PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Trail Journals?

tlw08
01-05-2008, 11:53
I've been reading several Trail Journals logs of NOBO thru hikes as I will be undertaking one this year.

I'm wondering if there are any particularly recommended journals? I've started reading quite a few now and they range in quality from mostly bad to worse, in terms of writing for any sort of audience.

Are there any (preferrably recent) journals that anyone would recommend to me? I'm not looking for some professional recount, but at least something palatable.

:) :) :-?

jlb2012
01-05-2008, 12:04
I liked Bird Legs TJ from last year

Tin Man
01-05-2008, 12:25
Twofer is someone I picked early as most likely to finish and he did. I followed his journal throughout his hike. It was not so entertaining as it was a daily diary.

tlw08
01-05-2008, 12:44
Like I said, it's not "entertainment" per se that I'm looking for, just something that's readable by someone who doesn't know the person writing.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 13:02
Gatorgumpy from the class of 2007 was a good journal.

Kirby

Tin Man
01-05-2008, 13:18
Gatorgumpy from the class of 2007 was a good journal.

Kirby

As long as you don't emulate some of his inappropriate behaviors.

Bulldawg
01-05-2008, 13:20
Zero was pretty entaining from 2007. Not exactly the "WAY" to get it done, but entertaining nonetheless.

warren doyle
01-05-2008, 13:26
If it is important for you to accomplish walking the entire AT, then I highly suggest Mr. Ed's 2007 Trail Journal. This 60+ y.o. had all the right elements to succeed and he even forded the Kennebec.
If you are a partier, then I don't recommend it.

burger
01-05-2008, 14:07
Birdlegs from 2007 is terrific. Breakaleg's from 2005 is great, too (though she didn't finish the trail, it's still worth the read). Check 'em out...

Hooch
01-05-2008, 14:12
The Trailjournals from Persistent and Certain were very good and very well written, if you ask me. I'm sorry that Certain didn't finish, but she'll be back on and wrap it up some time soon, I'm sure.

Hooch
01-05-2008, 14:13
The Trailjournals from Persistent and Certain were very good and very well written, if you ask me. I'm sorry that Certain didn't finish, but she'll be back on and wrap it up some time soon, I'm sure.Both Class of 2007, sorry.

emerald
01-05-2008, 14:32
If it is important for you to accomplish walking the entire AT, then I highly suggest Mr. Ed's 2007 Trail Journal.

Thanks, I haven't read that journal.

You've indicated you also recommend reading journals of those who stop hiking before they'd planned. I realize many people who find themselves in that situation don't record their thoughts or explore them in great detail and then publish them. Would you share with us what you think to be one of the more helpful journals in that category? (No sarcasm intended)

Roots
01-05-2008, 15:30
The Trailjournals from Persistent and Certain were very good and very well written, if you ask me. I'm sorry that Certain didn't finish, but she'll be back on and wrap it up some time soon, I'm sure.
DITTO!!! I love these gals!! I also enjoyed Uncle Tom('07) and Obie Reynolds--SOBO '07.

Bulldawg
01-05-2008, 15:43

I followed both of them from the start but lost track around July. I need to go back and finish.

River Runner
01-05-2008, 23:16
Try Blissful's.

Marta
01-05-2008, 23:18
Liteshoe's 2003 journal is very good.

A-Train
01-06-2008, 04:20
Liteshoe's 2003 journal is very good.

Here's a second for Jan's journal. A truly gifted writer and a great woman!

Roots
01-06-2008, 12:59
Try Blissful's.
I always forget someone...Definitely enjoyed Blissful's journal. I am also going back a few years to look at Jan's. :)

warren doyle
01-06-2008, 17:48
Thanks, I haven't read that journal.

You've indicated you also recommend reading journals of those who stop hiking before they'd planned. I realize many people who find themselves in that situation don't record their thoughts or explore them in great detail and then publish them. Would you share with us what you think to be one of the more helpful journals in that category? (No sarcasm intended)

Cherokee Tom's 2007 AT Journal is an example of futile stubborness.

the_iceman
01-06-2008, 18:31
I hiked with her a good part of the northern third and I know her hit counter was way up there. On her journal I mean but she is pretty cute as well so maybe her other hit counter is high also. :D Great sense of humor and probably bitches a lot less than I do in my journal. She also never labeled herself as a thru-hiker or a purist so did not start out with anything to prove. She is an incredibly independent woman I deeply respect.

emerald
01-06-2008, 19:25
People interested in learning about A.T. hikes prior to the mid-1970s should read Hiking the Appalachian Trail.

AFAIK there is only 1 journal from that era online, Earl Shaffer's 1965 MEGA hike, which I recently re-read. His entries are short, but they serve to illustrate how some things about hiking the A.T. have changed while others remain much as they were then.

Cannibal
01-07-2008, 13:45
This 60+ y.o. had all the right elements to succeed and he even forded the Kennebec.

What elements were you able to pick-up from reading the journal that made you believe he would complete? Not being a smart-ass, just wondering what to look for. My experience with some of the journals is that they talk really big then all the sudden they don't post anymore. I didn't have good luck picking successful thrus in 07. What am I missing?

Tipi Walter
01-07-2008, 13:55
People interested in learning about A.T. hikes prior to the mid-1970s should read Hiking the Appalachian Trail.

AFAIK there is only 1 journal from that era online, Earl Shaffer's 1965 MEGA hike, which I recently re-read. His entries are short, but they serve to illustrate how some things about hiking the A.T. have changed while others remain much as they were then.

Totally agree on the book blurb, great reading in both volumes. There are some online AT journals set in the 1970s, just gotta google trail journals and find Old and New, etc.

When I attempt to read reports on Trail Journals.com, I seem to get bogged down with the names of many people I don't know and probably never will. In addition, there seems to be a driving force to get off the trail frequently and a mean desire to hit the showers and rooms of motels. It makes for some stunted trip reports.

I know my journals can get BORING what with repeating trails and a yawning exercise in describing weather conditions and tent placement, etc. But I do think a certain amount of solitude is needed on a backpacking trip to produce a half-interesting trail journal.

V8
01-07-2008, 18:01
I've been reading several Trail Journals logs of NOBO thru hikes as I will be undertaking one this year.

I'm wondering if there are any particularly recommended journals? I've started reading quite a few now and they range in quality from mostly bad to worse, in terms of writing for any sort of audience.

Are there any (preferrably recent) journals that anyone would recommend to me? I'm not looking for some professional recount, but at least something palatable.

:) :) :-?

Well, it depends a lot on what you're looking for - one person's thrilling read is another person's yawn...but I like a good blend of the practical along with the emotional, social, and maybe even spiritual experience. Don't forget that thru-hiking is extremely tedious at times - some of this fact is going to come through in the journaling, as a feature of the endeavor and not necessarily of the writer's skill or lack thereof.

I look for hiker/journalists I can relate to - i.e. middle-aged ladies (LiteShoe '03, Journey '03, Marta/Five Leaf Clover '06 immediately come to mind) . If you say more about your interests, people will recommend particular journalists. Big Red was great just for shear unlikeliness and wit.

Also, Hiking the Appalachian Trail, (Hare/Rodale Press) is just unsurpassed for a great mix of the real thing. Libraries have this 2 volume set - check it out. And, have fun - there is absolutely nothing like trail journals, IMHO, for a good time!

Kirby
01-07-2008, 18:59
When I read journals, I try to put myself in their mindset. I usually read all entries twice, the first time discovering the mood of the hiker for that entry, and then reading it with that in mind the second time around. I have never had a entry not be enjoyable the second time around.

Kirby

A-Train
01-07-2008, 19:12
I hear all the time that the majority of the journals on Trailjournals.com are boring, repetitive, and filled with mundane facts about daily trail life i.e. how many miles I hiked, what the weather was like, who I was hiking with, etc.

While many of the journal are guilty of this (mine included!) most of them are still THE best accounts of daily trail life. Meaning, if you're someone whose on the fence about whether a thru-hike is for you, these are precisely the accounts you should be reading. I always make sure to read a couple hikers' journals all the way thru before attempting a trail, to get an idea of what 150 odd days are like on this particular trip. It's easy enough to read that Virginia is long or that the Southern Cal desert is really hot and dry, but it's another thing to read an account of 24 straight days when the person is living through this reality.

That being said, some journals are definately better written than others

Kirby
01-07-2008, 22:49
I have just completed Birdleg's journal.

This woman made the toughest and smartest decision at the end of her hike. She was a mere 160ish miles from the end, and she made the smart decision to leave trail for her safety, and I commend her fully for her decision. I am not trying to re-open old wounds, I just wanted to personally congratulate her on a great hike, and for putting her safety first on the trail. I do hope he was caught.

Tough decisions are not easy, nor are they fun, but they must be made. We must always remember to put safety above everything else, when you compromise your safety, you compromise your trip.

Once again, smart decision Birdleg's, I stand 100% behind it.
Kevin

Spottzie
01-14-2008, 23:04
I really enjoyed Persistant's journal. I was really looking for a female close to my age to get her perspective of the trail. After going to some AT presentations at REI I started reading Reddane's 2006 journal. Very good read, but it took me awhile (it took her 8 months!) It is hard to pick from all those names, I agree!

Almost There
01-15-2008, 12:00
What elements were you able to pick-up from reading the journal that made you believe he would complete? Not being a smart-ass, just wondering what to look for. My experience with some of the journals is that they talk really big then all the sudden they don't post anymore. I didn't have good luck picking successful thrus in 07. What am I missing?

If you start to read the journal you can see that Mr. Ed attended Warren's Seminar/Class...so did the other guy that he mentioned. BTW, I did check them both out, and no I'm not being smarmy!