PDA

View Full Version : 1500 dollar through hike

snowsurfer
01-06-2008, 23:24
no hotels, no restaurant spoils, straight through from georgia to maine. if there are no serious problems can it be done for 1500 dollars

rafe
01-06-2008, 23:26
Can you live on $75 a week?

snowsurfer
01-06-2008, 23:30
ive heard people doing it for under a thousnd, i feed my family of three for 75 a week c'mon now one person does not need 75 a week in food

CoyoteWhips
01-06-2008, 23:30
Some say yes. Some say no. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29971&highlight=1500)

ScottP
01-06-2008, 23:31
if there are no serious problems

Do you remember 4-7 months of your life that have not included any serious problems?

warraghiyagey
01-06-2008, 23:32
no hotels, no restaurant spoils, straight through from georgia to maine. if there are no serious problems can it be done for 1500 dollars
Yes. :) :)

A-Train
01-06-2008, 23:33
Do some research, there are tons of threads on here discussing this very topic. Definately look in the articles section for Weathercarrot's excellent account of a cheap thru-hiking (I believe done on $1500).

My quick answer:

Yes it's certainly possible. I did it with more money, and didn't regret a thing. You'll have to sacrifice. A lot. This is tough after being in the woods burning thousands of calories. You've gotta have a lot of discipline and be really independent-minded. This means watching all your friends eat restaurant meals while you cook your ramen noodles. This means no Ben n Jerry's, no Pizza, no beer, you can't be much of a smoker, etc.

You said "assuming nothing goes wrong". Well, most likely over 5-6 months something WILL go wrong. You'll get hurt, you'll get sick, you might have to go home for a funeral or something. You just don't know. What if it rains for 14 straight days and you want a motel room because you're starting to grow mold on your body? Consider postage to send drops, send equiptment home, mail letters, etc. What if you're gear malfunctions and you need to replace it?

I'm not trying to discourage you, but simply be realistic. For most people, an AT thru-hike is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you have 1500 bucks, why not do half the trail and come back the next yr to finish it? Or get another job. I can't tell you how satisfying it is to have that mental cusion, to know you can treat yourself is something goes wrong or you just need it. Don't cheat yourself or compromise a very unique journey. The point is to enjoy it, not to try and survive with little to nothing

Appalachian Tater
01-06-2008, 23:33
Of course it is possible. Go for it.

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 23:37
They say anything's possible.

Heater
01-06-2008, 23:40
...if you even ask this question...

No.

You probably do not have the skills or the gumption to make it happen. Sorry.

There are people that are already living on the street that might make that happen. Save up for one more year and go for it with 3K or 4K...

Appalachian Tater
01-06-2008, 23:45
Nah, just go for it. If you don't finish, no big deal. Go as far as you can get. It will be a good experience for you no matter how far you get. I think you can even do it on $1200 if you go 20 miles a day on average. That's more than $10 a day. Ultimately, all you need is air, water, food, and enough clothing to keep you warm, dry, and out of jail.

Matteroo
01-06-2008, 23:53
this assuming you have gear-and gear that is solid-that will last through the end?

think: boots, insoles, pack - I see those things wearing out/expensive/needing interchange. Can get by cheap with the clothes-esp. if you're moving fast all you need is shorts & tshirt for the majority of hiking. If your boots can do the miles, bravo. I'd guess you'd need at least 1 replacement insole if not two if the boot structure holds up.

food wise-it can be done-1 person, on 1500. $10 a day. You move fast you can spend money on more luxurious snacks, assuming your gear and not staying anywhere but free spots/outdoors is floating fine. being a good soul you can probably garner some solid trail magic along the way from the universe and other hikers will be your family. I know I had no problem hooking someone up if they were the person who needed the (beer, food, room split, etc). It was my pleasure.

i didn't, but i wish i did, and thought about a lot the few times I was around brian and glynn (2007) this year (twins-using heavy, old gear) i wanted to throw a $100 bill in their stuff-but i didn't want them to feel like I pitied them at all-they had the best attitudes of anyone i met on the trail, they were inspiring.

if you need gear things, you'll need more than 1500, imho.

Appalachian Tater
01-06-2008, 23:57
You can pick up old gear in shelters, hiker boxes, and from leftover junk at hostels. I saw perfectly good hiking poles, all kinds of clothes, brand-new water systems, flashlights, batteries, compass, maps, shoes, nalgenes, almost anything you need besides a sleeping bag, pack, or tent. Plenty of food including the occasional Mountain House.

rafe
01-07-2008, 00:04
ive heard people doing it for under a thousnd, i feed my family of three for 75 a week c'mon now one person does not need 75 a week in food

If you already know the answer, why are you asking? :-?

Matteroo
01-07-2008, 00:10
tater,

i too saw lots of gear-and used some, such as $80 river fording shoe/sandal deals that were worn a bit by a previous hiker--but to bank on getting your replacement footwear/water system/poles/headlamp/maps--making a plan around it-i guess thats not a style I'd recommend-but you know sometimes you're hiking and the powers that be supply _everything_ you actually need. everything takes care of itself-

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 00:13
i have guided groups on the at for years in maine and new hampshire, i have done all of maine and new hampshire in the dead of winter with very little money spent please don't question my experience ont the trail and what it costs to hike a long way in any conditions

Heater
01-07-2008, 00:13

75 bucks a week for a family of three is substinance. The bare essentials. Cmon man. You should probably stay home and keep providing for your family and then try to do more. Sounds like you really cannot afford this luxury at this time. Money you take from this hike is coming out of your children's mouth.

My opinion. :mad:

rafe
01-07-2008, 00:15
i have guided groups on the at for years in maine and new hampshire, i have done all of maine and new hampshire in the dead of winter with very little money spent please don't question my experience ont the trail and what it costs to hike a long way in any conditions

So if you know it all, why are you asking?

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2008, 00:16
My point is just that if you had to make do, you could make do. Some people even hike barefoot, but there was quite a selection of shoes in the pavilion in Port Clinton a couple of years ago. There were literally cases of ramen at the HQ in Harpers Ferry. I never bought a razor, just got them out of hiker boxes. Even got a chapstick. You can use a stick for a hiking pole. A friend got a pair of North Face shorts in good condition at Kincora. I picked up a baseball hat in a shelter when I needed one because of the deerflies, and it was brand new, no dirt or odor inside. I picked up pole tips along the trail as replacements. Five or six bandanas along the trail. I left a suitcase at Hiker Hostel; surely someone used it to get their stuff home by now.

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2008, 00:18

Oh geez if you don't want your experience questioned stay off the internet. Please. If you're a winter guide then you shouldn't be asking such rudimentary questions.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 00:20
my children are well taken care of and i wouldn't be doing it if they weren't

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2008, 00:21
my children are well taken care of and i wouldn't be doing it if they weren't

Ignore that naysayer, your children will be better off without you.

Matteroo
01-07-2008, 00:29
haha this is funny!
what kind of ego stroking you need snow surfer? If you've done winter guiding on the hardest part of the trail and feed 3-4 people on $75 a week-- what can i tell you that you don't already know?

i bet you can do it for free, average 50 miles a day, and other hikers will carry your gear for you. you da man! stroke stroke stroke!

River Runner
01-07-2008, 02:09
haha this is funny!
what kind of ego stroking you need snow surfer? If you've done winter guiding on the hardest part of the trail and feed 3-4 people on $75 a week-- what can i tell you that you don't already know?

i bet you can do it for free, average 50 miles a day, and other hikers will carry your gear for you. you da man! stroke stroke stroke!

Maybe he can hook up with the wild cowboy. They should be able to do it together in 30 days on less than $1500. :D

OregonHiker
01-07-2008, 02:16

Got any teenagers? Heck just one:D

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 02:31
Maybe he can hook up with the wild cowboy. They should be able to do it together in 30 days on less than $1500. :D
Or he can hangout with the Overweight Hikers on the other thread ... they barely touch their meals.:D

slow
01-07-2008, 02:36

That was funny.

W.C. will be to fast for him.

kayak karl
01-07-2008, 06:21
Got any teenagers? Heck just one:D

know how somethings just bring a song to mind:
Come 'n listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed

CoyoteWhips
01-07-2008, 08:30
know how somethings just bring a song to mind:
Come 'n listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed

Now you've made me wonder. Before that oil strike, did that one room cabin house Jed, Granny, Elly May and also cousin Jethro? That seems a little too damn cozy.

Or did Jethro join them just as they were moving to California?

Bet Granny could made the hike on $1500. Would have finished it with $1550, factoring in sales of tonic and medical services.

Jethro? Probably couldn't have made the hike with less than $15,000 and part of it would have been yellow blazing in a tank.

dessertrat
01-07-2008, 10:40

Yes. Without a doubt. If all you do is hike and camp, and buy mac and cheese, etc., when you stop for food.

Blissful
01-07-2008, 11:44
if there are no serious problems

Do you remember 4-7 months of your life that have not included any serious problems?

And walking 2,000 miles to boot...

I think one always needs a rainy day fund. Rain is inevitable.

jesse
01-07-2008, 11:52
Or did Jethro join them just as they were moving to California?

As a matter of fact, Jethro did not live with them before moving to Californee.
TV Land played the very first episode over the holidays. The truck belonged to Cousin Pearl, Jethro's mother.

bearbait2k4
01-07-2008, 12:04

No, it cannot be done on 1500 dollars alone, but can be with 1500 dollars and a tremendous amount of willpower - and also provided that you have most of the gear/replacement gear that you will need.

You'll have to go into towns at some point, whether it be for resupply, washing your clothing (necessity here - esp. socks), or family contact, and you will have the weird cravings that hikers get (ice cream, hamburgers, meat in general, fruit, etc).

It can certainly be done, though.

You should count on that money to make you self-sufficient, though, and not count on finding what you need in hiker boxes.

Mags
01-07-2008, 12:22
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=22959#post22959

Very difficult, do-able if you have the tenacity and realisitic expectations. The above link may help.

Another option is to wait a few moths, save some cash and go SoBo.

Good luck.

saimyoji
01-07-2008, 12:29
snowsurfer = wild cowboy ?? :rolleyes:

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 12:56
snowsurfer = wild cowboy ?? :rolleyes:
Man I can only hope! :D
:theme from Jaws playing in the background:

partinj
01-07-2008, 13:07
Go for their was guy who did on 1200 and he had to buy gear to so i would say he did for less then 1200. I plan on most all wood exp. myself only time i gone to town is to resupply might lose some folks that way but you alway meet new one on the way.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 16:18
my point exactly, this experience for me is to be a spiritual one with nature which hiking for me has always been. continuosly going in town and staying at hostels or hotels, eating at restaraunts takes away from the true reason why i will do this in the first place. meeting new poeple that have a common interest is one of the great experiences but that doesn't mean you travel with them the whole way or as far as they can. i think it is more rewarding to spend time hiking with many groups rather than a select few. i find it interesting that so many of you were so quick to say it can't be done, when upon placing the post i have learned from quite a few that it can. for you obviously it can't due to your need for candy, beer, ice cream, luxuries and so on but for poeple that do this to truly get away and resist temptation on superficial so called necessities like hotels and treats along the way to complete the hike, i thank you for letting me know there are still true die hard wilderness expeditioners out there.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 16:20
my point exactly, this experience for me is to be a spiritual one with nature which hiking for me has always been. continuosly going in town and staying at hostels or hotels, eating at restaraunts takes away from the true reason why i will do this in the first place. meeting new poeple that have a common interest is one of the great experiences but that doesn't mean you travel with them the whole way or as far as they can. i think it is more rewarding to spend time hiking with many groups rather than a select few. i find it interesting that so many of you were so quick to say it can't be done, when upon placing the post i have learned from quite a few that it can. for you obviously it can't due to your need for candy, beer, ice cream, luxuries and so on but for poeple that do this to truly get away and resist temptation on superficial so called necessities like hotels and treats along the way to complete the hike, i thank you for letting me know there are still true die hard wilderness expeditioners out there.

have you ever done any long distance backpacking?

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 16:29
i have done two three month semesters with outward bound. one hiking across joshua tree about ten to fifteen miles a day with a 60 lb pack in temps about 80 to 90 degrees. the other in canyonland national park canyoneering with about the same weight. i hiked from the mass. n.h. border to baxter state park leading a group of four teaching winter survival skills along the way in february. that task i did with a fellow who has through hiked the at and said the few hundred miles we did in the winter was far more mentally and physically changing. i know my limits and capabilities i was just getting some thoughts on my question

JAK
01-07-2008, 16:36
A better question would be how long you can go in your regular daily life without buying a coffee or fast food or eating at a restraunt. If you can go 3 months then you have a shot at doing the AT on $1500, if you hurry. Don't let L.Wolf stop you. His real intent is to inspire you. ;)

I had a bet with another fellow to see who could go the longest without junk food. I think we both lost. You wanna give it a shot?

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 16:40
that will be easy for me than since i don't eat junk food or drink coffee. i try not to do the things that aren't good for me physically. i get no joy out of a quick sugar rush or coffee high. notice my name is siddhartha, do any of you know who siddhartha was

SC Ryan
01-07-2008, 16:45
notice my name is siddhartha, do any of you know who siddhartha was

:rolleyes:

JAK
01-07-2008, 16:46
OK. Let's up the ante a little. No junk food. No coffee or tea unless you make it yourself. What about healthy meals at restaurants? You decide. Not sure who Siddhartha was. Perhaps it would be better for you to show me who he is. ;)

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 16:47
and I'm the freakin Easter Bunny! What type of mileages are you proposing for your trek?

JAK
01-07-2008, 16:55
I think the high mileage would be easier without the towns.
The hard part is doing a resupply in town without living it up a little.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 16:57
on my three month treks with outward bound we did not need restaraunt food, why are you poeple so convinced it is a necessity to eat lavished meals. for three months we hiked ten to fifteen miles a day on rice, oatmeal, peanuts, and gorp in the desert. i plan on hiking just as efficiently now as i did then. just because you could not go without this stuff for whatever your reason does not make your character the same as mine. by the way siddhartha guatama was the original budha

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 17:04
my advice to you people that think you need restaraunts and junk food on a thru-hike, don't ever try an outward bound program, you couldn't handle it

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 17:05
my advice to you people that think you need restaraunts and junk food on a thru-hike, don't ever try an outward bound program, you couldn't handle it

i did outward bound 23 years ago. it sucked. the scenery was great though

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 17:07
I think the dude's name was Buddha. Budha is someone on the fringe. I'm assuming you dont eat meat? That's impressive to do those miles on nutz alone.

Johnny Thunder
01-07-2008, 17:08
do any of you know who siddhartha was

You mean Chris Isak's kid?

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 17:13
sorry for the mispelling, typing to fast. meat gives you protein, so does peanuts and many other things. i take along some jerky and tuna. i never said i was a vegetarian.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 17:14
what o.b. program did you do and why did it suck if you don't mind me asking

Marta
01-07-2008, 17:15

When I did Outward Bound many years ago (1970ish), we mostly ate Space Food Sticks. But when I did the AT in '06, I ate lots of restaurant food. (Pizza! Beer! Ice cream!) Different times, different circumstances.

The thing about deprivation on the AT is that it's voluntary. Lots of people think they will want to/be able to do it. Very few actually do. That's the key--the temptation is there, and you have to resist day after day, month after month. It sounds as if you have the experience to give it a decent shot. Then it comes down to a matter of willpower.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 17:16
what o.b. program did you do and why did it suck if you don't mind me asking

backpacking/mountaineering in colorado. too much group dynamic BS.

A-Train
01-07-2008, 17:17

No disrespect, but if you know everything already great wise one, well, what are you wasting your time here for? Just go do it.
You asked people for their opinions and they gave it. You didn't like what they had to say and then criticized people's way of enjoying their journey.

Go out there. Don't eat in a restaurant for 5 months. Stick to the bulk nuts and oatmeal your gonna send yourself, don't deviate. I just hope your not stuck sitting around for your maildrop while all the other hikers are next door, chowing down on their burgers:)

I'm sure Outward Bound taught you a lot of valuable things, but it still differs greatly from an AT hike I'd imagine. Tell us about your sucesses when you return

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 17:22
i am not doing mail drops. except for a couple, enjoy your burgers if that is what makes you feel like you can go on by all means.

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2008, 17:23
I think you will be better off buying oatmeal as you go along rather than paying postage for it. It is fairly inexpensive unless you buy those little instant packets, which are disgusting in texture anyway.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 17:28
L. WOLF i understand, not enough freedom on o.b. they are two totaLLY DIFFERENT adventures each in there own way very rewarding. and A-train i noticed you did the long trail, i have done it back and fourth many times. after my trip i am starting an adventure program for troubled teens in jay vt. one of my favorite states

mudhead
01-07-2008, 17:32
Bet Granny could made the hike on $1500. Would have finished it with $1550, factoring in sales of tonic and medical services.

Jethro? Probably couldn't have made the hike with less than $15,000 and part of it would have been yellow blazing in a tank.

Granny as a young woman would have had her choice of sherpa.

Jethro would still be in FL, lost and trying to get rich.

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 17:35
Granny as a young woman would have had her choice of sherpa.

Jethro would still be in FL, lost and trying to get rich.
Buddha dont need no sherpas :mad: !

jesse
01-07-2008, 17:35
Why all the hostility. What Snowsurfer plans to do seems reasonable. There is no comparision between his plan and wild cowboy. A $1500 thru hike is possible a 30 day non support thru hike is not.
Good luck Snowsurfer.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 17:40
thanx jessebrent i appreciate. i was not trying to criticize or offend just didn't expect all the negative responses to my question. people should not come outand say it can't be done when it clearly from this website has been proven to be done.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 17:41
L. WOLF i understand, not enough freedom on o.b. they are two totaLLY DIFFERENT adventures each in there own way very rewarding. and A-train i noticed you did the long trail, i have done it back and fourth many times. after my trip i am starting an adventure program for troubled teens in jay vt. one of my favorite states

i lived in jay for 10 winters

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 17:46
i know this will be a challange. but it is something i feel like i must do. if i had more $$ to have i would, i am not an idiot. i have all the gear i need, even back up gear that i know i may blow through. thanks to all the people that understood my question and answered positively. to those who answered negatively, you obviously did not no the answer to the question since it can be done so therefore don't reply

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 17:47
are you a snowboarder or skier l. wolf because in jay it does not get better in the east

rafe
01-07-2008, 17:49
thanx jessebrent i appreciate. i was not trying to criticize or offend just didn't expect all the negative responses to my question. people should not come outand say it can't be done when it clearly from this website has been proven to be done.

The question remains: if you're so sure that it can be done, why start a thread posing that as a question?

The consensus is, yes it can be done, but it will take a great deal of self-discipline. Most thru-hikers, given a choice, are well-advised to budget at least twice your $1500 amount.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 17:49
are you a snowboarder or skier l. wolf because in jay it does not get better in the east

i skiied a little. i was a snowmaker there. once again jay is having an awesome winter. over 200" of snow already

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 17:50
The question remains: if you're so sure that it can be done, why start a thread posing that as a question?

The consensus is, yes it can be done, but it will take a great deal of self-discipline. Most thru-hikers, given a choice, are well-advised to budget at least twice your $1500 amount.

i bet he could do it on $1000

jesse
01-07-2008, 17:56
Terrapin,

The question remains: if you're so sure that it can be done, why start a thread posing that as a question?No. The question is Why all the snotty responses? Its quite legitimate to ask the question. To get feedback, other viewpoints, etc.

The last part of your post gives useful information.

The first part is just plain rude.

A-Train
01-07-2008, 18:00
Have you thought this out much? Resupplying on the fly is my recommended way to travel on the AT (and most others) but it can often mean high prices which may affect your budget. Also some small towns don't have great selection. If you're truly trying to save money you're probably gonna benefit from doing some longer carries/resupplies than many folks customarily do on the AT. I would stock up at the big bulk supermarkets and try to avoid the small town markets.

If you've done the LT several times you'll probably be pretty prepared for the AT. The LT features terrain as difficult or harder than the most challenging on the AT. One is just a lot loner of a walk than the other.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 18:00
terrapin if you were following along, i was trying to get advice from people that have for that little and how many, before i started the thread i only knew personally of one person. know that i know there are others i have the information i need. and clearly you haven't been following along because i have explained how my motivation and goals are far different than most through hikers.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 18:04
you are correct a-train. i will be resupplying on the fly and my resupply stops will be stretched out further than normal. 7-12 days apart in some cases but not many. mostly in the easier stretches that don't gain or drop a whole lot in elevation.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 18:06
the l.t. is kind of tough, not really. now the stretch from gorham n.h. through the mahoosuc notch and up the arm to old speck and then on to the bigelows, thats tough

rafe
01-07-2008, 18:08
terrapin if you were following along, i was trying to get advice from people that have for that little and how many, before i started the thread i only knew personally of one person. know that i know there are others i have the information i need. and clearly you haven't been following along because i have explained how my motivation and goals are far different than most through hikers.

Fine, now your thread makes a bit more sense. In your openening post, you asked,
can it be done for 1500 dollarsYou might have saved yourself some of that "unwarranted criticism" by saying, at the outset, what you said just now (in Msg. #72.)

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 18:13
If I follow what you are saying - that you are planning on doing this as a quest for self-enlightenment/pilgrimage - then you are definitely on a different mind set than the average. In noting that you have previous long distance hiking experience ... I've only heard of one other guy within the last 2 years that had a similar motivation.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 18:16
my opening did state though no restaraunt visit and hotel stays. sorry i just figured that only people that did it for as little or knew someone who did would reply. after all i asked if it could, not if it was impossible which many tried to convince me of

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 18:18
if there are any people that wish to share in this type of adventure with me and truly test they're will power and determination a little further let me know

rafe
01-07-2008, 18:18
The question is Why all the snotty responses?

Snotty? No more so than the OP himself.

The OP didn't state his question clearly, and came across as someone who simply wanted validation for a pre-existing conclusion.

Had the OP stated his question properly, I'd have never posted to the thread at all, and he might have been spared some of the "snotty responses."

I note that I'm not the only person to see it that way. 'Nuff said, I'm done with this thread.

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 18:21
terrapin you are from bedford ma. i am from newburyport ma. we are both snotty

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 18:25
buncha snotty massholes :cool:

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 18:25
Come on terrapin ... there's nothing else interesting on the other threads. They got the gun toters planning a arms race in one thread ... they got the Overweight hikers having a pot luck and they've got a spreadsheet on resupply thread. Nothing but this one for lively conversation. Lighten up folks.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 18:27
Come on terrapin ... there's nothing else interesting on the other threads. They got the gun toters planning a arms race in one thread ... they got the Overweight hikers having a pot luck and they've got a spreadsheet on resupply thread. Nothing but this one for lively conversation. Lighten up folks.

and me cross-dressing in a tutu

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 18:29
you sound like a really old soul l. wolf. i am not a masshole by heart, can't blame where i was born but i left and will never go back

Sly
01-07-2008, 18:31
buncha snotty massholes :cool:

LOL... I'm sure if they could come up with a term for Rhode Islanders, they would. A bunch of gangsters is all they are. ;)

snowsurfer
01-07-2008, 18:32
gotta go for mountain bike ride talk to ya later all

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 18:32
you sound like a really old soul l. wolf.

nope. just an ***hole that was born and raised in R.I.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 18:33
LOL... I'm sure if they could come up with a term for Rhode Islanders, they would. A bunch of gangsters is all they are. ;)

Little Rhodies. Mags is the Italian though. He may know something about gangsters.

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 18:36
and me cross-dressing in a tutu
There is the circle of life working here ... you spent 10 winters in the area to where snowsurfer is planning on couseling troubled teens. Is it remotely possible ...:rolleyes: ? I'm assuming if any of them appear with a full beard at 12 or 13 - they'll know who to contact.

rafe
01-07-2008, 18:38

I have absolutely nothing to say about thru-hiking or section-hiking on the cheap. Heck, between the airfare, hotel, dinner, shuttle, change-of-clothes at Macy's (etc.) I spent $800 the day I ended this summer's section hike. :D

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 18:40
I have absolutely nothing to say about thru-hiking or section-hiking on the cheap. Heck, between the airfare, hotel, dinner, shuttle, change-of-clothes at Macy's (etc.) I spent $800 the day I ended this summer's section hike. :D

I spent $600 in 3 days in Gatlinburg once.

Mags
01-07-2008, 18:44
Little Rhodies. Mags is the Italian though. He may know something about gangsters.

Buddy Cianci.

'Nuff said.

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Providence-Cianci-Americas-Notorious/dp/0375759670/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199745842&sr=8-1

Lone Wolf
01-07-2008, 18:46
Buddy Cianci.

'Nuff said.

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Providence-Cianci-Americas-Notorious/dp/0375759670/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199745842&sr=8-1

any Patriaca's left?

slow
01-07-2008, 18:48
I spent $600 in 3 days in Gatlinburg once.

God what a cheap date.:D

Mags
01-07-2008, 18:57
any Patriaca's left?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarca_crime_family

My grandfather's youngest brother was a part-time bookie apparently.

Pop (my grandfather) did not approve. And in true mammoni fashion, he lived with my great-grandmother until his early death (in a basement apartment IIRC). He was a bit of the blacksheep in the family. Apparently he was not a very good part time bookie...

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2008, 19:07
Snowsurfer:

Ignore the naysayers. There are all sorts of ways to hike the A.T. Assuming you know what you're doing, stay healthy, and have the discipline to limit your town time to the bare-bones minimum (i.e. get in, get what you need from town, and immediately get out), then of course one can hike on $1500.00. Not many folks do this; not many want to; not many can do so and really enjoy themselves for 22-26 weeks, but that's not what you asked. The question was whether or not it could realistically be done. The answer, assuming you're willing to have a very different Trail experience than almost everyone else out there, is yes, of course it can be done. Good luck to you.

Marta
01-07-2008, 19:26
If you're truly trying to save money you're probably gonna benefit from doing some longer carries/resupplies than many folks customarily do on the AT. I would stock up at the big bulk supermarkets and try to avoid the small town markets.

Very good point. The young fellow I hiked with for a couple of months was concerned about running out of money before finishing his hike. He bought food in bulk before the hike, at Sam's Club and the like, and mailed it to himself at very widely spaced intervals, about every three weeks. The savings of bulk buying at Sam's and whatnot more than offset the cost of postage, which is not the case if you mail yourself something every three or four days.

Needless to say, he was carrying a very heavy pack, especially when he first left the P.O. His plan was that, if he didn't have a dime left to his name, he could have finished his hike with just the food in the mail drops. However, he did make his money last, so was able to supplement the mail drop food with stuff he bought along the way.

He used an MSR white gas stove and also didn't have to buy fuel very often. I think he only refilled his fuel bottle twice during the whole trip.

He was a very sturdy fellow, very tough, and very determined. His tactics would break anyone who is weaker either physically or mentally. (Forget about trying to get me to carry three weeks' worth of food--I considered it a hardship to have to carry more than three days' worth.:rolleyes: )

Mags
01-07-2008, 19:32
Another option is to wait a few months, save up some money and go SoBo. A few hundred dollars may just be enough cushion for you.

Just something to think about.

CoyoteWhips
01-07-2008, 21:58
do any of you know who siddhartha was

Zen Master Lin Chi: "If you meet snowsurfer on the AT, kill snowsurfer."

doggiebag
01-07-2008, 22:08
Zen Master Lin Chi: "If you meet snowsurfer on the AT, kill snowsurfer."
snowsurfer why so cheap
does tread on boots still grab deep
corn is found before sleep

-classical Haiku :D

OregonHiker
01-07-2008, 23:10
nope. just an ***hole that was born and raised in R.I.

Which town/city?

Colter
01-07-2008, 23:15
Why all the hostility. What Snowsurfer plans to do seems reasonable. There is no comparision between his plan and wild cowboy. A $1500 thru hike is possible a 30 day non support thru hike is not.
Good luck Snowsurfer.

I agree. Not only doable but it has been done. All it takes is the right person with the right attitude.

OregonHiker
01-07-2008, 23:27

About 15 years ago I was working near Saugus, MA. I believe it was route 1 or 1a. At lunch we were heading to Papa Ginos. Missed the exit and took the next one to turn around and go back, There was a 2nd PG's at this exit. Real close to the first one. Back at the first one, the mob tried to rub out Frank "Caddilac Frank " Salleme. I would have been an eye witness :mad:

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 01:07
coyote whips, you seem pretty upset anyone couyld possibly want or have the will power to do what i will do. just because you don't have the inner strength to accomplish what i will doesn't mean you should get all crazy over it. kill me c'mon, with that attitude i am surprised anybody wants to be your friend *******

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 01:11
coyote i see your also a masshole, go eat some more of your test biscuits chubby

rafe
01-08-2008, 01:15
coyote whips, you seem pretty upset anyone couyld possibly want or have the will power to do what i will do. just because you don't have the inner strength to accomplish what i will doesn't mean you should get all crazy over it. kill me c'mon, with that attitude i am surprised anybody wants to be your friend *******

You're no Siddhartha. You're just a big bucket of hubris. How about you try to achieve your goal before you go bragging about it. :rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
01-08-2008, 01:16
You're no Siddhartha. You're just a big bucket of hubris. How about you try to achieve your goal before you go bragging about it. :rolleyes:
Africkinmen!!!!

warraghiyagey
01-08-2008, 01:17
What is it the last couple days with folks coming to WB seemingly just to find people to hate?????:-? :confused: :(

OregonHiker
01-08-2008, 01:17
coyote i see your also a masshole, go eat some more of your test biscuits chubby

I don't know what CW's posts mesn, but from what others of his that I have read I don't think he bears any malice:-?

A-Train
01-08-2008, 02:24
What is it the last couple days with folks coming to WB seemingly just to find people to hate?????:-? :confused: :(

It's because there are a few threads on trailforums which mention much controversy over here at WB about censored threads regarding Meredith's dissapearance. I believe this probably caught a lot of peoples attention, those who decided to come over and stir the pot. Just a guess.

warraghiyagey
01-08-2008, 02:27
It's because there are a few threads on trailforums which mention much controversy over here at WB about censored threads regarding Meredith's dissapearance. I believe this probably caught a lot of peoples attention, those who decided to come over and stir the pot. Just a guess.
Thanks AT. Makes sense. Probably by tomorrow they'll be looking for other carpets to piss on.

mudhead
01-08-2008, 07:30

Be nice.

CoyoteWhips
01-08-2008, 09:23
I don't know what CW's posts mesn, but from what others of his that I have read I don't think he bears any malice:-?

It's Buddhist humor. If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. (http://www.kwanumzen.com/pzc/newsletter/v09n10-1997-oct.html) It means, ask the question if you must, but find out for yourself; basically Hike Your Own Hike.

If snowsurfer sees malice in my post, I expect the source is inside him.

JAK
01-08-2008, 10:53
you are correct a-train. i will be resupplying on the fly and my resupply stops will be stretched out further than normal. 7-12 days apart in some cases but not many. mostly in the easier stretches that don't gain or drop a whole lot in elevation.I wasn't trying to discourage you. I was really suggesting that if you want to do the AT on $1500 then you might want to start living that way now. How much do you spend on food and entertainment now? How long do you go in your current lifestyle between restaraunts? I'm only asking because I used to be extremely frugal myself in my younger years, and rather miss it in many ways.

Tobit
01-08-2008, 10:57
Ryan Jordan could do it for $500 and a 14 lb. pack. :lol:

dessertrat
01-08-2008, 10:59

From the grammar, syntax, spelling, and attitude, I am thinking it's Wild Cowboy reborn.

Don't feed the troll!

JAK
01-08-2008, 11:01
From the grammar, syntax, spelling, and attitude, I am thinking it's Wild Cowboy reborn.

Don't feed the troll!I thought we were the trolls. :)

Johnny Thunder
01-08-2008, 11:37
I am the Walrus

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 12:41
i have already proven to myself by doing adventures of this magnitude that mentally and physically it will be with out a doubt no problem for me. i am not bragging i just know exactly what i am capable of. i am truly sorry that you feel threatened by my power, maybe one day you to can have the strength that i have

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 12:45
oh, and coyote i know exactly what "if you meet the buddha, kill the buddha means. just trying to get a rise out of you. don't question my beliefs, when i asked who siddhartha was you didn't even know. you should all take a look back at yourselves and these posts and realize you all threw the first negative jab

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 12:49
some of you people disgust me thinking because you did a thru-hike you know all and can give crappy incorrect meaningful advice. you should keep to yourselves and quit misleading people with your lack of knowlege. that should get a stir. your true judgement will come with how you respond

rafe
01-08-2008, 12:51
some of you people disgust me thinking because you did a thru-hike you know all and can give crappy incorrect meaningful advice. you should keep to yourselves and quit misleading people with your lack of knowlege. that should get a stir. your true judgement will come with how you respond

If you have such a low opinion of us, why are you asking for our advice and comments? You're a joke. Go away, troll.

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 12:53
obviously i wasn't looking for your opinion terrapin, i was looking for the opinions of people with a little more factual knowlege. you created my opinion of you, you and you alone.

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 12:58
i asked a simple question and got a whole bunch of hooplah of why it could not be done when in fact i got the real answers by other people on this very site that actually knew what they were talking about. don't hate me because i responded negatively to insults from the start. if did not know the answer you should have not pretended you did.

JAK
01-08-2008, 13:00
Please let me be your friend.

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 13:04
sure jak the more friends i have, the more enlightened i feel. new brunswick is one of the most beautiful places in canada, hope to get there again someday.

JAK
01-08-2008, 13:04
Perhaps we can do the AT together.
Do you have an extra pair of lederhosen?

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 13:12
in 2009 i plan to attempt a double thru-hike nobo to sobo to train for the intercontinental trail when it is complete. if any people are seriosly interested in this true test of guts and gusto let me know. i don't know if anybody has ever done this also let me know if i would be the first. remember this is back to back 4200 miles straight. oh, and i also plan on doing it for about 1700 dollars. giggle, giggle

JAK
01-08-2008, 13:17
Buddy you're a boy make a big noise
Playing in the street gonna be a big man some day
You got mud on your face
You big disgrace
Kicking your can all over the place
Singing

We will, we will, rock you
We will, we will, rock you, come on

????? believed he created God and Brachma. The Buddha rejected Brahmism and mocked at its rituals. As for Brachma, the Buddha didn't deny his existance, but regarded him as a deluded spirit, who imagined he had created the universe

A-Train
01-08-2008, 13:24
oh, and coyote i know exactly what "if you meet the buddha, kill the buddha means. just trying to get a rise out of you. don't question my beliefs, when i asked who siddhartha was you didn't even know. you should all take a look back at yourselves and these posts and realize you all threw the first negative jab

Ok, i was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt the first time, but now you're clearly here to stir the pot and continue the attention on you. Go back and read the original posts. Almost everyone (myself included) said this was very doable, so don't get all pissy cause one or two people said it was unlikely.

I don't think you're posts will be warranting much response here in the future unless you learn to play civil and genuinely learn, not just boast your accomplishments and put valued members of this community down

Marta
01-08-2008, 13:37
There's an old saying:

"It ain't braggin' if you done it."

However, until you've done it, you're just a legend in your own mind.

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 13:50
a-train i have only talked about my accomplishments because people asked and questioned my experiance on the matter. telling them my experience is what abled others to tell me with my motivation and reason for doing it like this that it is possible. maybe you should read the past posts. this time with your eyes open. and again the negativity started with others not me. i got the answer i wanted two days ago. the only reason this is still an issue is the cocky responses by others wich yes has caused me to respond and reiterate

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 13:54
marta, i fully respect someone like you who has thru-hiked at your age. that is remarkable. i am not bragging because i have accomplished adventures equally and more demanding than this. contrary to what you may believe, the A.T. isn't the hardest thing out there.

A-Train
01-08-2008, 13:56
marta, i fully respect someone like you who has thru-hiked at your age. that is remarkable. i am not bragging because i have accomplished adventures equally and more demanding than this. contrary to what you may believe, the A.T. isn't the hardest thing out there.

Aaaaand I rest my case:)

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 14:01
you don't have a case a-train, sorry

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 14:04
i will quit responding to some of your rediculous comments.i have enough people contacting me by private message that have thru-hiked that are interested in my goals and ideas. maybe someday i will see you on trail. i won't have any hard feelings and will look behind me to wave goodbye.

Pirate
01-08-2008, 14:07

I agree full with you!!!! Cyber hikers stay home. Keep your advise to yourself.

Marta
01-08-2008, 14:08
Aaaaand I rest my case:)

Thanks. ;)

Snowsurfer/Grasshopper, no one said anything remotely like "the AT is the hardest thing out there." I certainly did not. What I will say is that it is quite a long trail and will be difficult in ways you probably won't expect. Maybe approaching it with arrogance and bragadoccio will work for you. I'd recommend humility and respect.

I hope it works out for you.

BTW, I think what you're talking about (double thru-hike NOBO to SOBO)is a yo-yo hike, and yeah, other people have done it already.

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 14:11
a-train there is nothing on the at that i haven't seen or gotten through already. by the way hows your yankees. you know i'm from the boston area right. go sox

Mags
01-08-2008, 14:12
i if any people are seriosly interested in this true test of guts and gusto let me know.

GUTS and GUSTO?

Keeping with my Italo-American roots (and being from RI), let me discuss trippa. Guts AND cooked with gusto. Great-grandma made it for me once. Never had it since..

It was probably like this :http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107811

But she was from just south of Naples, not Rome...

I am wimp myself. I like my cocoa w/ brandy...

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 14:15
and did you come up with that word bragadochio, good one yaaaah bub. and one should never confuse arrogance with confidence. but your too young to understand that aren't you. i thought you were going to stay away. why do you keep coming back, your having fun aren't you.

BigStu
01-08-2008, 14:20
and did you come up with that word bragadochio, good one .

Check out this link http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/braggadocio

Not sure what it would score in Scrabble but it's a good one :)

A-Train
01-08-2008, 14:22
a-train there is nothing on the at that i haven't seen or gotten through already. by the way hows your yankees. you know i'm from the boston area right. go sox

If that's the case, why are you hiking the trail? You seem to know everything already and in the process enjoy putting other folks down who've been respectful and tried to legitimately answer your questions. Whether you think the AT is difficult or not is not the question. If I was to consult people who had done something I hadn't and wanted to do, I'd listen to them, thank them for their insight and move on. Not continue to bash anyone I could possibly pick a fight with.

I can't believe I'm feeding the troll. Go do your hike, you know all there is to know, and you've already experienced. You don't need us. We're just all cyberhikers who haven't walked the walk.

And I'm not a yankee fan, I actually dispise them. But thanks for the reach and cheap shot attempt. Very mature.

Marta
01-08-2008, 14:25
Check out this link http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/braggadocio

Not sure what it would score in Scrabble but it's a good one :)

Dang! I knew I should have looked up the spelling.

It's great word, though, isn't it?

Mags
01-08-2008, 14:26
and did you come up with that word bragadochio,

I like braciole myself.. (brah-zhol in dialect) mmmmm....

Make it with a thick gravy, add some schrole and beans soup with some thick, crusty bread. Yum. Yum.

I am making a big dinner this Friday. In homage to my Rhody roots, I am making a French-Candian meat pie. (Perhaps JAK has had this dish at some point?) There is a large French-Canadian population in Rhody.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1918,158187-243194,00.html

GREAT winter dish..add some garlic mashed potatoes on the side. Yummers!

OK..enough about food.

Seriously..work a little longer, save money, do a SoBo hike.

BigStu
01-08-2008, 14:27
Dang! I knew I should have looked up the spelling.

It's great word, though, isn't it?

I think that you hit the nail on the head with that one Marta ;)

Tobit
01-08-2008, 14:38
This troll fest thread needs to be locked, it wore out any usefullness a long time ago (was it ever useful?). ***?

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 14:41
once again, this time to you mags. i am doing it this way for a reason. i don't need to save extra money. if you can't understand, don't try. it is not within your grasp. "people fear what they don't understasnd."wow some of you are stupid

BigStu
01-08-2008, 14:41
Not just yet... am busy savouring the mental images and olfactory hallucinations about Mags' braciole <drools onto keyboard>

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 14:43
tobias, you on the west side or east side of manchester? i lived on sullivan st. for two years.

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 14:45
look at the ripple i started. you just can't stay away. your self will is proven, now i will show you mine. so long

Marta
01-08-2008, 14:46
Train wrecks are so fascinating sometimes.

BigStu
01-08-2008, 14:49
look at the ripple i started. you just can't stay away. your self will is proven, now i will show you mine. so long

Just out of curiosity, is this what happens when one hikes for too long in strong sunlight without a hat ? :-?

Blissful
01-08-2008, 14:50
What I will say is that it is quite a long trail and will be difficult in ways you probably won't expect. Maybe approaching it with arrogance and bragadoccio will work for you. I'd recommend humility and respect.

You took the words right off my keyboard, Marta.

Tobit
01-08-2008, 14:52
tobias, you on the west side or east side of manchester? i lived on sullivan st. for two years.
East, Hanover Street. Most parts of Sullivan St. have turned into a hispanic ghetto over the years. Depressing.

JAK
01-08-2008, 14:57
Here is a great word:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

Mags
01-08-2008, 15:04
"people fear what they don't understasnd."

Like spelling and grammar perhaps? :D I fear fairs that involve Faeries myself. Scary..scary..very scary. (The tights and glitter I imagine)

Just simple advice my friend. Take it,or leave it. Remember, I wished you good luck. And gave you some kick ass recipes. ;)

BigStu: It is a family pride thing to be kick-ass cooks. My brother and I (and our Dad) are all males who can cook. I may not be model handsome, my clothes are a bit too hiker-esque at times and I'm not that smart..but damn if I can't make a good five course dinner. :D

Marta
01-08-2008, 15:09
Here is a great word:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

I actually knew that one already. My daughter went to Finland last summer to study Finnish. The concept of "sisu" came up early and often. They say it's the characteristic that allowed them to hold off much larger armies. To the non-Finn, the closest English translation is something like mule-ish-ness.

Mags
01-08-2008, 15:16
To the non-Finn, the closest English translation is something like mule-ish-ness.

Keeping with the theme of this thread for me, I think a better word might be chooch. ;) (again from a dialect word ciuccio"..)

Ive been called a big chooch by friends and family. It can be a loveable phrase...

Marta
01-08-2008, 15:19
Keeping with the theme of this thread for me, I think a better word might be chooch. ;) (again from a dialect word that I forget how to spell..)

Ive been called a big chooch by friends and family. It can be a loveable phrase...

I'll try that one on my youngest son tonight when he gets fractious.;)

Mags
01-08-2008, 15:23
I'll try that one on my youngest son tonight when he gets fractious.;)

If you nail the Catholic Mom (lottsa guilt) while saying "Wotta big chooch! Your brother would never do that!"..it is very effective.

I miss those words. You don't hear them in Colorado....

CoyoteWhips
01-08-2008, 15:30
I actually knew that one already. My daughter went to Finland last summer to study Finnish. The concept of "sisu" came up early and often. They say it's the characteristic that allowed them to hold off much larger armies. To the non-Finn, the closest English translation is something like mule-ish-ness.

Finnish immigrants built the mills here in Fitchburg.

"Sometimes the job takes a really big hammer. If you don't have a really big hammer handy, make one."

snowsurfer
01-08-2008, 15:54
To all the members who have followed this thread I apologize if I have offended any of you with my responses, it was not my intention to make enemies. I realize most of you think I should save a more money before I venture out on this arduous journey. I don't mean to knock any of the ways that you all completed yours and respect fully the fact that anybody can hike 2100 miles. As we all know it is a task most cannot accomplish. For some doing it requires time off and luxurios amenities along the way but not for others. I am one of those unique people that have always gone in to the wilderness to get away from are twisted society that this country offers us, and when I go in I only come out for the bare necessities, not to dabble in "normal life" for awhile. Every adventure I have created has helped me with my life and the way I do it pushes my self control and will to it's fullest. For me I don't wan't to make this trip easier by eating in restaraunts and staying in hotels, I want to make it more difficult by giving up those things. It is a journey into myself to remind me once again that if I put my mind to it I can accomplish anything. Who can doubt the nobility in that. Yes I basically stated that I will accomplish this and thast may seem bold and arrogant to some of you, but barring any broken bones or sickness I know from other experiences I am mentally capable and physically fit to do so. given that hiking the A.T. is one thing, but hiking it fast and without the "special" stuff makes it makes it harder. For me it is not a matter of whether I can do it or not it is a matter whether I can do it in this fashion which I am fully confident I can. I do appreciate all of your advice and sorry I stated otherwise. It isn't fun when you have planned something for along time and know from previous experiences that you are capable of accomplishing anything and people tell you otherwise with some imformation that doesn't apply to myself but to them and others like them. There are many different walks of life out there and thats why many take this journey. I hope to meat all of you someday and am sure under different circumstanses you will see I am a very positive soul and fun to be around.

Montego
01-08-2008, 15:57
To all the members who have followed this thread I apologize if I have offended any of you with my responses, it was not my intention to make enemies. I realize most of you think I should save a more money before I venture out on this arduous journey. I don't mean to knock any of the ways that you all completed yours and respect fully the fact that anybody can hike 2100 miles. As we all know it is a task most cannot accomplish. For some doing it requires time off and luxurios amenities along the way but not for others. I am one of those unique people that have always gone in to the wilderness to get away from are twisted society that this country offers us, and when I go in I only come out for the bare necessities, not to dabble in "normal life" for awhile. Every adventure I have created has helped me with my life and the way I do it pushes my self control and will to it's fullest. For me I don't wan't to make this trip easier by eating in restaraunts and staying in hotels, I want to make it more difficult by giving up those things. It is a journey into myself to remind me once again that if I put my mind to it I can accomplish anything. Who can doubt the nobility in that. Yes I basically stated that I will accomplish this and thast may seem bold and arrogant to some of you, but barring any broken bones or sickness I know from other experiences I am mentally capable and physically fit to do so. given that hiking the A.T. is one thing, but hiking it fast and without the "special" stuff makes it makes it harder. For me it is not a matter of whether I can do it or not it is a matter whether I can do it in this fashion which I am fully confident I can. I do appreciate all of your advice and sorry I stated otherwise. It isn't fun when you have planned something for along time and know from previous experiences that you are capable of accomplishing anything and people tell you otherwise with some imformation that doesn't apply to myself but to them and others like them. There are many different walks of life out there and thats why many take this journey. I hope to meat all of you someday and am sure under different circumstanses you will see I am a very positive soul and fun to be around.

Well said :)

Marta
01-08-2008, 16:02

Well said, and good luck with your journey!

PS--People insult my hiking ability all the time with well-meant, but condescending advice. I just laugh. It just makes success all the sweeter.

jesse
01-08-2008, 16:05
SS,
Your earlier post, and your last post indicate that you are a pretty decent guy. I thoght earlier that people were being fair to you, however, you have been quite rude, and insulting yourself.
BTW, I hope to meat you someday, and I hope it is the kinder gentler snow surfer.

JAK
01-08-2008, 16:12
I think having the 'special stuff' so handy makes it even harder if you have the discipline to pass it by. The trail does not have to include the trail towns, or even the shelters. The trail does not even have to include the trail itself. I am not suggesting you go off trail. I am only suggesting it is the passage through that part of nature which is the real trail, and the trail which many good people have built and maintained and travelled before us is just the physical means to pass through that hallowed space and all the world around it.

slow
01-08-2008, 20:44
GUTS and GUSTO?

Keeping with my Italo-American roots (and being from RI), let me discuss trippa. Guts AND cooked with gusto. Great-grandma made it for me once. Never had it since..

It was probably like this :http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107811

But she was from just south of Naples, not Rome...

I am wimp myself. I like my cocoa w/ brandy...

And you said you could cook?:)

slow
01-08-2008, 21:00
once again, this time to you mags. i am doing it this way for a reason. i don't need to save extra money. if you can't understand, don't try. it is not within your grasp. "people fear what they don't understasnd."wow some of you are stupid

It seem's MAG'S likes to COOK,CHOW,HIKE.....and i think he look's at you as a little snack....that he cares not to eat up?:D