PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone skipping the...

ga>me>ak
12-23-2003, 10:48
traditional Christmas scene to go hiking and spend the night in a shelter?.

Blue Jay
12-23-2003, 10:55
No, but I did that for new years last year. Hiked in with a bottle, a few others had the same idea. We had a great time.

ga>me>ak
12-23-2003, 11:05
Sounds good. Wish I lived closer to the AT. Hike in with some spirits, some good eats-maybe couple pounds of shrimp, small string of batt operated Chris. lights, warm fire and some good company. maybe a couple of small gifts just in case someone else happened to shuffle in. Now That's a great Christmas.. in MHO.

Moon Monster
12-23-2003, 12:28
After amazon.com pushed my November order full of Christmas gifts back to Dec. 30th for delivery without giving me any alert before Dec. 19 that there was a problem, and after six of my nine other gifts fell through at three other merchants all within the last few days, I am so frustrated with the institution of Christmas gifts that I would love to get away this week. No better place here than the AT.

steve hiker
12-23-2003, 14:40
traditional Christmas scene to go hiking and spend the night in a shelter?.I"m gonna do a short AT section, but won't be able to leave until after Christmas. That holiday is nice if things work out just right, but more often it's just fulfilling obligations and not hurting people's feelings. Like this year.

Probably will start at Cosby in the smokies and end at Fontana. Maybe take the side trip to LeConte. Hope the weather over the next week to 10 days is mild enough so I can survive with my 20 degree Blue Kazoo and Jag Bag silk liner. If it gets down to 0 I'll have some real problems.

On a very positive development, I've got a ride from Fontana when I'm done. Won't have to pay $100 for a regular shuttle. I'd like to just whistle for my car but often it's off chasing female cars and doesn't come. Anyone else doing the smokies after xmas day?

Pabst
12-24-2003, 09:48
Leaving from Erwin the end of next week and heading to Hot springs... The weather looks like it going to be pretty good but that can change in a heartbeat. Let's see....partly cloudy or partly sunny????????

Hope everyone has a Merry X-mas!

smokymtnsteve
12-24-2003, 10:00
skip Xmas???some of us don't celebrate xmas anyway...