PDA

View Full Version : water purifier

Mrs Baggins
01-05-2008, 17:17
We have an old First Need pump water filter. Works great but heavy as a brick. That's fine when my husband's along and can carry it in his pack. But I'm going out without him in April and I want one that is MUCH lighter! I want a filter system that takes the "chunks" out so I'm not interested in tablets,drops, or Steripens. I have one of the water bottles with the disposable filter and it's too hard to drink from. Suggestions? :confused:

flagator
01-05-2008, 17:25
Katadyn hiker pro

Tinker
01-05-2008, 17:25
Look at a Pur Hiker or Seychelle filter (the latter available from Backpacking Light, among other sources. The former has been recommended by so many people it must be good.

I'm one of the other brick toters. (First need since the mid 80's- never had stomach problems on the trail or after hikes).

wrongway_08
01-05-2008, 18:21
Hey, MSR is comming out with a new filter. Smaller, lighter, cleans to a smaller particle size and faster then the Hiker Pro (what I bought about 5 months ago). It should be out soon and i plan to get it..... my Pro will be up for sale.... Used maybe 2 or 3 times at the most.

http://www.feedthehabit.com/outdoors/2008-msr-hyperflow-microfilter/

Tinker
01-05-2008, 18:24
Gear Ho!:D

wrongway_08
01-05-2008, 18:37
:dance :dance :jump :clap am what I am......:D

Tinker
01-05-2008, 18:40

We may have been cloned!!!!!!!!1:eek:

Tinker
01-05-2008, 18:40

We may have been cloned!!!!!!!!:eek:

wrongway_08
01-05-2008, 18:46
We may have been cloned!!!!!!!!:eek:

Heard you the first time.....:D :D :p

take-a-knee
01-05-2008, 19:39
Look at a Pur Hiker or Seychelle filter (the latter available from Backpacking Light, among other sources. The former has been recommended by so many people it must be good.

I'm one of the other brick toters. (First need since the mid 80's- never had stomach problems on the trail or after hikes).

You can order the Seychelle directly from the manufacturer:

http://www.seychelle.com/Prodselect.asp?RepID=10001&CategoryID=386&BasketID=

I use plumbed mine into a camelback hose (it's light and has a shutoff) between two 70oz Platypuses. You 'll need two right angle barb fittings from platypus (REI) for each end of the camelback hose. The whole rig weighs 7 oz.

Yahtzee
01-05-2008, 19:47
[quote=wrongway_08;491940]Hey, MSR is comming out with a new filter. Smaller, lighter, cleans to a smaller particle size and faster then the Hiker Pro (what I bought about 5 months ago). It should be out soon and i plan to get it..... my Pro will be up for sale.... Used maybe 2 or 3 times at the most.

http://www.feedthehabit.com/outdoors/2008-msr-hyperflow-microfilter/[/quote

Hey, I might have a Hiker Pro with only one usage for sale if that thing is as sweet as it looks. How does it work, functionally speaking? The article doesn't quite tell you. The big con with the Pro is how hard the damned thing is to pump. If this is harder or more cumbersome to filter, no weight loss will be worth the trouble. Definitely looking forward to it.

Yahtzee
01-05-2008, 20:05
Second thoughts. Just reweighed my Hiker Pro. 13 oz. Not sure I would pay 99 bucks to drop 5 oz.

wrongway_08
01-05-2008, 20:16
Second thoughts. Just reweighed my Hiker Pro. 13 oz. Not sure I would pay 99 bucks to drop 5 oz.

When i talked to MSR about 6 weeks ago, the lady said the weight included the adapters and all, so if your like me, that'll all stay home and the weight will be less then the 7 oz. This as long as the lady was correct.

Yahtzee
01-05-2008, 20:29
oh yeah, i only carry the bare essentials. bleach as a backup anyway. yeah,
i could see when I am done with my Pur, I'll get one of those if the hiker reviews are good. You can tell when something is spot on, for some but not all, or bad idea from hiker reviews.

wrongway_08
01-05-2008, 20:50
HHmmm, just learned that due to the hollow core filter, it is only recomended for 3 season use - if it freezes it will break. Guess that will put an end to my hopes of owning it.

Unless you want to sleep with another peice of gear.

Yahtzee
01-05-2008, 21:09
HHmmm, just learned that due to the hollow core filter, it is only recomended for 3 season use - if it freezes it will break. Guess that will put an end to my hopes of owning it.

Unless you want to sleep with another peice of gear.

Definitely. Am planning a WC trip this summer and can't have no broken filter, at elevation, and many miles from an outfitter. Even tho I'd have bleach as a backup, carrying a broken piece of equipment is a double drag. Deadweight.

bredler
01-06-2008, 23:34

Does anyone know the skinny on the seychelle, for the price, if it works you can't beat it.

flagator
01-07-2008, 10:49
But, doesnt the hiker pro have problems in winter as well, I haven't had a personal experience. However, I have read that ice crystals with clog up the filter big time. you would maybe have to boil water and than run that through to them out and even that would only work until the next time they froze over. I'd rather sleep with it than do that every day.

Hooch
01-07-2008, 11:04
Hey, MSR is comming out with a new filter. Smaller, lighter, cleans to a smaller particle size and faster then the Hiker Pro (what I bought about 5 months ago). It should be out soon and i plan to get it..... my Pro will be up for sale.... Used maybe 2 or 3 times at the most.

http://www.feedthehabit.com/outdoors/2008-msr-hyperflow-microfilter/ I'm with you on that one Wrongway. I've had my eye on that MSR Hyperflow (http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/hyperflow.asp) since I first read about it a month or so ago. I'm just waiting for a release date and hope that I can sweet talk my local outfitter into ordering me one if they don't have them. As a matter of fact, I think I'll e-mail MSR and ask if they have a projected release date set. :D I'll probably sell my Katadyn Hiker Pro as well, dirt cheap.

Painted Turtle
01-07-2008, 11:27
I for one am going to run right out and get it (HyperFlow™ Microfilter).

Mainly because of all the talk about everyone wanting to get one. I am wondering if MSR will be able to keep up with the demand. My present MSR weights in at 16oz (1lb) so even at 7oz it is a savings.