PDA

View Full Version : Late April Hike, Georgia AT?

Bulldawg
01-06-2008, 00:13
OK, with the developments along the trail this week my wife is freaking out about my planned April hike from Springer to Woody Gap or maybe Neels(alone). I would be looking to leave either the third or fourth Friday morning in April finishing at one of the gaps on Sunday. I don't hike fast (8 miles per day MAX ever), have never done a three day hike, but look forward to the challenge. Anyone that can handle schooling someone like me out there? PM and we can chat if you are interested. Thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 00:15
there will be a lot of people on the trail at that time. you won't be alone

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 00:18
Yeah, you better bring a tent, it can be hard to get a spot in a shelter during this time frame.

Bulldawg
01-06-2008, 00:19
there will be a lot of people on the trail at that time. you won't be alone

I was sort of thinking the same thing. Is the third or fourth weekend in April not past peak thru hiker time? i certainly don't want to be on the trail with hundreds of folks, no offense, but you know the drill. What are the odds do you think Wolf of getting up with someone who keeps my pace that time of year. You thru hikers go at such a pace, its impressive to me. How do you do it? Anyway, I was thinking there should be plenty of folks up there then too. What do you think the numbers will be? My wife asked me at supper if my life insurance was going to be paid up before giving me her blessings, which she has not as of yet.

Bulldawg
01-06-2008, 00:20
Yeah, you better bring a tent, it can be hard to get a spot in a shelter during this time frame.

This is going to offend Wolf, but I'll be hanging in a tree myself!:cool::eek:

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 00:21
This is going to offend Wolf, but I'll be hanging in a tree myself!:cool::eek:

nah. it's better than staying in a shelter

Bulldawg
01-06-2008, 00:25
nah. it's better than staying in a shelter

Can I get that in writing from you Wolf. You were dogging me the other day for considering a hammock!;););)

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 00:26
don't pay me no mind. i'm FOS most times

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 00:26
... You thru hikers go at such a pace, its impressive to me. How do you do it?..
Plenty of "thru-hikers drop out by Neel's Gap, you can walk with them

That was pretty FU, sorry:D

Bulldawg
01-06-2008, 00:28
Plenty of "thru-hikers drop out by Neel's Gap, you can walk with them

That was pretty FU, sorry:D

I'd say anyone who drops out by mile marker 30 has not really thought this thing out have they?

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 00:30
I'd say anyone who drops out by mile marker 30 has not really thought this thing out have they?

it's just fantasy and reality meeting up

Bulldawg
01-12-2008, 23:55
Bump this back to the top

HikerChick2008
01-29-2008, 22:48
OK, with the developments along the trail this week my wife is freaking out about my planned April hike from Springer to Woody Gap or maybe Neels(alone). I would be looking to leave either the third or fourth Friday morning in April finishing at one of the gaps on Sunday. I don't hike fast (8 miles per day MAX ever), have never done a three day hike, but look forward to the challenge. Anyone that can handle schooling someone like me out there? PM and we can chat if you are interested. Thanks!
I will be around, its a lovely time of the year.

Bulldawg
01-29-2008, 23:00
You'll be around where? On the AT or what?

shoe
01-30-2008, 00:09
When I did the GA section in 06 I left on April 21st. It was a great time to be out there. The crowds were pretty much gone but there was enough people to hang out with at night, well except for the 1 lonely night I had at Wood's Hole Shelter.

You'll have a great time.

Georgia John
01-30-2008, 23:53
Dude...come on! That time of year.. You’ll have more company than you would like. Its 20 miles...Grow a pair!

Bulldawg
01-30-2008, 23:55
Dude...come on! That time of year.. You’ll have more company than you would like. Its 20 miles...Grow a pair!

You wanna come over here and convince my wife. I really don't appreciate that comment man, come on, was it really called for??

Georgia John
01-31-2008, 00:15
You wanna come over here and convince my wife. I really don't appreciate that comment man, come on, was it really called for??

John, sorry It was not my intent to denigrate or in any way belittle your hike. I was reacting, or expressing from my on experience. I have hiked that hike you are about to hike many times and every time I always thought that section of the trail was crowded. Every .25 mile I would run into someone on the trail; every shelter was full.

Bulldawg
01-31-2008, 00:19
OK, alright then, apology accepted. I know it's only 20 miles, and I don't know if I will take 2 days or 3 days, you know, HYOH. And I know there are plenty of folks up there, especially that time of year. I just posted this here a few weeks back becuase the wife (who is not much of a hiker) was throwing a fit about me being up there alone. I keep telling her I would most likely not be alone. Just like this past weekend, I hiked alone, but not really alone. I saw probably 20 people on the trail I was on, even though I was technically alone (not hiking with anyone I was there with).

Where in GEORGIA John?

Sevin
02-10-2008, 11:20
Hey John, I was planning to get out sometime in May but I could probably alter my plan a bit. I understand about the wife...I get it from my wife, kids and the rest of my family. I'm probably just about your speed too.

CrumbSnatcher
02-10-2008, 11:30
I was sort of thinking the same thing. Is the third or fourth weekend in April not past peak thru hiker time? i certainly don't want to be on the trail with hundreds of folks, no offense, but you know the drill. What are the odds do you think Wolf of getting up with someone who keeps my pace that time of year. You thru hikers go at such a pace, its impressive to me. How do you do it? Anyway, I was thinking there should be plenty of folks up there then too. What do you think the numbers will be? My wife asked me at supper if my life insurance was going to be paid up before giving me her blessings, which she has not as of yet.john stop worrying and just get out there. yes thruhikers can move pretty quick,but most start off at about 8 mile a day average. you'll meet some good people to walk with. hell you might find out you want to hike alone... have fun
:banana

Ghosthiker
02-10-2008, 16:23
John, I was planning on doing Neels Gap down to Amicalola, starting on that Saturday. Figured it was easier to leave my car at Amicalola and get shuttled over to Neels. I also have a few days past the weekend, tho. If you want to go SOBO, we can hike it and you can drop out where you need to.