PDA

View Full Version : homemade bivy sack

whoops
12-23-2003, 19:27
I was kicking around the idea of sewing my own bivy sack and was wondering if anybody had any experience or patterns they would like to share. Any info would be much appreciated.

bretb
01-04-2004, 10:50
I made one out of tyvek home wrap but I haven't had the chance to use it yet. I basically made it like a giant stuffsack with a hood. I can email or post a photo if interested. Weight of the finished bivy is 14 oz but I made it way way larger than it needs to be (I didn't use a pattern just threw it together).

Bret

whoops
01-04-2004, 16:30
I'd really like to see a pic of that. Any ideas are much appreciated.

DebW
01-04-2004, 18:48
Just use your sleeping bag as a pattern. I made one with a coated ripstop floor and some previously-used Goretex on top. Epic or something similar would be lighter. I added a 1/2 length zipper on one side and left the head area open (I'll sleep under a tarp in the rain). I made mine to be used around a hammock as well as on the ground. Photo in the gallery.

TJ aka Teej
01-04-2004, 19:28
Just use your sleeping bag as a pattern.
Mrs TJ used my sleeping bag and pad for a pattern. She took an old family sized tent, drew a rough outline on it and cut it up. Took the floor and the no-see-um door and sewed them together like a big pillowcase. No added zipper, the netting over my torso is oversized so I can either tuck it underneath or tie a string to a shelter rafter. She made it to use in shelters, where the floors are always nasty and the locations usually buggy, but I've used it under a tarp mostly. Recycling old gear - I like doing that!

HikeLite
02-07-2004, 00:53
From another forum, I made my own sleeping bag cover from a Neatsheet. It is about 40" wide and 77" long, without a hood, similar to the Equinox bivy cover. It weighs about 7 oz. and should be water-resistant. My purpose is to see if it will cut down on the condensation issues here in the South.

hungryhowie
02-07-2004, 01:34
I was kicking around the idea of sewing my own bivy sack and was wondering if anybody had any experience or patterns they would like to share. Any info would be much appreciated.

Ron Moak at Six Moon Designs has come out with a patern (downloadable in .pdf form) called the Meteor Bivy. It's definately worth a look. It weighs ~10.5oz and has mosquito netting. He touts it as a perfect companion for the AT.

-Howie

Rambler
05-08-2004, 19:22
Goto "Patterns", "Gear", then "tents/sleeping bags" You'll find a pattern for a bivy. http://www.questoutfitters.com