PDA

View Full Version : Women's internal backpack suggestions

movie432
12-23-2003, 21:38
I am looking for an internal backpack for my girlfriend to take out on 3-4 day backpacking trips. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a lot to spend on it, so if you can incorporate lower priced items into the suggestions, that would be tremendous! Thanks.

Lumberjack
12-24-2003, 07:46
Osprey makes decent packs and has ones for women.

Bunchberry
12-24-2003, 10:43
Osprey makes decent packs and has ones for women.

Osprey packs are very well made and high quality, but they're not cheap. I might suggest the REI Rising Star, which is usually $110 and is currently on sale for around $80. It's 3200 cubic inches and weighs under 4 pounds (3 lb 8 oz according to REI's website).

This is not a female-specific pack, but I borrowed a friend's for a four-day solo recently and was very happy. It's sturdy and well-designed, reasonably light-weight, and has a good balance between bells and whistles and weight savings. I was carrying 25-30 pounds and was very comfortable. My only quibble is that the hip belt is stiffer than it needs to be - REI could definitely have saved some ounces by trimming it down a bit. But you can't beat the price.

YMMV. I am not particularly "hippy," and I tend to have better luck with men's/unisex packs than some of my female friends.

Good luck and happy hiking!

Bunchberry

Frog
01-01-2004, 08:16
My sister in law has looked for a pack that fit a woman for years and finally found one that she really liked and like the others it was an Osprey made espesially for women. Make sure you go to an outfitter that knows there stuff and get the right set of straps for it. They can fit this pack to you and believe me I feel Osprey makes the best packs i have ever toted.

stranger
01-02-2004, 00:11
Please remember when purchasing a pack that every single person is different and just cause it says women's doesn't mean a damn thing. I have worked with thousands of packs, I have fit and custom bent well over 2500 internal frame packs and they were all different.

Unfortunately good internal frame packs are not cheap, I would avoid buying a pack based on price...but a great pack (for MOST women) would be the Lowe Alpine Scirocco Classic...if it's still around it's about $160. Keep in mind that most solid womens packs will be well about the $200 mark, and are worth it if you go out alot. None of these micro-internet ultralight companies have addressed women in their packs, they may say they have but all they are putting out is a man's pack in a smaller size...that doesn't work.

Once again it all comes down to fit and comfort...try to get in a good shop and have someone work with you for a while, which is something that is dying in the industry unfortunately.

gumball
01-02-2004, 11:48
I agree with Stranger, you must find the pack that fits your body best. I have tried and returned several--kelty's, jansports...I have now a large Lowe Alpine, and two Osprey's, one 60L and one 75L. These just happen to fit me the best. I only use the Lowe if I have to--short trip but choosing to carry lots of stuff....the Osprey's generally fit me like a glove because they are customizable at the waist, harness and your torso size. If you hunt the internet religiously, you should be able to track and find some decent sales now and again--however, you never really know what a pack is going to feel like until you have your real gear in it and are out on real trails. What twinges a little in the store or going up and down your home's steps will be very, very painful after a couple of miles.

If you can find a dealer with a decent return policy and can try a number of packs on before buying, you will do well for yourself.

Happy hiking!