc looking for some insight in light of the above info. "No significant correlation was found. That is, the higher contact level o fsome hikers with people was not matcher by a higher incidence of illness". "...suggest that the actual frequency of contamination in the water sources may be less than 1 percent". The whole chapter on Water: Its Joys and Perils is an interesting read.

ofthearth

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2008, 19:47
I'm willing to bet that the more frequent one's use of a shelter, the higher the rate of illness while on a thru-hike.

Just another good reason to avoid them, in my opinion.

The Old Fhart
01-07-2008, 21:03
Jack Tarlin-"Just another good reason to avoid them, in my opinion."What would Lone Wolf say about shelters? :-?

1Pint
01-07-2008, 21:29
I loved the book the first time I read it in 2006. Yes, some of the info is outdated but I think the greatest lesson a potential thru-hiker with limited prior backpacking experience could take away from reading the book would be: people have hiked the trail with all types of footwear, shelter, food, pack weights, resupply styles, and mileage variation. It just gives a slice of what has worked for others and lets the reader consider different options.

I'd definitely recommend it to any person considering a thru without very many trips under his/her hipbelt.

Jester2000
01-07-2008, 22:13
I own this book and read it before I hiked. I found it useful then, and though it's a few years on from then, I think it's still a good read. The parts about gear are outdated, but I doubt anyone would be using it for that anyway, what will all of the other sources available on the subject (including good opinions found here).

As an aside, I recall the days when this book was compiled as an unprecedented and since unsurpassed period of nonsmoking and nondrinking, when motives were pure, the women chaste, the locals unlikely to beat the tar out of you as you stood in a town with a sign that self righteously berated local officials, when fully cooked steaks hung from the trees and there was an abundance of windmills at which to tilt.

Still, the book holds up -- with a few, as Yogi would say, caveats.

Jim Adams
01-08-2008, 20:47
As an aside, I recall the days when this book was compiled as an unprecedented and since unsurpassed period of nonsmoking and nondrinking, when motives were pure,

If I'm not mistaken the book was compiled using 1989 and 1990 thru hiker info.

I thru'd in '90 and smoked 2 packs of Marlboros a day and drank enough beer to float a battleship...and I wasn't alone.

geek

rafe
01-08-2008, 22:14
Wingy hiked in '90 and smoked. I remember folks razzing him about that. I'd been smoke-free for a year before starting.... and within a few weeks on the trail, I was smoking again... :o

Jim Adams
01-08-2008, 22:39
I smoked thru both of my AT thru hikes...2 packs /day / the whole way. I've since quit, feel better and don't miss it but I have to wonder...the only thru that I have failed at was this year on the PCT...w/o smokes!

geek

warren doyle
01-16-2008, 21:42
I remember a bit of advice O.W. gave me many years ago; he was absolutely right.

Was his MBTIŽ research related to A.T. thru-hikers ever compiled and published and is there any place it can be read online?

I don't know whether OW's results were ever published. I do remember him reporting the results at several Gatherings though.

yappy
01-16-2008, 22:02
I am not sure if you guys wanna hear this but i hiked in 89 and the author flashed me ! in fact, he just stood there with his shorts half way down. it was very strange cuz he was a super nice guy .. but, yikes !..lol... it takes all kinds on these trails.

rafe
01-16-2008, 22:06
Roland Mueser flashed you? !!! From the photo he looks like such a mild mannered old geezer.

yappy
01-16-2008, 22:09
lol....yes he does. it was very strange and he did it more then once... and none of us knew quite what to think.... none of us felt threatened by him though at all.. seemed very ordinary and nice.

jrwiesz
01-17-2008, 16:27
lol....yes he does. it was very strange and he did it more then once... and none of us knew quite what to think.... none of us felt threatened by him though at all.. seemed very ordinary and nice.

Maybe, he was just "airing it out"? Maybe, he didn't see y'all?:-?