PDA

View Full Version : Kampfire - a hiker hangout for all those off topic posters

jlb2012
01-05-2008, 18:56
For those who object to the moderation on this forum perhaps the yahoo group Kampfire might be of interest - the following is the "mission statement from the main page of Kampfire:

"This group is a hiker hangout. It's a catch all for the 'off topic' stuff that some folks complain about in the other lists. Pull up a log, have a seat, and tell us about yourself and what you do. This group is about meeting people, and generating a camaraderie with other hikers that are a part of the online community. It's about having fun. If you're looking for gear, check out www.backpackgeartest.org. If you're looking for lightweight, check out the BackpackingLight group. If you're looking for the Appilachian Trail, try www.backcountry.net. If you're looking to meet other people with your interests and to have a little fun, you're in the right place. -- Shane 'Nio' Steinkamp"

link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kampfire/

RITBlake
01-05-2008, 19:00
whats the Appilachian Trail?

Creek Dancer
01-05-2008, 19:02
Cool!:banana

But do they have dancing bananas over there?

Appalachian Tater
01-05-2008, 19:04
Looks like the number of posts has been steadily dropping off for about four years.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 19:08
whats the Appilachian Trail?

It's a trail for those dis-satisifed with the Appalachian Trail.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
01-05-2008, 19:09
Where is it???

RITBlake
01-05-2008, 19:11
Where is it???

siberia

Kirby
01-05-2008, 19:14
siberia

I thought it was in complainersville, ajacent to boohooersville, which is in cry me a river county, but I could be mistaken.

Kirby

Sly
01-05-2008, 19:16
If you want off topic subscribe to non AT

RITBlake
01-05-2008, 19:20
does anyone else find it weird that HOI is 'advertising' other sites by using reach of the WB forums. If it was someone who had posted a few times I wouldn't be suprised but HOI has posted over 1600 things here at WB. That's a lot of posting. Maybe he's disenchanted w/ WB but still a weird move.

OregonHiker
01-05-2008, 19:24
does anyone else find it weird that HOI is 'advertising' other sites by using reach of the WB forums. If it was someone who had posted a few times I wouldn't be suprised but HOI has posted over 1600 things here at WB. That's a lot of posting. Maybe he's disenchanted w/ WB but still a weird move.

Naww....he's just helping people find a place to vent

Bearpaw
01-05-2008, 19:42
The fact that moderators haven't moved of deleted this sort of punches holes in the "tired of moderators" comment. If he posted something like this on Practical Backpacking, it wouldn't last 5 minutes before deletion, and he would probably get banned from the site.

If you ask me, pretty much every thread here becomes an "off-topic" forum after the first page or two. But then, I've kind of grown to enjoy the socializing that goes on here. I guess I'll stick around for a while.

jlb2012
01-05-2008, 19:43
That is basically the idea - the mods here do a good job but some people can't seem to be happy with the way that they do their job - so I just suggested a possible alternative that seems to welcome off topic posters etc.

If I were trolling for another forum I would have suggested another place that I know of that is sort of my home forum. However I don't think it would be a service to that forum to invite the protesters from WB to join nor would it be a service to the objectors since that forum is a quite rough on newbies. Kampfire on the other hand invites off topic postings and since it looks like it could use some more hikers to join and contribute I thought it would be a good fit for those who are disapproving of the moderation here on WB.

Sly
01-05-2008, 19:44
The fact that moderators haven't moved of deleted this sort of punches holes in the "tired of moderators" comment. If he posted something like this on Practical Backpacking, it wouldn't last 5 minutes before deletion, and he would probably get banned from the site.

If you ask me, pretty much every thread here becomes an "off-topic" forum after the first page or two. But then, I've kind of grown to enjoy the socializing that goes on here. I guess I'll stick around for a while.

Yes some of us may get upset from time to time but it really is a great forum. :banana

OregonHiker
01-05-2008, 19:55
Yes some of us may get upset from time to time but it really is a great forum. :banana

alt.rec.hiking on usenet....no moderators

Kirby
01-05-2008, 19:58
alt.rec.hiking on usenet....no moderators

Moderation is needed, it keeps this site on track, and there really is not that much, but they do a lot of behind the scenes work.

Kirby

OregonHiker
01-05-2008, 20:05
Moderation is needed, it keeps this site on track, and there really is not that much, but they do a lot of behind the scenes work.

Kirby

You're preaching to the choir. Just pointing out another place where you can post what ever you want.:cool:

Dranoel
01-05-2008, 20:06

Kirby

I think everyone can agree with that statement.

What was brought into question is the heavy-handed moderation of a thread that was active in the discussion of Meredith.

Don't lock a thread that was an outlet for so many hikers- dealing with a difficult scenario. Deal with offending members. It seems simple enough.

We are adults- not kids. Right?

Darwin again
01-05-2008, 20:08
Just got a PM from Dixie:

you just came off it not too long ago... want back on it?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-05-2008, 20:09
Thanks for posting the alternative, HOI. Perhaps some who are unhappy will here will be happier there. Just as no one tent is right for everyone and no one hammock is right for everyone, no one forum is right for everyone.

OregonHiker
01-05-2008, 20:10

Q: Why did the gu stopp banging his head against the wall?
A: Because it felt so good when he stopped :-?

Dranoel
01-05-2008, 20:12
Thanks for posting the alternative, HOI. Perhaps some who are unhappy will here will be happier there. Just as no one tent is right for everyone and no one hammock is right for everyone, no one forum is right for everyone.

Why are you (or fellow mods) deleting or locking threads that question why the Missing Hiker thread was locked?

Did I miss something?

OregonHiker
01-05-2008, 20:13
Why are you (or fellow mods) deleting or locking threads that question why the Missing Hiker thread was locked?

Did I miss something?

yes....see post #21

RITBlake
01-05-2008, 20:15
yes....see post #21

yah thats real helpful

false

Dranoel
01-05-2008, 20:16
yes....see post #21

Yeah.

I got a few emails as well.

I think they are wrong in this matter, but I have said my peace.

//Waiting for this thread to be deleted too.

Smile
01-05-2008, 20:18
IMHO, the mods here on WB did what they felt was in the best interest of the board. The new topic posted about developments is an efficient way to share information about this situation thanks for starting it guys.

The board was really bogged down and going slow since yesterday, it has picked up a bit now.

Let's focus on positivity, prayers, thoughts - whatever your bag is - headed in the direction of the missing and her family. That would be time well spent :)

Flotsam
01-05-2008, 20:24
IMHO, the mods here on WB did what they felt was in the best interest of the board. The new topic posted about developments is an efficient way to share information about this situation thanks for starting it guys.What new topic? Where?

Dranoel
01-05-2008, 20:26
What new topic? Where?

In a heavily moderated area.

Only section on the forum.

Flotsam
01-05-2008, 20:28
In a heavily moderated area.

Only section on the forum.
Huh? Where?

dixicritter
01-05-2008, 20:31
Huh? Where?

It's here... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31406

Dranoel
Huh? Where?

Come on.

It's very easy for someone looking for information on the Missing Hiker to know where to look.

//Sarcasm Off

WB: Straight Forward Forum
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=492076#post492076

River Runner
Here is another newer AT forum. I'm not sure what their moderation policy is, but they are looking for new members to keep it going, according to a post on backpacking talk.

http://athikersonline.org/

Dranoel
01-05-2008, 20:33
Here is another newer AT forum. I'm not sure what their moderation policy is, but they are looking for new members to keep it going, according to a post on backpacking talk.

http://athikersonline.org/

For me, the issue is not going to another forum.

Kirby
01-05-2008, 20:33
Huh? Where?

Straight forward section of the site.

Kirby

Smile
01-05-2008, 20:35
Here is the topic :)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31406

Skidsteer
01-05-2008, 21:32

Were I her, I'd take that as a yes.

Dranoel
01-05-2008, 21:43
Were I her, I'd take that as a yes.

I don't understand... from the home page:

The WhiteBlaze Network was created by a community of Appalachian Trail enthusiasts. Its intended purpose is to provide a forum for free exchange of ideas about the Appalachian Trail including its history, supporting the trail, hiking the trail, and general issues important to those that enjoy the Appalachian Trail.

-----------------------------------

I guess free is never free if it is contrary to certain mod thought-processes. Dare to speak- have threads locked, deleted, and emails sent to your account.

Nothing I can do. I voiced my concerns & was ignored. That's cool.

Time to go out and enjoy the nightlife of Vegas.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 21:45
quit yer bitchin' already :rolleyes:

Almost There
01-05-2008, 22:50
Wow! Some of you all need to get a friggin' life. You're complainin' because a thread was closed due to a desire to be sensitive to friends and members of Merideth's family who are coming around WB for information. Being honest at the point it was closed most people still posting on the thread had decided they were gonna play "CSI Appalachian Trail ". Let it go, go for a hike or something!

Kirby
01-05-2008, 22:52
Wow! Some of you all need to get a friggin' life. You're complainin' because a thread was closed due to a desire to be sensitive to friends and members of Merideth's family who are coming around WB for information. Being honest at the point it was closed most people still posting on the thread had decided they were gonna play "CSI Appalachian Trail ". Let it go, go for a hike or something!

I was thinking:
CSI: WhiteBlaze

Kirby

Almost There
01-05-2008, 23:12
I was thinking:
CSI: WhiteBlaze

Kirby

We could have both, and include others as well....look at all the CSI spinoffs!:D

Bulldawg
01-05-2008, 23:23
Ya know I can sort of see why the thread was closed, there were some insensitive posts, but I am like someone here stated, if we have mods, then why didn't those mods just delete those posts and/or put those posters on moderation? Can't that be done, having to have a moderator approve any message you leave? I started the thread the day the news broke. I wanted to discuss it. I wanted to hear ideas. I wanted input from all over about what people thought, what people knew, ya know "A free exchange of ideas". I never started the thread to offend or upset any family or friends of this young lady. I never once said anything in any of my posts that was offending IMO anyway. I did get a PM from a MOD and had my post moved. While I was just promoting a "free exchange of ideas", I was OK with being corrected and accepted the fact. Heck I even apologized to the mod. Anyway, enough with the venting, it looks as if this is coming to the horrible end we were all praying it would not. I will be heading up to Vogel first thing in the morning to give any help I might be able to give. Hopefully everyone can help bring closure to this family. God Bless them.

Lugnut
01-06-2008, 13:08
Is there a list somewhere of who the moderators are and which threads they are responsible for?

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 13:13
Is there a list somewhere of who the moderators are and which threads they are responsible for?

www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showgroups.php