PDA

View Full Version : Final gear list

wrongway_08
01-06-2008, 13:27
Well, this is it. After doing some trips and goofing around with the gear I bought ( and rebought :rolleyes: ... and rebought.....:D ) - this is it. Everything works well together and fits my wants and needs.

- Pack, Go-Lite Jam 2,modified – extra pocket - 1 lb 6.50 oz
- Platypus 3 liter drink bladder - 3.75 oz
- Summer Bag/stuff sack, Mont-Bell, 40 degree 800 fill - 1 lb 2.85 oz
- Winter Bag/stuff sack, Mont-Bell, 15 degree 800 fill - 2 lb 3.25 oz
- Sleeping Pad/stuff sack, Big Anges, inflate-insulated, modified (see post under gear talk) - 13.20 oz
- Tent, contrail tarptent, stuff sack, 2 extra stakes – 1 lb 13.20 oz
- Stove/pot/fuel Boil.(fuel,spoon,fork,lighter also) - 1 lb 5.95 oz total
- Water Filter, Katadyn Hiker Pro - 12.70 oz
- Leki Poles - 1 lb 4.80 oz
- light, Petzl Tikka plus - 2.70 oz
- Compass with mirror (lighter then just a mirror) – 1.30 oz
- Boots – 2 1b 2 oz with dirt.

* Clothes:
.- Smart Wool Merino, Long top & bottom - 12.50 oz
.- Under Armour, under wear (2) - 5.90 oz
.- REI, pants/short combo - 13.15 oz
.- REI, Light Rain Pants - 9.35 oz
.- REI, Light Rain Jacket/modified with pack cover – 1 lb .60 oz
.- Exoffico long sleeve roll up shirt - 7.90 oz
.- Under Armour T-shirts (2) - 10.10 oz
.- Wool socks (3)and liner socks (2) - 11.25 oz
.- OR gloves and liners – 7.05 oz
.- Smart Wool hat – 1.85 oz
.- Half face cover/neck cover – 2.20 oz
.- Clothes stuff sack, water proof, sleeping bag holder also - 4.05 oz
.- Mont Bell down top – 6.90 oz
.- Mont Bell Down bottom – 9.95 oz
.- camp shoes – 14.25 oz

* Medical pack: 11.75 oz total
- Band-aids, 8 real small (to make stiches if needed) 2 large
- nail cutters
- 3 small eye wash tubes
- Small size Campho-Phenigue Antiseptic
- 25 Q-Tips
- 3 needles
- Tweezers
- 4 Alcohol wipes
- Tooth Paste
- Tooth Brush
- small soap
- body wipes
- Chap stick

*Misc:
- Camera – 5.30 oz
- Cellphone – 3.40 oz
- ditigal temp/date/clock (small one, ties off to pack) – 1.15 oz

*Zip pack with: - 8.50 oz total
- phone charger
- spare battery for everything
- repair kits for everything

Weight for all gear, winter weight, what I am wearing - 20 LB 15.75 oz

Pack weight winter = gear on my back while hiking – 14.12.2 oz

Figure in food (10 lbs) and water (3lbs), winter weight is under 28 lbs

mountain squid
01-06-2008, 13:53
Looks pretty good. Some observations:

food stuff sack
50' nylon line
one eating utensil is enough
maps/guidebook
sm Swiss Army knife
hand sanitizer
sunscreen (no leaves)
ear plugs
duct tape
down bottom pants might be too hot (when in camp, if cold, get in sleeping bag)
something extra to hold water
whistle
pencil/notebook
TP

And, of course, dont forget ID/credit/ATM cards...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

rafe
01-06-2008, 13:54
Ok, you're done thinking about gear. No need to obsess. Any adjustments from here can be done as you go. Now git!

hopefulhiker
01-06-2008, 14:22
I would take an extra water bottle or something in case the bladder breaks.

Appalachian Tater
01-06-2008, 14:37
You seem to have a lot of shirts and underwear. Try to weed out some clothes to the minimum needed to have reserve dry clothing/something to wear doing laundry. Consider light nylon shorts for swimming and doing laundry.

Also, you need something like a gallon ziplock freezer bag to put your dirty socks in. A few freezer bags will be good for a lot of other things, too, like keeping your guidebook and toilet paper dry and separating snacks to keep hand.

Pour some alcohol in your body wipes and they'll do a better job at keeping small scratches or scrapes or blistered dirty feet clean.

I'm not sure how you plan on using those little bandaids as substitute "suture" strips, those things never stick very well, especially on a bloody wound. If you have a cut that bad, you can use duct tape and it will actually stick.

Pauline Houle
01-06-2008, 15:11
I would add a tick spoon. It weighs less than 1/2 oz. Get it at the Vet's. Works great on people too. (We tried it in our E.R.)

88BlueGT
01-06-2008, 18:13
What exactally is a tick spoon?

wrongway_08
01-06-2008, 19:23
Sorry, I have a trash size zip lock in my food bag and the rope in with it. Also have 3 other zip lock bags. the knife was in with a bag but forgot to write it down.

I did forget the small not book/pen.

For the ticks I have the tweezers in my med kit, the are the pointed ones, so you can lift them up and get them out.

Thanks for the input

River Runner
01-07-2008, 01:33
Looks pretty good. I can only come up with a couple of nitpicks. 25 Q-tips seems like a lot, but they don't weigh much.

You could go with butterfly bandages instead of small band-aids if you want wound closure. Or if you can get hold of some steri-strips, even better.

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2008, 01:40
If you think you need sutures you need to go to the ER. They're going to wash it out before sewing it up if it needs to be sewn up. So duct tape is fine for a few hours and helps keep crud out.

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 01:40
By the time this guy makes it to Harpers Ferry - he's pretty much going to be closer to ape than man. I bet you he'll be using twigs to clean his ears out instead of Q-tips (I know I was). Let the poor guy enjoy his short lived humanity - let him have his Q-tips. Wound closure? That's for pansies.

rafe
01-07-2008, 01:48
By the time this guy makes it to Harpers Ferry - he's pretty much going to be closer to ape than man. I bet you he'll be using twigs to clean his ears out instead of Q-tips (I know I was). Let the poor guy enjoy his short lived humanity - let him have his Q-tips. Wound closure? That's for pansies.

:D :sun ;) :banana Good chuckles there. :p

ScottP
01-07-2008, 01:53
He's carrying so little that he's going to turn into an ape?

I though that he plans to carry so much that his legs are going to melt and he's going to turn into a blob.

I have the feeling that we're both wrong.

Bob S
01-07-2008, 02:18
If you think you need sutures you need to go to the ER. They're going to wash it out before sewing it up if it needs to be sewn up. So duct tape is fine for a few hours and helps keep crud out.

Taking duct tape off a wound, OUCH!!!

That stuff always sticks like glue (unless you really need it to.)

I find I almost always over pack somewhat, I have always been a person with a what if frame of mind and try to cover as many unforeseen possibilities as I can. It’s a sickness I have that I’m trying to cure.

wrongway_08
01-07-2008, 18:47

You should see some of the scars I have from my Band aid stitches..... I dont go to the E.R. unless its really needed - have to be a missing finger or something. You can use eye wash stuff to clean out the cut...... at least thats what I use to clean them out.

wrongway_08
01-07-2008, 18:49

:D :D :D let me have my .25 oz worth of Q-tips...... its all I have :)

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2008, 20:16
You should see some of the scars I have from my Band aid stitches..... I dont go to the E.R. unless its really needed - have to be a missing finger or something. You can use eye wash stuff to clean out the cut...... at least thats what I use to clean them out.

If by "eye wash stuff" you mean normal saline, that's the same thing they use in the E.R. I don't see why you couldn't use sterile water, either.

You should see some of the scars I have from where physicians have sewn me up. Of course, it took four people to hold me down for the one on my face, one for each arm, one for the feet, and one for the head. I'm sure it was like something out of The Exorcist to an observer.

How do you get the bandaids to stick? Superglue?

Taking duct tape off a wound, OUCH!!!

That stuff always sticks like glue (unless you really need it to.)

The trick for removing adhesive tape or bandages is to only pull it off in the direction towards the wound, never away from it. It also helps to talk to the patient for distraction. Best is to have someone else talk to the patient and do it right before the patient is going to say something, that means their brain is already occupied.

If you are removing your own, just do it fast.

wrongway_08
01-07-2008, 20:27
Never had a problem with them sticking, just wash off the surface dirt, clean the slice as good as you can, dry the edges off with your shirt, cut a large "V" on each side of the band aid and then strech it across the slice.

Blissful
01-07-2008, 21:27
Trust me the Q tips will get fluffed out the longer you hold onto them. The cotton can then come off and get lodged in your ears if you are using them for that. Only take five and get more on the way or put in mail drop.

Just some observations -

Seems like a big clothes list. Not sure you need both merino and down bottoms. I take it the down top is your jacket? You'll need it. One t-shirt is enough until summer.

Heavy boots, ugh. (JMO) :)

A spoon is sufficient

Skip the repair kits. Enough outfitters to make do. Rockfish Gap will help with warranty issues. Be ready to replace your Big Agnes, though.

Hope you have a good temp digital read out thing that won't go dead in cold weather. Cold sucks battery life. Mine never worked.

I also took a tube of hydrocortisone and glad I did late spring into summer with bug bites and Poison Ivy. And carried some dental floss, but I have sensitive gums.

Nearly Normal
01-07-2008, 21:45
Final gear list

Gear list are never final.
Ask any hikers wife.

wrongway_08
01-07-2008, 22:44
Final gear list

Gear list are never final.
Ask any hikers wife.

:D :cool:

sparky2000
01-07-2008, 23:01
I agree with the one's who say, "let the animal go, he'll modify as he goes!". I'll be a couple of weeks behind you - might skip PA as once having done PA is enough - if so we might end up treking some together again! Sparky