PDA

View Full Version : Lodging experiences in Erwin

Kirby
01-05-2008, 15:50
I am working on the assumption that Miss Janet may not be open for the 2008 NOBO thru hiker season when I hike thru.

I am curious if anyone has had a particularly good, or bad, experience at the other lodging options in downtown Erwin. I am mainly looking at the Super 8 or Clayton's Dogwood Inn.

Thanks,
Kirby

Jim Adams
01-05-2008, 15:58
although slightly out of town, holiday inn express has hot tubes.

geek

rafe
01-05-2008, 15:59
I dunno. There used to be a hostel down by the river. Nolichucky Expeditions. Canoers and kayakers hang out there. Probably defunct by now. Long time ago. This was the scene from the porch. Someone you know there. ;)

Kirby
01-05-2008, 16:10
Hope this does no ingnite a debate, but I notice Uncle Johnny's is not listed in the Companion, any particular reason why not?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 16:12
Hope this does no ingnite a debate, but I notice Uncle Johnny's is not listed in the Companion, any particular reason why not?

Kirby

Certain ALDHA members don't like Uncle Johnny. It's a political thing really.

Miss Janet
01-05-2008, 16:15
What a great old picture! Wolfie was a cutie! And check out the paper grocery sacks!
That used to be THE place to stay. We had a lot of good times down there on the river. They have not had services for hikers for a few years.

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2008, 16:16
He is unlisted there because of the many complaints registered by guests (over several years) to both ALDHA and the ATC. Both of these organizations decided several years ago that there was enough merit to these complaints to justify their removing this facility from their guidebook, and they have not yet seen suffient reason to re-list this facility.

That being said, many people have stayed there over the years and have reported that they had a fine time.

People can decide for themselves when they get to Erwin where they want to stay.

Kirby: If you're wondering on where the best place to stay in Erwin happens to be in Spring 2008, especially if you're wondering about hiker-friendly motels, I suggest you get in touch with Miss Janet Hensley, who lives in Erwin, and could answer all of your questions.

SawnieRobertson
01-05-2008, 16:17
Kirby, if you can work it into your budget, the Holiday Inn Express does have a long history of being hiker friendly. Also, you may have a hiking partner by then with whom you could split the tab. Maybe a private post to Ms Janet would produce the right answer for you. Also, it very likely would gain you a friend in Erwin. She is one very good shuttle, and I'm sure she'll be doing that even if there is no hostel to offer.--Kinnickinic

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2008, 16:18
Wolf is 100% incorrect. It is decidedly NOT an ALDHA political thing.

Many of the folks who registered complaints were not ALDHA members; had no connection whatsoever to ALDHA; and in fact, weren't even aware that ALDHA existed when they arrived in Erwin.

It's not an ALDHA political thing.

All ALDHA did was to study these complaints and to act on them.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 16:20
It most certainly is an ALDHA thing.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 16:27
Several people have mentioned I contact Miss Janet, please note I have already received her advice VIA PM. She was the one who mentioned Uncle Johnny's to me, which is why I asked about it here.

Kirby

doggiebag
01-05-2008, 16:28
I stayed with at Uncle Johnny's for a few days last year. It was wonderful. I have nothing but praise for his services.

Darwin again
01-05-2008, 16:52
Wolf is 100% incorrect. It is decidedly NOT an ALDHA political thing.

Many of the folks who registered complaints were not ALDHA members; had no connection whatsoever to ALDHA; and in fact, weren't even aware that ALDHA existed when they arrived in Erwin.

It's not an ALDHA political thing.

Politics is, by definition, all about deciding who gets what, when, where and to what extent, including listings in guide books.

The Super 8 was good for me when I passed through there, even though it's a bit of a walk to town. (The other places were full.)

warren doyle
01-05-2008, 16:57
I think it is a shame that Uncle Johnny's is not listed in the 2008 ALDHA Companion (if Kirby's claim is true). I was under the impression that this festering issue was going to be resolved by this time. Somebody in ALDHA is continuing this slight and it is not the general membership.

rickb
01-05-2008, 17:07

Not sure what is meant by the ALDHA acting.

Was the decision voted on by the board, or was it simply the decision of the editor(s)?

Who would make the decision for inclusion in the future? The board? The full membership?

Tennessee Viking
01-05-2008, 17:10
Uncle Johnnys is probably the best of places next to the trail. Has hostel bunks and a few nice rooms with trail luxury. Nolichucky campground is a bit more rustic. Mainly a river campground with rafting tours.

Havent messaged Miss Janet in a while. So I am guessing she is looking at other properties near the trail.

Holiday Inn Express is up the road on Temple Hill Road next to the interstate.

Depending on my schedule I can give help give rides to Johnson City.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 17:18
I think it is a shame that Uncle Johnny's is not listed in the 2008 ALDHA Companion (if Kirby's claim is true). I was under the impression that this festering issue was going to be resolved by this time. Somebody in ALDHA is continuing this slight and it is not the general membership.

This is as of the 2007 Companion, the 2008 Companion is not available yet, so I can not comfirm this for that edition.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
01-05-2008, 17:26

It doesn't surprise me that you feel it is a shame and consider it to be a "slight". Uncle Johnny has treated enough hikers (and friends of hikers) poorly enough enough times that he was delisted. He earned his delisting and it was well-deserved. There are plenty of threads on WhiteBlaze and enough comments on trailjournals to support this.

Your antagonism towards ALDHA is no secret.

Pedaling Fool
01-05-2008, 17:30
Kirby, didn't your parents tell you not to play with matches.:D

Kirby
01-05-2008, 17:41
Kirby, didn't your parents tell you not to play with matches.:D

I was unaware of the division over Uncle Johnny's.

From the map in the 2007 Companion, it would appear that the Holiday Inn is roughly 1.5-2.5 miles from downtown Erwin, does this seem accurate?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 17:45
Uncle Johnny is right on the trail as you come down to the river. Holiday Inn is less than a mile from there.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 17:46
It doesn't surprise me that you feel it is a shame and consider it to be a "slight". Uncle Johnny has treated enough hikers (and friends of hikers) poorly enough enough times that he was delisted. He earned his delisting and it was well-deserved. There are plenty of threads on WhiteBlaze and enough comments on trailjournals to support this.

Your hatred of Warren is no secret. Grow up hypocrite.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 17:50
Uncle Johnny is right on the trail as you come down to the river. Holiday Inn is less than a mile from there.

Does my estimate of the Holiday Inn being 1.5 to 2.5 from, say, Miss Janet's seem accurate?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 17:52
Does my estimate of the Holiday Inn being 1.5 to 2.5 from, say, Miss Janet's seem accurate?

Kirby

yes........

Darwin again
01-05-2008, 17:54

So who decides what gets listed in the ALDHA book?
How do they decide?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 17:56
So who decides what gets listed in the ALDHA book?
How do they decide?

good question.

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2008, 21:31
Mr. Doyle's comments above are patently false.

He isn't on the ALDHA Board or in any way occupies a position of leadership in the organization, and hasn't for several reasons, mainly due to illness: The membership at large got sick of him.

Several people on the Board are not on cordial relations with Mr. Doyle and do not share their sentiments with him, or much of anything esle, either.

Therefore, when he tells us that he was "under the impression" about certain things, this is nothing but idle speculation. If Mr. Doyle actually knows more about this matter, and wishes to name names, then he should do so. But he won't....there's nobody to name. He's out of the loop.

The simple fact of the matter is that the decision to de-list the facility in question was made by many people, and it was a joint decision: Both ALDHA and ATC people were involved. And the question of re-listing this facilty comes up almost every year. In 2008, they decided not to do this. This decision was also made by more than one individual.

If Mr. Doyle were truly concerned with the direction of the Companion, then he could take a more active part in the research, editing, and publication of the book. If he's done this in recent years, I'm unaware of it. The Thru-Hikers Companion is published every year thanks to unstinting work by
countless people.

If Mr. Doyle is truly interested in helping the hiking community, he might want to think about assisting in the production and editing of this book, rather than carping about the efforts of the people who actually do so.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 21:38
The simple fact of the matter is that the decision to de-list the facility in question was made by many people, and it was a joint decision: Both ALDHA and ATC people were involved. And the question of re-listing this facilty comes up almost every year. In 2008, they decided not to do this. This decision was also made by more than one individual.

How do you know this? You're not on any ALDHA or ATC board. If it's true Johnny won't be listed this year it's pretty sad and proves certain ALDHA members have it in for him. There have been no complaints about his place for a while. A facility right on the AT that caters to hikers should be listed.

River Runner
01-05-2008, 21:44
I've stayed both at Uncle Johnny's and at the Holiday Inn Express.

Both are fine facilities. I truly enjoyed the hiker atmosphere at Uncle Johnny's, where I stayed in one of the cabin's with my friends. It's inexpensive ($15 a night per person last year), but not luxurious. The bathroom is in a separate building, so you do have to go outdoors to get there.

The Holiday Inn Express is much more luxurious - nice bath right in the room, comfier mattresses, etc., but also much more costly. $60 or so per night per room if I am remembering correctly.

Yahtzee
01-05-2008, 21:49
You nearly have to stop in Erwin for resupply. Why not get a room and some beers. There is a motel between the trail and town but not near much and the Holiday Inn near the McDonalds. If Janet weren't open I bet I go into town get a burrito, putz around and head back to the cheap motel with a six pack.

Marta
01-05-2008, 21:49
This is as of the 2007 Companion, the 2008 Companion is not available yet, so I can not comfirm this for that edition.

Kirby

How do you know this? You're not on any ALDHA or ATC board. If it's true Johnny won't be listed this year it's pretty sad and proves certain ALDHA members have it in for him. There have been no complaints about his place for a while. A facility right on the AT that caters to hikers should be listed.

I was the field editor for the section including Erwin for the 2008 Companion. I contacted Uncle Johnny and got information about his hostel, and forwarded that to the editor in chief with the recommendation that the hostel be listed. I know several other people also recommended the inclusion of Uncle Johnny's place. I don't know what the final decision was. My reasons for recommending inclusion were fairly simple:

1) The hostel is right on the trail. It seems absurd not to list it. For the majority of hikers, who are not involved in ALDHA and/or internet forum politics, to step out of the woods and stumble onto a conveniently-located establishment that will provide all the services they need at a reasonable price is puzzling. It makes them wonder what other weird omissions are in the guide book.

2) Over the past two or three years I haven't heard any complaints about his treatment of hikers and I have heard many people praise his service. I would like to believe the problems are largely in the past.

Yahtzee
01-05-2008, 21:51
I've stayed both at Uncle Johnny's and at the Holiday Inn Express.

Both are fine facilities. I truly enjoyed the hiker atmosphere at Uncle Johnny's, where I stayed in one of the cabin's with my friends. It's inexpensive ($15 a night per person last year), but not luxurious. The bathroom is in a separate building, so you do have to go outdoors to get there.

The Holiday Inn Express is much more luxurious - nice bath right in the room, comfier mattresses, etc., but also much more costly. $60 or so per night per room if I am remembering correctly.

Thats a sweet price. That's what I remember at the Hiawasee one, too. I'll pay 30 bucks once a week to share a Holiday Inn. Usually its $20 bucks, cos it's three people. But 60 for a Holiday Inn is excellent.

Marta
01-05-2008, 21:51
You nearly have to stop in Erwin for resupply. Why not get a room and some beers. There is a motel between the trail and town but not near much and the Holiday Inn near the McDonalds. If Janet weren't open I bet I go into town get a burrito, putz around and head back to the cheap motel with a six pack.

Bad news.... As of September, Erwin Burrito was closed.

rainmaker
01-05-2008, 21:54
Never met the man and rarely agree with his posts but this time I do agree with LW. BTW, I have stayed at UJ's and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also stayed at the Holiday Inn and found it to be extremely hiker friendly.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 21:54
I was the field editor for the section including Erwin for the 2008 Companion. I contacted Uncle Johnny and got information about his hostel, and forwarded that to the editor in chief with the recommendation that the hostel be listed. I know several other people also recommended the inclusion of Uncle Johnny's place. I don't know what the final decision was. My reasons for recommending inclusion were fairly simple:

1) The hostel is right on the trail. It seems absurd not to list it. For the majority of hikers, who are not involved in ALDHA and/or internet forum politics, to step out of the woods and stumble onto a conveniently-located establishment that will provide all the services they need at a reasonable price is puzzling. It makes them wonder what other weird omissions are in the guide book.

2) Over the past two or three years I haven't heard any complaints about his treatment of hikers and I have heard many people praise his service. I would like to believe the problems are largely in the past.

Makes no sense for Johnny to not be listed in 08. Pure politics on the board. ALDHA is becoming a clique'. I'm done being a member.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 21:55

Thanks for the information, I would really question the Companion if it went against a field editor.

I had no idea Uncle Johnny's was right on the trail. If that place offers shuttles to town and back, I will gladly stay there and not go all that far from the trail. It also, from what I have observed, would seem to be a great spot to slack pack from for 1-2 days, just a thought.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 21:57
Thanks for the information, I would really question the Companion if it went against a field editor.

I had no idea Uncle Johnny's was right on the trail. If that place offers shuttles to town and back, I will gladly stay there and not go all that far from the trail. It also, from what I have observed, would seem to be a great spot to slack pack from for 1-2 days, just a thought.

Kirby

Shuttles are offered

Marta
01-05-2008, 22:00
Shuttles, laundry, normal supplies... As I said, he's got most of what hikers need.

I also furnished the information to ATtroll for the new guidebook, so I assume it's in that book.

Pedaling Fool
01-05-2008, 22:01
...would seem to be a great spot to slack pack from for 1-2 days, just a thought.

Kirby
Don't even think about it young man! Slack packing is like a drug, you start out "experimenting" and the next thing you know you've created a carbon footprint the size of Texas.
JUST SAY NO

doggiebag
01-05-2008, 22:02
In addition to shuttles. Uncle Johnny's has a about a dozen bicycles that you can use to get to town. They have a nice safe bike path for most of the ride to Erwin.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 22:09
Don't even think about it young man! Slack packing is like a drug, you start out "experimenting" and the next thing you know you've created a carbon footprint the size of Texas.
JUST SAY NO

I will slack pack every now and then, especially when a business is on the trail, and I can just hike back there, not all that often though.

In addition to shuttles. Uncle Johnny's has a about a dozen bicycles that you can use to get to town. They have a nice safe bike path for most of the ride to Erwin.

Good news.

Kirby

River Runner
01-05-2008, 22:15

Kirby

Yep - on both.

It also has a little courtyard area with picnic tables, etc.

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2008, 22:15
There most certainly have been recent complaints, Wolf; also, as recently as this year, he took an active part in attempting to interfere with a competitor who wished to open a new hiker facility in Erwin. This included appearing at civic meetings in order to perform this interference.

Wolf, this who thing ought to be a dead horse.

Mr. Shore's principal competitor in Erwin is not presently in business, and may not be in 2008. Therfore, he's in great shape to have a great hiker year, assuming the people who patronize his business are happy with their treatment there, as I hope they are.

But Wolf, if you have a beef with the Companion and how it is edited, you'd be well advised to discuss this with the folks who actually edit the book.

But to re-hash all of this here at Whiteblaze will serve no good purpose, unless of course you desire an extended discussion of how this place got itself de-listed in the first place.

Which I doubt is what you, or anyone else wants to see again.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 22:18
you never answered my question. it's pure politics

maxNcathy
01-05-2008, 22:21
Kirby, go check out Uncle Johnny for me when you go through and report back to us all.
I will be going there too ..aboutMarch 26th so I will scutinize his place as well. I could act a little like an ass at times and see if he is sugar sweet to me.

Yahtzee
01-05-2008, 22:21
Bad news.... As of September, Erwin Burrito was closed.

Pizza buffet it is. Closer to the cheap motel anyway.

Pedaling Fool
01-05-2008, 22:24
I will slack pack every now and then, especially when a business is on the trail, and I can just hike back there, not all that often though...

Kirby
Yeah, I understand, and I'm sure you can also "Quit any time", I gottcha:D

OregonHiker
01-05-2008, 22:26

pssst...he's 16 :)

River Runner
01-05-2008, 22:29
Thats a sweet price. That's what I remember at the Hiawasee one, too. I'll pay 30 bucks once a week to share a Holiday Inn. Usually its $20 bucks, cos it's three people. But 60 for a Holiday Inn is excellent.

You have to ask for the hiker discount. It might be a little more than that with the taxes & all.

Tin Man
01-05-2008, 22:31
Shuttles, laundry, normal supplies... As I said, he's got most of what hikers need.

I also furnished the information to ATtroll for the new guidebook, so I assume it's in that book.

Troll confirmed previously that UJ will be in Appalachian Pages.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 22:37
SO:
UJ's is in Appalachian Pages
UJ's is, I believe, in Thru Hiker's Companion
UJ's is NOT in the Companion

Got it.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 22:41
SO:

Yes
No
Correct

Pedaling Fool
01-05-2008, 22:43
Yeah, Kirby I think you meant to say that you believe UJs is in the Handbook, which it is.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 22:45
Yeah, Kirby I think you meant to say that you believe UJs is in the Handbook, which it is.

That's what I meant, instead of "Companion", I meant "handbook".

Sorry about that,
Kirby

rickb
01-05-2008, 22:50
Is its existence (not by name, of course) acknowledged in the Data Book?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 22:51
Is its existence acknowledged in the Data Book?

no it's not

River Runner
01-05-2008, 22:52
SO:

Got it.

Kirby

It is in the Thru Hiker's Handbook (not companion.)

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2008, 22:53
Which proves it's not just an ALDHA political thing.

ALDHA has nothing to do with the Data Book. It's published by someone else altogether. :-?

Kirby
01-05-2008, 22:53
It is in the Thru Hiker's Handbook (not companion.)

See above.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 22:57
Which proves it's not just an ALDHA political thing.

ALDHA has nothing to do with the Data Book. It's published by someone else altogether. :-?

yeah the ATC which is in cahoots with ALDHA. political for sure

River Runner
01-05-2008, 22:59
See above.

Kirby

Yeah sorry, I had started the reply, left the computer a minute or so, and finished & hit send before checking back.

rickb
01-05-2008, 23:01
Does the Data Book still list services along the lines of "L 2 M E"?

If so, wouldn't they simply take that kind of information from the Companion rather than sending out their own field editor to verify serivces up and down the AT?

Pedaling Fool
01-05-2008, 23:47
Does the Data Book still list services along the lines of "L 2 M E"?

If so, wouldn't they simply take that kind of information from the Companion rather than sending out their own field editor to verify serivces up and down the AT?
Two examples of how the Data Book list services/town:
Erwin, Tenn., P.O. 37650
(P.O., G,M 3.8m W;
L 1.2m W; G, L 2.3m W)

Dennis Cove, USFS 50
(C,G,L,M 0.5m E; C,L 0.2m W)

From what I understand the Companion and all others take information from the Data Book, then they add to it, not the other way around. Also the Data Book does not list the name of the Hostels/Motels, but you can see from the Erwin entry that UJs is not listed.

clured
01-06-2008, 02:33
Kirby, I mean the following in the best of ways:

Be careful not to overthink your hike. While it is great to plan and think ahead, too much of anything can be bad. At this point it's probably better to be focusing on getting to Erwin before you worry about where you are going to stay; things like that just kind of happen on the spot, and do not require advance preparation. Remember, walking is what gets you to Katahdin, not planning!

Good luck!

A-Train
01-06-2008, 04:16
Kirby, I mean the following in the best of ways:

Be careful not to overthink your hike. While it is great to plan and think ahead, too much of anything can be bad. At this point it's probably better to be focusing on getting to Erwin before you worry about where you are going to stay; things like that just kind of happen on the spot, and do not require advance preparation. Remember, walking is what gets you to Katahdin, not planning!

Good luck!

I totally agree. Take it from someone who planned a lot. It was nice to know what to expect, yet also took some of the fun and spontaneity out of the adventure. Know what you're getting yourself into, but not your every move. Stay flexible. Who cares where you stay in Erwin. Maybe it'll rain for a week when you get there and you'll want your own room. Maybe you'll be traveling with folks you like and they'll wanna stay at a hostel. Maybe you'll meet a friendly family who will take you back to their house in Johnson City. That is the beauty of this grand aventure-the unexpected.

You've ALREADY done your homework-let the rest unfold

mrc237
01-06-2008, 08:52

Better get Oliver Stone on this!!!

Jester2000
01-07-2008, 23:43
Politics is, by definition, all about deciding who gets what, when, where and to what extent

So is carving a turkey, amongst other things.

It's all very sinister, isn't it?

Was the decision voted on by the board, or was it simply the decision of the editor(s)?

Who would make the decision for inclusion in the future? The board? The full membership?

Yeah, the way things have been described it sort of makes one think that the board is voting to keep UJ out of the Companion, doesn't it? For the record, this issue didn't come up for a vote or any discussion whatsoever during the time that I was on the board. At one point we did discuss and then vote down the idea of having field editors take part in a fund raising drive (we did so to avoid any suggestion or assumption of pay-to-play). That was it.

We never discussed content, leaving that up to the editor and the publisher's reps; to do so wasn't a conscious decision on the board's part -- it was just that there were other people whose responsibility involved content.

As for what happened before I was on the board (and UJ's delisting happened, I believe, before I was elected), I can't say. But it's not as if every year at the spring meeting Uncle Johnny was on the agenda. He wasn't (all meetings are open to member scrutiny and minutes are public record, so the board is either not engaging in anything nefarious or they are woefully inept conspirators).

There have been no complaints about his place for a while.

Uncle Johnnys is probably the best of places next to the trail.

Never met the man and rarely agree with his posts but this time I do agree with LW. BTW, I have stayed at UJ's and thoroughly enjoyed it. . .

Ahh, here, I think, is the crux of the current state of things. We all know that complaints tend to outweigh good comments -- that, unfortunately, seems to be human nature (which is why Elk Park is still considered by many to be "unfriendly").

Marta has gotten the ball rolling by recommending inclusion (and she's the field rep). My question is, has buliwyf or rainmaker or anyone who has had a wonderful, positive experience contacted the editor of the companion or anyone at ATC to say that you had a wonderful, positive experience at Uncle Johnny's? Somehow, I suspect not. I suspect that no one has bothered to send along positive comments. So going on about the Board, or the ATC, or festering slights, or political shenanigans on this site regarding Uncle Johnny does about as much good as sitting on your couch farting all day. It smells as bad, and has about the same chance of changing things. If you had a good experience, contact the editor of the Companion or the ATC. Or just keep complaining here, if that's your style.

Cahoots?

[Warren's] antagonism towards ALDHA is no secret.

Unfair. Warren is not antagonistic towards ALDHA. He is antagonistic towards particular members of ALDHA. ALDHA has suffered as a result of his behavior, and that's a shame, but he's not directing his ire at the group.

Lone Wolf, meanwhile, will be missed. But we'll get some practice in at the range, and try again from a closer distance.

Jester2000
01-07-2008, 23:46
I think it is a shame that Uncle Johnny's is not listed in the 2008 ALDHA Companion (if Kirby's claim is true).

PS -- Kirby doesn't claim that the 2008 ALDHA Companion doesn't list UJ's; a claim that is not made can be neither true nor false. QED.

Kirby
01-07-2008, 23:48
PS -- Kirby doesn't claim that the 2008 ALDHA Companion doesn't list UJ's; a claim that is not made can be neither true nor false. QED.

Correct. I was only confirming UJ's was not in the 2007 edition.

Kirby

WalkinHome
01-08-2008, 11:03
That is the first time I have seen QED used in print for anything other than a description of what QED means or a crossword puzzle. Kudos to you Jester. You are my hero.

SGT Rock
01-08-2008, 11:06
So when does the 2008 Companion come out?

minnesotasmith
01-08-2008, 11:27
I stayed there a night during my thruhike BC Miss Janet's was full, and I was in pretty bad shape from dehydration when I got to Erwin, not wanting to go any further right then.

The place was adequate, and the couple doing most of the work were pleasant and competent. UJ was a mixed bag, though. When in his store, and I was in the middle of buying stuff from him, he refused to try helping me with a gear issue, even conversationally. Also, the price he quoted me for a shared room (another hiker and I originally were going to share one) kept changing, going up, til finally I threw up my hands and took a room in the bunkhouse.

UJ's was not a bad place when I was there, but the worst part about it IMO was Uncle Johnny. It'll be better once he's no longer associated with it.

Appalachian Tater
01-08-2008, 19:41
Unfair. Warren is not antagonistic towards ALDHA. He is antagonistic towards particular members of ALDHA. ALDHA has suffered as a result of his behavior, and that's a shame, but he's not directing his ire at the group.

Well, he certainly does his best to make it appear that way. However, I'll defer to your greater familiarity both with Doyle and with the ALDHA.