PDA

View Full Version : Disney - PETA Petition

Former Easy
12-23-2003, 22:47
For all outdoorsman, this is a very important issue please sign this petition. I'm not going to get into the specifics, you can do your own research and come to your own conclusion. I will say that PETA receives financial support from groups the Federal Bureau of Investigation has named terrorist organizations. Disney has no business in hell being affiliated to this organization. Members of this organization have been known to carry out terrorist acts, members of this organization also hold illegal rallies and demonstrations. Like I said before do your own research and decide yourself. To support this organization says a lot about your character and puts you in the same bed as the criminals associated with it.

go to link below to sign petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/msp1234/petition.html

TJ aka Teej
12-23-2003, 23:27
Disney has no business in hell being affiliated to this organization.
Urband legend. Disney & PETA aren't "affiliated."

Former Easy
12-23-2003, 23:42
You need to do some research, Disney lends its name and characters for a PETA advertising campaign .... thats considered being affiliated to me and thousands of others that have signed this petition. Like I said before do your own research and you will find the facts. Obviously TJ and no offense but you could not have possibly researched this issue to come to that conclusion.

TJ aka Teej
12-23-2003, 23:56
Obviously TJ and no offense but you could not have possibly researched this issue to come to that conclusion.
Sorry Easy, but PETA hates Disney's Animal Kingdom in Florida;

http://www.peta.org/feat/deadly/

And doing a simple google search shows this:

http://www.tnbass.com/script/news_article.php?story=21

It's an Internet Urban Legend, Disney is not "affiliated" with PETA.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 00:02
I just saw this in my e-mail that Rain Man posted this in the Pet Peeve Thread and now its gone, I would like to address this.

Well, I hope these political posts ARE DELETED by the moderators/administrators. These posts have no place on WhiteBlaze in my opinion.

I wouldn't want some PETA nut making non-hiking posts. Nor do I want some anti-PETA nut making non-hiking posts. Same difference. "Importance" has nothing to do with it. Lots of issues are "important." That's not a free ticket to post such stuff.

Find yourself a partisan political web site and post to your heart's content. Just don't troll here, please.

Rain Man

That's your opinion and only yours, you seem to be the forum police around here, with your I don't like this or that or approve of that comment. Well the fact is people from all different walks of life and backgrounds participate here and hike the trail. The PETA issue is important because other than hiking, a lot of us here are outdoorsman, so yes it is related to the outdoors and is not trolling. If you notice not every topic on Whiteblaze is related to hiking but most are related to the outdoors. You call me a nut well I think your a goof ball :D

I stand up for what I think is important, and don't belittle people for there opinions as you have chosen to do on occasion by name calling.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 00:12
Sorry Easy, but PETA hates Disney's Animal Kingdom in Florida;

http://www.peta.org/feat/deadly/

And doing a simple google search shows this:

http://www.tnbass.com/script/news_article.php?story=21

It's an Internet Urban Legend, Disney is not "affiliated" with PETA.

Thanks for those links TJ maybe im wrong on the Disney issue and I will research this further and immediatly notify some of the fishing forums im involved in about this issue, because alot of the online fishing community is in an uproar over this.

However this doesn't excuse PETA from there illegal activities, which are just proven again by the use of a Disney character for advertising with out consent of Disney. PETA must be stopped and as mentioned before the Federal goverment is watching them closely. I hope people make a wise decision and not get involved with this organization.

Joel Rash
12-24-2003, 00:54
I'm glad your experience as a copyright attorney has led you to conclude that PETA is infringing on a Disney trademark. I'm sure the little guys at Disney can use your help. My understanding is that limited use of proprietary characters is allowed for the purpose of satire. Something about the 1st Amendment.

I do think that you are mistaken that this is an on-topic subject and that White Blaze is a site about 'the outdoors'. This is what I found when I looked at the welcome page:

"The WhiteBlaze Network was created by a community of Appalachian Trail enthusiasts. Its intended purpose is to provide a forum for free exchange of ideas about the Appalachian Trail including its history, supporting the trail, hiking the trail, and general issues important to those that enjoy the Appalachian Trail."

Unless little Nemo was lost in the Smokies, or Disney is making a movie about a courageous wheelchair-bound thruhiker, you really have crossed the line and someone pointing that out is not playing 'forum police' but instead protecting their right to find relevant posts on a site they themselves respect the rules of.

As to the supposed law-breaking of PETA, one of the great things about this country is that we can support or oppose groups as we see fit. You can argue that 'they must be stopped,' I can jump on their web site and re-up my membership. Regardless, there are many more appropriate web sites for discussing the issue. Joel

attroll
12-24-2003, 01:18
I just saw this in my e-mail that Rain Man posted this in the Pet Peeve Thread and now its gone, I would like to address this. I deleted the other post in the PETpeeves thread since this thread was restarted over in this thread.

Hmm. I don't know what to say on this. I see both point of views here. But WhiteBlaze was created for the Appalachian Trail enthusiasts and this has nothing to do with the Appalachian Trail. We usually delete messages when people post trying to sell products. But Former Easy has a point also. There are other subjects that get posted on here that have nothing to do with the Appalachian Trail. Where do we draw the line here?

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 01:30
I deleted the other post in the PETpeeves thread since this thread was restarted over in this thread.

Hmm. I don't know what to say on this. I see both point of views here. But WhiteBlaze was created for the Appalachian Trail enthusiasts and this has nothing to do with the Appalachian Trail. We usually delete messagages when people post trying to sell products. But Former Easy has a point also. There are other subjects that get posted on here that have nothing to do with teh Appalachian Trail. Where do we draw the line here?

I can point out why this might be an important issue here.

1) There could be many hikers here that are involved with PETA and after some research about there illegal tactics will not support them anymore.

2) To warn others about joining this organization before they do.

3) most of us hikers respect wildlife and if an acceptable organization comes along fine, but PETA is not an acceptable organization. If you watched America's most Wanted a few weeks ago you would have seen a member PETA is wanted for a bombing.

4) PETA's anti-fishing campaign is so ridiculous its funny. Fishing is one of America's favorite past times.

I could go thru this forum and find hundreds of post that wouldn't be acceptable to you Joel.

Yes I knew I was opening up a can of worms with posting this here, but I feel if we can sway a few people and their outlook of this organization, its worth it.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 07:40
I'm glad your experience as a copyright attorney has led you to conclude that PETA is infringing on a Disney trademark. I'm sure the little guys at Disney can use your help. My understanding is that limited use of proprietary characters is allowed for the purpose of satire. Something about the 1st Amendment.

Joel I wouldn't consider this satire follow link below
http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_827281.html

Suggesting children not to eat fish, a healthy food from the FDA basic food groups is just plain wrong, along with using kid friendly characters to influence them. I'm no nutritionist but it sure can't be healthy to raise your children with out animal products such as milk, cheese, meat, fish etc....

PETA has tons of money and supporters and that's what makes them so dangerous, their members seldom get punished with more than misdemeanors for their crimes, when they should in fact be charged under the hate crime stature which is a felony. I consider throwing paint on someone because they don't have the same beliefs as you a hate crime, wouldn't you.

I can go on and on about this organization, if you chose to still support them after all the facts are laid out and you have done extensive research, fine that's your choice. But I feel you donations would be better spent going to the ATC or any other organization who's members don't resort to illegal tactics to get their message across.

And yes I am a fisherman (98% catch and release) and have been known to take a deer or two by bow (which is necessary to promote a healthy population in areas I have hunted) I don't hunt bear or any other animals, and I do feel the poaching in this country and other countries is a real problem and I don't support it.

Lumberjack
12-24-2003, 08:07
Peta over the years has taken some rediculous stances. I really dont care for their animals are more important then people philosophy, But thats not why I dont support them.

I cannot and will not support or endorse any group that deliberately commits illegal acts and displays the reckless disregard for others that PETA has. In one case they released several dogs at a show form thier "captivity" and several were killed or injured when they ran into the nearby streets. there are many more incidents ad nauseum.

You might want to be aware that Peta runs several front type charities from which they get most of thier funding. They generally are pro animal type groups with reasonable issues but most of the money they get is funneled into Peta's pockets. The names change regularly so check carefully before you donate to any charity. ( this has become a standard practice for many radical groups )

Lone Wolf
12-24-2003, 09:55
Hey Easy, go to peta-sucks.com, good website about those terrorist whackos. Also tednugent.com talk back forum is a great place to discuss those pukes.

tlbj6142
12-24-2003, 10:22
Folks don't forget that the biggest reason why extremist groups like PETA are extremist is so that less extreme groups are considered "valid" and "non-threatening".

In short, they use extremism to raise the bar on acceptable norms.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 10:35
Hey Easy, go to peta-sucks.com, good website about those terrorist whackos. Also tednugent.com talk back forum is a great place to discuss those pukes.

Ted is a true outdoorsman and not just some celebrity bozo talking about the outdoors, I have visited his site quite a few times. I also attended one of his bow seminars at an outdoor show a few years ago.

Im also a member of PETA ~ People Eating Tasty Animals ..... LOL

Blue Jay
12-24-2003, 10:38
Folks don't forget that the biggest reason why extremist groups like PETA are extremist is so that less extreme groups are considered "valid" and "non-threatening".

In short, they use extremism to raise the bar on acceptable norms.

You are exactly correct. They have exposed the very real health issues with factory farming. Antibiotics are quickly becoming ineffective in humans because we eat them every day in meat along with untested sex and growth hormones. Slamonella, once a rare problem is now epidemic in chicken. What goes around comes around, abuse animals, they abuse you.

Lone Wolf is also correct, if you want extremism, read or listen to Ted Nugent. He makes PETA look like the PTA only from the other side. Very interesting, amusing and inflamatory. I may disagree with him, but he is never boring and he rocks.

RagingHampster
12-24-2003, 10:42
As far as topics are concerned at WhiteBlaze, and the governing of those topics by saying they must be "AT Related", I'd like to point out that we have a forum titled "Other Long Trails" here. Almost every forum that is open to intelligent people has a "General" category, as does ours. I feel within this specific area of WhiteBlaze we should have the freedom to discuss other topics, even non trail-related. After all we have everything from SuperBowl discussions to Military History. The "General" forum should be open to anything people want to discuss... so long as they remain civil, and clearly state the forums discussion topic in the Subject Line. Being a Troll and bleeding from the topic at hand into other parts of the Forum should not be tolerated though, unless a direct link is present. Just my opinion.

As far as PETA is concerned, I feel their core belief of protecting wildlife and their habitats is great, but their methods and many of their more extreme ways are intolerable. I for one do not support them. I also feel the same about many other "Non-Profit" organizations such as the United Way who employ multiple people at salaries exceeding a quarter million dollars. And if you want to actually make a difference you should talk to those voted in to represent you, and who spend the $8 Trillion dollars a year in the mother of all slush funds (or grossly exceed that amount in the case of some inept leaders).

EDIT:
Let me also mention that organizations like PETA have their reciprocals on the other side of the environmental fence. Most big industries, and even themselves who use the products from the very industries they protest. But almost every major change comes from angry calls to your representatives. The Clean Water Act for instance.

illininagel
12-24-2003, 10:46
Where do we draw the line here?

In my opinion, this forum should not be used to advance political causes, one way or the other. And, posting links to political petitions is where the line should be drawn. It doesn't seem to be within the scope of this message board. Again, just my opinion...

attroll
12-24-2003, 10:49
illininagel

I am taking this into consideration. I am weighing this out. I kind of agree with you to a certian extent. Maybe I should poast a poll on this.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 11:09
illininagel

I am taking this into consideration. I am weighing this out. I kind of agree with you to a certian extent. Maybe I should poast a poll on this.

Rick to delete this, then you would have to consider deleting other threads, I think Raging Hampsters Ideas a good one. As has been stated on this site before, people don't have to read the topics if they chose not to. This thread has a good discussion going on. If anything on illininagel's comment, then delete the link to the petition and leave the conversation. That way it will just be opinions of this shady organization, and not trying to to be political and get votes.

Alligator
12-24-2003, 11:09
For all outdoorsman, this is a very important issue please sign this petition. I'm not going to get into the specifics, you can do your own research and come to your own conclusion.

Like I said before do your own research and decide yourself. To support this organization says a lot about your character and puts you in the same bed as the criminals associated with it.
[/url]

Are you going to let us do our own research and decide ourselves or tell us how to think (or who we sleep with)?

TJ aka Teej
12-24-2003, 11:15
Where do we draw the line here?Politics are part of an A.T. hiker's landscape. Maine's elected officials and the AMC v. the Wilderness, Saddleback (land rights v. the Trail), Condos mines clearcutting and race tracks (preservation v. development), gun rights v. hiker safety, Bush v. the environment.. Heck, even canister stoves, campfires, and cell phones have political sides! How can you be an aware member of the Trail community if all you want to hear about is what's the best water filter or coolest blue blaze?

My wife's going to church with the kids later tonight, ATTroll. I'll ask her to light a candle or six for you :D

Alligator
12-24-2003, 12:32
I can point out why this might be an important issue here.

1) There could be many hikers here that are involved with PETA and after some research about there illegal tactics will not support them anymore.

It is a remote connection to tie PETA to the AT. In response to your "important points."

1. There are many hikers out there that are supportive of various organizations. Some of these organizations may use questionable tactics. Ranting and raving about those that have a very tenuous, (I would say non-existent) relationship to the Appalachian Trail is far out of bounds for this site.

2) To warn others about joining this organization before they do.

2. There are thousands of organizations we could be "warned about". To address them all here would be completely off-topic. Norml would be one, hikers smoke MJ.

3) most of us hikers respect wildlife and if an acceptable organization comes along fine, but PETA is not an acceptable organization. If you watched America's most Wanted a few weeks ago you would have seen a member PETA is wanted for a bombing.

3. Here you are back to judging what is acceptable, but telling us previously we can make our own decisions. If that PETA member had bombed a shelter on the AT, maybe this would be relevant. And I take it the suggestion is that we should judge the group by the actions of a single member?

4) PETA's anti-fishing campaign is so ridiculous its funny. Fishing is one of America's favorite past times..
4. Ok, there are fishing spots along the AT. But a more relevant forum would be a FISHING website, not a HIKING website. If your goal is to gain converts, your efforts would be more productive elsewhere.

Yes I knew I was opening up a can of worms with posting this here, but I feel if we can sway a few people and their outlook of this organization, its worth it.

Listen to that little voice inside you, it is a can of worms. Your efforts would be far more productive in a more receptive audience. However, it appears you feel the need to convert people. Try a vegetarian site if you're looking to troll.

In my opinion, PETA is way off the subject of the AT. If it is decided that off topic posts are acceptable, I would suggest a completely new category called (ingeniously) OFF TOPIC. Then this type of incendiary material can be moved and people clearly aware that the material is not related to the AT.

smokymtnsteve
12-24-2003, 12:45
even being veggie-tarin myself ..I tottally disagree with PETA..

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 12:58
Alligator ...... I have had nothing negative to say about you, yet you call me a Troll. You might want to rethink that statement.

BTW you can clearly see what the topic is in the Topic Title, if you don't want to look at that topic move on its that simple.

4) in reply to number 4 above ....... believe me this topic is well covered every where else I visit. I am very active in the online fishing community.

On another note there have been more than a few bombings and arsons that have been linked back indirectly to PETA and is not just one member.

Now why don't we go over to the religious thread and look at all your off topic material.

illininagel
12-24-2003, 13:24
people don't have to read the topics if they chose not to

Former Easy,

After further consideration, I agree with you. I simply should have chosen not to read the thread. A forum like this probably gets into more trouble trying to "make a call" on what the acceptable topics are. The only threads that should be deleted are ones that are obscene or in some way harmful to others.

Merry Christmas!

Alligator
12-24-2003, 15:36
Alligator ...... I have had nothing negative to say about you, yet you call me a Troll. You might want to rethink that statement.

I used it as a verb "to troll". Example. He was fooling around. Did I call him a fool? The incongruence of PETA and Disney with hiking, the overt display of hostility toward PETA, the awareness of controversy, "can of worms", and your apparent coverage of this material elsewhere

4) in reply to number 4 above ....... believe me this topic is well covered every where else I visit. I am very active in the online fishing community.
all seem to warrant the use of "to troll" I stand by my use of the verb.

BTW you can clearly see what the topic is in the Topic Title, if you don't want to look at that topic move on its that simple.

I must admit, my curiosity was piqued, I had to know how PETA and Disney related to hiking and the AT. I'm still wondering. However, even though I don't have to read it (and I have used this argument myself), I have a right to question why this thread was even started on the site, as have others. The general forum should still relate in some way to hiking and the AT.

Now why don't we go over to the religious thread and look at all your off topic material.
I'm flattered that you searched me out. The post concerned "religious activities and materials in shelters". This is clearly related to the AT. While no longer available, your original post was in the "petpeeves while hiking" thread as was mine. Do PETA and Disney irritate you that much while on the AT?

The pool of controversial topics, all with little bearing on the AT and hiking, is vast. I would suggest again that if the doors are to be left open for them, that at least an OFF TOPIC folder be created. An even better solution would be a sub-folder therein TROLL FOLDER. The moderators have the right to keep their folders neat and tidy, no?

Can you see it now, the crowd cheering, "Put him in the Troll Folder. The Troll Folder..."

Jack Tarlin
12-24-2003, 15:39
There are a bunch of internet sites (backpacker.com and the at-l mailing list, to name just two) that I no longer spend time at because they spent a great deal of time and energy discussing stuff that was not hiking/A.T. related. I don't go to hiking sites to discuss gun control, solar energy, the death penalty, affirmative action, foreign policy, etc. I go to outdoor sites to discuss the outdoors. I don't think I'm alone in this, either.

Regardless of how one may feel about PETA and similar organizations, this is NOT the place to discuss it, nor any other political issue not directly connected to hiking, backpacking, the A.T., the outdoors, etc.

All of us, or presumably most of us, have our own political issues and causes that are important to us, that we try to keep informed on, that we may discuss with others.

However, I don't think Whiteblaze is the place to either introduce such subjects or to discuss them, and I think it'd be unfortunate if discussions and threads such as this become regular features here. Regardless of the issue, and regardless of the fact that some of us might be interested in the subject, I simply don't think that it's right to either initiate or continue discussions such as this on a website ostensibly devoted to sharing information on the Appalachian Trail. An interactive website does not exist so anyone can visit it and expound on any damn thing they wish; most sites such as Whiteblaze have a specific purpose and intention, and introducing off-topic threads and posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the intended purpose of the site is simply rude. If you wanna talk politics, then either visit a website devoted to such things, or start a new site of your own, but taking advantage of the existence of a site like this one in order to sound off on a personal pet issue is just wrong.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 16:05
There are a bunch of internet sites (backpacker.com and the at-l mailing list, to name just two) that I no longer spend time at because they spent a great deal of time and energy discussing stuff that was not hiking/A.T. related. I don't go to hiking sites to discuss gun control, solar energy, the death penalty, affirmative action, foreign policy, etc. I go to outdoor sites to discuss the outdoors. I don't think I'm alone in this, either.

Regardless of how one may feel about PETA and similar organizations, this is NOT the place to discuss it, nor any other political issue not directly connected to hiking, backpacking, the A.T., the outdoors, etc.

All of us, or presumably most of us, have our own political issues and causes that are important to us, that we try to keep informed on, that we may discuss with others.

However, I don't think Whiteblaze is the place to either introduce such subjects or to discuss them, and I think it'd be unfortunate if discussions and threads such as this become regular features here. Regardless of the issue, and regardless of the fact that some of us might be interested in the subject, I simply don't think that it's right to either initiate or continue discussions such as this on a website ostensibly devoted to sharing information on the Appalachian Trail. An interactive website does not exist so anyone can visit it and expound on any damn thing they wish; most sites such as Whiteblaze have a specific purpose and intention, and introducing off-topic threads and posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the intended purpose of the site is simply rude. If you wanna talk politics, then either visit a website devoted to such things, or start a new site of your own, but taking advantage of the existence of a site like this one in order to sound off on a personal pet issue is just wrong.

Jack,

PETA is related to the outdoors and has an affect on many outdoorsman including me. Of course I wouldn't post this on a auto site, or computer info site, I post it here because I assume that there are supporters of PETA here and they need to know the facts that they are supporting a organization that crosses the line legally. You don't need to view this thread if you wish not. But when the day comes that any of you want to stand for something as important as this issue remember not to post it here. Yes I can turn my own site on with the flick of switch (in literally 30 seconds), but as you mentioned before Jack, that it would be counter productive to have many AT sites.

I found these off topic threads in about a minute, im sure I could find 100 more in about 10 minutes.

I was never in the military
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3117

Heading to Syria
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3108

Check it out Discovery Channel Contest
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3084

Funniest Bear Joke Ever
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3087

Nude Hiker In Britain
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2287

Pay Pal Virus
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2861

RagingHampster
12-24-2003, 16:14
If your going to censor topics like this because it doesn't have "approved by the ATC" stamped on it, than you'll have to delete close to a quarter of the other posts as well. This is a very sensitive topic (Censorship) that needs close consideration and not a spur of the moment blanket of muffling. As I pointed out before, we even have a sub-forum called "Other Long Trails", meaning discussions about trails completely unrelated to the AT, with the possible exception of The Long Trail.

While I thought Former Easy contradicted himself a bit and got pretty heated up over the PETA issue, discussion is always better than hatred lined silence. Whether people like it or not, everything in this world is interconnected and affects each other.

I feel that a thread clearly labeled in a subforum titled "General" that promotes intelligent conversations should be welcomed. If the "moderators" decide to make this another Trailplace, I guess I'll be on the search for another open Forum where certain people uncomfortable with discussing sensitive topics (to them) don't cause mass Censorship for everyone else. After all, the Rock himself has a list of topics that range from The SuperBowl to donations for Iraqi schools. What about the "Happy Holidays" topic? I'm agnostic and religion has nothing directly to do with the AT. Let's not fall into the rutted footsteps of WingNut.

But I trust ATTroll will make a well-thought out decision.

Jack Tarlin
12-24-2003, 16:23
Easy---

You're missing the point. Gee, what a surprise.

The fact that PETA, (which seems to spend most of it's time trying to convince the world that a sea slug is the moral equivalent of a human being), is somehow peripherally connected to the "outdoors" is irrelevant.

And the fact that you've dug up other posts and threads that were also a zillion miles off-topic is also irrelevant; all it means is that other folks behaved as you did, and introduced material to an A.T. site that had little or nothing to do with the main subject or purpose of the site. The fact that you've unearthed other off-topic posts here doesn't excuse or justify sending in a whole lot more.

This is a site primarily devoted to discussing the Appalachian Trail. If you don't think ladies should wear coats made outta rendered bunnies, or if you're against factory farming, or if you think Sigfried and Roy are worse criminals than Saddam Hussein, or if you think we should stop trying to find a cure for cancer, Aids, or infanile paralysis if we have to use animal testing iin order to do so----if you wanna argue all of this, that's fine and good, Easy. All I'm saying is this isn't the best place to do it. And I'm willing to bet most folks agree with me. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eat a large meal consisting primarily of assorted animal flesh; then I'm gonna put on my boots and coat (made of leather, I might add), and I'm gonna go to church, where among other things, I'm going to give thanks to the fact that we all live in a place where we're free to have discussions like this one-----provided, of course, we're polite, respectful, and civil enough to have these discussions in the proper way, time, and place. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to attend to my veal chops. Merry Christmas!

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 16:26
I used it as a verb "to troll". Example. He was fooling around. Did I call him a fool? The incongruence of PETA and Disney with hiking, the overt display of hostility toward PETA, the awareness of controversy, "can of worms", and your apparent coverage of this material elsewhere

all seem to warrant the use of "to troll" I stand by my use of the verb.

I must admit, my curiosity was piqued, I had to know how PETA and Disney related to hiking and the AT. I'm still wondering. However, even though I don't have to read it (and I have used this argument myself), I have a right to question why this thread was even started on the site, as have others. The general forum should still relate in some way to hiking and the AT.

I'm flattered that you searched me out. The post concerned "religious activities and materials in shelters". This is clearly related to the AT. While no longer available, your original post was in the "petpeeves while hiking" thread as was mine. Do PETA and Disney irritate you that much while on the AT?

The pool of controversial topics, all with little bearing on the AT and hiking, is vast. I would suggest again that if the doors are to be left open for them, that at least an OFF TOPIC folder be created. An even better solution would be a sub-folder therein TROLL FOLDER. The moderators have the right to keep their folders neat and tidy, no?

Can you see it now, the crowd cheering, "Put him in the Troll Folder. The Troll Folder..."

I didn't need to search you out I followed your religous rant the whole way thru, you obviously have some issues by your tone, call me a Troll all you want, Have a Merry Christmas.

RagingHampster
12-24-2003, 16:35
Now that last post was definetly out of line.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 16:49
Now that last post was definetly out of line.

Theres nothing out of line giving someone there own medicine RagingHampster,
I played nice Alligator turned the table in his last post. I won't allow anyone on this site to belittle me.

Joel Rash
12-24-2003, 16:53
"but PETA is not an acceptable organization. If you watched America's most Wanted a few weeks ago you would have seen a member PETA is wanted for a bombing."

So if a member of White Blaze committed a crime, then White Blaze 'should be stopped'? Show me where PETA actively encouraged or supported the bombing and I'll believe you. Here's a good example of how flawed your argument is: Eric Rudolph bombed an abortion clinic. Does that mean all who oppose abortion are terrorists?

______

"Suggesting children not to eat fish, a healthy food from the FDA basic food groups is just plain wrong, along with using kid friendly characters to influence them. I'm no nutritionist but it sure can't be healthy to raise your children with out animal products such as milk, cheese, meat, fish etc...."

So, you're not a nutritionist but you're sure that a vegetarian diet must be unhealthy. It sounds like you are the one that should do some more research, since a fairly sizeable portion of the world's population gets by with very little or no meat. Of course, you can point to the typical American diet heavy on meat and just see how 'healthy' we are. Healthy if you mean getting way too much fat, sugar, secondary antibiotics, processed flour, etc. and suffering from obesity and diet-related conditions at a rate never before seen in human history.

For the record, I don't trust the FDA. They are subject to pressure from all sorts of competing agendas, and their guidelines have historically been flawed. Fish are healthy only if you don't mind consuming dangerous quantities of mercury.

_______

"PETA has tons of money and supporters and that's what makes them so dangerous, their members seldom get punished with more than misdemeanors for their crimes, when they should in fact be charged under the hate crime stature which is a felony. I consider throwing paint on someone because they don't have the same beliefs as you a hate crime, wouldn't you."

Wait, so a special interest group has lots of cash and that's a problem? I bet the average PETA member could say the same thing about the NRA. As for applying hate crime laws, I don't think diet is a federally-protected criteria under the statute. Besides, while some organizations might promote direct action like vandalizing individuals wearing fur, I don't know that PETA is one of them.

_____

"You might want to be aware that Peta runs several front type charities from which they get most of thier funding. They generally are pro animal type groups with reasonable issues but most of the money they get is funneled into Peta's pockets. The names change regularly so check carefully before you donate to any charity. ( this has become a standard practice for many radical groups )"

Could you give us few examples? I've never heard this before. I think a source less biased that 'PETA Sucks' would have more credibility.

_____

There was a post on here last night blaming PETA for trying to 'influence children too young to make up their own minds'. Have you heard of a Happy Meal? Same thing.
_____

If we're going to have an extensive off-topic conversation, lets at least shoot for an honest one. Diet is important, both for us individually and for the planet. Factory farming, hunting, water quality, national health and healthcare are all interconnected issues that deserve a fair hearing. PETA fills a valuable role in expressing a point of view, just as Ted Nugent does on his side of things. To pretend that one side or the other has all the answers is just ignorant.

Have a great holiday everyone. Joel

RagingHampster
12-24-2003, 17:00
Directly insulting other members with profanity doesn't help to further your point.

Great post Joel, you saved me a bunch of typing I was to lazy to do, although you deftly avoided the topic of Censorship brought to the surface through the PETA discussion.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 17:09
If Attroll wants to delete this thread fine, its probably for the better, but we don't need to get riled up over this, its the holidays. I didn't ask any of you to disect my posts or belittle me, you did that on your own and obviously have issues, you obviously don't realize whom your talking to or who created this playground for you, a little respect would be nice.

attroll
12-24-2003, 17:38
Yes I definitely agree that post was out of line. I will keep my mouth shut for now.

OK. I lied. I will say something on this.

As for some of the other post that you have pointed out that were off topic, I went through them and deleted about three of them I believe. Some had replies or answers to them and some had not had answers in quite some time. I took the virus one off but I probably should have left it seeing we have money being exchanged through the internet dealing with WhiteBlaze and some users. But I took it down. I left about two up. For what I thought was good reasons. But then everyone has their own opinion of what should have stayed up. So this conversation could go on forever about what to allow and not to allow on the site. The nude hiker was talking about a hiker. I know I am leaning out on limb on this one. But I left it. The bear joke I thought was funny. We all have heard and read about encounters with bears on the AT. So this is just something I though everyone would like and find funny also.

But when a subject comes up like this one and when someone gets out of line and then someone has to jump down there throat on it and then the original poster has to reply and jump back down the other person’s throat. Well that gets to be annoying thing to read. I know I use to hate and still hate going to web sites where there is nothing relevant being talked about but the users arguing over something having nothing to do with the web site. This is why there are very few web sites that I visit other then WhiteBlaze.

Sort of like the thread dealing with dogs on the trail. It started out great but now it is starting to turn into what this thread is now. It is getting way off topic talking about eating dogs in Korea ect., and will have to be dealt with unless it gets back on topic.

I am not saying we can not stray off topic and then get back on it. But when it gets down right belligerent then someone needs to be the better person and just shut up. Sort of like Mom use to tell us.

I think if users would just say how they feel about the thread and be done with it. Even adding to it later would be fine. But when users start trying to put down the posters and start getting belligerent to each other that is where the line needs to be drawn.

Jack Tarlin has very good points to his post and I respect 99% of every post he has ever posted on WhiteBlaze and respect him. (So far. LOL) He is a valuable Appalachian Trail resource. So we should stick to AT topics to an extent and try to keep it related to the AT.

I am sure he would agree with me (I hope) that wondering off topic once and a while does not hurt as long it is comes back to the topic. As long as the wondering off the topic is within reason. If people need to wonder off the topic then they should create a new thread.

I can not understand why a user wouldn’t see when someone is starting to get belligerent and just leave the thread alone and let it rot and stay away from it. But I guess there is always someone that wants to stir the pot.

Well this is just my opinion. Sorry if some of you may not like it. But please don’t jump down my throat.

Yes it looks like this thread will get deleted eventually. It would probably be fore the better anyway.

Frosty
12-24-2003, 17:58
"but PETA is not an acceptable organization. If you watched America's most Wanted a few weeks ago you would have seen a member PETA is wanted for a bombing."

So if a member of White Blaze committed a crime, then White Blaze 'should be stopped'?

You know, this is an excellent point, Joel, as was the rest of your post.

However, I'm still searching for the connection of PETA and the AT. Perhaps we should restrict this topic to recipes using PETA bread.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 18:02
ah forget it

smokymtnsteve
12-24-2003, 18:19
Sort of like the thread dealing with dogs on the trail. It started out great but now it is starting to turn into what this thread is now. It is getting way off topic talking about eating dogs in Korea ect., and will have to be dealt with unless it gets back on topic.

troll about the dog eating in Korea ...I think that the point there is that people view dogs very differently according to the thier cultural background...

some think that dogs should not even carry any load ......

while others folks see them as pack animals and some folks see them as food....

so that thread and this thread are somewhat related....

How about a thread dealing with the trail subject of Korean and Korean friendly hikers eating dogs on the trail....the ulitmate in light-weight hiking ...

FOOD THAT CARRIES ITSELF!

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 18:37
Rick you might want to delete that help Bagdad schools thread also. Thats so unrelated to the trail it isn't funny, jeez its not even related to this country, also and im sure most will agree, that we have more important concerns and issues in our own country then sending money to a terrorist country. I know plenty of children that need help right here in the chicago area, sending money over seas and neglecting our own children is morally and ethically wrong.

No offense to Rock but that thread has no buisness here either, you can't allow one and not the other even if it is posted by an admin, that would make you biased.

RagingHampster
12-24-2003, 19:23
- ATTroll

As someone who has been around WhiteBlaze for awhile, and being the 3rd in frequency of participating in discussions on this webpage, I've seen it change and grow over the past year+. I've spent alot of time here chatting about many things, those related to the trail, and those not.

I've also experienced heavily modded forums such as TrailPlace, and seen first hand how censorship divides and angers participants. I'm a little worried about these sudden changes of moderation here, and would like to express my heartfelt dissapointment in your decision to begin deleting topics. While I support the moderation of profanity and topic bombing, I have to respectfully disagree with your current direction and pace of actions.

While I don't plan on immediately leaving WhiteBlaze, I would like to cancel my order for the WhiteBlaze patches you set aside for me, and I will be looking into some other backpacking WebForums. For those of you I frequently chat with here, you can reach me via eMail as I will be away from WhiteBlaze for awhile.

Thanks, and Have a Happy Holidays.
-RH
[email protected]

attroll
12-24-2003, 20:24
RagingHampster

Sorry you got upset because I deleted three threads that were not being responded to. But I did bring two of them back after reviewing them. So I deleted one in all.

1. The "Virus" I explained.
2. "Syria" was brought back
3. "Discovery Channel" was brought back.

So when something does not go the way people want look how easy they turn on this site.

As for the patches. You are not the only one that has promised to get patches and not sent money. So far I am in the hole over $125.

Former Easy
12-24-2003, 20:39
So if those were brought back then whats the consensus on what is appropiate for posting. I hope you do see the corelation between my post and the Bagdad school post. Im sorry it was Rock that posted it because I mean no offense to him, its the best example I can find, as you see he is trying to get support for a non AT issue as well as I am trying to get support for a non AT issue.

illininagel
12-25-2003, 00:02
So when something does not go the way people want look how easy they turn on this site.

Attroll,

You should be proud of they way you administer this site. You will always have unhappy customers, especially when you are dealing with a forum of nearly 2,000 participants.

I have come to the conclusion that censorship should be limited in forums such as this. I think it makes the most sense to open a new category called "Off Topic," and if you really feel that the thread is not appropriate, you could simply reclassify it. Forum participants would then very easily be able to avoid the "clutter" that some complain about.

Censorship places an undue burden on the administrator. Like I said, you will always have unhappy people here, or anywhere. But, some of this might be minimized if a thread was reclassified versus deleted. After all, as we have already seen, nearly any topic (technology, finances, romance, diet, physical fitness, religion, etc.) can be related to the trail.

And, I'm sorry to here that you have not yet recovered all of your money for the patches. I ordered one, and I would encourage anyone else that's interested in the AT to buy one as well. They are very professional and are a great collector's item or would look good on your backpack.

Attroll, thank you again for all that you do. Please don't get discouraged by a few negative comments. Have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

okpik
12-25-2003, 08:54
I won't allow anyone on this site to belittle me.
You seem to be self sufficient there. ;) :banana :clap :welcome :jump

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 09:24
More PETA Nonsense

"Your Mommy Kills Animals"
http://www.komotv.com/stories/28882.htm

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 09:31
You seem to be self sufficient there. ;) :banana :clap :welcome :jump

Think what you want, but as I mentioned before I created this playground. Im sure most will agree and some might not like this, but to go on a site and disrespect the original founder of the site your posting on, is uncalled for and makes you look like a fool.

illininagel
12-25-2003, 10:26
...but to go on a site and disrespect the original founder of the site your posting on, is uncalled for and makes you look like a fool.

The strength of a forum is in its participants. A message board is nothing without the contributions of its members.

The fact that you are the "original founder" of this site, as you so often remind all of us, apparently contributes nothing to the value of your postings today. Rather, one could argue that many of your postings hurt this forum. But, I guess censorship does more harm than good.

Attroll, I don't know if this is feasible, but one possible solution is to incorporate an "ignore" button. If some members don't wish to read posts from another member for whatever reason, they could ignore that user and his/her postings would not be visible. Again, I don't know if this feature is available in a forum such as this.

Hikerhead
12-25-2003, 10:30
Attroll, I don't know if this is feasible, but one possible solution is to incorporate an "ignore" button. If some members don't wish to read posts from another member for whatever reason, they could ignore that user and his/her postings would not be visible. Again, I don't know if this feature is available in a forum such as this.

Go to "User CP". Look for "Ignore List".

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 10:58
The strength of a forum is in its participants. A message board is nothing without the contributions of its members.

The fact that you are the "original founder" of this site, as you so often remind all of us, apparently contributes nothing to the value of your postings today. Rather, one could argue that many of your postings hurt this forum. But, I guess censorship does more harm than good.

Who spent over $600 dollars developing this site, months of hard work getting a substantial member base built, advertising this site all over hell. Yes its the members but someone had to get them here and build something that would make them want to return. I could show you many AT sites that never got off the ground because they didn't have that quality. Some say "Oh well he started at the right time" wrong there were quite a few active AT sites around, I just built something that drew people here more than the others. Your comments and a few others just show how disrespectful some people are. If you notice I never said anything bad about anyone in this thread till they did about me first.

Look at it this way dude, how about you build a house and i'll come over and walk in your house and tell you that I think your fool after you built it, think about it. I also don't see to many posts where I mention I developed this site. My post are damaging thats bull ****. I express my opinions like everyone else and if someones going to call me a nut or a fool, your dam right i'm going fire comments back.

By the way what have you ever done for the trail or its community?

Please put me on your ignore list, then I don't need to worry about you replying to my posts in a disrespectful manner.

illininagel
12-25-2003, 10:59
Go to "User CP". Look for "Ignore List".

Hikerhead,

Thanks for the tip. It worked.

So, how is this for a proposal to the AT Forum participants? If you don't like what someone is posting, simply add them to your IGNORE list. I just tried it and it works! You will never again see the messages from that user.

This certainly seems like a better solution that bothering the administrator everytime someone thinks that a post doesn't belong here.

Hikerhead
12-25-2003, 11:41
Hikerhead,

Thanks for the tip. It worked.

So, how is this for a proposal to the AT Forum participants? If you don't like what someone is posting, simply add them to your IGNORE list. I just tried it and it works! You will never again see the messages from that user.

This certainly seems like a better solution that bothering the administrator everytime someone thinks that a post doesn't belong here.

I've yet to add anyone to my ignore list but it's there if you choose to do that.

I think it's better just to ignore the thread all together or not to get involved with it. If i were to disagree with what someone else writes, I will surely get a reply back with another disageement, and it goes on and on.

Easy did get this ball rolling and for that we should all be thankful.

Merry X-Mas to everyone!!!!

illininagel
12-25-2003, 12:02
I think it's better just to ignore the thread all together or not to get involved with it. Easy did get this ball rolling and for that we should all be thankful.

Thanks for the good advice. And, I agree with you that we should be thankful that Easy started this forum. It's been an invaluable learning resource for me.

Merry Christmas!

Rain Man
12-25-2003, 14:53

Under each post there is a Profile button for that poster. Just click on it. When their Profile pops up, look near the bottom. There is an "Ignore This User" you can click on. That's all there is to it.

When some, er, gentlemen, cross-post to about every active forum, there's really no way to "just skip" those forums or their NUMEROUS posts. So, it's far easier to select the default to ignore all their posts.

There's certainly little danger that I see of throwing out a baby in that dirty, stinking bath water! Keeps the blood pressure down and keeps you out of the constant bickering some of them seem to revel in.

Rain Man

Tenacious Tanasi
12-25-2003, 20:37

From PETA to Ted Nugent, now that is definitely going from one extreme to the other! LOL :D

While I may not totally agree with either whacko ;) , I do know one thing...they both display a great passion for animals and the great outdoors.

The one thing that I think we should all derive from either extreme is that we must educate ourselves and make decisions that we can live with and pass down to our children in a way that furthers the existance and cohabitation of humans and nature for generations to come.

As humans, we should go out of our way to make our points in a peaceful manner. When we either commit a personal offense (physical or oral) or otherwise endanger the lives of other humans while trying to make our point understood, we greatly discredit the very message that we are trying to send.

Further thoughts...

Fanatacism is a scary thing. But, at the same time, our very country was founded on and by fanatics. Think about it...we started out with a tea party and now we have PETA and Ted Nugent! You have to give both credit for one thing...they made you think! That is one way I will glorify fanatics...they cause others to use that little ol' noodle between their ears for once.

While I agree that animals are very important to the survival of humans and the earth as a whole, I will not dissuade my children from drinking milk or eating fish, cheese or etc. I will also not stop trout fishing on the river or riding my ATV in the woods or deer hunting (as long as I do so in the appropriate manner & in designated areas). However, I will work to restore and upkeep the wilderness. I will volunteer my time to collect walnuts and hickory nuts to donate to bear sanctuaries. I will go out of my way to pick up someone else's trash and pack it out of the woods when others were thoughtless enough to leave it there.

In this day and age, there is no way to know exactly where every cent that one donates will be used as intended. We have to simply go on faith sometimes and hope that it is. Many organizations are subsidiaries of this or that corporation in such a way that everything is intertwined financially. Unless one wants to search out the exact path of company ownership, then it is very hard to know if even then whether your funds are going to inadvertantly go to an organization of which you do not approve or be used in a fashion that would possibly offend you. Additionally, there is an unseemingly high amount of corporate crime and mishandling that goes on. Therefore, we should simply give with our hearts. Or, not give at all.

We need to find a middle road (or trail) that we are comfortable hiking in our own way. Oh, how incredible the freedom of individuality feels!

Chappy
12-25-2003, 21:03
RagingHampster

Sorry you got upset because I deleted three threads that were not being responded to. But I did bring two of them back after reviewing them. So I deleted one in all.

1. The "Virus" I explained.
2. "Syria" was brought back
3. "Discovery Channel" was brought back.

As for the patches. You are not the only one that has promised to get patches and not sent money. So far I am in the hole over $125.

ATTroll: How much are the patches? Since I'm benefiting from this wonderful site I'll gladly make a purchase. To make it simple you can send them to my home in the US. Just tell me how.

okpik
12-26-2003, 09:23
Think what you want, but as I mentioned before I created this playground. Im sure most will agree and some might not like this, but to go on a site and disrespect the original founder of the site your posting on, is uncalled for and makes you look like a fool.
To quote a "FRIEND" that I visit nightly and have for over 20 years.
"Keep comin', shut up, sit down and listen.

For someone who seems to spread a certain amount of good useable information on rare occasion, you seem mostly self absorbed.

As for founding this child, I have three kids and the more input I have in their life now that they have grown the less gets through and accepted.

I have learned how to listen and not speak most of the time.

Ask for help and be humble, Easy(does it). ;)

prozac
12-26-2003, 10:44
I have to agree with Illininagel partially on this censorship issue. Simply open up a category titled " Off Topic" . People will always post topics that are marginally trail related at best, but at least they will be in a folder viewers can chose to ignore. As for using the "ignore list" button, I personally don't think its a viable option except in the most extreme cases. Just because a member posts something that upsets you at some point doesn't mean that they haven't or won't post something of interest later on but you'll never know because you've permantly chose to ignore them. To put ATTroll in the position of being the arbitrator of what is moral and or relevent is unfair to him except in the most extreme cases of sexist or racist posts.

Blue Jay
12-26-2003, 10:47
One way to judge the quality of a thread is how many "new" (those who rarely post) users have posted. I'd say this is a very good thread. Plus I didn't have to agitate anyone or anything.

chief
12-26-2003, 14:02
Ignore list? No way! It's these kind of threads which make this forum entertaining. It gets a little boring to read, once again, the many ways to cook noodles or the tent vs tarp vs hammock issue. I might meet some of these people on the trail and it could come in handy to know where they're coming from. For instance, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to offer easy a drink or mess with lone wolf (no offense intended in either case). How would I know these things if I hadn't read them here.

Lone Wolf
12-26-2003, 14:07
I'm harmless chief. :cool:

chief
12-26-2003, 14:22
I'm harmless chief. :cool:
only when you want to be! nah, you're cool!

illininagel
12-26-2003, 15:01
Ignore list? No way! It's these kind of threads which make this forum entertaining.

Chief,

I agree with you. I'm only saying that the IGNORE feature is preferable to having the administrator (Attroll) make decisions on whether to delete questionnable threads. By deleting a thread, no one gets a chance to read it. By letting users activate the IGNORE feature (when the user determines it's appropriate), the user is empowered to make his/her own decision.

My preference in nearly all of these matters is to let the user choose, so long as the choice does not hurt others. As the economist Milton Friedman once titled his popular book. "Free to Choose".

chief
12-26-2003, 23:58
illininagel,

totally agree with you about freedom of choice and yes it would be preferrable to the admin having to decide for us.

chief

RagingHampster
01-04-2004, 15:31
ATTroll I would like my photographs removed from WhiteBlaze, and my account as "RagingHampster" deleted.

I wish everyone here the best of luck, and hope to see all of you on the trail!

From Springer to Katahdin and all the little humps in between :p ...

Best wishes,

-RH

Darwin again
03-19-2009, 13:50
Don't mess with the Mouse.

CowHead
03-19-2009, 13:56
The things that make a forum here...lmao... this is by far better than anything on tv or u-tube

Bulldawg
03-19-2009, 20:14
ATTroll I would like my photographs removed from WhiteBlaze, and my account as "RagingHampster" deleted.

I wish everyone here the best of luck, and hope to see all of you on the trail!

From Springer to Katahdin and all the little humps in between :p ...

Best wishes,

-RH

Can we oblige this guy and do what he asked us to do maybe?

Dances with Mice
03-19-2009, 20:54
Can we oblige this guy and do what he asked us to do maybe?What's the rush? He asked 5 years ago.

Bulldawg
03-19-2009, 20:57
What's the rush? He asked 5 years ago.

Sort of what I was thinking. I can get banned from the women's forum faster than a mid west thunderstorm can brew up in early May (for posting the rules of said forum no less), but this poor guy can't get his REQUEST granted in 5 years!!:rolleyes::eek:

Egads
03-19-2009, 21:52
I like fur coats; mmmm...so warm and soft.

ed bell
03-19-2009, 22:09
Sort of what I was thinking. I can get banned from the women's forum faster than a mid west thunderstorm can brew up in early May (for posting the rules of said forum no less), but this poor guy can't get his REQUEST granted in 5 years!!:rolleyes::eek:He can't get that request granted by asking for it on a thread. There may not even be a way to do that. I don't know. I do know that Dances With Mice never fails to crack me up.:D