PDA

View Full Version : Late May Thru-hike Departure

southernstepper
01-06-2008, 21:26
Hello everyone! I've been lurking around on whiteblaze, but this is my first official post. I'm in the very preliminary process of planning a thru-hike - basically, I'm still just fantasizing. One option would be for me to thru-hike right after graduating high school, which would put me leaving somewhere between May 15-20 2009. I don't want to miss the class of 09 and the thru-hike community, I don't want to be putting in 30 mile days consistently, and I don't want to be hiking in winter. I know I'd have to reach Katahdin by about October 15 because of Baxter State Park rules. I guess I'd have to be hiking in the 20s every day, and take very few zeros.... should I just forget about such a late departure and wait until a better time? Are thru-hikers still leaving around May 15?

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 21:32
Don't focus so much on a thru, they're way overrated, just get out there and do what you can.

Bearpaw
01-06-2008, 21:35
Hike South-bound.

Or consider flip-flopping. Head north until September something. Then head to Katahdin and hike south back to where you got off the trail to summit Katahdin. Folks do it all the time.

Of course it's possible to do the trail in 5 month and finish by mid-October. You just have to hold your breath and hope Big K doesn't get an early heavy snow.

southernstepper
01-06-2008, 21:40
Don't focus so much on a thru, they're way overrated, just get out there and do what you can.
Good input; I definitely have considered doing summer section-hikes without the worry of an official destination, but a thru-hike is still something I'd like to find the time to do.

River Runner
01-06-2008, 23:42
If you really want to do it, and have the time, don't wait until later looking for a more convenient date. Sometimes later never comes.

If you want to hike with others, southbound would give you a better opportunity, or as Bearpaw said, a flip-flop. Be aware that there are not as many southbounders, but do you really want to travel with hundreds anyway? There should be enough southbounders that you could still find good company if that's what you want.

Montego
01-06-2008, 23:50
Hike South-bound.

Or consider flip-flopping. Head north until September something. Then head to Katahdin and hike south back to where you got off the trail to summit Katahdin. Folks do it all the time.

Of course it's possible to do the trail in 5 month and finish by mid-October. You just have to hold your breath and hope Big K doesn't get an early heavy snow.

I agree. I'm doing a flip-flop NOBO from Harpers Ferry to Mt K, then SOBO to Mt Springer starting on May 5th. Plenty of time to reach Baxter before it closes, then 'unlimited' time to reach Mt Springer. Weather should be good (I hope) most of the way too.

Peaks
01-07-2008, 09:11
My advise is to just get out there and try do it. If you find that you are running out of time so you wouldn't be at Katahdin before mid October, then do a leap-frog or flip-flop.

Late May is probably too early to start a SOBO

TheChamp
01-07-2008, 16:13
Take a couple weeks off and go southbound, no pressure to finish by any certain time and you can still meet everyone along the way. Flip-flops don't appeal to me, hiking front point A to B is much more appealing.

dessertrat
01-07-2008, 16:15
Just do it. You'll have over four months (almost five) to get it done. If you don't stop and party like a young punk, you should be able to do it in that time, and you will see some beautiful colors in New Hampshire and Maine.

Rain Man
01-07-2008, 20:35
In "the old days," it seems lots of hikers did what you are proposing,-- hitting the trail NOBO right after graduation. You certainly won't be the first.

Rain:sunMan

TNjed
01-13-2008, 20:05
just go out and hike, I agree if you just hike you can make it. Look at Earl Shaffer, he did it in something like 4.5 months.

Yahtzee
01-13-2008, 20:55
Oh my, you have plenty of time starting May 15. Just start and enjoy. No worries.

thestin
01-13-2008, 21:31
Start hiking and enjoy yourself. When you get to Harpers Ferry you can evaluate if you have enough time to make it to Katahdin. The ATC staff can help you decide, and give you options if you want to flip-flop.

weary
01-13-2008, 21:51
Thousands have done the trail in five months. Those that haven't, have been people like me, age 64, in 1993, and having lived a largely sedentary life; and, of course, those seeking not a wild trail, but a chance for a prolonged party.

If you get to New England and sense there are not enough days left, either flip ahead to Katahdin, or, better in my opinion, skip ahead a few hundred miles, and continue north to Katahdin -- a truly fabulous mountain. and the only proper destination after months of hiking.

If you are hung up on a 2000-miler certificate, go back whenever it is convenient, either that fall, or whatever fall is most convenient, and pick up the few miles you may have missed.

Weary

bigben
01-13-2008, 22:36
The past 2 years I've done a section hike during the 2nd week of May(Springer to Neel's, Neel's to Dick's Creek). This year I'm doing Dick's Creek to Winding Stair Gap that same week. What I can tell you is that yes, I've run into a bunch of thru-hikers during that week. But it's never been crowded and the weather has been glorious, water plentiful. You won't be alone, but you won't be wedged in between 12 others on a shelter floor or lying lopsided in your tent because all the good spots were taken. I love hiking in the south during May.
Bigben

Scaper
01-13-2008, 22:50
May 15 is not to late to start a northbound thru-hike. I started my thru-hike on May 5 and finished on October 9th. Unless you like cold weather I think most thru hikers start way to early. 5 months is plenty of time for a hike . I had over 21 zero days on my hike and did not feel rushed. You will see other northbounders if you start May 15.