PDA

View Full Version : Like it or get out?

Nokia
01-05-2008, 19:32
Has Wingfoot joined this site? A thread questioning the censorship of another thread closed. "If you don't like it find another forum"????
The AT is HOME to a lot of us. A distant cousin of our's has been found missing "in our home." That is going to spawn a lot of questions and guesses as what happened. If people are being rude and hurtful than that is one thing, but to speculate what has happened to one of our own, to discuss, and to work through our own concerns and fears is the whole point of a forum isn't it? Do you think this girl's family really comes here for info on what is really going on? Doubt it.
I love this site and I came here because I didn't want to get shut off or kicked out just for a different opinion than adminstration.
I think you guys do a great job, but this site, I thought, was for all of us.

I hope that this girl and her family find peace and everything will turn out okay for EVERYONE involved.

Flotsam
01-05-2008, 19:41
Has Wingfoot joined this site? A thread questioning the censorship of another thread closed. "If you don't like it find another forum"????
The AT is HOME to a lot of us. A distant cousin of our's has been found missing "in our home." That is going to spawn a lot of questions and guesses as what happened. If people are being rude and hurtful than that is one thing, but to speculate what has happened to one of our own, to discuss, and to work through our own concerns and fears is the whole point of a forum isn't it? Do you think this girl's family really comes here for info on what is really going on? Doubt it.
I love this site and I came here because I didn't want to get shut off or kicked out just for a different opinion than adminstration.
I think you guys do a great job, but this site, I thought, was for all of us.

I hope that this girl and her family find peace and everything will turn out okay for EVERYONE involved.
I agree. This is disappointing. And wrong.

Dranoel
01-05-2008, 19:42
I agree. I joined the site because of my love for hiking.

If someone crosses the line- warn them. If they don't listen, ban them a day.

Don't lock a thread that was allowing everyone to come together, talk, and share ideas.

On a sad note; the missing hiker is now presumed dead. It is no longer SAR, but a recovery mission.

CNN Update:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/05/missing.hiker/index.html

My heart goes out to the family & friends. :(

Darwin again
01-05-2008, 19:53
I must agree.
What good is a forum site if no discussion is allowed?

The question at hand is the increasingly heavy deletion moderation that happened as the Blood Mountain thread progressed. It got worse and worse as time went by, as if coffee was kicking in or something.

Telling people to like it or leave it is even worse than poorly reasoned reactionary moderation, IMO.

This whole missing person thing is -- by it's very nature -- bound to be an emotional issue for any and all of us whole love the Trail and the Trail community. Letting us discuss this serious, tragic community event is a task for which this place is ideally suited.

In fact, we all NEED to discuss this, given the closeness to all of our hearts and minds this event has come. The safety of a place we all frequent and love has been violated.

The moderation style of that thread was even more annoying than the "Newsmaker" segments on Comcast! Absolutley irritating.
What gives?
The forums ARE white Blaze. Tell us to go away? We just might.

Flotsam
01-05-2008, 19:57
I agree. I joined the site because of my love for hiking.

If someone crosses the line- warn them. If they don't listen, ban them a day.

Don't lock a thread that was allowing everyone to come together, talk, and share ideas.(
Plus, they are deleting and locking threads that simply object to the heavy-handed moderation. I posted this earlier, it was quickly yanked down. Why?

"I strongly disagree with FD's throttling of free discussion of this event. She seems fixated on the idea that Merideth's friends and family might read something "upsetting" here on our forums. Well, sorry but the whole damn thing is upsetting, but it's normal for people to want/need to talk about events like this. Why is OUR forum being censored in favor of outsiders who *might* get upset about something here? FD has a very strong "mothering" attitude, but this time she's gone too far with it, IMO."

Why was this yanked?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 19:59
keep up the whining and sniveling. this one will be shut down soon also. :)

OregonHiker
01-05-2008, 20:01
Tell us to go away? We just might.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya:-?

Darwin again
01-05-2008, 20:01

Nothing to add? Keep quiet.:eek:

Two Speed
01-05-2008, 20:02
FD & Dixi, do what ya gotta do.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2008, 20:02

not much to add to whiney girls. :D

OregonHiker
01-05-2008, 20:03

Why...object to common sense does ya?

Tin Man
01-05-2008, 20:03

please put the lock on it. :)

Time to move on folks.

Darwin again
01-05-2008, 20:05
not much to add to whiney girls. :D

You should know.

dixicritter
01-05-2008, 20:08
enough is enough.... next thread like this and folks start getting placed on Moderated post status. I'm through playing y'all. I mean it!:mad: