PDA

View Full Version : Resupply Spreadsheet

ATbound
01-07-2008, 09:41
Once again, I'm not sure where to post this, so you moderaters can move it to the appropriate forum. Using Jack's resupply articles I created my own plan using a spreadsheet showing exact miles, etc. So while this is my own personal plan, I thought I'd share it in hopes others may benefit from the three hours I spent doing it :) . 3013

Frosty
01-07-2008, 13:51
Once again, I'm not sure where to post this, so you moderaters can move it to the appropriate forum. Using Jack's resupply articles I created my own plan using a spreadsheet showing exact miles, etc. So while this is my own personal plan, I thought I'd share it in hopes others may benefit from the three hours I spent doing it :) . 3013Awesome job, ATbound! The Days Between Stops column really highlights the areas that need close attention.

ofthearth
01-07-2008, 14:25
Once again, I'm not sure where to post this, so you moderaters can move it to the appropriate forum. Using Jack's resupply articles I created my own plan using a spreadsheet showing exact miles, etc. So while this is my own personal plan, I thought I'd share it in hopes others may benefit from the three hours I spent doing it :) . 3013

For those without a spreadsheet program, google has a free download (google apps) that will open the exel file.

ofthearth

ZEKE #2
01-07-2008, 14:51
I can't wait to get off work and match it to what I have already planned. Awesome job.

V8
01-07-2008, 17:50
Very tidy! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2008, 18:17
For those without a spreadsheet program, google has a free download (google apps) that will open the exel file.

ofthearth

You don't even have to download it. They are web apps. You can store your documents online and access them from any computer with unrestricted web access. It's perfect for long-distance hikers and a good way to back up important documents. There is also a feature that allows you to share documents, either allowing or preventing changes. It's great, for instance, to be able to print out your resume at any time.

http://docs.google.com/

Mammoth
01-07-2008, 18:22
Wow, this is really great. This saves me a lot of time and effort. It's really nice that you shared this with us. Thanks!

kayak karl
01-07-2008, 18:31
good job. i love excel sheets. what are you using the mail drops for. just curious. thats the next thing i need i work on. again, nice job

AT-HITMAN2005
01-07-2008, 18:34
this is awesome. i was going to throw together something like this except not so fancy for my hike this year based on what i learned the first time around. this will work even better, i think i may steal it. thanks a lot!

ATbound
01-07-2008, 18:38
According to Jack's resupply article both Fontana Dam and Harpers Ferry are both places that have very limited resouces for resupply, so I'll be mailing myself food to those towns to cover me for the next stretch. I suppose I should have explained the chart a bit, but if you any of you have questions or suggestions, I'm more than happy to hear them.

Kirby
01-07-2008, 18:46
According to Jack's resupply article both Fontana Dam and Harpers Ferry are both places that have very limited resouces for resupply, so I'll be mailing myself food to those towns to cover me for the next stretch. I suppose I should have explained the chart a bit, but if you any of you have questions or suggestions, I'm more than happy to hear them.

If you don't want to send a mail drop to Fontana Dam, then if you stay at the Hike Inn, they offer free shuttles into Robinsville, which has a grocery store that can be used for resupply. Not sure how large the grocery store is though, someone else can answer that.

Kirby

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2008, 18:47
That's nice and simple and to the point, just what you need.

I did some before my 2006 thru, very anal and way too detailed, needless to say it went out the window on day 3. I didn't even finish the itenery or calendar, the only thing I used was the mail drop schedule.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2008, 19:19
First off, thanks for your confidence in my article!

I think your plan looks great, in fact it looks very similar to several of my own hikes.

One quick comment: I think in some cases, while I don't question the wisdom of some of your stops, I don't think it'll take you so long to cover certain stretches as you have scheduled, i.e. I think your daily mileage will be greater, meaning you'll make faster progress, which means in some cases, there's good news: You'll be able to get by with less food, for example, in PA and the mid-Atlantic, I think you'll be making significantly better daily mileage than you have listed. Also, in a few cases, you might want to shorten some of your planned stretches, i.e. you don't really need to carry 6-7 days of food out of Harpers; there are several options rather than pack all the way to Boiling Springs; also, Hanover to North Woodstock is a bit of a haul; I'd plan to stay in the great hostel in Glencliff and get a shuttle to the little market in nearby Warren. 6-7 day stretches can be tough; if you can break any of them up and re-supply in the middle of them, try and do so.

Otherwise, I think your planning looks fantastic.

Best of luck.

A-Train
01-07-2008, 19:22
If you don't want to send a mail drop to Fontana Dam, then if you stay at the Hike Inn, they offer free shuttles into Robinsville, which has a grocery store that can be used for resupply. Not sure how large the grocery store is though, someone else can answer that.

Kirby

Full service supermarket. Can resupply to get to Standing Bear or Hot Springs easily. Buy some food to snack on at the Hike Inn, as they don't have food/meals there. Robbinsville is pretty full service: restaurants, public library, etc. Good stop, much better than Fontana

ATbound
01-07-2008, 19:49
Thanks Jack, for the advice. I am planning better milege than what I have on the plan, so the plan is really just a round-about guess. I will look into adding resupply points on those longer stretches.

wrongway_08
01-07-2008, 20:10

Harpers Ferry, you have to tavel 5 or 6 miles West from the town to get to food store. The town only has small gift shops to eat at.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2008, 20:12
Or, if one can't get to the supermarkets in Charles Town, a lot of folks simply have supplies sent to the ATC headquarters, which is open 7 days a week and is very easy to get to.

Appalachian Tater
01-07-2008, 21:30
It is very easy to get to Charles Town by bus. However, now you must go to a bus stop, you used to be able to just flag it down like a taxi. The bus drops you off and picks you up right at the door to the Super Wal-Mart. You can also go to a mall.

www.pantran.com

ofthearth
01-08-2008, 12:12
You don't even have to download it. They are web apps. You can store your documents online and access them from any computer with unrestricted web access. It's perfect for long-distance hikers and a good way to back up important documents. There is also a feature that allows you to share documents, either allowing or preventing changes. It's great, for instance, to be able to print out your resume at any time.

http://docs.google.com/

Appalachian Tater- feel free to clean this one up too;) as I'm a little weak on the writing/clarity skills. I ran a number of thoughts together to try and keep the message short and clear:rolleyes: What ran together was : if you have an older browser/system that will not run the spreadsheet app ( in my case Safari 1.3.2 )you can down load Firefox to run the Google spreadsheet app. As I said, anyway you can make sense of that..........

And a question for you(or anyone else) on a techie subject: can you search using parens? ie "pack weight" to just get returns on that phrase and not everything on packs and on weigth?

tia

ofthearth

JAK
01-08-2008, 13:22
Is there anything out there that includes distances from trailheads to resupply points?

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2008, 13:34
Is there anything out there that includes distances from trailheads to resupply points?
All the guidebooks do, if I understand your question correctly.

88BlueGT
01-08-2008, 23:26
Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work :) I'm really enjoying all these spreadsheets lol

Smile
01-08-2008, 23:29
Nice job ATBound :)