PDA

View Full Version : Are Hammocks prohibited Anywhere?

highway
01-06-2008, 09:10
On another site it was mentioned that hammocks are prohibited in some national parks, naming specifically Fort Desoto in Florida.

Has anyone ever heard that or experienced that or know of any place, anywhere, they are specifically prohibited? For the life of me I cannot recall anywhere i have been that specifically excluded their use.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 09:19
probably baxter park. everything is prohibited there

Shadowmoss
01-06-2008, 09:21
A lot of places - especially commercial parks - have a 'no hanging anything from the trees' rule. That would apply to hammocks, too, unless you can sweet talk someone into making an exception by pointing out you use straps specifically so as not to harm the trees.

To them, clothes line, hammock, same thing.

kayak karl
01-06-2008, 10:13
A lot of places - especially commercial parks - have a 'no hanging anything from the trees' rule. That would apply to hammocks, too, unless you can sweet talk someone into making an exception by pointing out you use straps specifically so as not to harm the trees.

To them, clothes line, hammock, same thing.
this summer i was camping next to a boy scout group. they had 2 hammocks, i had 1. rangers stopped and looked, but they were too busy finding the boom boxes. if they get a thorne in their side, be ready to go to the ground.

Just Jeff
01-06-2008, 10:50
Florida state parks, among others, have the rule that nothing can be tied to trees. Ed Speer started making a list of places where hammocks are encouraged and prohibited. Might pop over to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping and see where it's posted.

FanaticFringer
01-06-2008, 10:51
www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2196&highlight=prohibited

MOWGLI
01-06-2008, 10:55
They are prohibited in my yard. And in some state parks. Check the regs before assuming it's OK to setup.

Footslogger
01-06-2008, 12:25
Has anyone ever heard that or experienced that or know of any place, anywhere, they are specifically prohibited? For the life of me I cannot recall anywhere i have been that specifically excluded their use.

==================================

Max Patch and Beauty Spot ...

Just kiddin of course !!

'Slogger

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 12:28
==================================

Max Patch and Beauty Spot ...

Just kiddin of course !!

'Slogger
You may be kidding, but I think it's true. I've seen many tents there, but never once a hammock.