PDA

View Full Version : AT Traditions

insider2185
01-05-2008, 22:44
What are some trail traditions that exist as a thru-hiker?

The Old Fhart
01-05-2008, 22:50
Finishing the trail is the only one that most hikers consider important......

insider2185
01-05-2008, 22:58
good point

Tin Man
01-05-2008, 23:05
Forget the traditions, section hike and have more fun. If you must thru, seriously consider SOBO. Here are some new traditions:

At the half way point, stop for an ice cream cone, not a box of ice cream.

Walk past the Cog Railway and don't stop or bend over.

Some suggest fording the Kennebec, don't buy it, take the Ferry.

River Runner
01-05-2008, 23:11
Forget the traditions, section hike and have more fun. If you must thru, seriously consider SOBO. Here are some new traditions:

At the half way point, stop for an ice cream cone, not a box of ice cream.

Walk past the Cog Railway and don't stop or bend over.

Some suggest fording the Kennebec, don't buy it, take the Ferry.

Hey, this guy is new. I believe he seriously wants to know some traditions.

One is to eat a half gallon of ice cream at the halfway point (usually done at Pine Grove Furnace).

The others I will let someone else explain.

Tin Man
01-05-2008, 23:21
Hey, this guy is new. I believe he seriously wants to know some traditions.

One is to eat a half gallon of ice cream at the halfway point (usually done at Pine Grove Furnace).

The others I will let someone else explain.

I realize he is new. I was merely getting a head start on some of the dumber "traditions".

The ice cream challenge will make you sick.

Programbo
01-05-2008, 23:41
Hey, this guy is new. I believe he seriously wants to know some traditions.....One is to eat a half gallon of ice cream at the halfway point (usually done at Pine Grove Furnace)..

If he is new then he should be aware that the vast majority of things people will tell him are "traditions" are simply modern day/recent inventions (For example the "half-gallon challenge").... None of these things are important for a thru-hike and in some ways detract from it by turning it into some sort of reality-tv "Survivor" affair where one must be part of a tribe and complete a set of challenges...Get a "trail name"..Earn 10 points...Get your gear gone over at Neel`s Gap..Earn 10 points for each pound they eliminate...Receive "trail magic"..25 points...Stop at Miss Janets...50 points...Etc..Oh and don`t forget you just HAVE to have your bandana tied onto the top of your shoulder strap to identify your tribe :p

High Life
01-05-2008, 23:43
never saw someone get sick from " the half gallon challenge "
makes your own traditions .. here are some of mine if i did it again
mountian habour hostel RT 19 TN
kincora hostel Bob peoples is a tradition in himself .. ( whatever that means ) the home place Catawba VA AYCE 13 $ ( way too much food .. )
Shoneys breakfast buffet ( any and all cheap and lots of food )
drinking at dots in damasscus for a week atleast
tour of yueng ling brewery
hike naked day June 21st
hiker feed port clinton thrown by the always generous kodak june 23 ish
the doyle ( a standing tradition ) i personal enjoy lots of drinking ...
hiker feed church of the mountian hostel DWG
greymore ballfeild NY
drinking in kent ..
ok theres a few there ...

Tin Man
01-06-2008, 00:11
If he is new then he should be aware that the vast majority of things people will tell him are "traditions" are simply modern day/recent inventions (For example the "half-gallon challenge").... None of these things are important for a thru-hike and in some ways detract from it by turning it into some sort of reality-tv "Survivor" affair where one must be part of a tribe and complete a set of challenges...Get a "trail name"..Earn 10 points...Get your gear gone over at Neel`s Gap..Earn 10 points for each pound they eliminate...Receive "trail magic"..25 points...Stop at Miss Janets...50 points...Etc..Oh and don`t forget you just HAVE to have your bandana tied onto the top of your shoulder strap to identify your tribe :p

Exactly. These modern "traditions" may be interesting side notes in a journal or book about the AT, but not something to follow unless you want to be one of the sheeple that just does dumb things because others have before you.

modiyooch
01-06-2008, 00:14
stop in Harper's Ferry at the ATC and have your picture taken.

Montego
01-06-2008, 00:15
I heard one old (new?) tradition is to pick up a small stone on the top of Mt. Springer and add it to a cairn on top of Mt. K (don't let Neels' Gap tell 'ya to send it home to lighten your pack, either) :D

Tin Man
01-06-2008, 00:18
I heard one old (new?) tradition is to pick up a small stone on the top of Mt. Springer and add it to a cairn on top of Mt. K (don't let Neels' Gap tell 'ya to send it home to lighten your pack, either) :D

I plan to hide a large stone in my brother's pack and see his reaction when I take it out when we get to the end. :D

emerald
01-06-2008, 00:22
I'd like to recommend 2 new traditions that are worthwhile. Everyone who wants to hike the A.T. reads ATC's "Trail Years" before departing. Add to that reading the plaque on Myron Avery Peak and reflecting upon the significance of his contributions.

I think everyone who hikes the A.T. stops at ATC headquarters already. That's a good one. A 3rd new tradition might be thru-hikers who are not already members join while there.

weary
01-06-2008, 01:34
I traditionally just put one foot in front of the other until I reach my destination. If it's a real nice day and the trail is pretty smooth, I sometimes skip along. But not very often.

River Runner
01-06-2008, 02:35
I realize he is new. I was merely getting a head start on some of the dumber "traditions".

So putting your twist on old traditions he may not have even heard of is going to help him? He may not have any context to associate your remarks with.

River Runner
01-06-2008, 02:36

Pretty funny. He'll have a hard time stopping at Miss Janet's this year though. ;)

Wanderingson
01-06-2008, 07:07
What ever you do--DO NOT follow Gator Gump's advise on traditions.

Tin Man
01-06-2008, 07:33
So putting your twist on old traditions he may not have even heard of is going to help him? He may not have any context to associate your remarks with.

Perhaps. My main point was not to follow traditions and I don't think my "twists" were that disguised that someone couldn't figure out the original "tradition". The fact that he is asking also leads one to believe he has some prior knowledge that thru-hikers tend to do stuff in a herd mentality. No need to follow the sheeple.

Programbo
01-06-2008, 10:55
The fact that he is asking also leads one to believe he has some prior knowledge that thru-hikers tend to do stuff in a herd mentality.

EXACTLY!....I am of the opinion (And this is simply my opinion so if I'm wrong I'm wrong) that a LOT of modern thru-hikers decide to go on a thru-hike simply to be part of this "herd" or as I put it earlier to be part of the 2,200 mile long reality-tv adventure...It doesn`t develope out of a lifelong love of nature and the AT in particular..They read the stories somewhere online or in the news and they want to be part of it.."It'll be so much fun..I'll get a trail name and hang out with TreeFrog and RamRod at hostels and we'll drink beer and people will bring us magic food and we'll go from town to town having adventures..."...Then they get out there and discover there's BIG hills to walk up..And dirt and sweat and loneliness..And unless they are physically fit before they start they lose all their "tribe" mates and quit rather quickly...Those who are fortunate enough to be in some sort of physical fitness at the start tend to stay in the main group and thus have that continued pack/herd support and have a better chance of making it

rafe
01-06-2008, 11:06
Programbo, why does it bother you so much what the kids these days do? They either make it or they don't. What's it to you?

There were discernable traditions even in the James Hare/Rodale Press stories. Some of those traditions have faded as the trail has been changed, for example "the ice cream lady" whose home was somewhere on the Cumberland road walk in PA.

The Old Fhart
01-06-2008, 11:22
_terrapin_ "Some of those traditions have faded as the trail has been changed, for example "the ice cream lady" whose home was somewhere on the Cumberland road walk in PA."If I recall correctly Bonnie Shipe was given a life membership in the ATC for her trail magic over the years. When the long Cumberland road walk was moved off road, her house was bypassed. You can see her in the video "Five Million Steps".

emerald
01-06-2008, 11:46
Her generosity toward hikers was known to all who hiked the A.T. I believe she attended The Gathering the first time it was held too.

Kirby
01-06-2008, 12:48
I plan on becoming a member of the ATC when I reach Harpers.

Kirby

rafe
01-06-2008, 12:49

Kirby

Why not now? Or better yet, why not for life? Why wait?

Tin Man
01-06-2008, 12:49

Kirby

Cool, but why wait?

Programbo
01-06-2008, 12:53
Programbo, why does it bother you so much what the kids these days do? They either make it or they don't. What's it to you?

To long and complicated of an issue to get into on here..Let's just say it gets back to the decline and decay of society in general and thing which were once wrong and bad are now the norm and typical/acceptable...And the one place which use to be a timeless escape from that decay of society is now caught in the mist of it and is losing it`s beauty..Just my personal opinion and probably has no basis in reality :)

There were discernable traditions even in the James Hare/Rodale Press stories. Some of those traditions have faded as the trail has been changed...

Right..And even then there were long standing "traditions" and things which simply come and go with the flow of time..A person who helps others is a wonderful thing and some are so far above the norm they become important in the history of the AT..But time moves on and others come and go..BUT..An act which is independent of a single person can exist forever if people get it in their heads it is something which they MUST do in order to have hiked a real/traditional thru-hike...I would seriously hate to see a lot of this modern reality silliness catch hold and be added to and added to untill it becomes so intrenched that in 20 years time a 'thru-hike" of the AT is actually a pre-programed series of events/tasks which one must complete along its course..Then the AT would be dead..It would simply be a pathway along which this challenge takes place..But I am simply a stranger in a strange land so take my ramblings for what they are worth

dessertrat
01-06-2008, 12:54
Why not now? Or better yet, why not for life? Why wait?

I get that ATC needs the support, but it's cool to become a member in person. That's what I did, and I found it satisfying to do so.

rafe
01-06-2008, 13:02
Programbo... quit yer snivelin'. ISTM you've bucked society and pushed the envelope in your own way. Decay of society? I dare say, anyone who chooses their recreation deep in the woods is automatically absolved of that charge... Those in decay are those who never visit the woods.

Why do you presume that folks can't think for themselves in the woods any more (or somehow, less so than hearty folks of your own vintage. ;)) Why are you so sure that the whole spiel has gone downhill from when you did it... or tried to do it...

Decay of society.. loosen up dude. Live a little. The kids are OK. :D

insider2185
01-06-2008, 13:20
Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your input.

The main purpose that I want to thru-hike the AT is just to say that I could do it, not to others but to myself. I guess I am in it for the challenge.

I was just wondering some of the things that others have deemed traditions. I wasn't saying that I was going to join in some of the "traditions", but I just kinda wanted to know just for the curiousity factor.

And yes, hiking the AT is more important (to me) than what you do along the way.

emerald
01-06-2008, 13:43
The main purpose that I want to thru-hike the AT is just to say that I could do it, not to others but to myself. I guess I am in it for the challenge.

I was just wondering some of the things that others have deemed traditions. I wasn't saying that I was going to join in some of the "traditions", but I just kinda wanted to know just for the curiousity factor.

And yes, hiking the AT is more important (to me) than what you do along the way.

By answering this question which comes up every year, some of the more inane "traditions" are perpetuated.

Actually, what you do along the way determines to no small extent what options are available to others who follow you. I suggest you HYOH mindful of what I just pointed out.

Patrickjd9
01-06-2008, 15:09
I plan to hide a large stone in my brother's pack and see his reaction when I take it out when we get to the end. :D
On a cabin weekend to the --since demolished--Sexton Cabin in George Washington NF, a friend of mine gave another what she said was a piece of frozen ham to pack in for dinner.

It turned out to be a foil-wrapped frozen brick!

Patrickjd9
01-06-2008, 15:15
Actually, what you do along the way determines to no small extent what options are available to others who follow you. I suggest you HYOH mindful of what I just pointed out.
This is important. Can't speak from firsthand, but there seem to be some significant behavioral issues, especially among the big NOBO crowd, right now.

High spirits are fine, but the people who are likely to get the payback from locals for vandalism or public drunkenness in large groups are likely to be:

1. Alone or in a pair.

2. Completely unconnected with such incidents.

River Runner
01-06-2008, 20:41
Hey guys,

Well a really good tradition is to have your picture taken at Springer Mountain plaque and the sign at Katahdin. ;)

Lots of NOBO thru hikers also sign in at Amicolola State Park & have their packed weighed. Then after they ship a buncha stuff home from Neel's Gap, they have it weighed again. ;)

WILLIAM HAYES
01-06-2008, 20:44
never say goodbye -just simply say see you down the trail

River Runner
01-07-2008, 00:55
If I recall correctly Bonnie Shipe was given a life membership in the ATC for her trail magic over the years. When the long Cumberland road walk was moved off road, her house was bypassed. You can see her in the video "Five Million Steps".

Interesting, considering the recent ATC stance on trail magic. :-?

rafe
01-07-2008, 01:03

Is there an official ATC stance on the matter? Is it posted somewhere? I know how WF and LW feel about the matter...

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 01:15
Hey guys,

First of all. . . :welcome :welcome
Hopefully some of our very intuitive or experienced hikers will chime in with the tradition info I think you're looking for. Here's some that made the trail what I hoped it would be.
Making a campfire every night possible. Still enjoying the night long past hiker midnight (9pm). Cooking with a stove that weighs less than a remote control. Washing in weather that most people 'bundle up' for.
Greeting every stranger with a smile.

But for the more 'traditional' traditions I've heard of but (mostly) haven't participated in:
Hike naked day - June 21:rolleyes: :) ;)
Moon the Cog Rail - mostly frowned upon (I hope)
Ice cream challenge
4 state challenge
Carry a little rock from Springer to Katahdin (or vice-versa)
Sleep with Miss Janet (which I'm told is actually just a humorous t-shirt):p
STAY AT SHAW'S - Which if there was one trail law, that should be it!!!!
Do the 4 state challenge
Leave no trace
Perform many acts of kindness
Weep uncontrollably when reaching the terminus of your choice.

emerald
01-07-2008, 01:22

I don't recall hearing the term trail magic in those days. More importantly, the A.T. followed a public road and went right by her home where she provided ice cream cones to hikers on her property. Big difference.:-?

Wargy, your post appeared on the board before mine. I've said all I intend to say.

rafe
01-07-2008, 01:34
I don't recall hearing the term trail magic in those days. More importantly, the A.T. followed a public road and went right by her home where she provided ice cream cones to hikers on her property. Big difference.:-?

I dare say, the term "trail magic" goes way, way back. IIRC, the term comes up in some of the Rodale journals. And probably in Lynne Weldon's "5 Million Steps" and/or the "Philospher's Guide"s from the late 80's.

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 01:41
Wargy, your post appeared on the board before mine. I've said all I intend to say.
I love when my friends call me Wargy. It enables me to keep a name very important to me without having everyone try to spell it. . . or pronounce it.:) :) :)

emerald
01-07-2008, 01:45
Now, _terrapin_, you're baiting me again. Sometime when you are at a loss for something better to do, could you look up and post for us every instance where trail magic appears in Hiking the Appalachian Trail? I want to see how the term is used.

River Runner
01-07-2008, 01:55
Is there an official ATC stance on the matter? Is it posted somewhere? I know how WF and LW feel about the matter...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.3075131/k.29C2/TrailMagic.htm

In particular:

"And, the plastic cooler or party that is a welcome sight for some, may, for others, detract from the sense of remoteness and self-sufficiency that the Appalachian Trail was created to provide."

And:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/Trail%20Magic%20Suggestions8-3-07.pdf

Containing: "Consider whether your event may be contributing to an
overabundance of trail feeds in the local area or region. Many hikers come to the Trail seeking solitude and contemplation."

And:

"Advertise off-trail. Advertising—even noncommercial—is prohibited on the A.T. Publicizing a “feed” in advance can lead to clumping of long distance hikers, causing overcrowded conditions and greater impacts at shelters and campsites."

River Runner
01-07-2008, 01:58

True it is a difference. I just find it interesting they would have given her an award for something they say detracts from the experience of some these days. Just interesting. :-?

rafe
01-07-2008, 01:59
The term "trail magic" was in common use on the AT in 1990. I have no desire to "study" the matter much beyond that. ;) At some point the practice became "organized" and then controversial. Carol Moore's presence during the 1990 nobo season was almost certainly a case of "organized trail magic" and I don't recall anyone complaining.

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 02:02
True it is a difference. I just find it interesting they would have given her an award for something they say detracts from the experience of some these days. Just interesting. :-?
Someone's kindeness and grace detracting from the experience??:cool:

River Runner
01-07-2008, 02:11
Someone's kindeness and grace detracting from the experience??:cool:

Yeah, I wondered about that too. If the sight of a cooler sitting along a trail is going to detract from a wilderness experience, maybe that person should be hiking somewhere more remote than the AT. ;)

rafe
01-07-2008, 02:14
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.3075131/k.29C2/TrailMagic.htm

In particular:

"And, the plastic cooler or party that is a welcome sight for some, may, for others, detract from the sense of remoteness and self-sufficiency that the Appalachian Trail was created to provide."

And:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/Trail%20Magic%20Suggestions8-3-07.pdf

Containing: "Consider whether your event may be contributing to an
overabundance of trail feeds in the local area or region. Many hikers come to the Trail seeking solitude and contemplation."

Thanks for the links. I don't get too dogmatic about this stuff. I've had my share of magic on the trail, and rarely turned it down.

emerald
01-07-2008, 02:16
Maybe someone who knows the particulars could tell us more. I would think ATC recognized Bonnie for more than ice cream cones. As I wrote earlier, she was active with ALDHA at one time.

emerald
01-07-2008, 02:23
True it is a difference. I just find it interesting they would have given her an award for something they say detracts from the experience of some these days.

Whether TM is good or bad depends upon where and how one goes about the activity. Now enough of this already.:)

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 02:32
Yeah, I wondered about that too. If the sight of a cooler sitting along a trail is going to detract from a wilderness experience, maybe that person should be hiking somewhere more remote than the AT. ;)
Curious, folks who carry myriad items of all make and model on this trail find the palpable items of trail magic objectionable.:cool:

rafe
01-07-2008, 02:38
Well ya know... a freshly-placed cooler full of ice-cold cans of soda is a thing of beauty. But an empty cooler, abandoned, weatherbeaten and full of trash... is an eyesore. It's all in the timing. ;)

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 03:49
Well ya know... a freshly-placed cooler full of ice-cold cans of soda is a thing of beauty.

unless there's a note on it saying "for thru-hikers only" then i open every can and dump them out

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 03:53
unless there's a note on it saying "for thru-hikers only" then i open every can and dump them out
:mad: :p :p :)

Gaiter
01-07-2008, 04:11
going back to the subject: anther tradition for nobo's making it to trail days, some time it right to hike into damascus for it, many have to hitch

AT-HITMAN2005
01-07-2008, 07:57
speaking of damascus, dunno how traditional this is, but what they called it the damascus challenge in '05. go from vandeventure shelter, i think, just north of watauga lake/dam, to damascus in 2 days. might be wrong on the shelter. something around 50 miles, but very flat.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 09:16
speaking of damascus, dunno how traditional this is, but what they called it the damascus challenge in '05. go from vandeventure shelter, i think, just north of watauga lake/dam, to damascus in 2 days. might be wrong on the shelter. something around 50 miles, but very flat.

Wautauga Lake - Damascus. 41 miles. real easy.

Grampie
01-07-2008, 11:49
What are some trail traditions that exist as a thru-hiker?

I think AT traditions are different for each hiker. Something to do with "Hike your own hike."
For me. It was different places to see and to stop at during my hike. Before I thru-hiked I started to do a lot of reading about the AT. Different things I read about were put on a mental list of things that I wanted to do.
My list: Do the approach trail, sleep on to of Springer, stop at Goose Creek Cabins, stop at the Blueberry Patch, sleep at Fontana Hilton, Stop at Mountain Mamas, take a hot tub in Hot Springs, sleep in Roan High Knob Shelter, stop at Kincora, Trail Days, see the Keffer Oak, visit Audi Murphy Monument, stop at Rustey's, stop at the Waynesboro Y , eat at the resturants in the Shenandoah Park, swim at the 4-H pool, stop at Bears, Den Hostel, stop at the Blackburn AT Center, visit ATC office in Harpers Ferry, eat 1/2 gallon ice cream, take my picture at the Mason - Dixon Line, take my picture at the half way marker, `see Boiling Spring, stay at The Doyle, stay at the 501 shelter, stay in Palmerton, stop at the Church of the Mountain Hostel, see NJ High Point Monument, visit the Bear Mountain zoo, stop at Graymoor Center, stop at RPH shelter, camp at Sages Ravine, take a picture of Shays' Monument, stay at Upper Goose Pond Cabin, climb the Mt. Greylock tower, cross the Mass. Pike, spend the night on top of Stratton Mt., stop at The Inn at the Long Trail, stop at the Hikers Welcome in Glencliff, work for stay at AMC Huts, send post cards from Mt. Washington, stay at Shaw's, take my picture on top of Katahdin.
Most of that stuff I did. As I hiked and talked to others I also added more to the list.
Are they traditions? I guess some are and others are not.
My suggestion would be to make your own list, don't rely on others.:)

insider2185
01-07-2008, 12:50
What is the 4 state challenge?

First of all. . . :welcome :welcome
But for the more 'traditional' traditions I've heard of but (mostly) haven't participated in:
Hike naked day - June 21:rolleyes: :) ;)
Moon the Cog Rail - mostly frowned upon (I hope)
Ice cream challenge
4 state challenge
Carry a little rock from Springer to Katahdin (or vice-versa)
Sleep with Miss Janet (which I'm told is actually just a humorous t-shirt):p
STAY AT SHAW'S - Which if there was one trail law, that should be it!!!!
Do the 4 state challenge
Leave no trace
Perform many acts of kindness
Weep uncontrollably when reaching the terminus of your choice.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 12:52

VA line to the PA line thru WVA and Maryland

warraghiyagey
01-07-2008, 12:53
Others here are certainly more well versed on this and many have probably done it. I Believe it's the Maryland/PA? line to Harpers Ferry. You're in 4 states in one day. Roughly 51 miles I believe.

johnny quest
01-07-2008, 13:23
by trying to make that 51 miles in one day dont you miss alot?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 13:26
by trying to make that 51 miles in one day dont you miss alot?

not in that section and anyways thru-hiking ain't about seeing much anyway. it's about covering miles fast then getting your photo on katahdin :)

weary
01-07-2008, 13:38
On a cabin weekend to the --since demolished--Sexton Cabin in George Washington NF, a friend of mine gave another what she said was a piece of frozen ham to pack in for dinner.

It turned out to be a foil-wrapped frozen brick!
Do you have many other sick friends?

saimyoji
01-07-2008, 13:41
not in that section and anyways thru-hiking ain't about seeing much anyway. it's about covering miles fast then getting your photo on katahdin :)

You've obviously never thru-d. You left out the dope, boozeing, pink-blazing, mooching, binge-eating, making a mess with no worries, and general celebrity status wherever you go. That and you get first pick at the shelters, even if people are already there. :rolleyes:

dessertrat
01-07-2008, 13:47

Personally, I think that's a really nice section, even if the hiking is "too easy" for the purists. Annapolis Rocks, White Rocks, and Black Rocks all have nice views, and the stroll along the towpath is nice, as is the climb up Weverton. YMMV.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 13:49
Personally, I think that's a really nice section, even if the hiking is "too easy" for the purists. Annapolis Rocks, White Rocks, and Black Rocks all have nice views, and the stroll along the towpath is nice, as is the climb up Weverton. YMMV.

i do too actually, :)

dessertrat
01-07-2008, 13:54
Not to mention the "man made" sights, such as the George Washington Monument, etc. I forgot about that one. It's like a history lesson walk along South Mountain.

weary
01-07-2008, 15:41
Trail maintainers in Maine are told to carry out such things. The wise ones dump it out first -- unless it happens to be an unopened bottle of good bourbon.

Tin Man
01-07-2008, 15:45
Trail maintainers in Maine are told to carry out such things. The wise ones dump it out first -- unless it happens to be an unopened bottle of good bourbon.

What if it is a good bourbon labeled "Save for SGT Rock, thru-hiker"?

johnny quest
01-07-2008, 15:54
well, im all for participating in the true "traditions" of the trail...but not any speed hikes that require me to miss part of the trail for the sake of saying i was in 4 states in one day. thats what cars are for.

Kirby
01-07-2008, 19:03
I believe the 4 state challenge is 41 miles, not 51.

Let me see if I got this right:
*Hikers complain when there is a lot of tough terrain
*These same hikers proceed to sprint through the "flat" miles in the Mid-atlantic(at least I am told it is realitvely "flat")
*They then complain again when they reach more mountainous terrain.

Interesting,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 19:10

*These same hikers proceed to sprint through the "flat" miles in the Mid-atlantic(at least I am told it is realitvely "flat")

Interesting,
Kirby

no. 51ish

A-Train
01-07-2008, 19:18

Interesting,
Kirby

That's basically the pysche of a thru-hiker. No one ever said we were a logical bunch:)

It's in most people's nature to bring difficulty and challenge on themselves. For instance many people try to lighten their pack weight to go faster and do more miles, not to make the same miles easier.

The 4 state marathon is not something I'd wanna do. Didn't know anyone who tried it. Kinda like the march into Damascus, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Kill urself just to have to take 2-3 Zeros and risk injury. Maryland is a pleasant section with history and can easily be traversed at a more mortal pace of 20-25 mpd

dessertrat
01-07-2008, 19:19

Interesting,
Kirby

I think just Maryland is around 42-43 miles. Then you'd have to go through HF and a bit of WV to get to Virginia.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-07-2008, 19:52
i thought the walk through HF was pretty neat. the history there is awesome. and there is the war correspondent memorial in there somewhere i think. the rivers all converging were great. those historical signs they have all over the trail are always a plus.

Kirby
01-07-2008, 19:58
no. 51ish

According to the ATC Data Book, Harper's Ferry to Pen-Mar line is 41.6 miles. I could easily be missing something though, happens quite a bit:o.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 19:59
According to the ATC Data Book, Harper's Ferry to Pen-Mar line is 41.6 miles. I could easily be missing something though, happens quite a bit:o.

Kirby

gotta go south of there to the VA/WVA line

dessertrat
01-07-2008, 20:01
Yes, Maryland has a lot of civil war history. The correspondent's memorial is at Gathland. Then you get up to George Washington Monument. All along South Mountain are former battle sites.

rickb
01-07-2008, 20:36
River Runner;493765]True it is a difference. I just find it interesting they would have given her an award for something they say detracts from the experience of some these days. Just interesting. :-?

A huge difference.

The Shipe's home was in the middle +/- of a 20-mile road walk through the Cumberland Valley. Right on the Trail.

I wasn't going to stop since my schedule had me passing by their house around dinner time, and I didn't want to intrude. Steve passed by in his car on his way home from work and slowed to down share that his wife would be disappointed if I didn't at least stop to say high. They took me out to a Pondarosa with their kids during a rather lonely stretch of my hike (for the past 72 days I hadn't hiked with anyone going my direction) and were very good to me. I was given the basement with its private shower and wood stove that evening.

I sent her a thank you note some 10 years later. Better late than never?

sloopjonboswell
01-07-2008, 20:36
heres some i could suggest
1. drink had liquor with a trail legend
2. blue blaze
3. sleep directly on the trail
4. four nights in maryland
5. go to a hiker feed
6. stay at least five days in a trail town
7. dont get arrested at trail days

The Old Fhart
01-07-2008, 20:50
Kirby-"According to the ATC Data Book, Harper's Ferry to Pen-Mar line is 41.6 miles. I could easily be missing something though, happens quite a bit:o "The 4 states are VA, WV, MD, and PA. As Lone Wolf said, you have to start in VA which is 2.4 miles south of Harpers Ferry on the A.T. at Loudoun Heights. On Loudoun Heights the trail follows the border for about 15 miles but you step into VA at Loudoun Heights. From HF thru MD to the PA border is 40.5 miles, 0.2 mile beyond Pen-Mar. (2004 mileage) making the 4 state challenge 42.9 miles if my math is correct.

HF to Pen-Mar doesn't take you thru 4 states, only 2.

YMMV ;)

rafe
01-07-2008, 20:55
That VA-WV line is squirrely south of Harpers Ferry. I was having trouble making sense of it. I can tell you I was pleased when I finally got to that "Welcome to Virginia" sign. Of course, by then, I was already dreading the roller coaster...

Blissful
01-07-2008, 21:02

You got that right. I ended up at the Carlisle Medical Center. And I only ate half of it.

Tin Man
01-07-2008, 21:16
You got that right. I ended up at the Carlisle Medical Center. And I only ate half of it.

Wow, I didn't know it could make you THAT sick. What flavor was it? And what was the treatment?

Nearly Normal
01-07-2008, 21:46
Claim you practice LNT.

Patrickjd9
01-07-2008, 22:51
Do you have many other sick friends?
Could have been sick to do to the wrong person (or for too many miles), but the "victim" was himself a practical joker.

Was taken in good spirits...

warraghiyagey
01-08-2008, 00:11

Interesting,
Kirby
Relax Francis.

River Runner
01-08-2008, 03:40
A huge difference.

I sent her a thank you note some 10 years later. Better late than never?

Might have even meant more to her 10 years later, to realize that you still thought about the kindness she provided. :)

Jim Adams
01-08-2008, 04:10
the best thing in Maryland is the Dog Patch Saloon!

geek

Johnny Thunder
01-08-2008, 10:09
Relax Francis.

Don't call me Francis

Furlough
01-08-2008, 11:40
What ever you do--DO NOT follow Gator Gump's advise on traditions.

Or if you do, do not write about them until after you finish. :)

tlw08
01-08-2008, 13:53
Or if you do, do not write about them until after you finish. :)

Say what you all will, but it appears he made it to the end in order (mostly) to spite White Blaze :rolleyes: (just read the whole thing)

Furlough
01-08-2008, 13:55
Say what you all will, but it appears he made it to the end in order (mostly) to spite White Blaze :rolleyes: (just read the whole thing)
Roger that. I followed along and cheered for him the whole way. Really one of the more enjoyable TJs from '07.