PDA

View Full Version : gorp-tastrophe

CoyoteWhips
01-05-2008, 11:27
This morning I'm making a snack mix; rolled oats, raisins, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon. I've got it all in a plastic container shaking the hell out it and the top pops off.

"Oh, look, there are raisins in the kitty litter box."

Hooch
01-05-2008, 11:37
This morning I'm making a snack mix; rolled oats, raisins, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon. I've got it all in a plastic container shaking the hell out it and the top pops off.

"Oh, look, there are raisins in the kitty litter box."That's gorp-tastic CW. :D It wouldn't be so funny if I hadn't had similar things happen to me beofore. I was at work one night and added some Propel powder to a 500 ml Nalgene with cold water to shake. I was busy holding a conversation at the same time and started to shake without putting the cap on all the way, so cold water and Propel was everywhere, including on me. I had to change scrubs, the whole 9 yards. I'd rather have your mess, it least you can sweep that up. :D

kayak karl
01-05-2008, 14:00

if princess(my dog) was there she would eat those raisins. she eats every thing else is the litter box:D
keep your eye out for "trail bucket thread" we will get those shorts clean:)

the rad scientist

CoyoteWhips
01-05-2008, 15:15
if princess(my dog) was there she would eat those raisins. she eats every thing else is the litter box:D

Should probably keep Princess away from the raisins! Bad for her (http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp).

Spirit Walker
01-05-2008, 15:23
If you are making gorp for mail drops, beware of putting in walnuts. They get moldy when stored in hot places. Ours grew a nasty grey fuzz.

Cuffs
01-05-2008, 16:03
she eats every thing else is the litter box:D

Mmm, doggie "snow caps."

Montego
01-06-2008, 01:24
A 20 oz mug of reheated coffee slipped out of my hand while removing it from the microwave last night. I watched about 18 oz of it flow across the counter and off the edge. Unfortunately, Piper the cat, was in the wrong place at the wrong time. S'pose she'll get over it sooner or later :(

CoyoteWhips
01-06-2008, 08:50
If you are making gorp for mail drops, beware of putting in walnuts. They get moldy when stored in hot places. Ours grew a nasty grey fuzz.

Oh, yuck! Good to know, but in this case the gorp won't make it through the day. I was just in the mood for a snack.

Marta
01-06-2008, 09:08
You eat GORP at home?

That's desperately cabin-feverish.

canerunner
01-06-2008, 10:02
You eat GORP at home?

That's desperately cabin-feverish.

Well, I guess I must have a bad case of cabin fever on a continuous basis! :D

I love to snack on GORP. It's a staple of my snack selection. It's a lot healthier than potato chips or similar things.

I make my GORP with dried fruit, sun flower seeds, cashews, raisins, peanuts, and for the trail I add M&Ms. I usually make up a batch of about 5 pounds at a time, then just keep a Ziplock bag with a little bit in it around to snack from. The rest has to stay hidden away, or it disappears really fast.

A figure that I shouldn't have to save a good thing for use only on the trail! :banana

envirodiver
01-07-2008, 17:07
There is a scarf dog that lives in my house. If any food hits the floor you had best not reach for it or you will come back w/ a nub. She then licks the floor. I've thought about scattering small pieces of food across the kitchen floor and TA DA...no more mopping. If she ever figures out to trip us as we carry plates of food it could get ugly.

Kirby
01-07-2008, 21:42
GORP is a nice snack.

Have you all ever tried to brush your teeth while facing strong wind? A lot more complicated than it may seem. You see, when you go to spray the liquid from your mouth, apparently you should face AWAY from the wind, not INTO the wind. It all landed on my face.

Kirby

CoyoteWhips
01-07-2008, 22:14
apparently you should face AWAY from the wind, not INTO the wind. It all landed on my face.

Remember that lesson when you go to take a leak.

If she ever figures out to trip us as we carry plates of food it could get ugly.

That's more of a cat thing.

bigboots
01-07-2008, 22:29
Come on everyone, have you never gone to college (exception Kirby). At least the places I have lived at I now am very familiar with many varieties of mold and other fungi. At least now that I live alone, I know what it started out as before the fuzz grew.:eek:

Bananas are the worst!:banana

Bigboots

warraghiyagey
01-08-2008, 01:23

5 second rule still applies.

warraghiyagey
01-08-2008, 01:25
GORP is a nice snack.

Have you all ever tried to brush your teeth while facing strong wind? A lot more complicated than it may seem. You see, when you go to spray the liquid from your mouth, apparently you should face AWAY from the wind, not INTO the wind. It all landed on my face.

Kirby
Dork.

:p :p :)

envirodiver
01-08-2008, 13:20
Some words of wisdom from an old timer:

You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with jim

Jim Croce provides words to live by

JAK
01-08-2008, 13:34
In certain single handed sailing boats such the Laser, and particularly the Finn, you must piss into the wind, else you will capsize. I am not sure, but this may be where the expression originated. Those Finn sailers are a particularly randy bunch. One guy named his boat "Pissing in the wind". It is also a metaphor for futility, but so is dinghy sailing for most of us. Still worth doing.