PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag suggestions

Walchok98
01-05-2008, 09:41
I have a 40* ultra light bag that I use alot here in FL, I am planning a 15 day hike in GA-NC in late March or early April. I was wondering if I could get away with this bag at this time of the year with a micro fleece liner and sleeping in a tent w/ thermarest pad. I also own a 0* ba but it is more than twice the size and weight and I would rather not take it if I dont have to. Let me know what suggestions you have and if I need to purchase a bag what type. Money is always and issue.....

SC Ryan
01-05-2008, 09:59
what brand/model is your 40* bag?

DavidNH
01-05-2008, 10:05
If you are hiking the AT through Georgia and Nortch Carolina from mid march to April ..you can expect some nights to fall into the 20's or even teens, especially at the high elevations of the smokies where you will in some cases be camping over 5000, feet and often over 4000 feet. You will be cold and uncomfortable in an ultral light sleeping bag rated only to 40 F.

A zero degree bag maybe overkill but at least you'd be toasty warm.

Consider investing in or renting or borrowing a 20 degree down bag. I know down is useless when wet, just be sure it stays dry (waterproof stuff sack and plastic bag

I hiked the AT a little over a year ago starting late march..and I can tell you there were some cooooooooooold mornings (brrr!).

DavidNH

DavidNH
01-05-2008, 10:09
Just re read your post. You plan to use a liner and sleep in a tent. That will help..not quite so miserable. I'd still want a warmer bag though. Oh and bring if you can a fleece or wool hat. Lots of heat goes out through head.

I camped on top of Springer Mtn on March 21 in a 10 degree down bag, on an ensolite pad and in a tent. Still had to wear a hat and long underwear. Still was not real toasty. Probably my dummest mistakes on the trail where to camp on a summit and once on a ridge top. those are windy places!

highway
01-05-2008, 10:11
I used a 30-35F sleeping bag for early April and will do so again. But it is a good bag, Feathered Friends and it is down. a 0F bag is hugely overkill as well as being an unnecessary weight burden. If it gets colder, wear some clothes to bed.

maxNcathy
01-05-2008, 10:47
Late march and early April saw temps of 85F to 13F in Ga and NC.
Most nights in my tent were above 40F.
Wear down coat,wool socks and hat to help on freezing nights.
Sandalwood

PS Now is the time to sleep out in the cold to test what gear will do the trick.
Have a great hike!

Cindy from Indy
01-05-2008, 15:41
I just bought my last piece of gear. A 40F Ultralight, Super Stretch Montebell/Regular. It will stretch to 71" at the shoulder. I will be in a tent, using a bag liner and wearing my thermals at night, if necessary. I have quite a bit of my own 'padding' also and sleep very 'hot'. I am figuring that as the months roll by, perhaps some of this padding will melt and I will sleep cooler. We shall see ;)

flagator
01-05-2008, 17:12
If I were you, I'd get atleast a 20F bag. Nothing is worse than having a long cold night after a long day on the trail. If you scope out ebay you can find some great deals on feathered friends, western mountaineering, and marmots. you have plenty of time to look for deals.

HikerRanky
01-05-2008, 17:29
I would recommend either renting or purchasing a 20 degree bag... I have a BA Crystal 30 and a BA Horse Thief 35 for layering.... Haven't had any issues with being cold....

Randy

Thirsty_River
01-05-2008, 17:43
Campmor.com has the following on the cheap:
Kelty Lightyear 3D 25* Syn Bag -- $80 -- I just bought this one, good so far
Campmor 20* Down Bag -- $110 -- I think thats the price???