PDA

View Full Version : Any Google Earth files for FT?

Catnip
01-07-2008, 10:43
I've just ordered the maps for the Ocala National Forest portion of the FT (maps 19 and 20), but in the meantime I'd love to play with the route on Google Earth.

I haven't had any luck Googling for kml files or with Trimble Outdoors (searching "Florida Trail," "Florida National Scenic Trail," or "Ocala National Forest"). Does anyone have any hints for me?

(I plan to hike the section of FT in ONF sometime in April with three of my boys, ages 10, 14 and 15).

Thanks in advance! :)

MOWGLI
01-07-2008, 10:51
The Florida Trail Association (http://floridatrail.org) derives a considerable amount of revenue from the sale of maps, so they would not make that info publicly available for use with Google Earth. I suppose someone else could have created something for Google Earth. I'm not aware of any files of that nature however.

Have a great hike with your boys! I'll be starting a 90 mile hike on the FT 2 weeks from today. Can't wait!

Catnip
01-07-2008, 11:27
Enjoy your trip, Mowgli!

Yes, I understand about FTA making a profit from the maps. I was just hoping to find someone who mapped it out with GPS on a personal trip or something. The paper maps will be the best but I'm a mapophile and I love playing Google Earth! (They just got my childhood/growing-up area in high res last month, woohoo!)

ofthearth
01-07-2008, 15:20
I would be interested in knowing what you come up with. I hope to do a thru and can use all the data available. They do have a CD($60- I think) but I'm not sure what's on it ( still fiddleing with the maps/ books etc) Hammock Hanger might be a good person to ask that question.

ofthearth

Catnip
01-07-2008, 17:28
Well, I ordered the maps this morning :D. I'm hoping to receive them by Friday but who knows.

In the meantime, I saved the thumbnails of the two FTA maps I'm interested in, and used the "overlay" function in Google Earth to place and align them. Then I zoomed way in, and used the "Add Path" function to roughly trace the trail. Then I turned off the overlay. Now I have a general idea of where the trail lies and I can obsess over it ;) until my maps arrive.

I don't dare share (sorry) though, copyright and all. But anyone can do it for themselves. It just takes a little patience initially to get the image size to match the Google Earth view you're working with.

Cannibal
01-07-2008, 17:44
Well, I ordered the maps this morning :D. I'm hoping to receive them by Friday but who knows.

I've never had to wait more than 4 business days to get my maps from them. They are pretty good about turning them around quickly.

Gray Blazer
01-08-2008, 11:35
The Florida Trail Association (http://floridatrail.org) derives a considerable amount of revenue from the sale of maps, so they would not make that info publicly available for use with Google Earth. I suppose someone else could have created something for Google Earth. I'm not aware of any files of that nature however.

Have a great hike with your boys! I'll be starting a 90 mile hike on the FT 2 weeks from today. Can't wait!

Where are you hiking on the FT? I would love to meet you somewhere if you are near G'ville.

BumpJumper
01-08-2008, 18:11
DOWN you old geezer you!!!!:D :D :D

Gray Blazer
01-09-2008, 08:40
DOWN you old geezer you!!!!:D :D :D
Who's the old geezer?:confused:
Hey, BJ, ya'll got a sick firechief down there in Umatilla.