PDA

View Full Version : GPS help needed

Skuter
01-05-2008, 15:20
I'm having trouble downloading the GPS GIS info from ATC website onto MapSource topo 2008. Is there anyone that knows more about this than me. You're help would be greatly appreciated.

Cuffs
01-05-2008, 16:01
Easy GPS is a free software program that may help you convert the data... I use GSAK, but its for a small fee...

Skuter
01-05-2008, 16:56
thanks for your help. i got the shelters to pop up but i still can't figure out where to get the centerline.

Cuffs
01-05-2008, 17:57
the centerline is on the ATC's site... I think I have it "somewhere" but I'll have to look hard for it!

gulester
01-08-2008, 00:47
skuter,

I am assuming you are using a garmin gps receiver. It is possible to get the centerline data onto your garmin but it is a painful process as you can't directly download it as you are attempting. What I was able to do was create a transparent overlay map of the centerline data which was superimposed onto the garmin topos. I tried for countless hours to make the centerline a "road" that would be routable (so I would know the distance along the centerline) but was unable to do it.

Might I ask what you plan to use your gps for? I started my hike with the intention of geolabeling my pictures. I found the gps useful in the beginning when my hiking pace had not been established and you begin to question whether or not you passed the shelter. (it will happen especially when hiking solo, and the answer is 99% no) Later in the hike I was able to accurately know how far I had left to the shelter just using my watch becuase I knew how fast I hike. Eventually, I ended up sending it back home (ran out of batteries for a long strech and could no longer connect to satellites). By the way I still havent geolabeled any of my pictures.

PM me and I will be happy to send you what I have done if I can find it on my computer. (sidenote: the centerline data was a bit old and not always accurate, nor are all the shelters correctly located)

ki0eh
01-08-2008, 10:39
skuter,

I am assuming you are using a garmin gps receiver. It is possible to get the centerline data onto your garmin but it is a painful process as you can't directly download it as you are attempting.

Actually you can, using an obscure bit of free software:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html

gulester
01-08-2008, 19:06
good stuff...wish i would have known about that last year around this time

ki0eh
01-09-2008, 08:28
'Tis true, DNR Garmin doesn't have much of an ad budget but the price is right. :)