PDA

View Full Version : Winter hats

troutseeker
01-06-2008, 02:02
What hats do some of you use that does not have you sweating too bad during a climb, but cold when you stop. I guess I need one breathable. I cannot wear my wool hat anymore, I tend to itch when wearing most hats.

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 02:05
I just wear a knit cap and take it off as soon as I start getting warm, back on when I start getting cold. No material can breath like bare skin and even bare skin doesn't breath too well if hot enough.

greentick
01-06-2008, 02:26
What hats do some of you use that does not have you sweating too bad during a climb, but cold when you stop. I guess I need one breathable. I cannot wear my wool hat anymore, I tend to itch when wearing most hats.

Whatever is cheapest in the clearance bin at REI:D .

I have a lightweight Smartwool beenie
http://www.rei.com/product/738915
that turned out to be alot warmer than I thought - its like tshirt thickness. Seems like I got mine on the outlet site for under 10 bucks.

I keep a piece of gutted, looped 550 cord with a cordlock attached to my shoulder strap. When I start getting warm I put my hat there. If I stop or need it its easy to get. I will usually put my gloves there too.

If it is really cold and windy I have an older one of these
http://www.rei.com/product/757181
I like the wind block and it breathes well. Also less than 10 bucks at time of purchase. The REI here starts putting all the winter odds and ends on clearance around this time of year.

You will quickly figure when you will start sweating. Don't be afraid to stop and drop a layer rather than sweat. In November I was walking in the Smokies with just a baselayer wool shirt. It was easy to up my heat level by just putting on a hat if needed.

mudhead
01-06-2008, 07:32
I favor a Columbia Kvichak. I that it will "dome" up enough to cool off, and pull down enough to keep warm. Can also pull down over tops of ears to keep glasses on the face in a wind.

I use an old washed to"thin" one in the summer. Fits in back pocket, but is just enough when up in the air.

Marta
01-06-2008, 07:44
If it's too warm for a hat but there's a cold breeze that makes my ears hurt, I wear a fleece headband.

gunghonia
01-06-2008, 08:42
Army fleece watchcaps, which come in black or green and are available online or at any surplus store are super-lightweight and warm, yet breatheable (and fairly cheap, too!)

NorthCountryWoods
01-06-2008, 10:29
I've got a trunk full of hats and by far the warmest breathable hat I've owned-

http://www.jytte.com/index.php

It's wool, but has fleece on the inside. It's an older one that I don't see on their site. Had it about 5-6 years and it's held up well, doesn't stink and is still the goto on the coldest days.

maxNcathy
01-06-2008, 10:33
Check OR. I love the OR cap which has venting along both sides.A smart design for sure.

wrongway_08
01-06-2008, 10:33
Smart wool, thin, light and warm.

troutseeker
01-06-2008, 10:44
I've got a trunk full of hats and by far the warmest breathable hat I've owned-

http://www.jytte.com/index.php

It's wool, but has fleece on the inside. It's an older one that I don't see on their site. Had it about 5-6 years and it's held up well, doesn't stink and is still the goto on the coldest days.

Cool company, thanks!

saimyoji
01-06-2008, 10:50
walmart blaze orange knit cap $0.94

Toolshed
01-06-2008, 11:05
Ditto.
I also have one for my son. I can spot him in any ski slope crowd, playground group and at the bus stop.

I usually keep one or two in each vehicle in the winter, so that we all have hats to wear when we need them, if we decide to take a side trip somewhere..

kayak karl
01-06-2008, 11:37
Ditto.
I also have one for my son. I can spot him in any ski slope crowd, playground group and at the bus stop.

I usually keep one or two in each vehicle in the winter, so that we all have hats to wear when we need them, if we decide to take a side trip somewhere..
that is the kind of hat i wanted for hiking in hunting season. asked for it for christmas. this is what i got.:-?

shelterbuilder
01-06-2008, 11:54
that is the kind of hat i wanted for hiking in hunting season. asked for it for christmas. this is what i got.:-?

Hey, they'll see you on the slopes and the bus stops with THAT one!

Seriously, if you're allergic to wool, try fleece, try acrylic - any thick, synthetic fiber should work. When I hike, I wear very little clothing - only enough to stay comfortably COOL. But when I stop, the layers come out amlost at once...extra jacket/sweater, hat, gloves.

Happy Feet
01-06-2008, 12:19
For me, earmuffs are the way to go for hiking. My head doesn't get cold but my ears sure do. I have a fleece hat for camp/sleeping.

Tin Man
01-06-2008, 12:23

Hm, better watch your back.

mudhead
01-06-2008, 12:33
Haven't you worn that thing out yet? Carhartt. $7 less fade.

Ditto.

I bet he loves that!

I wish all kids were required to wear blaze. With the snow banks, and the playing, they don't show up very well.

desdemona
01-14-2008, 01:15
Hey, they'll see you on the slopes and the bus stops with THAT one!

Seriously, if you're allergic to wool, try fleece, try acrylic - any thick, synthetic fiber should work. When I hike, I wear very little clothing - only enough to stay comfortably COOL. But when I stop, the layers come out amlost at once...extra jacket/sweater, hat, gloves.

Usually people who itch with wool aren't actually allergic. I can wear Smartwool and I itch from anything else. I swear by smartwool. I like fleece though.

--des