PDA

View Full Version : Strongly disagree with FD's censorship of the missing hiker disussion

Flotsam
01-05-2008, 17:44
Does anyone know of other forums that are allowing open discussion of this case?I strongly disagree with FD's throttling of free discussion of this event. She seems fixated on the idea that Merideth's friends and family might read something "upsetting" here on our forums. Well, sorry but the whole damn thing is upsetting, but it's normal for people to want/need to talk about events like this. Why is OUR forum being censored in favor of outsiders who *might* get upset about something here? FD has a very strong "mothering" attitude, but this time she's gone too far with it, IMO.

Jack Tarlin
01-05-2008, 17:47
People with problems with website moderators should probably first contact moderators (privately) with their grievances; this seems to me a better way to address complaints, concerns, or problems.

Freeleo
01-05-2008, 17:47
when people dont know when not to post whats going through their head you can not blame her...some of the things being said were inapporpriate ans she tried to remind people several times

thumbs up FD

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 17:48
I strongly disagree with FD's throttling of free discussion of this event. She seems fixated on the idea that Merideth's friends and family might read something "upsetting" here on our forums. Well, sorry but the whole damn thing is upsetting, but it's normal for people to want/need to talk about events like this. Why is OUR forum being censored in favor of outsiders who *might* get upset about something here? FD has a very strong "mothering" attitude, but this time she's gone too far with it, IMO.

Go away if you don't like it. It ain't about you and your little feelings.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 17:48
FD made the right call, the conversation was very speculative, when something like that should be based on fact, not opinion.

FD, and all moderator's and admins are very good with limited moderating, but that was a thread where a moderator felt it was time to end.

Kirby

Bulldawg
01-05-2008, 17:53
Yeah, with this country heading further and further down the road to communism, why should anyone expect anything else. THE PC people in the world would assume offend 1000 people than offend 1 person who might holler. Not saying that was what happened here, just it was to be expected.

KirkMcquest
01-05-2008, 17:56
Bunch of bull if you ask me. People were discussing the issue, period. You can't turn on the news without hearing speculation of one kind or another about this issue. There's nothing wrong with discussion and speculation regarding an unsolved situation like this. Maybe meredeth's family/friends will hear something comforting in our discussions, did anyone ever think about that??

Tin Man
01-05-2008, 17:58
Moderators moderate their website as they see fit. It is their website. Don't like it? Go somewhere else or create your own website.

Dino and Dixi rule here and do a damn good job, regardless of the thankless task they face!

Refer to the usage agreement if you have questions.
http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement

saimyoji
01-05-2008, 17:59

Sly
01-05-2008, 18:00
People with problems with website moderators should probably first contact moderators (privately) with their grievances; this seems to me a better way to address complaints, concerns, or problems.

That didn't help. It's also too late and after the fact. Now we have a thread to post updates but we can't talk about it? That's absurd, IMO.

KirkMcquest
01-05-2008, 18:02
Moderators moderate their website as they see fit. It is their website. Don't like it? Go somewhere else or create your own website.

Dino and Dixi rule here and do a damn good job, regardless of the thankless task they face!

Refer to the usage agreement if you have questions.
http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that they have the power to censor the site, we all know that. It's their judgement in doing so (regarding this issue) that we are questioning ( and rightly so).

dixicritter
01-05-2008, 18:04
It was asked several times that people be respectful and we were ignored. FD made the correct call. Don't like it Move on to another forum.